Anyone else anxiously waiting for a cabin number?

debsjc

With a little help we can pull this thread back to a more...nice...place to be.

We were in the same position, this is really a vacation we were not going to take, but the price HAL came up with we couldn't say no, then the cost to upgrade was so little we couldn't say no, we did actually think about it for almost an hour, which may be a record for us, now if only we could pretty please get a cabin number.

Wow. How necessary and friendly of you! The poster was not bemoaning the situation, just being honest. Believe it or not there are some people who can't, for whatever reason, pay for a deluxe suite. For the love of Bob, people.

Sorry you feel compelled to put your own interpretation on what I said.

[Welcome to Cruise Critic!]

A poster booked an SZ guarantee and got an SY. The poster admitted being "so disappointed" in not getting an SA/SB/SC. The poster even called HAL to see if there were still a chance to get upgraded to one of those suites! And the poster commented, "I so wanted the perks of the deluxe room. I know, it will be wonderful just to go. But still... "

My comment is that if someone "so wants" perks of a certain category, then realistically the person should book that category - thus, avoiding being "so disappointed."

And to another poster: I don't see how stating the obvious is starting a fight! :)

When my grown children sailed on HAL with us -- twice -- we booked them HH guarantees. Both times they were moved up a notch -- I think it was a G? Whatever - still obstructed view, just less obstructed!

It would have been nice had they gotten balcony cabins, but never did they expect such an upgrade, and never were they disappointed with what they got. They were grateful to get any upgrade at all.

Think about a Vista ship with about 1,800 or so passengers ... don't you think at least a few hundred of them would just love a free upgrade? I know I would ... but never have I gotten one in a dozen cruises!

We are 3 weeks from sailing and we received our cabin assignment today. I was surprised to see it so early, but I'm not complaining. Unfortunately the "Upgrade Fairy" didn't sprinkle her dust over us, but we're onboard with everyone else and that's what matters.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

We are 3 weeks from sailing and we received our cabin assignment today. I was surprised to see it so early, but I'm not complaining. Unfortunately the "Upgrade Fairy" didn't sprinkle her dust over us, but we're onboard with everyone else and that's what matters.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

You have a wonderful outlook! Have a great cruise!

Have a great cruise, so the 2-3 week window is looking pretty solid right now, that means 2-3 more weeks of checking the HAL site daily :D

Miss Wench, I have to agree, if you want a specific type of cabin book it, do not rely on the GTY to get it for you.

I don't sail until Oct 31st, so I know I'm probably a long way from a cabin assignment, but I noticed that all of a sudden yesterday, HAL closed all but the cheapest and most expensive categories. Does this mean that they're close to assigning cabins? Or is it just wishful thinking?:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Jams1,

we had an inside stateroom on the lowest public deck on Costa Fortuna and it was OK. It might be a little bit noisy if you are close to the engine, but 1803 seems to be way up to the bow. We were not on the Zaandam yet , so I cannot say whether you might hear a little bit of the waves hitting the bow, but I would guess that this is OK. You will definetely be able to hear the front thrusters working, but these are only used in port. So it should not be a real problem.

You might experience some vertical movement especially in rough seas as this stateroom is at the front end of the ship and not in the middle, but horizontal rolling will be very limited because of the low deck. In both insides we had until now the air conditioning was very good so there was no need for a fan - unless you have a problem with the noise the ac produces.

Just back, 1803 Was Great!

Did not hear waves hitting bow more than once the first night on the way up to Juneau, wished we had had a bit more movement, DH & I have always enjoyed the rolling motion, but we had very calm seas this trip.

The best was when the anchor was dropped at Sitka, its a tender port. Great massage while in bed! It vibrated the entire room. Was kinda cool.

Very quiet otherwise, no foot traffic or folks chatting in the hallway.

Front thrusters worked to let us know its time to get up.

First off at the ports, with out waiting in line, most of the time since we were so close to the gangway, when the captain said we were cleared to go ashore.

