Beware of non-sponcered ship excursions

ckr31

For those of you that like to go on non princess sponcered excursions.BE CAREFUL they are tons of things that happens to Americans in places like Aruba,Jamaica,and even in Europe. one must always exercise caution.Even taking a taxi cab in a foreign country you are at their mercy.I am not trying to be paraniod(even though experts says some paranoia is good for ones life)just be careful.I have even read on CC that some people have had problem's with non ship sponcered excursions.missing the ship,taxi's breaking down,and one couple I read about got robbed.I personally rather pay the extra few dollars and let the cruise line be incontroll, than some other indivisial,or company(thats just me)no I am not employed by princess or any other cruise line. I am just a cc member concered about my fellow cruisers.AGAIN BE CAREFUL AND ASK YOUSELF IS IT REALLY WORTH THE $20 OR $30 I AM SAVING by doing it on my own.

While it is always good to be cautious, I think you are under a bit of a misperception regarding ship excursions. They are not controlled by the ship. They are supplied by independent vendors that the ship has approved and created agreements with to supply tours to passengers. While it may be comforting to know that they are vetted by the cruise line and that there are certain protections against missing the ship when on a ship booked excursion, it certainly does not preclude a mishap, robbery or other unfortunate situation. There are many excellent, reliable and safe independent tour operators that provide good service and value.

Anything can happen anywhere.even in your own back yard.just want to make people think,and I know the some excursions are not controlled by Princess,but by paying the couple extra dollars puts me at ease, and saves me the headache

I learned it from my husband. We also have asked for references directly from the agency, and have contacted their references. So far, so good.

However, we did see people getting off of the ship and going up to kiosks and making reservations for excursions. I would consider that a bit dicey.

Again traciabd that kinda of going to kiosk blindly,and not knowing what you are getting yourself into is what I am warning about. have I done something like that? YES thank God I did not have any problems ,but I will never do it again.think about it you are in a strange place,you may not speak the language,jumping in a van or cab with money, credit cards, and and wearing jewlery trusting a stranger to take you to a historic site or shopping that makes no sense

I have to tell you, although I agree that things can happen on any private tour, we have been taking private tours (with a mix of ships tours also) for 20 years, and have yet to have a problem one with any of them. Everywhere from Europe to Egypt (also the overnite which was about 1/4 of Princess price) to Bali to Australia to Tahiti, and most destinations inbetween, and as said, not one problem and never came close to missing the ship or anything else. ;)

We do research the ports beforehand, and there are some ports I would not consider booking a private tour, but most are perfectly fine, if you can find others that have explored this tour before you.

Agree with others. Best bet is using cruise critic board for recommendations on excursions. Ship sponsored excursions are often too crowded and too costly. The same is true of every cruiseline. It's not just Princess. Princess marks up the cost of the independent contractor and there is an additional layer of charges that makes ship sponsored excursions very expensive.

Hi Folks,

Don't grab a cab in Cartagena, Columbia unless you speak Spanish... we got ripped-off BIG time on a ride from the Clock-Tower square, back to the ship on our Panama Canal cruise on the Coral a few years ago. I find that the drivers' knowledge of English is very selective, and they can become quite nasty over a few US bucks when they choose not to speak the language of currency. I actually overheard our particular driver speaking perfectly fluent English to a friend on the curb before she embarqued us. Then she was only, "Hablo solamente español." She could say, "Fifty US dollars...", well, though. It should have cost about $15.00.

Caveat Emptor.

I will not be going back to Columbia any time soon... they have a lot to learn about tourism.

I am Canadian. We don't treat our guests like that. If one did, one's mother would slap one up the side of the head! :)

Carl

OUCH! Mom, stop that!!!

For those of you that like to go on non princess sponcered excursions.BE CAREFUL they are tons of things that happens to Americans in places like Aruba,Jamaica,and even in Europe. one must always exercise caution.Even taking a taxi cab in a foreign country you are at their mercy.I am not trying to be paraniod(even though experts says some paranoia is good for ones life)just be careful.I have even read on CC that some people have had problem's with non ship sponcered excursions.missing the ship,taxi's breaking down,and one couple I read about got robbed.I personally rather pay the extra few dollars and let the cruise line be incontroll, than some other indivisial,or company(thats just me)no I am not employed by princess or any other cruise line. I am just a cc member concered about my fellow cruisers.AGAIN BE CAREFUL AND ASK YOUSELF IS IT REALLY WORTH THE $20 OR $30 I AM SAVING by doing it on my own.

I really think you are sensationalizing a bit. Most ports are quite safe, and most private tours as well. I do agree that it's best to get recommendations. There are other ways of checking to make sure that agencies are legitimate, such as checking out there license number with their country's registry, etc.

I have traveled solo in many places around the world. I have walked all over Rome, London, and Paris (among other cities) at all hours. I have taken a private tour (just me and a guide) in Cairo and in Ephesus. Short of being pickpocketed in Barcelona (my own fault), I have never had any problems. The key is research, research, research! Oh, and a healthy dose of street smarts doesn't hurt. If something looks the least bit questionable, don't take a risk.

