SD2 Fall '10 Transatlantic Crossing

ctbjr1309

The usual suspects on board again, hence our switch to SDII.

Look forward to seeing you all next November.

Andrew.

Andrew, I see a few more of the usual suspects in the Day 1 photos. I have to say that for a variety of reasons your switch to SD2 this year was a prescient decision. Let's hope that they all have a wonderful trip and make a pact to return to SD1 next year....

We are thinking of a TA. Is there something we should know??

The best way to answer this is to say that a Crossing on SD is like a small community of at most 200 people (100 passengers and 100 crew members). It's a small ship so it's helpful to have a compatible group on board. That will be the case for the November '10 Crossing on SD2.

Thanks. I guess that will require a couple times to find out where you fit. We are quiet, unassuming, non demanding but appreciative of good service type folks. I don't like loud pushy people that take over and demand everything and know everything. I am hoping that will not be the case with SD. We are taking our first SD cruise this December and can not wait!!! I hope it is filled with friendly, not overly loud, no kids (or not many), respectfull type people. I would guess that is what we will find. Thanks again.

Don't know when it happened but I noticed today that the Deck 2 pricing has increased from $2299 to $2499. I expect this was the result of new bookings for the Fall '10 SD2 Crossing made during the Fall '09 SD2 Crossing.

and there hasn't been a corresponding bump in SDI prices yet . . . . guess I need to make my spa reservations early!;)

FT

For those interested in using Starwood points at Le Meridien in Barcelona - it was recently "upgraded" to a Cat 5 and is now 12,000 points a night (was 10,000 just a few weeks ago). Rooms currently available using points are with twin beds or King.

Guess that means I will have to keep wracking up those SPG points:eek:

Glad that my Barcelona Le Meridien reservation is already in place. Guess I better check to make sure that it's still showing the old rate of 10,000 points per night.

Incidentally, I'm rather surprised that the departure date is now less than a year away and nobody has made note of that happy fact. What's with that, DJ?

Glad that my Barcelona Le Meridien reservation is already in place. Guess I better check to make sure that it's still showing the old rate of 10,000 points per night.

Incidentally, I'm rather surprised that the departure date is now less than a year away and nobody has made note of that happy fact. What's with that, DJ?

Guess I am slipping in my old age:p

Actually I am watching the calendar like a hawk so I can book our air as soon as the window opens!

• 3 weeks later...
Just noted on the SD website that the pricing for this trip has increased yet again. Must be filling up.

I have just booked our air using BA miles. We're arriving into BCN via LHR on Nov. 6 and looking forward to it!

DJ's DH better get with the program to book our air!!!

DJ's DH is TRYING...but USAir says we can't go to Barcelona' date=' and return from SJU on miles..."illegal move":( Will start investigating alternatives...:rolleyes:[/quote']

Why am I thinking once we clear the holidays (including a Penn State Bowl) I will be adding "finding air" to my to do list? I suspect ctbjr and FT will have plenty of suggestions!

DJ's DH is TRYING...but USAir says we can't go to Barcelona' date=' and return from SJU on miles..."illegal move":( Will start investigating alternatives...:rolleyes:[/quote']

Will US let you do one way bookings? If so, that's probably the way to go. Some airlines will and other won't, if I'm not mistaken. Good luck.

Will US let you do one way bookings? If so, that's probably the way to go. Some airlines will and other won't, if I'm not mistaken. Good luck.

Unfortunately...US is one that won't:( I spent over an hour on the phone with them last night...the good news, is that DisneyJen is going to Disney World yet again:eek:

The bad news is they said "good luck" also....:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not happy with Delta miles so far for seats to Barcelona:( Looks like I won't be booking airfare until a lot closer to crossing time.

But on another note, Mr. LePisto was talking up the mid Atlantic swim on our recent cruise. I hope it becomes a tradition. I want my certificate! But seriously - is there a risk of sharks? is there a magic screen in the bridge that alerts the captain?

FT

WOO HOO!!!

DJ's DH just booked our first/business class air from Charlotte to Barcelona for the crossing!!

We will be flying USAir from CLT to BOS and then Swiss Air from BOS to Zurich and then on to BCN for 80K USAir Dividend Miles.:p

The USAir award charts change January 6 so we got in just under the wire before the mile increase.

Guess this means DJ'DH is really going!!

WOO HOO!!!

DJ's DH just booked our first/business class air from Charlotte to Barcelona for the crossing!!

We will be flying USAir from CLT to BOS and then Swiss Air from BOS to Zurich and then on to BCN for 80K USAir Dividend Miles.:p

The USAir award charts change January 6 so we got in just under the wire before the mile increase.

Guess this means DJ'DH is really going!!

You know what just froze over!:D Have you booked the return trip from SJU? I booked the ATL to Barcelona on Delta FF miles segment last week, just need to get from GSO to Atlanta

FT

Hello

The Seasoned Sailors agree wholeheartedly that Hades just froze over, especially when DJ'sDH booked the flights:rolleyes: SS were certain that DJ would book it and then drag, push, pull DJ's DH and blackberry on board. It sure looks good for his being on board for the trip.

SS have been looking at flights and might have to hock the family silver for the flight, very pricey right now, do not believe it will become cheaper however. Anyone have any thoughts?????

Right now getting ready for a TA on Regent Mariner in March 2010 so starting the coutdown now. 83 days only.

SS

You know what just froze over!:D Have you booked the return trip from SJU? I booked the ATL to Barcelona on Delta FF miles segment last week, just need to get from GSO to Atlanta

FT

Tell me about it! I told you it was going to be a LONG winter:p

Will work on the return from SJU to CLT tomorrow ... well maybe after tomorrow since we have the last social event of the season tomorrow night here at the house (we will see you and hopefully zqvol).

Hello

The Seasoned Sailors agree wholeheartedly that Hades just froze over, especially when DJ'sDH booked the flights:rolleyes: SS were certain that DJ would book it and then drag, push, pull DJ's DH and blackberry on board. It sure looks good for his being on board for the trip.

SS have been looking at flights and might have to hock the family silver for the flight, very pricey right now, do not believe it will become cheaper however. Anyone have any thoughts?????

Right now getting ready for a TA on Regent Mariner in March 2010 so starting the coutdown now. 83 days only.

SS

Actually SS we had a test run of life without the Blackberry on our most recent trip from Disney (Dec. 18 to 23). Seems DJ's DH lost his Blackberry in the cab on the way to the golf course. Let's just say that we were very impressed with Disney's service as they assured DJ's DH that he would indeed survive without his Blackberry and that they would indeed find said machine.

It was found and returned to me and I made sure to get a message to him via the ranger that the Blackberry was in safe hands ... his wife's:D

The ranger and golf pro told DJ's DH that this was the first step in his recovery program.

I agree that air will continue to increase over the next few months as the airlines reduce capacity.

Hoping you will post a review of your TA on Regent!

...Let's just say that we were very impressed with Disney's service as they assured DJ's DH that he would indeed survive without his Blackberry and that they would indeed find said machine....

It was truly an amazing experience... Disney Cast Members were quoted to say "It will be OK, Mr. (DJ's DH)... we will find your Blackberry"... and sure enough, enough Pixie dust was spread to avoid a total catastrophe!

It amazes me that such a simple act (booking air 11 months out) can be taken as "monumental" by some of you. Was there ever a doubt:confused:

Archived