Top 10 things to do in Rome

Bod

Help, I am visiting Rome for the first time in september and I'm not sure what we should see or in what order. We are happy to just walk about but i'm confused as where to start. I really want to see the trevi fountain but apart from that I'm not sure what to do?

Any advice would be great.

Thanjs

There are about a hundred guide books and ten times as many web sites on Rome - it won't take you long to zero in on things, but the "top" things depend on what is important to you. Art? History? Archeology? Shopping? etc.

The "typical" list of Rome highlights includes (in no particular order):

• Colosseum
  • Forum
  • Trevi Fountain
  • Pantheon
  • Vatican Museums/Raphael Rooms/Sistine Chapel
  • St. Peter's
  • Pantheon
  • Spanish Steps
  • Castel Sant'Angelo
  • Piazza Navona
  • Campo dei Fiori

But this list leaves out lots of things that, if you are into art, for example, might otherwise be on your list.

I recommend that you go to a bookstore and look at the travel section. There are several well-known travel guides that have abridged books like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Rome-EYEWITNESS-TRAVEL-GUIDE/dp/0756623987/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246902275&sr=1-3

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fodors-Romes-25-Best-8th/dp/1400003830/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246902343&sr=1-6

These should give you some ideas, at least. You don't say how long you are going to be in Rome, but if it's for more than just a day or two, I highly recommend the Rick Steves' Rome guide for details on what to see and how to do it on your own.

Ask anyone for their "Top 10" list of things to do in Rome, and you'll get many different variations. Here's mine (in no particular order):

1. Colosseum/Forum Romanum/Palatine Hill (really 3 things, so I'm cheating here....)

2. Pantheon

3. Piazza Navona

4. Capitoline Museum

5. Vatican Museum/Sistine chapel

6. Appian Way/Aqueduct park

7. Galleria Borghese

8. St. Peters Basilica

9. Trevi Fountain

10. San Clemente

There are about a hundred guide books and ten times as many web sites on Rome - it won't take you long to zero in on things, but the "top" things depend on what is important to you. Art? History? Archeology? Shopping? etc.

The "typical" list of Rome highlights includes (in no particular order):

• Colosseum
  • Forum
  • Trevi Fountain
  • Pantheon
  • Vatican Museums/Raphael Rooms/Sistine Chapel
  • St. Peter's
  • Pantheon
  • Spanish Steps
  • Castel Sant'Angelo
  • Piazza Navona
  • Campo dei Fiori

But this list leaves out lots of things that, if you are into art, for example, might otherwise be on your list.

By the way, I totally agree that the Pantheon is so good it must be visited twice. :D

We're going to be in Rome in a couple of weeks and one must see place is the Capuchin chapel in the Piazza Barberini if you have pre-teen boys especially. I was there when I was about 12 and it was the highlight of my trip. The interior is decorated with the bones of the monks who lived there. I know, very morbid but little boys just eat that up. Kind of inconvenient because it's closed in the middle of the day but I'm planning our day in Rome around it.

Not really into art and as this is a stop over before we cruise I just want to make sure we don't miss something that we should done.

If you don't have a full day and are simply flying say in AM then need to be at the ship by afternoon, doing anything Rome will be a challenge. Figure at least an extra hour best at airport for luggage and customs, then another 45' to Rome. You also need to figure out what you are going to do with luggage. Lastly you need to budget figure ~ 90' to get back from Rome to port.

If you do have time and even if you aren't an art / relegously interested the Vatican and Sistine chapel are really worth a peek. Can be crowded but worth a peek for an hour if only for the signficance of the work and architecture and impact on world culture and politics too

It's a challenge to do 10 things let alone say 5 things when you have a full day. Likely you can read a quick overview of the biggies here

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome.htm

and decide. Or grab a coffee and do a quick scan of the dozen+ tourbooks at your local bookstore. I never found it worthwhile to actually buy any of these, but thats me :D

[url=http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome.htm][/url]

A good guide book is essential in your case, preferably one with a map that shows you roughly where the sites are so you can group what you want to see. Everybody's top 10 will likely be different and there are always some people that love one, others that think its a waste of time and others that cross things off their list of things to see. Some sites only take a little while and others can take hours so that's another factor.

For us the list would be:

1. Pantheon (we usually go here multiple times)

2. Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel;

3. St. Peter's Basilica

4. Piazza Navona

5. Colosseum/Palatine Hill/Forum

6. Basilica di San Clemente

7. Borghese Gallery

8. Campo di Fiori

9. Capitoline Museum

10. Any church we happen upon

Spanish Steps is no big deal to us, we know some people that love it and would never miss it. For us the Trevi Fountain is much prettier at night than during the day, very likely to be packed with people at any time except for very early in the morning.

