Dam Dollars and Tea

mattR

What type of rewards do you get with Dam Dollars?

Do they have afternoon tea on most every day or just once or twice per cruise?

They had t-shirts,water bottles,duffle bags,and towels for the Dam Dollars. I can't recall how many dollars each item's worth.

As for tea, it's held every afternoon for one hour. It was always at 3:00 p.m. on the ships that I've sailed on. I love going to tea every day to wind down after a day in port or to enjoy the ocean on a sea day. We also had Dutch high tea and Indonesian tea.

What ship are you sailing on??

I will try to post a picture of the Indonesian tea,but bear with me!!

DSCF0799.jpg.3aa2f64d5f79d80319746cbada1f2448.jpg

OK, What are DAM dollars and how do you get/earn them??
They're play money that you get for particpating in various events, often (but not exclusively) sports-type activities. Two to five times a day these activities will be flagged in the Daily Program. Examples are:

Basketball free throw contest

ring toss

golf chipping

Latin dance class

pool games

volleyball

putting

ping pong

frisbee

tennis serve

scavenger hunt

sometimes 1 DD just for taking part in a trivia game

Once, for winning a trivia game, we were given a choice of a small model ship or Dam Dollars. We took the dollars ... about 5 each, IIRC.

The value of the dam dollars depends on several things. (1) the length of the cruise (2) the amount of dam dollars that have been given out on a particular cruise. The longer the cruise, the less the value of the dam dollars and the more that are given out in prizes, the less the value. I suspect that the event staff have a certain goal for how much they can give away on a particular cruise. Also, not all cruises we have been on have had them.

Harlan

The value of the dam dollars depends on several things. (1) the length of the cruise (2) the amount of dam dollars that have been given out on a particular cruise. The longer the cruise, the less the value of the dam dollars and the more that are given out in prizes, the less the value. I suspect that the event staff have a certain goal for how much they can give away on a particular cruise. Also, not all cruises we have been on have had them.

Harlan

Do Caribbean cruises have them, generally?

Also, not all cruises we have been on have had them.
Do Caribbean cruises have them, generally?
Yes. I don't remember about our '02 cruise, but since then the only HAL cruise where we didn't have them was a 3-night/2 port-day shortie on the Eurodam. That cruise was unusual in several respects.

The special teas--Dutch, Indonesian, Viennese etc. are held in the dining room in the afternoon (check your daily program). Indonesian--waiters are dressed in the native dress, some Indonesian goodies/some reg. goodies, tasty Indonesian tea choices, and Indonesian music in background. Dutch, High and Viennese--goodies are set up on a long table including cakes, sandwiches, pastries etc. Not too miss (c'mon men!!)

They're play money that you get for particpating in various events, often (but not exclusively) sports-type activities. Two to five times a day these activities will be flagged in the Daily Program. Examples are:

Basketball free throw contest

ring toss

golf chipping

Latin dance class

pool games

volleyball

putting

ping pong

frisbee

tennis serve

scavenger hunt

sometimes 1 DD just for taking part in a trivia game

Once, for winning a trivia game, we were given a choice of a small model ship or Dam Dollars. We took the dollars ... about 5 each, IIRC.

Thanks jtl for the explanation and examples. If they ae mostly sports involved I'll not get any. As for trivia, ain't no way in Hades I could ever hope to win. Oh well, nice to know though!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks jtl for the explanation and examples. If they ae mostly sports involved I'll not get any. As for trivia, ain't no way in Hades I could ever hope to win. Oh well, nice to know though!!!:rolleyes:

Joanie

We have done many Dam Dollars games.

As a rule -- for the games -- if you show up AND just give even a stupid try -- you get a dam dollar -- the winners get more.

We have been to some of the games when dam dollars were given out for people who showed up and did absolutely nothing!!

You can toss the ball from your scooter in any direction -- you participated -- you get a dam dollar.

Go for it!!

You may not know alot of triva, however the people at the table with you may. The whole table wins. DH and I are not much on triva; however we had enough DAM dollars for

1 coffee mug

1 towel

1 8X10 picture frame

and other small stuff (I can't remeber what else)

Not all dollars were from triva, quite a few were from doing a mile walk around the deck with the trainers, shuffle board, ring toss and name that tune.

Enjoy your trip

You may not know alot of triva, however the people at the table with you may. The whole table wins. DH and I are not much on triva; however we had enough DAM dollars for

1 coffee mug

1 towel

1 8X10 picture frame

and other small stuff (I can't remeber what else)

Not all dollars were from triva, quite a few were from doing a mile walk around the deck with the trainers, shuffle board, ring toss and name that tune.

Enjoy your trip

Thanks everyone! IF the Westerdam offers the DAM Dollars in February I may have a chance to win something:)

Archived