SD2 Fall '10 Transatlantic Crossing

ctbjr1309

Seasoned Sailors want to thank Disney Jen for the wonderful insight on our TA. It seems to have done the trick and our friend is going to book the trip.

Friend usually travels on Regent and a couple of times HAL, but Seasoned Sailors have been raving on and on about SD for a long time, as to the differences in the lines. Now thanks to DJ it looks like it will happen, another convert.

Now the only worry is will there be enough Diet Tonic to serve ALL the folks who need it including DJ:D and the Seasoned Sailors.

Be Well

SS

Seasoned Sailors want to thank Disney Jen for the wonderful insight on our TA. It seems to have done the trick and our friend is going to book the trip.

Friend usually travels on Regent and a couple of times HAL, but Seasoned Sailors have been raving on and on about SD for a long time, as to the differences in the lines. Now thanks to DJ it looks like it will happen, another convert.

Now the only worry is will there be enough Diet Tonic to serve ALL the folks who need it including DJ:D and the Seasoned Sailors.

Be Well

SS

My goodness I hope there won't be rationing of Diet Tonic:eek:

Glad I was able to help with the conversion :p

Yes, I am the new convert, thanks to SS twisting my arm (ouch!). And thanks to you, DJ, for your help too! I am still concerned about sailing across the Atlantic Ocean for 12 days on a ship that is one-tenth the size of the Mariner but I know it's not its first time so I'll just have to adjust. I'm on the Mariner for a 10 day crossing in March (Ft. Lauderdale/Bermuda/Funchal) so I'll see how I handle that.

SS has already given me the daily schedule (or his/her/their version of it) and I think I can buck up under the strain. But I drink soda with my vodka!

Yes, I am the new convert, thanks to SS twisting my arm (ouch!). And thanks to you, DJ, for your help too! I am still concerned about sailing across the Atlantic Ocean for 12 days on a ship that is one-tenth the size of the Mariner but I know it's not its first time so I'll just have to adjust. I'm on the Mariner for a 10 day crossing in March (Ft. Lauderdale/Bermuda/Funchal) so I'll see how I handle that.

SS has already given me the daily schedule (or his/her/their version of it) and I think I can buck up under the strain. But I drink soda with my vodka!

Welcome aboard AtMaui! So glad that you will be joining us:D

I do hope that you will post a review of your crossing on Mariner!

Gosh so much interest in the transatlantic cruises.

Isn't this too rough? It's just a little ship sailing for 9 days straight.

Those of you who have done it, do you simply have stronger stomachs than most, or have you found it to be negligible in the difference?

I've made the Fall crossing three times now and perhaps I should lie and say that's its extremely rough (more champagne for me if the ship doesn't fill up:cool:). But its not - with no pressure to make any islands the Captain has the ability to go around bad weather. I've had smoother seas on each of the crossings than in March in the Caribbean. I can't speak for the seas on a spring crossing though -- can't bring myself to get up an hour earlier every other day that going East means and having to fly back across the pond and back to work at the end.

FT

I've made the Fall crossing three times now and perhaps I should lie and say that's its extremely rough (more champagne for me if the ship doesn't fill up:cool:). But its not - with no pressure to make any islands the Captain has the ability to go around bad weather. I've had smoother seas on each of the crossings than in March in the Caribbean. I can't speak for the seas on a spring crossing though -- can't bring myself to get up an hour earlier every other day that going East means and having to fly back across the pond and back to work at the end.

FT

What FT said. Plus, SD tends to build an extra day or so into the transatlantic schedule. That way they don't have to go full speed all the time, can detour around weather or make unexpected calls in order to drop off ill crew members or passengers or pick up equipment, all of which we did the last 3 Fall crossings on SD2.

What FT said. Plus, SD tends to build an extra day or so into the transatlantic schedule. That way they don't have to go full speed all the time, can detour around weather or make unexpected calls in order to drop off ill crew members or passengers or pick up equipment, all of which we did the last 3 Fall crossings on SD2.

So that means we can make a detour to get more diet tonic and champagne:p

Thank you DJ

Whew, now SS know that Sapphire(Disney Jen and SS), limes(Ditto), Champagne (FT), Red Stripe and Assorted Beer for the lads in the office, and Vodka and soda for AtMaui will not be in short supply. All that worry for nothing, now the Seasoned Sailors can sleep at night.

Starting to make a countdown to that day:eek: only a days away and SS are getting very excited, plus a few extra days in Barcelona will be fun.

Be Well

SS

Thank you DJ

Whew, now SS know that Sapphire(Disney Jen and SS), limes(Ditto), Champagne (FT), Red Stripe and Assorted Beer for the lads in the office, and Vodka and soda for AtMaui will not be in short supply. All that worry for nothing, now the Seasoned Sailors can sleep at night.

Starting to make a countdown to that day:eek: only a days away and SS are getting very excited, plus a few extra days in Barcelona will be fun.