We're going to be in Rome in a couple of weeks and one must see place is the Capuchin chapel in the Piazza Barberini if you have pre-teen boys especially. I was there when I was about 12 and it was the highlight of my trip. The interior is decorated with the bones of the monks who lived there. I know, very morbid but little boys just eat that up. Kind of inconvenient because it's closed in the middle of the day but I'm planning our day in Rome around it.

In addition to the Capuchin Crypts don't forget Santa Maria del Popolo and the Piazza dell Popolo. They're probably more in demand since Angels and Demons, but still something you will remember.

By the way the formal name of the crypts is Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini and it's on the Via Veneto.

All of the above......and......

1. Strolling the piazzas in the evening like the locals do....

2. Getting a yummy margherita pizza for lunch.....

3. Getting a wonderful dinner (that includes caprese!) at an outdoor cafe....

4. Getting a huge gelato after dinner......

5. Throwing my coin in Trevi so I KNOW I will come back....

6. Just finding a neat shady spot and watching all the people....tourists and locals alike..... you can tell them apart ;)

7. Sit on the rooftop bar and watch the sun go down.......(Hotel Albergo del Senato is great for this one)

8. SHOPPING ! Usually for goodies for other people to bring home.

9. SHOPPING ! FOR ME !

10. Waking early and watching and HEARING the city come alive.

11. Planning what to do next time we get back :D

I know these are silly...... but they can all be done in between all the other good suggestions that have already been posted.

All of the above lists are great. However, personally I think that the most memorable sights are the ones you find on your own or by accident. On our last trip there were too many times when we took pains to see a sight only to feel that it looked just like the pictures on the internet. Don't necessary miss the biggies but take time to wander. My favorite memory of Rome is of San Giovanni in Laterano (mainly because it was better than I expected).

1. colloseum (gladiators)10E

2. crypt of cappucin monks(cool dead guys) free

3. san clemente(dimly lit underground ruins)6E

4. st peters (dead guys,cool statues) free

5. pantheon(free guides,quick tour) free

6. the vittoriano(war museum,elevator to roof) 6E

7. piazza navona,piazza popolo,(crowds,music) free

8. capitoline museum,(huge statues,great views of ancient rome) 10E

9. st angelo(all the regular castle stuff,good views)6E

10. circus maximus(ben-hur chariot race) free

This list is very light on art but IMHO i find Rome far too vibrant a city to spend a lot of time in museums if you only have a day or 2. On top of that the major museums are hugely crowded with people rushing through to see 2 or 3 things. All these sights are in central Rome and could be visited on foot in 1 day.

All of the above lists are great. However, personally I think that the most memorable sights are the ones you find on your own or by accident. On our last trip there were too many times when we took pains to see a sight only to feel that it looked just like the pictures on the internet. Don't necessary miss the biggies but take time to wander. My favorite memory of Rome is of San Giovanni in Laterano (mainly because it was better than I expected).

I both agree and disagree!

On the one hand, I do agree that you can "discover" treasures around every corner in Rome. I remember how thrilled I was when I came across Hadrian's temple -- had no idea what it was and had to go look it up.

On the other hand, I also will never forget my first visit to -- and sight of -- the Forum Romanum. I could not believe that I was allowed to walk right in (for free in those days), on the actual stones of the Via Sacra, among the ruins of the very buildings frequented by the likes of Caesar.... Sure, I'd seen pictures, but it was nothing like the real thing. I was 14, and that visit sparked a lifelong love of Roman history and all things Roman.

All of the above......and......

1. Strolling the piazzas in the evening like the locals do....

2. Getting a yummy margherita pizza for lunch.....

3. Getting a wonderful dinner (that includes caprese!) at an outdoor cafe....

4. Getting a huge gelato after dinner......

5. Throwing my coin in Trevi so I KNOW I will come back....

6. Just finding a neat shady spot and watching all the people....tourists and locals alike..... you can tell them apart ;)

7. Sit on the rooftop bar and watch the sun go down.......(Hotel Albergo del Senato is great for this one)

8. SHOPPING ! Usually for goodies for other people to bring home.

9. SHOPPING ! FOR ME !

10. Waking early and watching and HEARING the city come alive.

11. Planning what to do next time we get back :D

I know these are silly...... but they can all be done in between all the other good suggestions that have already been posted.

Your list is officially my favourite!! I love seeing the sights of Rome (or any city) but to me the true do not miss 'sight' is always the city itself and just soaking it all in!

Yes, I think one of the nicest parts of a trip to Rome, is to do it like the romans do :o Having some Espresso in local bars, having a great italien dinner, enjoy the spirit of this old capital. What I would not want to miss, is the Vatikan and its museum and the foro romano. I would go to the Piazza di Santa Maria to have drinks and look around and visit the churche. If you are not into art, maybe the catacobms might interest you. Have drink in the Hotel Hassler and walk down the spnish steps and do some (window) shopping in the surrounding streets.

