Alternatives to Muster Drill

In light of RCCL recent attempts on Majesty to find an alternative to the current muster drill process, it got me to thinking of a viable alternative. With the thought process that it is important for everyone to meet their cabin steward, the following is my idea. At least 30 minutes prior to sailing, all passengers must meet in their cabin with their cabin steward, try on their lifevest, go over where the assigned muster station is located and how to get there. Each cabin member must then sign a document stating they understand and are in agreement with the presentation. This can be done via form or electronically through the TV. The basis for my change of the current method would be because in the event of a real emergency, there is a good chance your assigned muster station will not be an option, the current south florida heat, and bumper car type gathering with vests is the worst part of a cruise experience.

While I agree that the Muster Drill isn't the thing we cruise for, it does have it's place...That would be a decent option, but I've had room attendants that don't speak English very well (and what if the cabin occupant didn't speak ANY language the attendant spoke??) so I'm not sure that would work as planned! Good idea, tho!

Consider the Muster Drill a "bonding experience", and do it, and be done with it!

This doesn't seem very enforceable. One of the reasons the muster drill is done with everyone present is to make the process universal. One set of clear instructions delivered by one person. Honestly, the whole process isn't all that horrible. Accept it as a part of the cruise experience, get through it, and get on with having fun on your vacation.

I really don't understand why people are so opposed to the muster drill. Let's face it, if the worst were to happen, you need to know what to do!

That said, I see a couple of problems with your suggestion

1. it could take an hour or more for the room steward to go through & "discuss" with every guest. You can bet there would be people who would want to move the beds around, discuss the balcony, have them empty the fridge, etc.

2. if there were to be an emergency, you have to know more than just "how to buckle a life vest". You have to know where to go and understand that the elevators will be shut down.

Again ... I just don't get the big deal about spending 30 minutes to ensure you know how to handle an emergency. :confused::confused::confused:

The nice thing about the change they have been trying on Majesty with not having to wear the life jacket at the muster evidently is working. I just read a review on this board and the poster stated they did not have to wear their life jacket either and it was NOT on the Majesty.

Hopefully they will make this fleet wide soon. The jacket it just too HOT in FL in the summer. I am a firm believer in the muster drill however, specifically due to the fire on another company's ship.

Tim

I have no objection to the drill itself, but just don't make us put on those life jackets BEFORE we get to our stations! I am rather "fluffy" and I don't like not being able to see my feet going down the stairs to my muster station.

On other cruise lines (Princess and Cunard, as I recall) we just brought them with us to the drill (which was held in various lounges and the specialty restaurants) and put them on after the little speech part.

Long post... but here it is... the USCG & SOLAS info on the issue of emergency and safety drills... oh... and at the end I've thrown in the info on the issue regarding PDFs (Personal Flotation Devices) in the Stateroom or not... :)

Contrary to popular belief you can not be fined for not attending the lifeboat drill. You can… at the behest of the Master of the Vessel, be left at port, without compensation. Skip out on the drill, especially when the Coast Guard is on board doing an inspection, and don’t be surprised if the Captain does just that. Beside all the really good reasons to go the lifeboat drill… that would one fact might get those wanting to skip the drill…

One thing to remember is the Fed Regs require a "Muster" -- a gathering of all individuals -- not a viewing on a TV... not an announcement... not individual instructions... but a Muster!

The following is directly from a CRUISE SHIP FACT SHEET put out by the US Coast Guard. The link to the site of the fact sheet (which has really good information) follows…

Emergency Drills. Coast Guard regulations and SOLAS require that the master of an ocean cruise ship periodically hold fire and lifeboat drills. They are intended not only to give the crew practice, but also to show the passengers how to act in the event of an emergency at sea. Passengers should participate fully in these drills. The timing and frequency of the drills depends in large part on the length of the voyage. On voyages that will last more than one week, the first drill will be held before the ship gets underway (passengers who embark at the last minute sometimes miss this drill), with additional drills at least once a week thereafter. On voyages of one week or less, the drills must be held within 24 hours after leaving port.

Coast Guard and international regulations also require a notice to be posted conspicuously in each passenger cabin or stateroom. The notice explains the following: How to recognize the ship's emergency signals (alarm bells and whistle signals are normally supplemented by announcements made over the ship's public address system); the location of life preservers provided for passengers in that stateroom (special life preservers for children will be provided, if necessary, by the room steward); instructions and pictures explaining how to put on the life preserver; and the lifeboat to which passengers in that stateroom are assigned. (Note: Passengers need not be alarmed if they discover that the total number of person's on board a cruise ship (passengers + crew) exceeds the total capacity of the ship's lifeboats. Modern cruise ships carry a variety of survival craft. Passengers are invariably assigned to lifeboats or similar survival craft. The total capacity of all the survival craft on board will exceed the total number of persons on the vessel).

