Strict Luggage Rules on Delta

ehschief

Ha anyone experieced having to pay for oversized luggage? I have a suitcase that measures exactly 62 inches. If we put stuff in the front pockets it will exceed the size limit, does that count? Has anyone had to incur a hefty charge due to the extended size? I am really scared to use it. Any experiences?

Assuming your 62" are in standard suitcase proportions and aren't attracting undue attention, most (if not all) airlines I have flown with are much more concerned about your bag's weight than its linear dimensions. I wouldn't sweat things too much.

Scott.

There doesn't seem to be total consistency. One time it might be okay and another not. You really have to strictly follow their guidelines or risk being charged. :(

I had a Jet Blue check in person let my bag go through with no charge when it weighed 52 pounds but someone else might not.

[/b]

I was just on an American flight and they were very strict with the carry-on sizes. They pulled one guy over since he had and expanded section of his bag and obviously it would not fit - he fooled them though by simply unzipping it and counting that piece as his personal item! Kind of funny to see it happen.

DaveOKC

For the size you describe, 62 inches for a checked bag, they seem to be more concerned about staying within the 50 lb. max. You may find to be able to keep within the 50 lb. max, that it cannot be expanded anyway.

For a carry-on, they will check if a bag looks over the 45 inches size (Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit; approximately 22"x14"x9"). And they did check it for our son's carry-on... thanks goodness it fit.

BTW, on our last flight, they were being particularly strict with the number of carry-ons; max of 1 carry-on and 1 personal item. They were adhering to the size and number limits and having people check their luggage if over.

Exactly right on all accounts, I just don't want to get to the airport and get nailed for a lot of money. If we don't put anything in the pockets we will be okay, especially having to stay under the 50 pound limit. I am really in a quandry what to do..

When you are going for 3 weeks, it is hard to limit what you take.

ehschief, Try belting it with a luggage strap. I put them on my overstuffed luggage and I've never had a problem. (Just remember to put them on tight) Makes the bags look slimmer than they are, makes ID easier and are great should the zipper break.

Exactly right on all accounts, I just don't want to get to the airport and get nailed for a lot of money. If we don't put anything in the pockets we will be okay, especially having to stay under the 50 pound limit. I am really in a quandry what to do..

When you are going for 3 weeks, it is hard to limit what you take.

If you are really struggling, think about taking another bag. It is less costly to check a second bag than to pay overweight/oversize. If your bag is both overweight and too big, they will assess penalty for both on the same bag.

A second bag will permit you to be sure you are below the 50 pound limit.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know if there are specific maximum measurements for your personal item?

What could a man take as a personal item, so that we could have an extra carry on for things in. Of course I will take purse. I am thinking our laptop case (w/o the laptop of course)? But that is on the small side.. but it would allow us some extra items.

I usually put my purse inside a tote bag, and call that my personal item on the plane. I'm amazed at the huge carry-on bags some people seem to get by with. Small suitcases!

A tote bag is handy to have on a cruise, anyhow. The small HAL tote is fine for around the ship, but a tad small for shore excursions. The other problem with the HAL tote is that everyone has one, so it's hard to pick yours it you set it down somewhere.

What could a man take as a personal item, so that we could have an extra carry on for things in. Of course I will take purse. I am thinking our laptop case (w/o the laptop of course)? But that is on the small side.. but it would allow us some extra items.

Yes, my husband has used, not on the same trip, a laptop case without laptop inside and a messenger bag, which is about the same size. Also, a backback, not one of those huge pack for a month of mountaineering types, would suffice.

Hmm - Delta I always got my luggage -- USAIR == previously know as Agony Air (Alleganay) never mind -- I always carried on whatever I needed. -- Particularly if I was going to Philadelphia -- I never expected to get my luggage there. Got a lot of new clothes tho....

My husband carries a health back bag (large) that we got from LLBean. He never travels without his "man-purse". His buddies at the races in Las Vegas several years ago scoffed at it, but they were envious when the temperature dropped and he pulled gloves, hat and windbreaker out of it.

With Delta, one time they've made us take out one pound (and who knows the accuracy of the scales?) and another time 52 lbs has been just fine. Haven't come up against the size issue yet....................but have against the missing luggage when our flight was delayed and we had to take a later flight. Oh well, love 4 days without luggage on a Cunard cruise!!!! Can't think of a worse one on which that could happen. :rolleyes:

My husband carries a health back bag (large) that we got from LLBean. He never travels without his "man-purse". His buddies at the races in Las Vegas several years ago scoffed at it, but they were envious when the temperature dropped and he pulled gloves, hat and windbreaker out of it.

Off subject for a sec. Was that a NASCAR or IRL race in Vegas, srlafleur??

Just bought a scale that weighes your luggage. You put it on the handlepick up and put down. It tells you the weight. Never had the trouble at home as I weighed it on the bathroom scale coming back is another matter it is small enough to carry with you

Just bought a scale that weighes your luggage. You put it on the handle pick up and put down. It tells you the weight. Never had the trouble at home as I weighed it on the bathroom scale coming back is another matter it is small enough to carry with you

An overweight bag is much more expensive ($90) than a second bag ($25). The guy we had in Seattle for curbside checkin didn't weigh our bags, but we knew they were around 42 pounds each after weighing them at home and adjusting carefully.

As far as carryons go; this is what their website says:

Personal Items

You're allowed one personal item from this sample list:

• Purses, briefcases, camera cases, and diaper bags
  • Laptop computers (can’t be checked and must be carried on)
  • Items of a similar or smaller size to those above

Archived