Comments/Opinions of Anastasia Tours

I have locked in my Strenuous 2-day Tour with Alla at 2009 prices.

We have booked with Anastasia for next July and have locked in 2009 prices. The price is in rubles which will be locked in 6 weeks in advance of our tour. I really liked the way they delineated each cost and am not overly concerned with currency fluctuations. They were at least 10% cheaper than all other bids we got and were very responsive in accomodating our requests.

We have booked with Anastasia for next July and have locked in 2009 prices. The price is in rubles which will be locked in 6 weeks in advance of our tour. I really liked the way they delineated each cost and am not overly concerned with currency fluctuations. They were at least 10% cheaper than all other bids we got and were very responsive in accomodating our requests.

How are you locking in prices..without paying upfront ? We will be there Aug 2010..and am trying to decide on a tour operator..Thanks

We did not have to put down a deposit but the price may fluctuate due to Ruble fluctuation

You've made a key point! Most of the major and better tour firms in St. Petersburg do NOT require an advanced deposit. If they demand that deposit, I would look for another firm.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I have been doing a lot of research as my husband has walking difficulties and the "standard" tours would involve long trips around the museums none of which are particularly disabled friendly.Anastasia offered to tailor a minimal walking itinery ,for the 3 of us 2 days it was about $500 each

In the end I've gone with an independent tour operator who presently works with the larger companies but is setting up her own business.I found her to be the most responsive and pro active .The cost in roubles for 3 of us is approx 28000 roubles-approx $300 each if my conversion rate is correct for 2 shorter days with less time at museums.I've posted the itinery on the NCL roll call for Norwegian sun 22nd July 2010 if you want more details.Otherwise web site is guide-spb-ru.com or email Masha at mashavankova@hotmail.ru

hope this helps

Lyn

Thanks to you and sbhdmh! Ironically, I have been corresponding with both Masha and Anastasia and have also asked for itineraries involving 2 shorter days. I will check out yours on NCL role call next. So sorry for delay in my reply!

Thanks to you and sbhdmh! Ironically, I have been corresponding with both Masha and Anastasia and have also asked for itineraries involving 2 shorter days. I will check out yours on NCL role call next. So sorry for delay in my reply!

since deciding on Masha Anastasia came back to me with a similar minimal walking tour but including Peterhof for the same price.I haven't finally contracted with either yet so am weighing up the 2 If you ask Anastasia for a copy of the itinery she did for me-I can't give out too many personal details but I 'm sure the key words July 2010 for party of 3 with disabled husband will help them identify

Lyn

since deciding on Masha Anastasia came back to me with a similar minimal walking tour but including Peterhof for the same price.I haven't finally contracted with either yet so am weighing up the 2 If you ask Anastasia for a copy of the itinery she did for me-I can't give out too many personal details but I 'm sure the key words July 2010 for party of 3 with disabled husband will help them identify

Lyn

I will ask Anastasia, thanks. The itinerary she did for me with minimal walking did not include the Peterhof, juts catherine's Palace. I am curious how you fit that in with 2 shorter days which was our goal as well. so far I have been impressed with the responsiveness of both anastasia and Masha. I think it will be hard to decide between the 2. So far their prices have been pretty similar.

I will ask Anastasia, thanks. The itinerary she did for me with minimal walking did not include the Peterhof, juts catherine's Palace. I am curious how you fit that in with 2 shorter days which was our goal as well. so far I have been impressed with the responsiveness of both anastasia and Masha. I think it will be hard to decide between the 2. So far their prices have been pretty similar.

the timings of the days are 8-3 day 1 and 10-30 till 3 day 2

the "standard" tours include 3 hours at Hermitage,Peterhof and Catherines palace -that woul be just too much walking in a not disabled friendly city!

with scouring these boards and contacting several tour operators I'm trying to get an agenda that will take in the highlights with minimal walking and yet still be of interest to others on my roll call who would be interested in sharing-any feedback on any must sees I've missed out would be appreciated!

day 1 starts with a 2 and a half hour city tour with optional stops and quick visits inside

Peterhof takes up 3 hours including the journey there.As the inside of the palace has a lot of steps we were planning on just viewing the park

We transfer back downtown for a metro trip[i decided on this as my husband can manage moving escalators and the subway systems are supposed to be pretty spectacular]

day 2 starts with a 2 hour tour of the Hermitage which will concentrate on the main rooms-Anastasia has offered use of a wheelchair if necessary

we then have an hour canal trip as the city is supposed to be best seen by the water.

that in a nutshell is our agenda so far-would be interested in your or anyone elses feedback

Lyn

Are you going one way to Peterhof by hydrofoil? That can save some significant time. It also gives you a view from the water (and it's fun too). With the time you save I would add in Church of the Spilled Blood. The canal cruise is nice but when we took it we had to walk down a rather steep enbankment. Please be sure to ask to have the boat meet you somewhere your husband can easily transfer. We also really enjoyed a quick stop at a Russian supermarket. We brought home lots of fun candy and treats for my daughter to share with her friends. Oh yeah, there's also the vodka. I don't drink but have been told it's the best in the world. ;)

I would bet that an itinerary designed for minimal walking will be very appealing on your roll call. I doubt you'll have any trouble filling extra seats.

