Interview for Chef's Table

m steve

Someone met with us before chef's table every time that I've been there and we always asked about the shoes. My open type shoes were acceptable, he didn't approve of the thong-type sandals though. They really don't want anyone to slip in the kitchen. I remember getting some really dirty looks at my shoes when we met up with other couples right before the coats and dinner. I was quick to inform that we did ASK. The only full shoes that I bring on a cruise are sneakers and they are not appropriate for such a dinner. I'd rather not go than wear them.

I was on the chef's table for the Ruby inaugural and we did not have any pre-interiew. When I made the reservation on the phone, I was asked if I had any food allergies. We were also told we could wear open toe shoes which most of the women wore.

thanks for info

isit worth $75? why?

Just returned from Ruby Princess yesterday..... Chef's table was one of the highlights of the Cruise

Fantastic food with the fine wine & champagne to go with each course........... basically an unforgetable experience. Ours was truly amazing :D

thanks for info

isit worth $75? why?

The only people who seem to say it's not worth it are those who haven't tried it. It's worth every penny! It's an experience, not a meal. You must try it to be able to fully understand what it is.

Nut allergy question........I'm not deathly allergic to walnuts, but they make my mouth kind of raw (like eating too many strawberries). I always tend to avoid them, and it keeps me away from eating too many chocolate chip cookies ;).

Do you think this is a problem and I should mention it, or just keep my mouth shut? I really want to attend and I don't want them to make me a dessert which I would probably decline yet I don't want to be excluded either...

Please understand this is NOT a life or death allergy. Thanks :)

Nut allergy question........I'm not deathly allergic to walnuts, but they make my mouth kind of raw (like eating too many strawberries).

Do you think this is a problem and I should mention it, or just keep my mouth shut? I really want to attend and I don't want them to make me a dessert which I would probably decline yet I don't want to be excluded either...

It is not a problem if you mention it. They can then be sure you will not get any food with walnuts in it.

We have been lucky enough to have done the Chef's Table twice. The first time was in the Caribbean, where the interview consisted of asking about food allergies and recent illness. The closed toe shoe requirement was waived for us, since most women don't bring closed toe shoes to the Caribbean. We also were not required to wear the white coats in the galley. Two weeks ago, we were on the Island cruising Alaska. The interview was basically the same, but we WERE required to wear closed toe shoes. Luckily, I had a pair of black canvas shoes that fit the bill. Before going into the galley, white coats were put on each of us....mine didn't fit and I was uncomfortable for that portion. They need to ask what size you wear in the interview. All in all, the experience is so wonderful, it is worth all of the inconveniences.

Our experience was similiar, we were told open toed shoes were okay.

Not really a good way to get your money's worth at a chef's table!!!!:D

Heh, heh. Good one.

I think at our meal, the only "nutty" thing was the walnut bread that the camembert was served on. But I'd definitely mention your issues; they could probably easily substitute. Some people go in saying they won't eat red meat or won't eat seafood, so saying you have a mild reaction to walnuts hardly seems unreasonable!

I'd mention the walnuts. Each meal is unique and it would not be a problem for them to not serve something with walnuts. When we got to the desert, we advised the waiter not to serve my DH as he is diabetic. They brought him something else in very short order. It is the most expensive meal I have ever had and I thought it was worth every penny.

Archived