When fire and lifeboat drills are held, crew members from the stewards department are generally responsible for assisting and directing passengers in the drill. Direction signs showing the path to reach lifeboats are posted in passageways and stairways throughout the ship. The crewmember in charge of each lifeboat will muster the passengers assigned to that lifeboat, and give passengers any final instructions necessary in the proper method of donning and adjusting their life preservers. If there is any portion of the emergency procedures the passenger doesn't understand, they should question the crew until the instructions are clear and completely understood.

Read more:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/cruise_factsheet.html#ixzz0Khd6PEQI&C

or http://www.hickeylawfirm.com/pdf/uscg.pdf

And regarding whether PDFs need to be in the stateroom --

Here you go... I have the Federal Regulations... which I'm going to post right now... along with the link -- so you can check it all out!!

FYI... I'm married to a Coastie -- 27 years... and I can tell you that there have never been a requirement that PFDs (personal floation devices) be in each cabin or stateroom. The only regulation is that there is at least one for everyone on board, that they are approved and the type required by that vessel, and that they are READILY AVAILABLE. Therefore, if the ship has Lifejackets in each stateroom they are required to have additional at each muster station -- the key words being readily available. IF jackets are locked in staterooms they are not readily available. You'll notice that the pfd's are not locked at the muster stations. The wording on the Fed Regs is very specific... and you'll notice that reading the following regs --

§ 199.212 Lifejackets, it states:

(b) Where lifejackets for persons other than the crew are stowed in staterooms located remotely from direct routes between public spaces and muster stations, any additional lifejackets required by §199.70(b)(2)(v) for these persons must be stowed in the public spaces, near muster stations, or on direct routes between them. These lifejackets must be stowed so that their distribution and donning does not impede orderly movement to muster stations and survival craft embarkation stations.

This pararaph DOES NOT say these lifejackets must be available in the staterooms -- but rather it ways "where they are stowed."

If during the drill you think you need to practice putting on that jacket I'm sure your station attendent will be more than happy to have you practice -- just ask!

I'm sure there are lots of reasons why RCI is putting jackets in the rooms as well as at the stations. First of all they are very very expensive. Second... with all the worry about flu / norovirus / and who knows what else... putting on a pfd that others have had on over and isn't my favorite thing to do. (Ok... I admit... I take wipes and wipe it off prior to donning it, upon arrival at the muster station!)

Subpart B—Requirements for All Vessels

§ 199.70 Personal lifesaving appliances.

Lifejackets. Each vessel must carry lifejackets approved under approval series 160.155, 160.176 or 160.177. If the vessel carries inflatable lifejackets, they must be of the same or similar design and have the same method of operation.

(1) General. Each vessel must carry a lifejacket for each person on board, and in addition—

(i) A number of lifejackets suitable for children equal to at least 10 percent of the total number of passengers on board must be provided, or such greater number as may be required to provide a lifejacket of suitable size for each person smaller than the lower size limit of the adult-size lifejacket; and

(ii) A sufficient number of lifejackets must be carried for persons on watch and for use at remotely located survival craft stations.

(2) Stowage. Lifejackets must be stowed as follows:

(i) The lifejackets must be readily accessible.

(ii) [Reserved]

(iii) The lifejackets stowage positions must be marked with the words “LIFEJACKETS” or “CHILD LIFEJACKETS” as appropriate, or with the appropriate symbol from IMO Resolution A.760(18).

(iv) The additional lifejackets for persons on watch required by paragraph (b)(1)(ii) of this section must be stowed on the bridge, in the engine control room, and at other manned watch stations.

(v) Where, due to the particular arrangements of the vessel, the lifejackets required by paragraph (b) of this section may become inaccessible, alternative provisions must be made to the satisfaction of the OCMI that may include an increase in the number of lifejackets to be carried.

§ 199.80 Muster list and emergency instructions.

(a) General. Clear instructions must be provided on the vessel that detail the actions each person on board should follow in the event of an emergency.

(b) Muster list. Copies of the muster list must be posted in conspicuous places throughout the vessel including on the navigating bridge, in the engine room, and in crew accommodation spaces. The muster list must be posted before the vessel begins its voyage. After the muster list has been prepared, if any change takes place that necessitates an alteration in the muster list, the master must either revise the existing muster list or prepare a new one. Each muster lists must at least specify—

(1) The instructions for operating the general emergency alarm system and public address system;

(2) The emergency signals;

(3) The actions to be taken by the persons on board when each signal is sounded;

(4) How the order to abandon the vessel will be given.

