hotel in greece

brian1651

We really enjoyed the AVA Hotel (stayed for 3 nights last October) ... nice, small hotel, on a quiet street, within a few minutes walk to the Acropolis. (When you walk out the front door, you can see the Acropolis to your right and Temple of Zeus to your left.)

Tripadvisor reviews are helpful for narrowing down your choices: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g189400-Athens_Attica-Hotels.html (scroll part way down the page to: "Recommended by Travelers")

We stayed at the Hotel Herodion in Athens 3 days pre-cruise and it was wonderful. Full breakfast buffet in the morning and a 5-min. walk to the Acropolis for sight-seeing. We requested a balcony overlooking this great monument and it was beautiful to look at at night all lit up.

I'm not sure as to the number of stars it is,but i would say it's at least a 4 star. Rooms aren't overly large,but you get that anywhere in Europe.

Enjoy Athens! Shelly:)

There are daily posts about hotels on the Athens forum of tripadvisor, as well as the helpful reviews mentioned previously by Susan. Just be prepared for small rooms.

For example, there is a thread today about the Electra Palace: great location in the Plaka, swimming pool, 4 or 5 stars, but small rooms.

The traditional grand hotel at which to stay in Athens is the Grand Bretagne, right on Syntagma Square.

In November we stayed at the Electra Palace Hotel and loved it. The location is great, 2 short blocks from the Plaka, the hotel decor is beautiful, so are the rooms and bathrooms, and a very nice breakfast is included. The room we had was not huge, but good size. I am sure a more expensive room would have been bigger, but the standard room was lovely. The hotel turned out to be a great surprise as I just chose it after surfing hotels.

Carol

We love the Parthenon Hotel and are booked there again in October. It is perfectly located just half a block from the Metro and from the Plaka's Gate and from the start of the Antiquities Promenade.

It is probably 3 star, not 4 or 5. It is a delightful Greek atmosphere, not a big plastic hotel that could just as well be in America.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We are going to be in Athens ourselves for a few days at the end of our trip to Turkey and Greece for three weeks. I planned this whole trip myself. The hotel I chosed after I did alot of investigating was the following:

Reservations Department

ART HOTEL ATHENS

Marni Street 27

10432 Athens

Tel: +30-210-5240501

Fax: +30-210-524-3384

E-mail: info@arthotelathens.gr

It is a small boutique which I love. I am not into the big hotels. From everyone I spoke to it is in a nice convenient part of Athens. When are you going to be there? Here is my email address if you would like to chat. Dicrepe2@aol.com.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the link to your review, Mike. Very nice. We're looking at a Holy Lands cruise a year from now, and I'm beginning to do some footwork for our pre- or post-stay in Athens.

Thanks for the kind words. We leave next week for a Black Sea cruise with a post cruise private tour to Delphi and Northern Greece. Watch for the review and pictures in about six weeks, maybe ...

We really enjoyed the AVA Hotel (stayed for 3 nights last October) ... nice, small hotel, on a quiet street, within a few minutes walk to the Acropolis. (When you walk out the front door, you can see the Acropolis to your right and Temple of Zeus to your left.)

Tripadvisor reviews are helpful for narrowing down your choices: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g189400-Athens_Attica-Hotels.html (scroll part way down the page to: "Recommended by Travelers")

Agree strongly with Susan. We did three nights at the AVA in 2006 prior to our cruise. It was a great location, so handy to what is so charming and nice in Athens. We had a balcony and could look to our left and see the Temple of Zeus and to the right and see the Acropolis hilltop. It was a very nice and clean hotel. Friendly, helpful people and service.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We are going to be in Athens ourselves for a few days at the end of our trip to Turkey and Greece for three weeks. I planned this whole trip myself. The hotel I chosed after I did alot of investigating was the following:

Reservations Department

ART HOTEL ATHENS

Marni Street 27

10432 Athens

Tel: +30-210-5240501

Fax: +30-210-524-3384

E-mail: info@arthotelathens.gr

It is a small boutique which I love. I am not into the big hotels. From everyone I spoke to it is in a nice convenient part of Athens. When are you going to be there? Here is my email address if you would like to chat. Dicrepe2@aol.com.

Dicrepe2, I actually hesitate to write, and I absolutely mean no offense at all to you but rather simply as someone trying to provide helpful advice, but I want to point out that regardless of the merits of this hotel, and it is rated well on tripadvisor, its location near Omonia Square is not a good one due to the noise and type of action you will find around this area, particularly at night.

In addition, it is not central to the major sights other than the National Archeological Museum. There are many hotels located far more centrally in much nicer areas, IMO.

Far better to stay in the Syntagma, Plaka or areas near the Acropoli metro stop as are the other hotels mentioned on this thread.

I write this as someone who has visited Athens twice in the past year, and as a daily participant in the Athens forum of tripadvisor.

but over $300 per night is a bit more than I care to pay for a place to sleep!

Hi jhannah. We recently booked 2 nights at the Ava for our November cruise and the

rate for what appear to be small apartments, including buffet breakfast (optional) was

around $190 (per night). I think this is pretty reasonable for a centrally located hotel. We found this on Trip Advisor.

My post is probably to late for you,

We stayed at the Divani Caravel (not acropolis)in Athens,organized by TA

(group/conference)

OK hotel,not the 4 stars that they publish.

Reception was rude, we could not go up to the rooftop at 10 pm to check out the lights of AThens, it was closed.

Breakfast was quite lovely with a wonderful buffet, but everything was lukewarm even at 6.30am when you think it would be at its hottest.

We caught the shuttle bus from our hotel Divani Caravel to Divani Acropolis (free) and then walked up to the Acropolis, so it is very close to the action.

