Two Cases of Idiocy on the Crown

Pam in CA

Just disembarked the Crown Princess British Isles cruise yesterday morning, and there were a couple of instances of idiots being idiots. There were quite a few really, really rude people onboard but that wasn't the worst.

As we were waiting to disembark, we learned that some idiot threw a glass at the pilot boat in one of the ports. Someone reported it and after reviewing the security tapes, the people were put off at the next port (which must have been either Ireland or France); because of the seriousness of this, the UK barred them from entering so they couldn't use their air tickets from Heathrow so they had to pay for all new airfare to get home.

Also, during the last night before disembarkation, the elevators were vandalized and rendered unusable. :( They got one working among the aft elevators and a couple mid-ship (I don't know about the forward elevators) but it was chaos with only one working elevator in the aft of the ship with people trying to get up to the buffet or down to disembark. I was told that the security cameras would be reviewed and the culprits identified. I hope they throw the book at them. IMHO, this is a criminal act since it affected the safety of everyone on the ship, particularly those with limited mobility.

OMG Pam, that is horrible. What in the world are these passengers thinking? I can't remember ever hearing of something like this happening in the past. But I agree, I hope they throw the book at them. Thankfully they have the security tapes to identify them. :eek:

And Welcome Back! I hope you had a delightful cruise! :)

Hurray for security cams.......and that Princess put them off at the next port. I'm sure they are now banned from any future Princess Cruises as well. And nothing will grab someones attention more than having to buy one way airfare from Europe at the last minute. What is wrong with some people? What are they thinking when they do such things? Hopefully they can also identify the vandals that damaged the elevators and stick them with a repair bill.

I remember when the Crown was brand new shortly after the "TILT" and someone smashed up the entire putting green. They took the clubs and smashed all the fake rock speakers on the deck smashed windows in the golf office area. They now have large security camera there now.

Hi Pam,

Glad to see you made it home safe and sound,

I visited the Crown while she was in Greenock

and got full details of the muppets throwing things at the pilot,

they also shouted a lot xxxxx words at him,

when brought in front of the captain they offered no explaination to their

actions.

yours Shogun

Why would anyone throw something at the pilot. That is one of the fun things to watch on a cruise. Also a very bad thing to do. Just being put off the ship is nice. That should be criminal. When we were on the Lane Victory a couple weeks ago the pilot had to climb a rope ladder to get on the ship. Throwing anything would have made that more of a hazard.

And to break elevators is just stupid, charges should also be made for that. We use the stairs because there are many mobility impaired people around. Where is the fun in that. Have to wonder about some people and what they define as fun. Fun is not hurting people or breaking things.

First of all welcome home Pam and hopefully you had a good cruise except for those idiots. It really does not matter of they are adults or children, I say throw the book at them and if is children go after the parents. My gosh that stuff is serious. i agree that it is a criminal offense frankly in both cases. I truly hope that Princess bans them from cruising.

Marilyn

We use the stairs because there are many mobility impaired people around. Where is the fun in that. Have to wonder about some people and what they define as fun. Fun is not hurting people or breaking things.

We use the stairs for that same reason. (Well, also so we can eat more fun and delicious food, too). We did use the elevator once to bring down our luggage at the end of the cruise. I would have hated to haul that down the stairs. Shame on those who deliberately inconvience others.

Amazing how some people will act. Glad those who threw things at the pilot were immediately put off - good ridance!!! As to breaking the elevators, agree with those above, hope they throw the book at them and ban them from any future cruises!! I am apalled by some people's behavior sometimes.

Wow! I noticed on the last evening that there were lots of elevator problems, particularly with the aft elevators. I had to go up and down them several times from Deck 10 to Deck 17 to sign my 8 year old in and out of the Fun Zone. It took forever and I noticed at least two elevators were out of service. But I had no idea it was vandalism! And the pilot boat incident is shocking.

We also encountered quite a few rude people -- some people were absurdly pushy and aggressive in lines (e.g., getting off the shuttle buses) and getting off elevators (e.g., pushing your way out from the back of the elevator without bothering to say "excuse me" or "out please").

On the bright side, we enjoyed all the ports and enjoyed meeting our CC Roll Call friends, including Pam!

Princess should pass the names of all those involved to Every cruise line so that they cannot ever board a cruise ship again ..... anywhere in the world.

Pam .... hope you enjoyed your cruise and to think we were only 25 miles from you when you docked in Liverpool .... :D

Hi Pam,

Glad to see you made it home safe and sound,

I visited the Crown while she was in Greenock

and got full details of the muppets throwing things at the pilot,

they also shouted a lot xxxxx words at him,

when brought in front of the captain they offered no explaination to their

actions.

Thanks for this additional info. :) If you were among 4 or 5 people being given a tour of the ship, I saw you a couple of times. Once was when I was hanging out (actually, curled up on the couch) in the Adagio Lounge, reading a book. :)

Wow! I noticed on the last evening that there were lots of elevator problems, particularly with the aft elevators. I had to go up and down them several times from Deck 10 to Deck 17 to sign my 8 year old in and out of the Fun Zone. It took forever and I noticed at least two elevators were out of service. But I had no idea it was vandalism! And the pilot boat incident is shocking.

We also encountered quite a few rude people -- some people were absurdly pushy and aggressive in lines (e.g., getting off the shuttle buses) and getting off elevators (e.g., pushing your way out from the back of the elevator without bothering to say "excuse me" or "out please").

On the bright side, we enjoyed all the ports and enjoyed meeting our CC Roll Call friends, including Pam!

Mary, it was great meeting you and hope our paths cross again. I agree that there were many rude people on this cruise, more than I've experienced before. I've written notes and will post them after I transfer them from my netbook to my laptop. Among the notes is how rude people were. :( For instance, we had one experience where we got off the ship to take a ship's tour and a couple had already boarded the bus without a ticket and without paying for a ticket, and refused to leave. It took the Princess Rep about 15 minutes to get the guy and his wife off the bus and when they did, the guy was so steaming mad he was shaking. I gather he thought tours were included with the cruise cost.

Thank you for all the welcome backs. :) We had a very nice time and met some great people, like Mary. :)

These are shocking stories!! Haven't been on the Crown, but have eyed a couple of interesting itineraries.

I know this is not an appropriate question, but have to ask it anyway......based on some of our experiences on cruises, both Princess and others - but are you able to give some indication as to a particular nationality that were rude and otherwise just blatantly stupid like the pilot and elevator incident?

Insensitive post, I know, but we've run into similar behavior from a particular country in the past on two cruises and hope to avoid it in the future............

Archived