• 2 months later...

My friend and I will be in Rome for a day on a cruise we are doing. We booked shuttles that will take us into town in the morning then pick us up about 7 hours later. We really want to see the colloseum, Trevi Fountain, St. Peters and the Vatikan. Is my understanding correct that you can walk from place to place (few miles is ok)? Also we want to get some local wine, cheese and bread and just relax in a park and watch the locals. What are people's thoughts on this? We are both 21.

My friend and I will be in Rome for a day on a cruise we are doing. We booked shuttles that will take us into town in the morning then pick us up about 7 hours later. We really want to see the colloseum, Trevi Fountain, St. Peters and the Vatikan. Is my understanding correct that you can walk from place to place (few miles is ok)? Also we want to get some local wine, cheese and bread and just relax in a park and watch the locals. What are people's thoughts on this? We are both 21.

I think you will have a wonderful day !

The Vatican and St. Peters is a ways from Trevi and Coliseum but definately walkable for 21 year olds :D We took a taxi just to save time. But walked every where else.

If you don't spend too much time at the Vatican (museums are huge) you could also hit the Pantheon - which is a must see and it is also close to Piazza Navonna which is pretty cool. That is a good place to take your bread, wine and cheese ! There is a very neat store behind the Pantheon to the left (in Piazza Minerva) which sells all kinds of goodies.....and then there is one just to the right of the Pantheon that has cheese, meats etc.... yum.

My point is .... if you have a good plan laid out before hand you will not only cover more, but not be stressed about time etc....and enjoy this wonderful city to its fullest.

Have fun planning.....get a good map of the old city area - Best advice !

ps: the Pantheon is very close to Trevi....signs are easy to follow.

I think you will have a wonderful day !

The Vatican and St. Peters is a ways from Trevi and Coliseum but definately walkable for 21 year olds :D We took a taxi just to save time. But walked every where else.

If you don't spend too much time at the Vatican (museums are huge) you could also hit the Pantheon - which is a must see and it is also close to Piazza Navonna which is pretty cool. That is a good place to take your bread, wine and cheese ! There is a very neat store behind the Pantheon to the left (in Piazza Minerva) which sells all kinds of goodies.....and then there is one just to the right of the Pantheon that has cheese, meats etc.... yum.

My point is .... if you have a good plan laid out before hand you will not only cover more, but not be stressed about time etc....and enjoy this wonderful city to its fullest.

Have fun planning.....get a good map of the old city area - Best advice !

ps: the Pantheon is very close to Trevi....signs are easy to follow.

Thanks!! We wont spend too much time at the Vatican, mainly just to get a picture of it so we will also go see the Pantheon.

First of all, a good map is necessary and will really help you plot this all out. I've suggested one path below that will avoid backtracking.

If you are taking the ship's shuttle, it will generally drop you off at the Vatican, which isn't ideal as the Vatican is most crowded in the morning. St. Peter's is free. The Vatican museum requires a ticket and is the only way to see the Sistine chapel. I realize this is a "must see" for many, but if it isn't for you, I would suggest that you skip the museum. Unless you pre-reserve a ticket, the lines can be quite long especially in the morning.

After briefly doing the Vatican, you can walk past Castel Sant Angelo and across the Tiber, through Piazza Navona, past the Pantheon, and to Trevi Fountain. Throw in your coins (but watch your wallets) and have a quick lunch or gelato to fortify you for the walk to the Colosseum. It's about a 25 minute walk from Trevi, give or take. You probably will only have a chance to view it from the outside; also have a look at the Roman Forum alongside.

If you are running short of time or getting tired, you can grab a taxi at the Colosseo metro station (right across the street from the Colosseum) to take you back to St. Peters. Otherwise it's a longish walk back but you can walk through the old Ghetto area, along the Tiber, and back over to the Vatican where your shuttle will pick you up.

If you want to do all these things, it doesn't really leave much time for relaxing or people-watching.....

This was a pretty cool way to get around if you don't have a lot of time. You can get on at one of about 10 stops. Big Red double decker bus. You pay one time, 15E , they give you a map and earphones (for lame narration) and you can ride all day. It stops by all the biggees; St Peters/Vatican, Piaza Navonna, Trevi Fountan, Colloseum.... You can get on and off as many times as you want. If you stay on, the total loop takes about two hours and they run about every 15-20 minutes.

Just another alternative for a short stay.

Yes, you can walk from place to place. My husband and I have done that the two times we've been to Rome. Get a good map and mark all the places you want to see. I copied a good map from a guide book and used it on the trip. Have fun. Rome is fabulous!

Archived