Odd ? re: Oosterdam/HAL dining

cascole

I have a bit of a pet peve... always when I have cruised (even on Carnival) there has been a proper place setting in the dining room. Please tell me that HAL still sees the value in this? On my most recent cruise, however, the place settings were 'skimpy' & I had to ask for a new fork between courses. :confused: It may have been an anomoly but I looked at several tables & all seemed to be set improperly. It was certainly a first & with recent cut backs made me wonder - and while it will not stop me from cruising any line, I really hope I will not have to ask on HAL.

Compared to a decade ago, I think the place settings ARE smaller. There's no longer every possible utensil that could possibly be required for one's dinner. IIRC, the fish forks are only delivered if a fish fork is required. (That's the one I recall, anyway :) ) I remember the days when you sat down to dinner and pondered the place setting, figuring out which utensil was to be used and when it was to be used :D The place settings once seemed to stretch to infinity!

I have never noticed this.....

In fact, one cruise there was a demonstration (posted in the daily calendar of events) of table settings. I went and even though I knew the reason why the fish knife did what, didn't really know where it was supposed to go, so I was very interested in the demonstration. I learned alot and I have never seen an improper table place setting.

Does anyone know how to place your silverware to show you are done eating? Hopefully most of you do.

I have a cruise leaving in 2 weeks, so I'll keep a look out for this.

Thanks all... you know, it's just one of those small pet peeves... I don't expect the full 'all out' setting with the fish fork etc... but more than one knife, fork & spoon should be set without having to ask. :) ... now, just don't ask how we do it at home! LOL!

I have never noticed this.....

In fact, one cruise there was a demonstration (posted in the daily calendar of events) of table settings. I went and even though I knew the reason why the fish knife did what, didn't really know where it was supposed to go, so I was very interested in the demonstration. I learned alot and I have never seen an improper table place setting.

Does anyone know how to place your silverware to show you are done eating? Hopefully most of you do.

I have a cruise leaving in 2 weeks, so I'll keep a look out for this.

Years ago, I was told by a waiter to place fork and knife on right hand side facing into the plate and that indicated to them that you were done. Hope that makes sense.

Part of giving less silverware maybe that they have fewer waiters or fewer assistants. I am usually given extra utensils if I order something that needs a utensil, i.e. fish fork, steak knife. I thought it was funny after one sat down and gave your order that they would take half of the utensils away! I think the first sitting of dinner probably has the most utensils because they have more time to set the table up. So now thinking of open seating dining, I would think they have to scramble to get that table all set up again. Then there is using more water to wash unused utensils and the area captains are nonexistant or rare to check on the place settings.

Why is it important to have a table full of silverware that doesn't get used? Do you have that at home?

Which silverware in a basic place setting goes unused? I'd be happy with a basic setting... it's when they give you ONE fork & expect you to use it for your appetizer, salad & main course that peeves me. We shouldn't have to ask for new utensils.

This is the standard set up that I refer to & I can't see where something would go unused during dinner in the MDR ... like I said, I don't need all out formal with the fish fork, oyster fork, salad knife...

place_setting.jpg.83bf3cb01ac90cfec63c038f4777c76b.jpg

My experience has been that they will provide the utensils needed; if they remove the fork with the salad plate, another fork is provided. It could be that sometimes they may forget to do that.

As for the basic setting graphic shown: I really don't need 4 glasses in front of me. :D

If a full formal seetting is used, what happens to all the unused items? Should they be washed again? I think yes, but it does mean at times it may go back into the use again. To clean unused items just to make something look pretty (and traditional - is a waste IMHO. :)

My experience has been that they will provide the utensils needed; if they remove the fork with the salad plate, another fork is provided. It could be that sometimes they may forget to do that.

As for the basic setting graphic shown: I really don't need 4 glasses in front of me. :D

If a full formal seetting is used, what happens to all the unused items? Should they be washed again? I think yes, but it does mean at times it may go back into the use again. To clean unused items just to make something look pretty (and traditional - is a waste IMHO. :)

Again - we are not speaking of a full formal place setting... and no, I don't need 4 glasses either, two will suffice. :D

The issue is not tradition or 'pretty'. (...and by that argument, why dress not wear shorts or pajamas to the dining room - just for tradition or to look pretty? Afterall, it would be a waste to change into a new outfit before dinner.) But I digress - it's a simple matter of contamination of flavors/textures/smells.

Anyway - seems my question has been answered with a resounding 'sometimes'. :D Thank you all for your insight.

Part of giving less silverware maybe that they have fewer waiters or fewer assistants. I am usually given extra utensils if I order something that needs a utensil, i.e. fish fork, steak knife. I thought it was funny after one sat down and gave your order that they would take half of the utensils away! I think the first sitting of dinner probably has the most utensils because they have more time to set the table up. So now thinking of open seating dining, I would think they have to scramble to get that table all set up again. Then there is using more water to wash unused utensils and the area captains are nonexistant or rare to check on the place settings.

Although I haven't sailed yet with the new As you Wish dining, in the past the waiter would always take away utensils after taking an order. If you didn't order fish, the fish knife was taken away, if you didn't order a salad, the salad fork was taken away.....etc. I will be curious to see if there is any difference on this cruise, our first with supposed cutbacks.

OK, someone else out there reading this thread will have to ask, what is a fish fork? For inquiring minds you can read the following link.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-fish-fork.htm

I learn something new everyday.

So do I:)

I think I had this MANY years ago in Peru at a complete dinner/dance.

I have a bit of a pet peve... always when I have cruised (even on Carnival) there has been a proper place setting in the dining room. Please tell me that HAL still sees the value in this? On my most recent cruise, however, the place settings were 'skimpy' & I had to ask for a new fork between courses. :confused: It may have been an anomoly but I looked at several tables & all seemed to be set improperly. It was certainly a first & with recent cut backs made me wonder - and while it will not stop me from cruising any line, I really hope I will not have to ask on HAL.

Our Alaska Oosterdam cruise service was the worst I have ever had. The whole room vibrated every night. No cherries with the baked alaska. To many things to list. The one think that got their attention was then I got up and poured water for our table of 4. It is not that we didnt ask for the water.

This was on our 1st HAL cruise after the tipping had changed. I dont know if that had something to do with the service.

Bigbenboys

On a recent Carnival cruise there was only the amount of silverware needed for the meal. If additional silverware was needed it was brought by the waiter or their assistant.

A sign of the times I would guess. We will see if it is the same on HA in October.

Archived