Be Well

SS

Only 423 days to go ... but who's counting:rolleyes:

Been out West so missed you for a day or two but, even without a countdown clock, I believe it is 78 days to SeaDream, 77 to SXM landing!! But yes, who's counting.:D

I was wondering where you where Jim ... it was awfully quiet without you:p

Have you received your documents yet? I would like a full report on the new documents!

I was wondering where you where Jim ... it was awfully quiet without you:p

Have you received your documents yet? I would like a full report on the new documents!

Documents, heck, they have not even upgraded me to the Owner's Suite yet! Imagine that.:cool:

I was just on the spg site. I have stayed at Le Meridian on Los Ramblas in Barca and it is a fine hotel. But I cant help but notice that the W is opening next month. Would we rather stay at the new modern W pre-cruise, or in the center of things at the Le Meridian? Check it out....

Would we rather stay at the new modern W pre-cruise, or in the center of things at the Le Meridian? Check it out....

Thanks for the heads up, LBLB. I hadn't noticed the impending opening of the W in Barcelona. Looks like a nice spot. I like the idea of staying at Le Meridien due to the location and but also like the looks of the W. Will take more points for W than Le Meridien.

Now that I've thoroughly analyzed the options, my conclusion is that I'm ambivalent. Anybody else have any words of wisdom on this topic?

Nope ... just let me know how many points I need to rack up:p

We have never been to Spain so we are flexible as it will all be new to us!

Points . . . and points . . . I'm thinking about going a week early . . .will be the first time I've taken 3 weeks off in a very long time so I'm up for the group decision . . . local neighborhood "flavor" would be nice . . . restaurant last year in Tenerife was one of the best experiences ever. We were just discussing with Toybar this weekend and would love to experience something simiilar in Barcelona.

FT

Points . . . and points . . . I'm thinking about going a week early . . .will be the first time I've taken 3 weeks off in a very long time so I'm up for the group decision . . . local neighborhood "flavor" would be nice . . . restaurant last year in Tenerife was one of the best experiences ever. We were just discussing with Toybar this weekend and would love to experience something simiilar in Barcelona.

FT

Hi Teresa:

I have a friend that lived in Barcelona until recently. He has sent me an 8 page guide of places in Barcelona that he wrote. I will email it to you directly. If the places are great, thank me, if not, not my fault.:D

Hi Teresa:

I have a friend that lived in Barcelona until recently. He has sent me an 8 page guide of places in Barcelona that he wrote. I will email it to you directly. If the places are great, thank me, if not, not my fault.:D

FT ... Please be sure to share Jim's travel guide with the rest of the group!!

Hi Teresa:

In advance -muchas gracias, senor. Still can't belive you prefer a northern Atlantic crossing to our warm southern route on SeaDream. I understand your family reasons -- but think SD would be just too enticing.

FT

In advance -muchas gracias, senor. Still can't belive you prefer a northern Atlantic crossing to our warm southern route on SeaDream. I understand your family reasons -- but think SD would be just too enticing.

FT

Got to have that rock & roll when it is rough, accompanied by a martini while wearing a tuxedo. Hey, did you get the stuff I emailed you??

Jim.

Hello to All,

Just wondering where to eat and stay in this great city. Have never stayed but have sailed into and out of several times.

Had Tapas in several small bars and they were excellent, SS want more especially Brood of Baby Eels in Garlic, and Gambas with Chroizo, YUM.

any ideas will be greatly appreciated as it will be SS plus ATMaui.

AtMaui and SS have just booked a spring Transatlantic on RSSC and a summer river cruise on the Duoro River in Portugal. Any one want to go along, plenty of room. Lots of food, wine and drink available.

Be Well,

SS

Got to have that rock & roll when it is rough, accompanied by a martini while wearing a tuxedo. Hey, did you get the stuff I emailed you??

Jim.

Doing a TA on one of the Queens is on my bucket list Jim. I do enjoy a martini in hand while dressed to the nines:p

Hello to All,

Just wondering where to eat and stay in this great city. Have never stayed but have sailed into and out of several times.

Had Tapas in several small bars and they were excellent, SS want more especially Brood of Baby Eels in Garlic, and Gambas with Chroizo, YUM.

any ideas will be greatly appreciated as it will be SS plus ATMaui.

AtMaui and SS have just booked a spring Transatlantic on RSSC and a summer river cruise on the Duoro River in Portugal. Any one want to go along, plenty of room. Lots of food, wine and drink available.

Be Well,

SS

You really are quite the Seasoned Sailor:D Would love to have a review of the TA on RSSC!

Not only is Barcelona a new city for us ... Spain is a new country for us. FT there is no way I could EVER talk DJ's DH into a THREE-WEEK vacation.

Doing a TA on one of the Queens is on my bucket list Jim. I do enjoy a martini in hand while dressed to the nines:p

Make sure it is on the Queen Mary 2. The Queen Victoria and upcoming Queen Elizabeth are merely re worked Vista class cruisers. QM2 is a 30 knot capable North Atlantic Liner. Really makes a difference. After all that dressing up, I am more than ready to head back to flip flops at White Bay and SeaDream.

J.

Archived