Gold jewelry in the Greek Isles

cherylakers

Ok, I have read where there is lots of gold jewelry to be purchased on some of the islands. Is it good gold, like the 14K we get in the states??? I know in Italy some times is was 18K and that is a little softer gold. Where do you get the best selection and bargains.

Thanks

Cheryl

Ok, I have read where there is lots of gold jewelry to be purchased on some of the islands. Is it good gold, like the 14K we get in the states??? I know in Italy some times is was 18K and that is a little softer gold. Where do you get the best selection and bargains.

Thanks

Cheryl

Rhodes has the best prices and next is Santorini (in some shops)... Mykonos is the more expensive... General, Greece has good gold and many times the same design exist with 14K - 18K - silver - platinum etc...

Greece does have lots of gold jewelry and it varies from cheap machine-made junk to the highest quality one-of-a-kind pieces. My DW has been very impressed with the higher quality gold jewelry in Athens and Mykonos because they have some excellent designers. The European designers tend to work in 18k gold (as opposed to the 14k we usually see here) although we have noticed more 14k in Europe as the price of gold has increased.

Hank

We will be on the Azamara late Sept and stopping in various ports in Italy, Greece and Turkey. Based on the question of the best place to purchase gold and jewellery which do others suggest.

Italy- Florence or Rome

Greece- Nafplion or Volos

Turkey- Istanbul

Thanks

The Greek gold we saw in Mykonos and Santorini was mostly 18-20K. Beautiful stuff, great workmanship, fair prices. As pointed out, it is a little softer than 14K; and if you have 14K pieces also, the purer gold will clash if worn at the same time, because it is a deeper golden color. In Santorini, they were very willing to do custom pieces to order, that day.

I would not buy in Turkey unless I was sure I knew what I was getting. They do have a lot of gold in the Istanbul Grand Bazaar, but make sure you get what you pay for.

Between Florence and Rome, I would go for the Ponte Vecchio in Florence. Not cheap, but you will see some gorgeous pieces. Go in with an idea of what you want, or the "shopper's glare" will overwhelm you!

Have purchased some beautiful pieces on both of our Med cruises.

Corfu - a stunning Alexander the Great coin ring.

Santorini - a beautiful Athena coin pendant.

Florence - a very unique coin pendant with St. John on one side and an olive branch on the other with a bezel that swivels so you can turn in over while wearing. Also purchased a beautiful pin/brooch for mil that was gold filigree work that was amazing. Both of these were on the Ponte Vecchio.

Mykonos - saw some truly unique and beautiful items while there. The Greek orthodox crosses are works of art. Did not buy one - a tad high. I do agree with Hank that there seemed to be a lot of "designer" work here but along with the "name" comes a non-negotiable price it seems. DH loves to bargain - not much luck here.

Istanbul and Kusadasi - looked at quite a few pieces in Istanbul at the Grand Bazaar. Decided to wait until Kusadasi - glad I did. Purchased a few items in Sirince at a very cool store. The owner had done all the design and made the pieces of jewelry etc. for the movie Troy. Each piece was one of a kind...... and the prices couldnt be better.

Just as an aside, 18k is actually "better" gold than 14k, as in it is purer. 14k is harder because it has less actual gold in it. Many artisans prefer to work in 18k gold (or even softer) because it is more malleable and allows them to be more creative.

All of the gold pieces I've bought for myself and wear frequently are 18k, and I've never had any problems with them. If you are hard on jewelry, you may find the 18k pieces tend to show a few more scratches, dings, etc, but a good jeweler can fix that easily.

Can anyone share some tips on buying gold jewelry in Greece - how to tell good quality vs. the cheapo stuff so we don't over pay, etc? I am interested in a gold coin pendant. Any ideas as to what I should expect to pay?

We'll be in Mykonos, Santorini, Athens, and Kusadasi - sounds like Mykonos is the best place to look.

Thanks for any help! I know what I like but beyond that, I don't have a clue about good vs. bad and don't want to get taken.

Thanks!!

Tammy

Can anyone share some tips on buying gold jewelry in Greece - how to tell good quality vs. the cheapo stuff so we don't over pay, etc? I am interested in a gold coin pendant. Any ideas as to what I should expect to pay?

We'll be in Mykonos, Santorini, Athens, and Kusadasi - sounds like Mykonos is the best place to look.

Thanks for any help! I know what I like but beyond that, I don't have a clue about good vs. bad and don't want to get taken.

Thanks!!

Tammy

The price of gold jewelry is governed by two factors: the price of the gold itself (which is now at an all-time high), and the price of the workmanship that goes into it. Because workers are paid differently in different countries, a similar piece of jewelry might be more expensive in Italy (where craftsmen are well paid) and less expensive in Turkey (where they are less well paid). Greece probably tends closer to Italy, but may be a bit cheaper.

14k gold is cheaper than 18k gold, and 20k is more still, because it contains more gold.

If I were you, I'd do a little homework before I go. Make sure you know what the current price of gold is per gram, and if you are buying a substantial piece, you have the right to ask them to weigh it in front of you -- don't just take their word for it on the number of grams. It goes without saying that the piece should have the appropriate markings indicating that it is gold.

