Tipping Baggage Handlers at Embarkation

Hi All,

Travelling on the Explorer out of Bayonne.

I understand we park the car and bring our luggage to the terminal...at that point should we let the baggage handlers take it, or do we bring it inside. I cannot remember how things flowed at Bayonne...I only remember struggling to get our luggage from the parking lot over to the terminal.

Is $2 per bag still the "fair" tip for the handlers?

Thanks...sweating the little details now!

While I'm not familiar with that port, what we will do is DH drops me and the luggage off at the sidewalk and I wait for the porter. That way we don't have to schlep the luggage across the parking lot. There are times when porters are available right there, so we just turn the bags over curb side and then go park the car.

Your $2 per bag is generous.

I thought I had read somewhere (Miami port??) that the porters shouldn't be tipped since there are signs that states so when u are checking in.

Am I mistaken here?

I know tipping is an individual choice but just wanted to clarify the details before we go.

I thought I had read somewhere (Miami port??) that the porters shouldn't be tipped since there are signs that states so when u are checking in.

Am I mistaken here?

I know tipping is an individual choice but just wanted to clarify the details before we go.

Yes, I recall that as well. I think you should call the port and ask what the arrangement is first. I'm not sure if all ports are different - I know that some use Longshoremen that make a comfortable salary and there are signs that either discourage tipping or give disclosure that it isn't expected or necessary.

I will call Port Canaveral before i go. I consider it proper research for my trip to find out what the rules are regarding it.:) I'm carrying my own bags (at least that's the grand plan!:p) so not sure if I'll need them but it will be good to know...

Yes, I recall that as well. I think you should call the port and ask what the arrangement is first. I'm not sure if all ports are different - I know that some use Longshoremen that make a comfortable salary and there are signs that either discourage tipping or give disclosure that it isn't expected or necessary.

I will call Port Canaveral before i go. I consider it proper research for my trip to find out what the rules are regarding it.:) I'm carrying my own bags (at least that's the grand plan!:p) so not sure if I'll need them but it will be good to know...

Actually just found a couple of threads worth -debating this & it does fall under tipping. :rolleyes: rut roh....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1028648&highlight=tipping+porters

Am I mistaken here?

We have sailed out of Miami many, many times and I've never noticed any no-tipping signs. We always tip $1 to $2 per bag, and more for a porter who helps with DH and his wheelchair.

We sailed out of Port Canaveral just last month, and there was a sign posted stating, "Porters are salaried - tipping not necessary." Of course, the sign was posted around the corner from where we dropped off our bags, so we didn't see the sign until after tipping.

The porter walked up to us with luggage tags and a handful of bills in his hand, a $10 bill on top. Definitely not a subtle hint that he expected a tip, regardless of what the signs say!

I'm not paranoid but I always get the feeling that if I want the bags to arrive in my cabin I better tip the porter - maybe just my insecurity coming out . . . but I do feel like I'm paying protection money for my bags!!! I think I've watched too many Soprano reruns.

I'm not paranoid but I always get the feeling that if I want the bags to arrive in my cabin I better tip the porter - maybe just my insecurity coming out . . . but I do feel like I'm paying protection money for my bags!!! I think I've watched too many Soprano reruns.

:):):)

We feel that way too

I totally agree with you. We sail from Pt Canaveral most of the time and although I have heard the sign is there, I haven't seen it and I know the guys there are waiting with their hand out for a tip.

In Miami, sign or no sign, there is NO WAY I would tip less than $2 a bag. The baggage people there are nasty and get into your face if you don't tip enough. I am just a chicken, don't want to lose my luggage, lol.

Hi All,

Travelling on the Explorer out of Bayonne.

I understand we park the car and bring our luggage to the terminal...at that point should we let the baggage handlers take it, or do we bring it inside. I cannot remember how things flowed at Bayonne...I only remember struggling to get our luggage from the parking lot over to the terminal.

Is $2 per bag still the "fair" tip for the handlers?

Thanks...sweating the little details now!

I just got my cruise packet for our Jewel cruise to New England, and it said we should tip $1 per bag except in New York--there it should be $2 per bag. Guess I never noticed it actually spelled out before.

(I know - different cruise line; but same port rules, I suppose.)

Kathy

On our last three cruises I tipped very generously, and miraculously, our bags were delivered to our cabin by 2 p.m. In fact, when we got to the terminal in Bayonne last summer, after I handed over my tip, the person taking our bags made a note on his clipboard. Coincidence? I think not....;)

Karen

On our last three cruises I tipped very generously, and miraculously, our bags were delivered to our cabin by 2 p.m. In fact, when we got to the terminal in Bayonne last summer, after I handed over my tip, the person taking our bags made a note on his clipboard. Coincidence? I think not....;)

Karen

Sorry to burst your bubble but the porter has nothing to do with you getting your bags by 2PM. The porters get your luggage on a conveyor to the ship and the ships staff take it off . It was a coincidence.

I saw several signs in Port Canaveral where the shuttle dropped us off. The porter that took our bags also had a hand full of bills. In case that wasn't obvious enough, he was telling everyone; "If you would like to give a donation, I'm the guy to give it to." A donation? Really?

In Miami, sign or no sign, there is NO WAY I would tip less than $2 a bag. The baggage people there are nasty and get into your face if you don't tip enough.

I'm sorry you feel that way; perhaps you got one of the aggressive porters, but both times out of Miami, our porters were professional and courteous. The first time we went, after gving the bags over and tipping him, I said, "God bless you." and he said, "Thank you, Ma'am; I need it today!" It was just a pleasant exchange, is all.

I often think it's how you approach them, the smile (or not!) on your face, what have you, that can make the difference.

Archived