(5) The officers that are assigned to make sure that lifesaving and firefighting appliances are maintained in good condition and ready for immediate use;

(6) The duties assigned to the different members of the crew. Duties to be specified include—

(i) Closing the watertight doors, fire doors, valves, scuppers, sidescuttles, skylights, portholes, and other similar openings in the vessel's hull;

(ii) Equipping the survival craft and other lifesaving appliances;

(iii) Preparing and launching the survival craft;

(iv) Preparing other lifesaving appliances;

(v) Mustering the passengers and other persons on board;

(vi) Using communication equipment;

(vii) Manning the emergency squad assigned to deal with fires and other emergencies; and

(viii) Using firefighting equipment and installations.

(7) The duties assigned to members of the crew in relation to passengers and other persons on board in case of an emergency. Assigned duties to be specified include—

(i) Warning the passengers and other persons on board;

(ii) Seeing that passengers and other persons on board are suitably dressed and have donned their lifejackets or immersion suits correctly;

(iii) Assembling passengers and other persons on board at muster stations;

(iv) Keeping order in the passageways and on the stairways and generally controlling the movements of the passengers and other persons on board; and

(v) Making sure that a supply of blankets is taken to the survival craft; and

(8) The substitutes for key persons if they are disabled, taking into account that different emergencies require different actions.

© Emergency instructions. Illustrations and instructions in English, and any other appropriate language as determined by the OCMI, must be posted in each passenger cabin and in spaces occupied by persons other than crew, and must be conspicuously displayed at each muster station. The illustrations and instructions must include information on—

(1) The fire and emergency signal;

(2) Their muster station;

(3) The essential actions they must take in an emergency;

(4) The location of lifejackets, including child-size lifejackets; and

(5) The method of donning lifejackets.

[CGD 84–069, 61 FR 25313, May 20, 1996, as amended at 63 FR 52818, Oct. 1, 1998]

Subpart C—Additional Requirements for Passenger Vessels

§ 199.212 Lifejackets

(a) In addition to the lifejackets required under §199.70(b), each passenger vessel must carry lifejackets for at least 5 percent of the total number of persons on board. These lifejackets must be stowed in conspicuous places on deck or at muster stations.

(b) Where lifejackets for persons other than the crew are stowed in staterooms located remotely from direct routes between public spaces and muster stations, any additional lifejackets required by §199.70(b)(2)(v) for these persons must be stowed in the public spaces, near muster stations, or on direct routes between them. These lifejackets must be stowed so that their distribution and donning does not impede orderly movement to muster stations and survival craft embarkation stations.

Hope this has been helpful! Happy Cruising!!

Here is the link (and instructions) to get to the Fed Regs follow...

Code of Federal Regulations

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&tpl=%2Findex.tpl

Go to Title 46: Shipping

Then go to Vol 7 and click on parts 166-199

Go all the way to the bottom of that page to

SUBCHAPTER W--LIFESAVING APPLIANCES AND ARRANGEMENTS

and click on 199

Here you will find the noted regulations (along with many more under the numbers noted above)

Semper Paratus :D

This part confused me...

"....with additional drills at least once a week thereafter"

I have been on cruises of more than a week and have never had a second muster drill. Is this a new requirement?

We've been on a couple of cruises that they have a second drill but it was for the crew and very detailed. It must have taken them over an hour to make sure everything was in working order.

I have to agree with Water Baby. What is the big deal? The ship and crew are trying to both comply with regulations and see that their passengers are safe and know what to do in an emergency situation.

Next we'll have people complaining that the flight attendants take too long with the pre-flight safety review - or that children should not have fire drills in schools - the list could go on and on.

This part confused me...

"....with additional drills at least once a week thereafter"

I have been on cruises of more than a week and have never had a second muster drill. Is this a new requirement?

The additional drill could be at the end of the week, so a 2 week cruise could slip by without a 2nd muster, cruises longer than 2 weeks would need a 2nd muster on the last day of the 2nd week, or 1st day of the 3rd week

I have to agree with Water Baby. What is the big deal? The ship and crew are trying to both comply with regulations and see that their passengers are safe and know what to do in an emergency situation.

Next we'll have people complaining that the flight attendants take too long with the pre-flight safety review - or that children should not have fire drills in schools - the list could go on and on.

I agree. I have read so many threads lately about changing or doing away with this mandatory drill.

Have we become so full of ourselves in this country to think that we shouldn't have to put on a vest, walk down some stairs, and stand outside in the open air for 10 minutes??

This is a drill that could save your life and it takes all of 30 minutes away from your vacation. Go in with a positive attitude and it turns in to a people watching experience!!

This will sound weird, but I wish they would be more strict in the muster drill ... I always feel sorry for the crew who try to tell people to put down their drinks or their phones but seem to have no power or will to make a deal of it. I always figure that these people blatanly flaunting the rules will be the first ones to cry foul if something were to happen.

With that said, those muster drills, especially in Miami, would be significantly shorter if they were done only in English. I can't imagine that Spanish-speaking guests get a lot out of it anyway considering everyone starts groaning and talking when the Spanish instructions are given.

