What made you miss your Carnival Roll Call Meet and Greet?

ManyMore

Lots of us join the roll calls for our ship and cruise but often never make it there and never meet anyone they made friends with prior to the cruise. I really hope we have a good number show up for ours so I thought.... let's see what causes most to miss it so we can try and avoid as much of that as possible. What made you miss yours?

Lots of us join the roll calls for our ship and cruise but often never make it there and never meet anyone they made friends with prior to the cruise. I really hope we have a good number show up for ours so I thought.... let's see what causes most to miss it so we can try and avoid as much of that as possible. What made you miss yours?

We missed ours on our Feb Conquest cruise because the arrangements were too vague. I went to the side of the bar on the Lido deck as instructed, but could not tell who if any were there for the meet and greet.

I'm very chatty on the boards.. kinda of on shy side when I first meet someone.. although that doesn't stop the chatty part.

My DH thinks the whole internet meeting people is weird. He's gotten a little better because he found some of the VIPers from CC group cruise to be actually on the normal side.

We made our last one, but frequently we don't go. I think the reason we made the last one was because it was held in the morning during the cruise. Lots of senior officers attended: Hotel Director, Cruise Director, Food & Beverage Director, etc. It was also catered with juice and cookies.

At another one, the Cruise Director was the only ship staff there, and he arranged for a second meet and greet in the evening, when we were treated like VIPs with live music, dancing, drinks and hors d'ouvres.

If the group wants to meet on deck at sailaway, or anytime on the day of departure, that usually is not appealing to me. I am too wound up and just enjoying the experience, and am not in the mood to socialize with people I don't really know.

If the group wants to meet on deck at sailaway, or anytime on the day of departure, that usually is not appealing to me. I am too wound up and just enjoying the experience, and am not in the mood to socialize with people I don't really know.

Good point - and mainly why I have missed the last 2.

The last M&G that I did attend - was on RC Mariner OTS - and it wasn't very friendly.

I would say on Carnival though, the timing is probrably a big part of the success!!!

We've only missed one in our five cruises. The goal was for all of us to meet on the lido deck, near the pool, with the CC'ers wearing red caps/leis. After asking about four people if they were from CC and they weren't, I got shy and gave up.

I organized a very well attended M&G in June. I believe everyone came, at least for a while.

These are the things that I think may have made it successful:

1. It was scheduled for the second day, (a sea day) after lunch.

2. I arranged for a dedicated room (one of the lounges) for us, so there could be no confusion about where/when to meet. We had a bartender, and set up the room so that people could socialize. I advertised this frequently on our roll call.

3. We had a couple of things open for people to participate or not, as they wished: a Yankee swap and a cabin crawl after the M&G. Some people participated in one, some in both, some in neither, but it was something specific they wanted to do.

4. I made a roster of cabin numbers, and delivered, the night before, a reminder of where and when the meet and greet was.

I am currently planning to set up the M&G for my next cruise, and I will follow all of the guidelines above. I hope it works a second time around!

I planned on going to my last one in may but the friend I took with me is anti social and didn't want to meet people she didn't know...so we sat in our room and didn't go >:-(

I would have left her in the room by herself! I will never miss a M&G!

The last one we had was the best. We had someone willing to set it up through the ship and we all paid $22 each. She collected the money from all of us and we had one of the lounges for about 2 hours which included all the snacks we could eat and all the drinks we could drink. We had a roll call and I think we all showed up; we had the best time! The bartenders worked very hard -- no time to talk to us...

We've had some good ones, but that was the best...am I right, Mike, Pound Cake, Denise, etc.?

I have set up many different Meet and Greets.

I have had the most success with getting people to wear Mard-Gras beads during debarkation and the rest of the first day. This has helped people identify each other.

Then I set up three different Meet and Greets. The first one is by the aft pool during Sail-Away, the second one is around 11 AM in the piano bar during Day 2, and the third one is in the piano bar on the evening of day 2 after the first show and before the second show (around 9 PM).

I used to have pretty good success getting people to show up for at least one of the Meet and Greets but on our last few cruises, nobody has showed up to any of them. On our last cruise out of New Orleans, I couldn't even get people to wear Mardi-Gras beads. Go figure.

I don't get it. It makes me not want to mess with putting Meet and Greets together.

Mark

Haven't missed one yet...

... I will never miss a M&G!

Right there with you guys!

We have been to a couple of dozen... have not missed one yet, and don't intend to. It would have to be a MAJOR situation for a T-n-C "No-Show"!

Tom

We didn't make our last M&G because the person that set up the meeting set it up at 5pm on the day we set sail. We were too busy watching the ship set sail and completely forgot about it.

:cool:Bill

My reason also. I think a Meet'n'Greet on sail day is ridiculous, unless later on after the ship is at sea maybe. Many paxs are beat on the first day, then have to crowd a M&G into exploring the ship, eating something from the buffet, getting a few drinks, unpacking, and sailaway. Too hectic I think.

A very successful one I enjoyed, met the FIRST SEA DAY at 10:00am on the Aft Lido Deck of the PRIDE near the starboard stairway. Many showed up, rested from the previous hectic day, could bring food from the buffet right through the doorway for a late breakfast, could get a drink at the bar, jump in the adult pool or jacuzzi, or just enjoy the open sea while waiting for everyone to show.

If you go to the ROLL CALL, one can also get an idea if you even want to meet these people (or if they want to meet you :rolleyes:). I'm not a teatotaler, but tend to get a little turned off by people who have spent the last 6 months going on and on about how drunk they're going to be for 7 days ! ! :eek:

On my husband's first cruise (MOTS), we did not know about CC and roll calls, so we did not participate.

On our last cruise (Legend), our M&G was pretty good! There wre about 20 people who met up at the Aft Lido pool, and we all had a blast hanging out together. We ended up hanging out the rest of the cruise with six other couples, and we will be cruising with three of them in October.

Not sure how many people will be at our next M&G on Freedom (10/10). Our roll call is not all that chatty at the moment - hoping it picks up steam soon!

We had someone willing to set it up through the ship and we all paid $22 each. She collected the money from all of us and we had one of the lounges for about 2 hours which included all the snacks we could eat and all the drinks we could drink.

That sounds really good at first glance. But then I remembered that DW is not much of a drinker, and for $44 for the both of us, I doubt I could drink that much in 2 hours, even at regular bar prices. So, I'd probably pass on that idea.

We've missed a couple due to the fact they were scheduled right after the muster drill and that is sail away. Not a good time to schedule, at all. Too much other stuff going on.

We bought CC T shirts a couple of years ago not knowing they are actually billboards! You can read one from across the ship! The shirts also tend to generate some odd questions.................Like we are professional travel critics:confused::confused::confused: I don't think the pros would advertise it.

We did meet a couple on one of our sailings via the roll call and the M & G that provided extra entertainment for the entire cruise just watching them. Quite the soap opera.............

Archived