One last point - are you sure you want to start at 8 on day 1? Last summer many, many people had difficulty disembarking in St Petersburg. Not sure who you are sailing with but some lines, especially Princess, delayed passengers on private tours by 3 hours or more until all passengers on ship's tours were ashore. On MSC we had to lie and cheat to get off the boat because they continued to insist that morning that only passengers with private visas could enter the country if not booked on a ship's tour. Many of these problems seemed to be address by the end of the summer but since you have a shorter day planned anyway you may have an easier time with a 9:00 am start instead, just in case. Enjoy your trip.

Are you going one way to Peterhof by hydrofoil? That can save some significant time. It also gives you a view from the water (and it's fun too). With the time you save I would add in Church of the Spilled Blood.

The hydrofoil does BOTH save time and provides a different, enjoyable angle to seeing and enjoying the core, historic areas of St. Petersburg. As I re-call the Church of the Spilled Blood was fairly easy to get in and out of. Less stairs, as I recall, then with St. Issac.

I would just like to thank you for sharing your experience and insights. I used your tour in St. Petersburg as my model for proposing a tour for my group next September.

It's because of people like you that I visit this site almost every day.

Rich

Are you going one way to Peterhof by hydrofoil? That can save some significant time. It also gives you a view from the water (and it's fun too). With the time you save I would add in Church of the Spilled Blood. The canal cruise is nice but when we took it we had to walk down a rather steep enbankment. Please be sure to ask to have the boat meet you somewhere your husband can easily transfer. We also really enjoyed a quick stop at a Russian supermarket. We brought home lots of fun candy and treats for my daughter to share with her friends. Oh yeah, there's also the vodka. I don't drink but have been told it's the best in the world. ;)

I would bet that an itinerary designed for minimal walking will be very appealing on your roll call. I doubt you'll have any trouble filling extra seats.

One last point - are you sure you want to start at 8 on day 1? Last summer many, many people had difficulty disembarking in St Petersburg. Not sure who you are sailing with but some lines, especially Princess, delayed passengers on private tours by 3 hours or more until all passengers on ship's tours were ashore. On MSC we had to lie and cheat to get off the boat because they continued to insist that morning that only passengers with private visas could enter the country if not booked on a ship's tour. Many of these problems seemed to be address by the end of the summer but since you have a shorter day planned anyway you may have an easier time with a 9:00 am start instead, just in case. Enjoy your trip.

Tell me what the supermarkets there are like. We are booked with Anastasia for May and we also like the supermarkets in other countries, which we visit religiously (those account for a lot of our souvenirs-lol!). Did you find any goodies besides the chocolate?

I would just like to thank you for sharing your experience and insights. I used your tour in St. Petersburg as my model for proposing a tour for my group next September. It's because of people like you that I visit this site almost every day. Rich

THANKS, Rich, for the kind and nice comments! Glad to be helpful. Let us know any other questions. Keep researching and planning. You'll learn and know more and more that will be very helpful for your actual trip.

In June, we were out exploring Long Island along the enjoyable and interesting north shore. Had a great Italian wedding in the Hauppauge, NY area. Then did a couple days in Manhatten, including Jersey Boys, David Letterman Show and Avenue Q. Enjoyed the trip much! Are you in or near those areas of LI? Terry in Ohio

Tell me what the supermarkets there are like. We are booked with Anastasia for May and we also like the supermarkets in other countries, which we visit religiously (those account for a lot of our souvenirs-lol!). Did you find any goodies besides the chocolate?

I love including stops that let me see inside the "real" country I am visiting. This was fascinating because I grew up in the era of seeing Soviets line up for hours for everything from toilet paper to potatoes. The idea of being in a supermarket with everything available on the shelves was such a clear example of how everything has changed. In addition to lots of candy we also brought home some "beer snacks" - essentially salted, dried fish of different types intended to allow the eater to drink more. My 4 year old heard that and said "Oh, Daddy needs some of those!" Funny since 2 beers is a large quantity for him...

