Question about flights out of Ft Lauderdale

mikiecc

We are arriving on a cruise into FLL on 12/22/09 and wonder if we can make a 10:50AM flight on Southwest if the ship arrives at 7AM. The only other choice is to catch a flight from West Palm Beach (WPB) at 2PM back to California.

Does anyone have any idea if the 10:50AM flight is possible to catch?

Please let me know your thoughts. We think that it will be close but the cost to go to WPB is a $110+ car ride.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

We are arriving on a cruise into FLL on 12/22/09 and wonder if we can make a 10:50AM flight on Southwest if the ship arrives at 7AM. The only other choice is to catch a flight from West Palm Beach (WPB) at 2PM back to California.

Please let me know your thoughts. We think that it will be close but the cost to go to WPB is a $110+ car ride.

Almost anything's "possible". :p

I won't advise you either way. However, I disembarked Maasdam in April using "Express Disembarkation".

The ship arrived on time and cleared without difficulty. I was at at FLL between 8:30 & 9:00AM.

NOTE: There was only one other ship in port that day.

Whats' your backup plan if you miss the 10:40 flight? Is it staying overnight in Fort Lauderdale? That's not such a terrible option.

If your concern is financial, $110+ is not too much for peace of mind.

IF the ship is on time and there are no problems with it clearing customs and immigration, yes you should be able to make the flight. Take a cab, not a Princess transfer or a shared van (you could sit there for half an hour waiting for the driver to fill the van).

If you cannot do self disembarkation, just make sure you are in the first color group called.

Also, it would be worth checking to see how many ships are in Ft Lauderdale that morning, as it will impact availability of cabs and also the security lines at the airport. The airport isn't that big, and can be swamped by three large ships....they do have curbside check in, so that may be a help.

We have easily been sitting in the airport at the gate by 9:30 am after disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale and not rushing a bit...but there weren't five ships in either. We hate to cut it too close and add pressure to the end of our cruise, so usually we don't book an early flight home.

Have an alternative plan in mind.....just in case. As in, make sure you can manage it if you have to fly home the next day if things don't go smoothly. Hotel on standby, Southwest Airlines phone number.....

Have a wonderful cruise.:)

Can you make a 10:50 out of FLL Yes. Can you miss a 10:50 out of FLL? Yes.

We were scheduled to dock at 7am in FLL. The first people got off about 7:50am. We were off about 8:10 with Princess transfers to FLL. We were checked in, thru security and in the Crown Room before 9am. But everything went well.

If you book the 10:50 be prepared for a stressful morning. If there are problems, you may not make it.

We made a 1005 in February with 55mins to spare after getting to the gate. Unless the ship is delayed you will have no problem as you can see the airport from the ship's berth.

Also, there were 10 ships in port that morning.

Mike:)

When we are in a gambling mood, we have booked/and made a 10:30 flight in the past. When we would rather play it safe (this often depends on how many ships are in port that day), we go for flights more in the 11:30 range. Good Luck!

If you can disembark early enough I would highly recommend using the Bags to Go option from Southwest out of FLL...You pay them $20 to check your bags in from the port...After you exit the port there is a ramp that you walk down to the Southwest checkin counter..You wont see your bags again until you get to the airport of your final destination...

We have decided to take the less pressure and worry approach and to stay the extra day in FLL. I appears to us to end a great cruise with stress and added pressure is just not worth the extra bucks for the hotel for one night.

Again, thank all of you for your replies and suggestions. That is what makes this board so great.

We have decided to take the less pressure and worry approach and to stay the extra day in FLL. I appears to us to end a great cruise with stress and added pressure is just not worth the extra bucks for the hotel for one night.

Again, thank all of you for your replies and suggestions. That is what makes this board so great.

Great decision, an extra day in Fort Lauderdale can be wonderful after a delightful cruise. Enjoy!

You have choosen wisely. Have a great trip.

You made the right choice in the end. It's better to be safe than scrambling around like we did in San Juan one time. It was a mess but until we made it, worry like crazy. Always give a little extra time due to the unknown.

Enjoy

miccki - good decision. It is tough enough scrambling around that morning, getting of the ship, getting transportation to airport, getting in LONG lines in FLL, etc. without the added stress of a flight that may be too early and missed.:)

Now you can just relax and have a great day and evening in Fort Lauderdale.:):D:)

And now you will miss the post cruise crush at the FLL airport. No long checkin or security lines!

We are going using the Princess transfer from the port in Fort Lauderdale back to Fort Lauderdale Air Port. Typically what time does the Princess transfers leave the Port going back to Fort Lauderdale Air Port? I'm considering booking a 12:30 PM return flight. Another concern we have is on our disembarkation day there will be a total of 4 Cruise ships in port. That's a lot of people possibly heading for the Air Port at the same time. At least by using the Princess transfer we don't have the worry of about getting a taxi back to the Air Port.

We are going using the Princess transfer from the port in Fort Lauderdale back to Fort Lauderdale Air Port. Typically what time does the Princess transfers leave the Port going back to Fort Lauderdale Air Port? I'm considering booking a 12:30 PM return flight. Another concern we have is on our disembarkation day there will be a total of 4 Cruise ships in port. That's a lot of people possibly heading for the Air Port at the same time. At least by using the Princess transfer we don't have the worry of about getting a taxi back to the Air Port.

I am not sure of the time but your group should one of the first off the Ship. You should have plenty of time to make a 12:30 flight.

Just so you know - a taxi is about $10-$15 to the airport. This is one port that the princess transfers are WAY overpriced.

A 12:30 flight is easily doable. The Princess bus won't leave until it's full, so if you rush off the ship and are the first people in the bus you will have the frustration of sitting there waiting for it to fill.

And now you will miss the post cruise crush at the FLL airport. No long checkin or security lines!

Yes, but she will encounter the pre- Christmas rush. December 23rd will be a very busy day at all airports.

We have never missed a flight after noontime.:) Have used both Princess transportation and taxi. I found the bus fills up quickly and if I am remembering correctly, certain buses served certain airlines.

We started headng for the gangway about 8am when we were on the Pacific Princess in March. We had rincess transfers to FLL. We were checked in, thru security and sitting in the Crown Room by about 9am for a 12:30 flight. Of course it left late.

I agree with Chamima. Cabs are plentiful, cheap, and only 15 minutes getting to and from FLL. That is why we like to cruise from FLL. (Only problem is there are not as many nonstop flights from Chicago as there used to be.) Every time I have used Princess transport, we have sat around waiting for ages for the bus to fill up. They don't load the buses based on your flight time.

If you can disembark early enough I would highly recommend using the Bags to Go option from Southwest out of FLL......

"Bags must be presented three hours prior to departure and are only accepted on flights departing after 11:45 AM. "

Archived