I started the thread as an issue for possible PROCESS IMPROVEMENT. I cleary did not say anything about not wanting to go to muster drill or a dislike of the muster drill.

Currently very few people can remember the next day where their muster station is or that it is posted on the back of their cabin door. As far as the cabin steward not speaking clear english, well that could be a process improvement within itself. Lets face it, who can understand half the captains when they address over the loud speaker. The main objective of the muster drill is to know where to board your lifeboat and how to put on your lifevest. You dont need to muster in mass in a theater to get that message. My theory is the chances of comprehension or more easily taught to groups of 2-6 versus a mass of a couple hundred or more.

The additional drill could be at the end of the week, so a 2 week cruise could slip by without a 2nd muster, cruises longer than 2 weeks would need a 2nd muster on the last day of the 2nd week, or 1st day of the 3rd week

16-night cruise and still only one drill and I´m going to make a bet there won´t be a second drill on my upcoming 18-nighter.;)

The nice thing about the change they have been trying on Majesty with not having to wear the life jacket at the muster evidently is working.

The only measure of whether or not it's actually working is when there is a real emergency. I do not believe that has occurred yet.

I really don't understand why people are so opposed to the muster drill. Let's face it, if the worst were to happen, you need to know what to do!

That said, I see a couple of problems with your suggestion

1. it could take an hour or more for the room steward to go through & "discuss" with every guest. You can bet there would be people who would want to move the beds around, discuss the balcony, have them empty the fridge, etc.

2. if there were to be an emergency, you have to know more than just "how to buckle a life vest". You have to know where to go and understand that the elevators will be shut down.

Again ... I just don't get the big deal about spending 30 minutes to ensure you know how to handle an emergency. :confused::confused::confused:

Neither do I,,,,we have many cruises and this is a very important part of the trip,,Unfortunately some people think of it as a waste of time:(..Heaven forbid of a problem you would see different attitudes....:eek:..

16-night cruise and still only one drill and I´m going to make a bet there won´t be a second drill on my upcoming 18-nighter.;)
I would guess that the crew has emergency drills at least once a week in accordance with the regulations. I would also guess that the statement "Passengers should paticipate ..." is taken as a suggestion and not a requirement for any emergency drills after the first one.

I agree. I have read so many threads lately about changing or doing away with this mandatory drill.

Have we become so full of ourselves in this country to think that we shouldn't have to put on a vest, walk down some stairs, and stand outside in the open air for 10 minutes??

This is a drill that could save your life and it takes all of 30 minutes away from your vacation. Go in with a positive attitude and it turns in to a people watching experience!!

Well said!

The only measure of whether or not it's actually working is when there is a real emergency. I do not believe that has occurred yet.

Star Princess ? ...... or did you mean the muster drill without lifejackets.

In light of RCCL recent attempts on Majesty to find an alternative to the current muster drill process, it got me to thinking of a viable alternative. With the thought process that it is important for everyone to meet their cabin steward, the following is my idea. At least 30 minutes prior to sailing, all passengers must meet in their cabin with their cabin steward, try on their lifevest, go over where the assigned muster station is located and how to get there. Each cabin member must then sign a document stating they understand and are in agreement with the presentation. This can be done via form or electronically through the TV. The basis for my change of the current method would be because in the event of a real emergency, there is a good chance your assigned muster station will not be an option, the current south florida heat, and bumper car type gathering with vests is the worst part of a cruise experience.

The U.S. Coast Guard sets the procedure for these drills. I'm sure they wouldn't consider this an option.

Not only do you need to know where your station is located but also what to do when you get there in case of emergency.

This is a few minutes out of the day.....but those few minutes can save your life.......

Take a grown-up pill and go.

This will sound weird, but I wish they would be more strict in the muster drill ... I always feel sorry for the crew who try to tell people to put down their drinks or their phones but seem to have no power or will to make a deal of it. I always figure that these people blatanly flaunting the rules will be the first ones to cry foul if something were to happen.

With that said, those muster drills, especially in Miami, would be significantly shorter if they were done only in English. I can't imagine that Spanish-speaking guests get a lot out of it anyway considering everyone starts groaning and talking when the Spanish instructions are given.

I agree silentbob. They DO need to make them more strict.

I personally think they should be really strict, and us Americans should be respectful enough to keep our mouths shut, while they give the muster speech in other languages. They are quiet during ours, we should be quiet during theirs. And no, I am not one of those bleeding heart liberals out there that think those from other countries should have free reign in the US. This is Royal Caribbean INTERNATIONAL, not Royal Caribbean United States.

Sorry, this one thing really ticks me off. I have no problem with the muster other than the PFD. What does it hurt to give up 30 minutes (which amounts to 3/10 of 1%) of your vacation.

I am stepping off my soapbox now. ;)

Tim

Archived