The fan helped DH to sleep since he is used to hearing one at home.

After having a balcony stateroom on 4 cruises, an inside "Closet" as DH called it was not bad, and 1/2 the price. Might do it more often.

Folks remember to keep checking your baggage tags on the HAL web site, for your cabin assignment, that's how we found out.:D

:D We always book a guarantee room that we will be very happy with...and then just wait...part of the excitement of our cruise experience.

We are off thru the canal on Sept. 30th...got our room today...upgraded from a VC guarantee to a SS room!! What a surprise... it will be extra special as our parents...86 and 88 years young also were upgraded. We do spend time in our room and this extra space will be great. But we would have been really happy with a VC balcony...just to be on the ship is a blessing in itself!!

Happy cruising to all. :)

Just a quick note to anyone with a guarantee. I usually check the different sites to check for price changes. We have an SC guarantee booked for March. When I checked today, the SA suites were selling for the same price, so I took a chance and e-mailed my TA to see if we qualify--and we DID. I'm so excited to be going in an SA. He had to book it as a guarantee also...so if the upgrade fairy decides to pay a visit:Dcan you imagine where we'll be?

We usually find out only a few days before sailing... hard to imagine since friends who sail with other lines find out months in advance!

Statendam Panama Canal Oct 09

Eurodam Innaugural 20 days Baltic summer 08

Oosterdam Alaska summer 07

Noordam (thebest so far) Eastern Med Summer 06

I waited and hoped......got my number yesterday......but, alas, no upgrade for me!! Not sure why I was hoping for a window....maybe it was 67 days!! Oh well.....I will be happy with what I have....VERY happy because I am going on a fantastic trip and will meet wonderful people and see amazing places!! How can I NOT be happy!! :D:D

(but a girl can hope can't she???) :confused:

Have a wonderful trip. How can you not? Will cross my fingers that you get a surprise upgrade at the pier.:D

Thank you! It seems I have read that it sometimes happens that you get an upgrade even after you have received your room assignment. Is this true? Has it happened to you? Oh.....for the dream of a window!! Still....happy where I am!!

I have read postings from other guests about being upgraded at the pier. It has not happened to us though. You are going on our dream cruise. This is the cruise we are looking forward to booking when my DH retires-hopefully in 3 years. For now, we are doing shorter cruises but enjoying every one of them!

A poster booked an SZ guarantee and got an SY. The poster admitted being "so disappointed" in not getting an SA/SB/SC. The poster even called HAL to see if there were still a chance to get upgraded to one of those suites! And the poster commented, "I so wanted the perks of the deluxe room. I know, it will be wonderful just to go. But still... "

My comment is that if someone "so wants" perks of a certain category, then realistically the person should book that category - thus, avoiding being "so disappointed."

Oceanwench makes an excellent point. And sometimes it's tough for those of us who book Deluxe Verandah Suites right off the bat (always at premium prices!) to hear HAL giving them away... I accept that it does happen and that's okay - but to have the expectation that it would or should happen is wrong, in my opinion.

The ONLY way to avoid disappointment is book the very LEAST you are willing to accept. :)

We rarely book GTY anymore, precisely for this reason. :)

I am not disappointed....I am happy just to be on the cruise.....and I made the decision when I paid what I would be happy with. I got what I paid for....and that is a WONDERFUL trip!

This was not directed at you. Another poster was "so disappointed" that she booked an SZ guarantee and was only upgraded to an SS and not a full suite. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

This was not directed at you. Another poster was "so disappointed" that she booked an SZ guarantee and was only upgraded to an SS and not a full suite. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No problem.....just didn't want to me misinterpreted.

Even though not disappointed.....I couldn't help but hope!!

No problem.....just didn't want to me misinterpreted.

Even though not disappointed.....I couldn't help but hope!!

Hope is good. :)

And you never know what might happen at the pier... :) My Mom & Dad had two pier upgrades before they finally had to stop cruising.

Enjoy.

Archived