Divani Acropolis did look a bit more upmarket than the Divani Caravel, then again it wouldnt take much.

We did however a year later stay at the AVA APartments. They were very good. Right in the heart of the Plaka. Loved it.

We were there in Jun/July and very hot, hot, hot.

THe AVA is very well airconditioned but a Pool would have put the icing on the cake. So if You can find a hotel in Plaka with a pool and A/C go for it,especially if you have children.

Electra sounds like the perfect find.

My post is probably to late for you,

We stayed at the Divani Caravel (not acropolis)in Athens,organized by TA

(group/conference)

OK hotel,not the 4 stars that they publish.

Reception was rude, we could not go up to the rooftop at 10 pm to check out the lights of AThens, it was closed.

Breakfast was quite lovely with a wonderful buffet, but everything was lukewarm even at 6.30am when you think it would be at its hottest.

We caught the shuttle bus from our hotel Divani Caravel to Divani Acropolis (free) and then walked up to the Acropolis, so it is very close to the action.

Divani Acropolis did look a bit more upmarket than the Divani Caravel, then again it wouldnt take much.

We did however a year later stay at the AVA APartments. They were very good. Right in the heart of the Plaka. Loved it.

We were there in Jun/July and very hot, hot, hot.

THe AVA is very well airconditioned but a Pool would have put the icing on the cake. So if You can find a hotel in Plaka with a pool and A/C go for it,especially if you have children.

Electra sounds like the perfect find.

Thanks for the reply!. I guess we will find out what it is like when we get there!

There are daily posts about hotels on the Athens forum of tripadvisor, as well as the helpful reviews mentioned previously by Susan. Just be prepared for small rooms.

For example, there is a thread today about the Electra Palace: great location in the Plaka, swimming pool, 4 or 5 stars, but small rooms.

The traditional grand hotel at which to stay in Athens is the Grand Bretagne, right on Syntagma Square.

I noticed a number of people basing the choice of hotel at which to stay in Europe on the number of stars it has. Depending upon the source of your info, most of the time the stars represent what amentites the hotel has and not its quality.

I noticed a number of people basing the choice of hotel at which to stay in Europe on the number of stars it has. Depending upon the source of your info, most of the time the stars represent what amentites the hotel has and not its quality.

Very good point.

I do not think that I ever have stayed at a hotel ranked higher than 3 stars in Europe because to me location and cleanliness are the prime considerations when I am on a sightseeing vacation rather than on a beach/relaxation/resort vacation. Also, I prefer to stay in smaller hotels. I rely heavily on tripadvisor when booking hotels either in Europe or the US. Those rankings do not depend at all the star system.

I just reserved for three nights at the Attalos Hotel in Athens for next April. Never been there before but went by price (94euros/night), reviews on trip advisor and central location. It doesn't have many amenities but we aren't looking for that while in Athens. Be interested to know if anyone here has stayed there.

http://www.attaloshotel.com

Deb.

I just reserved for three nights at the Attalos Hotel in Athens for next April. Never been there before but went by price (94euros/night), reviews on trip advisor and central location. It doesn't have many amenities but we aren't looking for that while in Athens. Be interested to know if anyone here has stayed there.

www.attaloshotel.com

Deb.

We spent two nights there last September on our first trip to Athens. The room was large, the rooftop terrace is wonderful, with amazing views of the Parthenon, the location was convenient for sightseeing, although very nondescript/deserted at night with few people on the street. Awful bathroom and dreadful breakfast.

On our return to Athens in June, we chose to stay in a nicer location on a pedestrian-only street near Syntagma Square. Smaller room, great breakfast, much nicer experience for us.

http://www.attaloshotel.com

Deb.

We stayed there a few years back and it was fine. Good location, convenient to Monastiraki and the Ancient Agora. Room plain but adequate (bathroom was fine.) Breakfast rather nondescript. Nice roof top bar with view of Acropolis.

There is a very interesting neighbourhood nearby called Psiri. It's very up and coming, and has some very interesting restaurants and bars, great place to hear some authentic music in the evening. Also lots of tourist restaurants nearby. The street itself is not very interesting, but we found market streets nearby that were.

CintiPam, Thanks for the input. Do you recall which hotel you stayed at? It's so hard trying to make a choice!

Deb.

We stayed at the Athens Cypria, in the newer section. (They apparently combined two hotels.) The room was much smaller, but also much cleaner, with a better breakfast, in fact, a superb breakfast.

No views at all, however, so if you want that great rooftop view and a more American-hotel sized room, the Attalos will be OK. Just definitely eat breakfast elsewhere.

Frankly, the hotels in Athens simply are not that nice if you want to stay for under $200 a night, which is my upper limit on a sightseeing vacation in any major European city. I just want location and cleanliness and decent service because I am never in the room. I would rather spend the money on a nice dinner out. Our cruise critic friends stayed at the Athens Gate, which they loved: nice rooms and great rooftop views. (And some others really "burned blankets" at the Grande Bretagne.) But the price (in June) simply was above what I was willing to spend in Athens (which was about $160 max). Others on the Athens forum of tripadvisor (which I participate in daily) recommend the Airotel Parthenon, if you prefer to stay closer to the Acropoli metro stop, but it sounds similar to the Cypria.

Hi Pam,

Thank you for your help...is the hotel you recently stayed at convenient to the Metro?

We will be staying in Athens pre-cruise next September and hope to be able to use the Metro between the airport and downtown, and then to get to Piraeus to meet the ship. Is this do-able (assuming we can manage our baggage!).

Any other hotel recommendations (like you, I try to keep costs on the low side, but not at the expense of convenience, cleanliness or safety!)

Thank you again for your help!

Carole

Archived