Really a bit of sensationalizing. One should use care, caution, and be aware of your surrounding the moment you leave your comfort zone.

There are times when ship sponsored excursions are in your best interest regardless of cost, other times not. Regardless, there is enough information to make good, wise, and safe choices. We will do Butchart Gardens with the ship for $256. Privately this would be $122. With only 5 hours in port and possible delays, paying double is worth the peace of mind. This is not $20 or $30 bucks more. Sadly more and more people are booking the cheap cruise deal and packing everything except a nice outfit for dinner and an ounce of common sense.

I agree with the op in reminding all cruises to exercise caution when in foreign ports they are not familiar with just as they should at home when in unfamiliar citites BUT the cruiselines are NOT in charge or control of the excursions that they offer as a service to their passengers. PLEASE read the cruiselines disclaimer reguarding their excursions offered if you think otherwise.

Yes, I do think there can be advantages to booking cruiseline offered excursions sometimes. The biggest being taking an excursion that takes one far from port and takes the majority of time one is in port the ship will wait for you to return before leaving port if the excursion is running late which can not be said for booking a private excursion. There are also times that it is difficult to find a private excursion that is offered by the cruiseline. And third, it is true that if a cruiseline has an overabundance of complaints about a particular excursion that excursion company won't be continuing to be used by the cruiseline. The cruiseline has done some research for you and for many that don't wish to do their own research on private excursions booking through the cruiseline is a good thing BUT bad things CAN STILL happen to people even if they are on a cruiseline sponsored excursion and no one should think otherwise.

Ah yes, the safety of ship sponsored excursions.

http://www.travelblog.org/Forum/Threads/5764-1.html

We don't even get off the ship in Jamaica anymore, as we feel unsafe because the residents are so aggressive. I did do an excursion tour there once with my mother in law. She refused to leave her jewelry in the ship's safe and was wearing a lot. She had been robbed a few months before that while walking with a group in one of the Caribbean islands, but was not shaken enough. So when our tour van stopped in town for shopping, I refused to get off the van unless she took off her jewelry and put it in her purse. She finally relented.

Ah yes, the safety of ship sponsored excursions.

http://www.travelblog.org/Forum/Threads/5764-1.html

I knew there was a reason we stopped taking cruises that included Jamaica, it just looked like a very unsafe place to us. We visited only once, and once was more than enough. :eek:

That poor family, what a terrible experience for them. :(

Dear OP

I know you mean well with your post, but many of us don't just travel by a cruise ship but we have spent years traveling the world to areas that cruise ships will never reach.

On our own....

Backroads Bulgaria was just a few months ago for us ...with Cyrillic alphabet, no one speaking English, a train system that was less than adequate....we survived and our travel experiences THRIVED

we combined that with a few other places going as far as Eastern Turkey...

It was Just the 2 of us...

we had guides, we had drivers, a balloon ride operator that spoke no English and a pharmacist that said in very limited English ...no black market.... I think...

As cruisemom42 stated, it's all about THE RESEARCH...

travellers before you will always be generous with their knowledge...you just need to take the time and energy to do your own research.

We never set foot out of the country without extensive research and a backup plan if something really heads south.

There are times when a ship sponsored shorex is a good idea, but there a many other times that going out on your own is SO MUCH BETTER not only in price, but in the quality immersion experience you will receive.

I can guarantee you that my 19 hours in St. Petersburg, Russia with just my DH and the guide...was soooooooooo much better than sharing a bus with 45 other people.

Also, as Caribill pointed out there have been many instances of problems occuring on a ship sponsored shorex....

it's best that no one ever has a false sense of security, when onboard a shorex ....

I knew there was a reason we stopped taking cruises that included Jamaica, it just looked like a very unsafe place to us. We visited only once, and once was more than enough. :eek:

That poor family, what a terrible experience for them. :(

Truly horrible experience but next time come with me;)

The people away from the ports are much friendlier. I sell in my local market when I am there, Dh helps. He is for show and brings cutomers to the stall.

Jamaican born and bred!

Again it is strange to me that,Americans won't go to area's in the good old U.S.A like west side of Chicago,south central L.A run down area's of Miami,and New York city,but they will go to a foreign land and flag down a taxi and get in the Taxi with anywhere from $200.00 to thousands of dollars in their pocket,exspensive jewelry,and trust the person to take them to some historic church or land mark.this just do not makes sense to me its one of those things that make you go mmmmmmm

Again it is strange to me that,Americans won't go to area's in the good old U.S.A like west side of Chicago,south central L.A run down area's of Miami,and New York city,but they will go to a foreign land and flag down a taxi and get in the Taxi with anywhere from $200.00 to thousands of dollars in their pocket,exspensive jewelry,and trust the person to take them to some historic church or land mark.this just do not makes sense to me its one of those things that make you go mmmmmmm

It works. ;)

Archived