Cruising Out of FLL...can I buy wine on Sunday morning before cruise?

curlimommy

We are trying to decide on airfare and are contemplating a late arrival into FLL Saturday night for a Sunday cruise. We would like to buy some wine before we board the cruise on Sunday and I wasn't sure if there were any options to buy wine on a Sunday morning. Any tips anyone?

We are trying to decide on airfare and are contemplating a late arrival into FLL Saturday night for a Sunday cruise. We would like to buy some wine before we board the cruise on Sunday and I wasn't sure if there were any options to buy wine on a Sunday morning. Any tips anyone?

It shouldn't be a problem. On Sundays, they don't open until Noon. There's a Total Wine near the port. They are open until 11pm on Saturday. http://www.totalwine.com/StoreList.aspx?state=FL&store=904

It shouldn't be a problem. On Sundays, they don't open until Noon. There's a Total Wine near the port. They are open until 11pm on Saturday. http://www.totalwine.com/StoreList.aspx?state=FL&store=904

Can you still bring wine on board on Celebrity? I know you can't on Royal, I haven't cruised X in about 5 years, getting ready for Solstice this January. So can you bring wine on board?

You can bring on 2 bottles of wine per stateroom.

Near the port is Crown Liquor (its across from the Embassy Suites). They have an excellent choice of wine. I'm sure on Sunday they also don't open until noon as well. There is also a Publix supermarket in the area that might be open but I don't know if the liquor laws allow sale before noon.

You can bring on 2 bottles of wine per stateroom.

Near the port is Crown Liquor (its across from the Embassy Suites). They have an excellent choice of wine. I'm sure on Sunday they also don't open until noon as well. There is also a Publix supermarket in the area that might be open but I don't know if the liquor laws allow sale before noon.

As I have written many times before. 2 bottles is whats posted.

I was recently on the Summit July 9th and brought on 5 bottles on teh ship. I was happy to pay a corkage fee of $25 for each one. I brought 3 bottles from my personal cellar (in my suitcase) and then bought 2 more from and awesome wine store I know in Venice. The Sommeliers were thrilled to decant my wine for 3-5 hours when I requested it. The wine stewards on the ship were fantastic and I would bring full case next time if I could. :D

Actually, it's state law.

I've stayed at the Comfort Inn near the airport and walked over to BJ's nearby and picked up a couple of bottles before taking the shuttle to our cruise... well before 11 am.

On another trip we bought a couple of bottles at Walmart early in the AM.

Has the law changed recently?

I've stayed at the Comfort Inn near the airport and walked over to BJ's nearby and picked up a couple of bottles before taking the shuttle to our cruise... well before 11 am.

It’s not a state law in Florida but maybe a city ordinance in some city’s but not in FFL. Publix shopping centers will sell Wine and Beer at 7:00am when they open on Sundays.

Joel

Actually, it's state law.

Not really. Fla Liquor Laws restrict Liquor/Wine/Beer sales between 3am and 7am, Mon-Sun. Local Counties can restrict this further.

I checked with Big Daddy’s and Publix near the Port and both start sales at 12noon and said that's true for other Ft Lauderdale sites. Hollywood has earlier wine/beer sales, but as far as I can tell, nothing near the Port. That is counter to what some others are reporting, but only passing what I was told calling a few places near the Port.

Denny

Denny

As best I can remember, a few years ago Florida changed the Sunday sale of liquor from 1:00PM to 11:00AM. The 11:00 change made it possible to serve alcoholic beverages for Sunday brunch.

Before the change wine and beer could not be sold in grocery stores, etc until 1:00PM on Sundays.

I did a quick google to check the time, and my memory (moved from FL in 2003) and a list of the 50 states liquor laws shows 11:00AM for Florida on Sundays.

Linda

We are staying at Comfort Inn & Suites (2520 Stirling Ave, Hollywood) night before is the Bj's amd wallmart near by for morning/evening walk to make purchases.

John

As best I can remember, a few years ago Florida changed the Sunday sale of liquor from 1:00PM to 11:00AM. The 11:00 change made it possible to serve alcoholic beverages for Sunday brunch.

Before the change wine and beer could not be sold in grocery stores, etc until 1:00PM on Sundays.

I did a quick google to check the time, and my memory (moved from FL in 2003) and a list of the 50 states liquor laws shows 11:00AM for Florida on Sundays.

Linda

Again, this is NOT a state law. Some counties are 1PM, some start selling at 7AM. I know this, I live here, I live in a county that sells at 7AM. Ft Lauderdale(Broward County) may be 11 or 12 or 1, but it is not a state law, it is a county by county ordinance.

We are staying at Comfort Inn & Suites (2520 Stirling Ave, Hollywood) night before is the Bj's amd wallmart near by for morning/evening walk to make purchases.

John

That's where BJ is a short 5-10 min walk away..just google the map.

That's where BJ is a short 5-10 min walk away..just google the map.

Thanks,

I was just reviewing the hotel reservations and discovered that we are at 1800 Federal Hwy - Comfort Inn & Suites. Maybe someone can point me to another location nearby for soda & Wine for carryon.

John

Thanks,

I was just reviewing the hotel reservations and discovered that we are at 1800 Federal Hwy - Comfort Inn & Suites. Maybe someone can point me to another location nearby for soda & Wine for carryon.

John

John

Go to mapquest.com, put in your hotel location and then do a search in that area for a liquor store, wine store, or major Grocery.

Denny

Thanks,

John

You are just little way from the Crown Liquor store and Publix I mentioned. Just ask the desk for directions when you check in.

I just went and googled this question....

"Florida:State law prohibits selling of alcohol between 3 a.m. and 7 a.m., unless the county chooses to change the operating hours later; such as for Sunday morning; Ormond Beach stays open until 7pm on Sundays. Miami-Dade County liquor stores may operate 24 hours a day."

"Sale, processing, or consumption of any liquor or spirit of greater than 153 proof is illegal. (FSS 565.07)

Supermarkets and other licensed business establishments may sell beer, low-alcohol liquors, and wine. Liquor must be sold in dedicated liquor stores which may be in a separate part of a grocery or a drug store. Beer must be sold in quantities of 32ounces or less or greater than 1gallon. 40 and 64 ounce beverages are illegal".

I got this information off Wykepedia....google it....list of alcohol

laws by states.

So, just go south a bit to Dade County and find a liquor store:) they can sell it

to you 24/7....

Florida is FUNKY.......it is by COUNTY.....each county has

their own liquor laws.

Lois, in Ohio its by voting ward (which can less than you can count on your hand and feet but normally is around a couple hundred). Liquor licenses are somewhat transferable but new ones have to be voted on (and there are like a dozen different versions).

We also have this wonderful law that requires a minimum markup from wholesalers to retailers and from retailers to customers on wine (amounting to about 40%).

I think it goes back to the prohibition days when Ohio was one of the leaders in the bad expirement. But the laws still exist - they did repeal the law that closed all alchohol sales on election days - maybe that explains some of the screwy results that come out of the state :D.

We tried 2 supermarkets and a wine store last March. The wine store was closed,the supermarkets just smiled and said sorry, not before noon. This was in FLL.

Ft. Lauderdale is in Broward County. Their law must be noon

on Sundays.

Ft. Lauderdale is in Broward County. Their law must be noon

on Sundays.

Lois, I didn’t realize Broward had a noon rule on Sundays. We normally drive to FLL for cruises so we always bring our wine. A few years back I was down in FLL on Business and I know we bought some wine on a Sunday morning at a Publix but now that I think about it the place we stayed was actually in Dade Co. That wound not be convenient to the port however.

Thanks for catching that!:)

Joel

Archived