Many types of canned fish on the shelf that we don't have in the states. Also produce but not great quality. I guess it was similar to a small convenience type market you find in inner city areas here. Loads of types of vodka. The stop didn't take long but was really interesting. I highly recommend it if you can fit it in.

I love including stops that let me see inside the "real" country I am visiting. This was fascinating because I grew up in the era of seeing Soviets line up for hours for everything from toilet paper to potatoes. The idea of being in a supermarket with everything available on the shelves was such a clear example of how everything has changed. In addition to lots of candy we also brought home some "beer snacks" - essentially salted, dried fish of different types intended to allow the eater to drink more. My 4 year old heard that and said "Oh, Daddy needs some of those!" Funny since 2 beers is a large quantity for him... Many types of canned fish on the shelf that we don't have in the states. Also produce but not great quality. I guess it was similar to a small convenience type market you find in inner city areas here. Loads of types of vodka. The stop didn't take long but was really interesting. I highly recommend it if you can fit it in.

It is great to see the "real Russia", but here is another "angle" to consider compared to your small store example/experience. There is a difference between what you might have seen in the central, older sections of St. Petersburg and its suburbs. As we drove out to Catherine's Palace, we saw some of the newer parts of this town. There were different growth and commercial styles of the town depending on whether it was built during the Czar period, post-Revolution and then in the newer parts under Stalin, now under Putin and more prosperity, etc.

We did the one-day air flight to Moscow, a much larger city of 12 million compared to only five million in St. Petersburg. As we drove in from the Moscow airport we saw lots and lots of the new "suburban", big-box types of commerce that was very western style. There are many varied types of "real Russia", including those newer segment of St. Petersburg and Moscow. Just wanted to give another "angle" for what has happened with Russian consumers depending on income level and where they are located. At the famed Gum Department store next to Red Square, Coach was preparing to open their shop there in a place that was more western now in its huge store mix. There was much commercial advertising in Moscow as they have enjoyed some of its wealth that has happened for some in recent years. Russia has had a great and interesting past, plus a changing future.

THANKS, Rich, for the kind and nice comments! Glad to be helpful. Let us know any other questions. Keep researching and planning. You'll learn and know more and more that will be very helpful for your actual trip.

In June, we were out exploring Long Island along the enjoyable and interesting north shore. Had a great Italian wedding in the Hauppauge, NY area. Then did a couple days in Manhatten, including Jersey Boys, David Letterman Show and Avenue Q. Enjoyed the trip much! Are you in or near those areas of LI? Terry in Ohio

Terry

We live on the South Shore in West Islip, about 10 miles from Hauppauge. Glad you enjoyed NYC and LI. I spent most of my career working in Manhattan and was very reluctant to make the trip in on days off (I spent over 3 hours a day commuting). Since I retired, we go in often and act like tourists. There is so much to see and do.

Do have one question about your tour. Did you get to see St. Peter and Paul's Fortress? I don't have it on my "must see" list, but most of the standard tours seem to include it. Just wondering if I should add it to my proposed tour.

Thanks again.

Rich

Do have one question about your tour. Did you get to see St. Peter and Paul's Fortress? I don't have it on my "must see" list, but most of the standard tours seem to include it. Just wondering if I should add it to my proposed tour. Thanks again. Rich

THANKS, Rich, for your follow-up and grad to hear that you are now better able to enjoy New York City and its fine attractions!

On St. Peter and Paul's Fortress, we did NOT do that on our trip. It was a personal, thought-through decision/choice by us. We have seen the fancy burial places for Royals in Spain, Vienna, etc. We have seen lots of nice churches throughout Europe. St. Peter and Paul's Fortress seemed nice to do, but we just want a little more "variety" and something different historically. That's why we did Yusupoff's Palace to see this historic place where Rasputin was killed and the richest family in Russia lived and operated. It was a different "scale" than at some of the huge royal palaces and it was very interesting and enjoyable. We saw St. Peter and Paul's Fortress from both the hyrofoil as we entered St. Petersburg after doing the Peterhof and from the windows of the Hermitage.

Given that we have been to twenty countries in Europe, we didn't rate it as a "must-see". We were happy with our choices, including the canal boat tour. We didn't do the subway in St. Petersburg as we had seen a couple of the underground stations while in Moscow. Does this help?

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry, That's very helpful. We have 3 couples so I can share your thoughts with the other 2. I did add the subway to your tour and the tour operators seem to be able include that request. Thanks again. So much to see, so little time! Rich

THANKS, Rich! Keep researching and planning. There's always more to learn. You'll be surprised how much you will be able to do as a group of just six people. Not being part of a larger group makes things much more efficient and enjoyable.

