Pompeii in the morning or afternoon?

spatsmcd

Which have you done? i can't decide if we should do Pompeii in the morning(not as hot) then the Amalfi drive(more traffic) back to port, or the other way around hotter and less traffic? We are in port (Sorrento) 8am-6pm last tender around 5-5:15 i would think.

Thank you.

Are you doing this with a private tour or on your own? If it's a private tour, I'd have less hesitation about doing Pompeii first and Amalfi second, as I think the drivers have a very good idea of traffic issues and timing relative to getting you back to the port in time for sailaway.

If you're doing it on your own, most folks recommend starting at the farthest point and working your way back to port. That said, Pompeii can be brutally hot in the afternoon...

What time of year are you travelling and, as Cynthia asked, are you DIY or private touring?

My normal advice would be to visit Pompeii in the morning while you are fresher and then do the sit-down activity in the PM.

We are on the Royal Aug. 24, doing a private tour. Will it feel hotter then NYC in Aug.(90s, humid, humid, humid)? The tour guide first had us doing the drive and then Pompeii in the afternoon. I had him change it but then started to read that coast ride back could be a nightmare and the better route was to go back to Sorrento from Pompeii.

We are on the Royal Aug. 24, doing a private tour. Will it feel hotter then NYC in Aug.(90s, humid, humid, humid)? The tour guide first had us doing the drive and then Pompeii in the afternoon. I had him change it but then started to read that coast ride back could be a nightmare and the better route was to go back to Sorrento from Pompeii.

Will it be hotter than NYC in August -- yes. (I lived in NY for 4 years, so trust me.) When you are out there in the full sun, the rocks just radiate heat and its like a giant oven, more or less...

However, if your guide is suggesting Pompeii last, you might want to give it serious consideration. Just go prepared. Sunscreen, hats, water, some folks take an umbrella for shade. I've also heard those battery-powered mini fans can help.

I would have to agree with cruisemom42, especially at the time of year you are going. I know it will be very hot and humid in Pompei BUT last year at the very same time I was in Italy coming back from the Amalfi coast and it took over 3 hours sitting in traffic on the tour bus to get back. (I was on a land tour so it didn't matter but our tour guide said that it is often like this during the summer because of tourists and locals going to the beaches.) Play it safe and get back early.:)

If you want to walk around Pompeii for a couple of hours I would only do this in the morning. It will be way too hot in the afternoon. I grew up in New York and there is no comparison. It will be very hot and humid in the afternoon and you mostly out in the open.

Keith

Most definately the morning, we have just come back and done the morning, we finished at 11.30am and by then it was very hot, I dont think it would have been as enjoyable in the afternoon, also less crowded in the morning our tour guide said.

Love those little battery operated mini fans...they are great and the one's with the water bottle are even better...makes it a breeze getting through Pompeii on a hot day.People always thought I was nutx until they saw and felt the difference...could have sold a million of them:D:D

Love those little battery operated mini fans...they are great and the one's with the water bottle are even better...makes it a breeze getting through Pompeii on a hot day.People always thought I was nutx until they saw and felt the difference...could have sold a million of them:D:D

Where did you get your fan?

Where did you get your fan?

You can pick up the one's with water for them in different sizes from any drugstore in the summer section area and the small one I have for my purse I got from Magellan's..just go on line.I just love those things...Also packets of wet wipes that have been in the ref over night are good too.Dove makes some good ones..Drugstore item again.:D

Will it be hotter than NYC in August -- yes. (I lived in NY for 4 years, so trust me.) When you are out there in the full sun, the rocks just radiate heat and its like a giant oven, more or less...

However, if your guide is suggesting Pompeii last, you might want to give it serious consideration. Just go prepared. Sunscreen, hats, water, some folks take an umbrella for shade. I've also heard those battery-powered mini fans can help.

Yea not to mention the walking you will be doing around the sights.

I would definately do Pompeii early in the am--we were there when they opened the gates and were the first ones in. It is cooler and there are no crowds--It gets crowded later in the am and there are tour buses there.

Do Pompeii as soon as gates open--8:30. Otherwise it will got hotter and will be more crowded. We were just there last week. Arrived at 8:40--no line and still plenty hot. When we left at about 11, there was a long, long line and it was only getting hotter. Bring lots of water in with you!

Do Pompeii as soon as gates open--8:30. Otherwise it will got hotter and will be more crowded. We were just there last week. Arrived at 8:40--no line and still plenty hot. When we left at about 11, there was a long, long line and it was only getting hotter. Bring lots of water in with you!

Do you know how many ships were in port with you? Thank you.

Archived