Must do's on RCL

About to embark on my first RCCL cruise, and have heard many good things that are must do's on any RCL cruise:

1. Honey "Stung" Chicken (? spelling name?)

2. Bran Muffin in WJ for breakfast

3. French fries

Anything else I am missing? I also saw another post with lost of food pics and was impressed with one of them, but can't remember now which one and can't find the post :(

I wouldn't worry yourself over trying to cram in stuff that other people have said are their "must do's". People are different, why not just discover everything yourself?

We found the stung chicken to be a bit average, the fries in the WJ to be forever cold and never did see where the bran muffins were. It certainly didn't effect our cruise either way one iota.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We loved the amaretto sour cocktails though. :D

Oh yeah, and I have to wash all that food down with something.... Somewhere else I am starting another list of must have drinks...

1. Amaretto sour cocktails...

2. ...

(I have resorted to start making list, because I am going crazy waiting for the cruise.... can't wait....:D

I just loved the brie tart and eggplant mozzerella tower served in the main dining room. Crepes in the Solarium are delish, I get them plain but they have strawberry and chocolate. Also Portofino is worth every penny...I look forward to that night each cruise. Yum Yum Yum!!!

I was really looking forward to the honey-stung chicken when we went on our first cruise with RCI last month - especially after reading what people had said here. In reality, it turned out to be pieces of cold, chewy leather. I won't be having it again. The fries were hit and miss - usually lukewarm, sometimes hot. I loved their chocolate cookies, though.

Try the food in Seaview cafe, the paninis are great, all we tried there is very good and nice to sit outside the cafe to eat, nice and quiet.

And the food in Portofinos is excellent.:)

The chilli and nachos is good with room service and there burgers are much nicer than windjammers.

For me, personally, the Honey Stung Chicken was nothing more than KFC original recipe. But, if you get it, make sure you get the whipped mashed potatoes - very creamy and good. Also the strawberry mousse all in the windjammer for lunch on the first day before sail away.

Food wise - Do not miss out on the Salad bar in the Main Dining Room for Lunch (sea day)

Egg Benedict (Main dining room breakfast)

Prime Rib (great Au jus - some of the best I've had)

Chicken Marsala

Garlic Tiger Shrimp

Lobster bisque was good

We asked our waiter for extra veggies one night and she brought out a plate of broccoli, asparagus, sugar-snap peas (in the pods) and carrots. Definitely ask for this if you like extra veggies. The peas were the sweetest I've tasted and the carrots were very tasty. I am not big on asparagus, but these were good (as were the ones that come on the plate with the Chicken Marsala). . .

I like Grey Goose and hard lemon candy, so I had a Lemon Drop. Very strong - but good none-the-less. . .

If I read your signature correctly - you are going on the Monarch. The Monarch doesnt have Portofinos, Chops, Johnny Rockets, etc. We were on the monarch last month and everything we had was in the main dining room (except for lunch before Sail away). . .

How can you all be forgetting the Vidalia Onion Tart appetizer in the MDR? I think it's offered on night one. It's one of everyone on this board's favorite appetizers.

I haven't had, but have read on these boards that the bran muffin at bfast is great.

Also, the mojito in Bolero's has a great reputation!

About to embark on my first RCCL cruise, and have heard many good things that are must do's on any RCL cruise:

1. Honey "Stung" Chicken (? spelling name?)

2. Bran Muffin in WJ for breakfast

3. French fries

Anything else I am missing? I also saw another post with lost of food pics and was impressed with one of them, but can't remember now which one and can't find the post :(

:cool:For a first cruiser, there are many more important things than food--

1. Get in a day before, especially in the winter.

2 Arrive at pier NLT 11:00. Get on early and enjoy your lst day.

3. Head to Wind Jammer on pool deck for lunch

4. Try and drop luggage off in cabin after lunch, or if not available, tour ship and get lay of land

5. if eating in specialty restaurant(s), make reservations early. Portofino is better than Chops.

6. If dinner seating change (early or late) is needed, go to MDR and make change early.

7. Order from gift and gear a bottle or two of wine and/or champagne for use in your cabin. I also get cheese and crackers. If travelling with another couple, it is nice to host bon voyage celebration in cabin.

8. Check out bars - tip well first time around. They will remember you, especially in small bar like champagne bar.

9. Your cabin attendant and waiter and assistant waiter are your best friends. Treat them well, it will come back to you

10. If you want 2 appetizers, entrees, or desert, don't be afraid to ask. They used to volunteer them to you, but no longer. YOU WILL GET THEM NO PROBLEM.

11. Do Not miss Quest

12. Bingo is a waste of money unless you are a bingo nut

13. At sea days - eat breakfast in main dining room

14, Shore days have breakfast in WJ

15. Have room service deliver coffee to room early, then go to breakfast.

16. If late seating, either have room service deliver snack, or go get pizza.

17. Seaview Cafe is also great for snack after returning from shore, and before late seating

18 Sign up for Crown and Anchor Society when you return.

19. Try new things off menu. You may enjoy.

Enjoy - You are on vacation

Not sure but I think Monarch has a "Johnny Rockets" since it was refurbished...I believe THOSE are the fries people are referring to not the "cold" ones in the Windjammer. Fries and Rings at Johnny Rockets are both very good...

but other than that everyone has different food preferences...just try it all...find what you like...

What is the Seaview Cafe?

The Seaview Cafe is a restaurant on deck 12 aft on the Radiance class ships. MAZANDSTEVE mentioned paninis but this must have been on the Med cruise. On the Jewel and Radiance, the Seaview Cafe had burgers, fish and chips, onion rings, reubins, cuban sandwitches, clam chowder, etc. It is all cooked to order and delicious. No cost except for the usual beer, soft drinks, etc. Iced tea and lemonaide are free.

Also, the mojito in Bolero's has a great reputation!

I'll second third and fourth that one...and do NOT miss the sugar free coconut cake....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Food is so subjective...but I love lamb...the lamb shank is delish...also the duck!! O.K. I like weird stuff:p I like everything they make:eek:

The cookies are lovely I like the english toffee ones. I took some sandwich bags with me to carry them back to the cabin instead of the napkins.

Next year we are going to take little commuter cups with us for the coffee as the cups in the cafe bit are a bit flimsy and the cardboard holders too big.

Archived