Terry in Ohio

Terry

We live on the South Shore in West Islip, about 10 miles from Hauppauge. Glad you enjoyed NYC and LI. I spent most of my career working in Manhattan and was very reluctant to make the trip in on days off (I spent over 3 hours a day commuting). Since I retired, we go in often and act like tourists. There is so much to see and do.

Do have one question about your tour. Did you get to see St. Peter and Paul's Fortress? I don't have it on my "must see" list, but most of the standard tours seem to include it. Just wondering if I should add it to my proposed tour.

Thanks again.

Rich

We have been to the Peter and Paul Fortress twice before and will see them again on our May Baltic tour with Anastasia. It is an interesting enough place to see. If you have any interest in Czar Nicholas and Alexandra, this is where they are "buried" along with their children. It is also a prison. It is interesting enough for first time cruisers, but if it were just myself and DH on this tour, I'd probably go with the Yusopov Palace like Terry. We also included the Alexander Palace this time because of my interest in Nicholas & Alexandra. It is next to Catherine's Palace and is where Nicholas & Alexandra lived while they were being held prior to their execution in Siberia.

We have been to the Peter and Paul Fortress twice before and will see them again on our May Baltic tour with Anastasia. It is an interesting enough place to see. If you have any interest in Czar Nicholas and Alexandra, this is where they are "buried" along with their children. It is also a prison. It is interesting enough for first time cruisers, but if it were just myself and DH on this tour, I'd probably go with the Yusopov Palace like Terry. We also included the Alexander Palace this time because of my interest in Nicholas & Alexandra. It is next to Catherine's Palace and is where Nicholas & Alexandra lived while they were being held prior to their execution in Siberia.

We have the Peter & Paul Fortress but not St. Catherine's Palace on our tour with Anastasia. I think St Catherine's Palace was omitted because it may be 1 palace too many for the children in our party to endure in such a short period of time. We are going to Peterhoff, but I just wondered if we would be missing a great experience by not visiting St. Catherine's, or would they seem similiar looking through a child's eyes? Also, a canal boat ride is listed on our itinerary and I wondered if any of you knew what likely sights we would/should see from the boat (I will confirm this with Anastasia, but thought I'd ask you first)?

We have the Peter & Paul Fortress but not St. Catherine's Palace on our tour with Anastasia. I think St Catherine's Palace was omitted because it may be 1 palace too many for the children in our party to endure in such a short period of time. We are going to Peterhoff, but I just wondered if we would be missing a great experience by not visiting St. Catherine's, or would they seem similiar looking through a child's eyes? Also, a canal boat ride is listed on our itinerary and I wondered if any of you knew what likely sights we would/should see from the boat (I will confirm this with Anastasia, but thought I'd ask you first)?

We are traveling with 5 kids and, while I agree that there can definitely be "too many palaces," my impression is that the Amber Room of Catherine's Palace is "not to be missed." Some consider it "the 8th wonder of the world..." I think it will be visually stunning and something the kids will remember. We will likely be spending most of our time at Peterhoff outdoors in the gardens/fountains, so the two palaces will be very different experiences.

FYI: I just asked my 4 year old "Another mommy who is taking her kids on a Baltic cruise is thinking of skipping Catherine's Palace. What do you think we should tell her?" Her response "Oh, they HAVE to go there." I asked her if she remembered the Amber Room and she said "Tell her 'Her kids HAVE to see the Amber Room!'" Out of the mouths of babes...

We are traveling with 5 kids and, while I agree that there can definitely be "too many palaces," my impression is that the Amber Room of Catherine's Palace is "not to be missed." Some consider it "the 8th wonder of the world..." I think it will be visually stunning and something the kids will remember. We will likely be spending most of our time at Peterhoff outdoors in the gardens/fountains, so the two palaces will be very different experiences.

Good points on the many, many varied options in St. Petersburg. So much depends on your group and their individual interests.

YES, the Peterhof gardens/fountains and Catherine's Palace are both very, very different and highly interesting. Each has its great, unique parts. The Amber Room is super wonderful there. Very unique! BUT, knowing what works for children, especially YOUR CHILDREN, is above my pay grade and mind-reading skills.

My sense/guess is that some kids like differing transportation modes. This might include the hydrofoil to or from the Peterhof, the canal boat ride and/or the subway stations/ride. I also sense that many children have shorter attention spans and like more visual/interesting places. Too much of the same, over and over, gets older quick with them as my generalization. Reactions?

Most tours that include Peterhof focus on the fountains and not the palace so including both Peterhof & Catherine's Palace may not be a palace overload.

Archived