You're interested in a gold coin pendant? There are several possibilities. If you want a real coin (in other words, something that was actually used in coinage) it may be harder to find and pricier than a "decorative" gold coin. Also, gold coins are stamped, not hand worked, but the surrounding bezel might be hand worked (a bezel can be very simple or very decorative, depending on your tastes).

Do a little research online to get some idea of what you like and what it might cost. That way you'll go prepared. Here are a couple of links I found by Googling:

http://hellenic-art.com/jewel/pendants.htm

http://www.itsallgreek.co.uk/US/jewelry_us.asp

Thanks!!

Tammy

I found my Athena gold coin pendant on Santorini in Oia. My first tip is to look at the store closely. I know that is not necessarily the only criteria as they can "rip you off" just as well as anyone else......but usually they will carry only the better quality items. Mykonos had alot more "designer" items but they came with a price. I saw a gorgeous Greek orthodox cross that I wanted badly !!!! but had just purchased my coin the day before :o Oh well....next trip. Also be aware that all "coin" pendants etc are not necessarily or usually real coins (as in money) ~ but more a decorative item.

Always ask for a business card - see if it has a website on it. Also purchase with a credit card (even if it costs a tad more) as this will give you a way to negotiate a refund if you get home and find that your jeweler says you did not make a wise purchase :rolleyes: Also.....I always ask for a written receipt of what I am getting..... make sure they list if 18K or 14K or whatever to back up the purchase. Another tip.....I always take a picture of the store where I purchased the item.

Once you find the piece you want - Bargain. Start at half the asking price. They will sometimes laugh at you - thats ok...... laugh back.

Let them know you are serious but also appear confident in what you think the item is worth or at least what you are willing to pay for it. Be prepared to walk out. I have actually had a store owner follow me down the street...... quoting lower and lower prices the further away we got. Be a savvy buyer :)

Lastly, window shop here at home at local jewelry stores...... check out 14K versus 18K items.... the more familiar you are with the differences the better. It is the same with diamonds, other stones or just gold....the more you know the better.

Hope this helps..... have fun shopping ~!

. Purchased a few items in Sirince at a very cool store. The owner had done all the design and made the pieces of jewelry etc. for the movie Troy. Each piece was one of a kind...... and the prices couldnt be better.

Texancruzer, Do you know the name of the store you purchased from?

We will be there in Nov.

I love necklaces (drops) that are my main souviner. I have 2 20 inch fairly thick gold chains - 1 white gold, 1 yellow gold. I bought these chains from our coin store and they were sold for the price of gold -- very much cheaper than what jewlery stores charge. 20 inch long so that it slips over my head (arthritis). I have 15 drops ranging from gold coins, to ruby/diamonds family piece, to black pearl, to really cheap but unique ball from Russia. I can afford the drops because I don't have to buy the chain for it to hang from. If something happens to the chain or I want a different look, the coin store buys the gold (chain) and applies $ to the new chain.

Also remember that you will need complete description and appraisal for insurance and for custom forms. I know that in French Polynesia a loose black pearl was not taxed as jewlery or for VAT but a mounted pearl was both VAT and jewel tax. Know the rules.

. Purchased a few items in Sirince at a very cool store. The owner had done all the design and made the pieces of jewelry etc. for the movie Troy. Each piece was one of a kind...... and the prices couldnt be better.

Texancruzer, Do you know the name of the store you purchased from?

We will be there in Nov.

Sorry I did not respond sooner...... internet been down.

I cannot find the business card he gave us...... think I gave it to my daughter with bracelet (see pic) BUT here are two pictures. One of the store (look for # 26) and one of the owner and designer with the bracelet we bought.

1663711381_EuropeanVacation2009836.jpg.cf7e205ed09bb062d48b09ebc7db4bdb.jpg

1882559940_EuropeanVacation2009835.jpg.959014440f1b8fb84bf0cb2b10ed4d7e.jpg

Texancruzer,

Only a dedicated CC friend would go to all that trouble. You have gone way beyond and above the call.

I am planning on printing your pics. Hopefully I can blow them up .

lesley

Lesley - no problem. This really was a neat store. Everything very unusual and unique. All one of a kinds. The owner was very nice too and remember...... bargain ! The store was full of posters and articles from when he had done the jewelry (headpieces etc) for the movie TROY. I am sure you will have no problem finding it.....Sirince is small. When we were there we drove down a long street to an area near some public bathrooms...... across from that was a path that went back into the shops area...... it was in there a ways. I am sure if you ask.....#26 - someone will show you the way..... I also purchased a gorgeous tablecloth and napkins all hand embroidered for my sil. Blackberry wine for bil and a few other items here. Very cool village but definately getting touristy.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you do decide to buy "gold" jewelry on the islands, be sure you get more than a credit card transaction slip as a receipt. I recently bought a necklace from what appeared to be a nice jewelry store on the main street in Rhodes that they represented as gold. It turned out to be just costume/junk. I foolishly failed to get a full receipt describing what I was buying and am now having fun with my credit card company trying to dispute the charge with only a Visa slip as documentation.

Archived