Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Please to help, we have 6 hours in Fort Lauderdale, before our flight, don't want to take a tour, we don't want to rent a car non U.S. people. We will have two small carry ons and one backpack. Is there somewhere near the dock we could store these cases? If not we thought we might walk to the nearby airport, Is this possible? Thought we might stop along the way for a bite to eat around lunch time, Any place that is special along the way? Thanks

Please to help, we have 6 hours in Fort Lauderdale, before our flight, don't want to take a tour, we don't want to rent a car non U.S. people. We will have two small carry ons and one backpack. Is there somewhere near the dock we could store these cases? If not we thought we might walk to the nearby airport, Is this possible? Thought we might stop along the way for a bite to eat around lunch time, Any place that is special along the way? Thanks

There are no luggage storage facilities in Port Everglades that I am aware of. I'm also not aware of any routes between the port and airport that have sidewalks the whole way, though there might possibly be. The route between is more like a high-speed highway with highway exits, and it might not even be legal to walk. Just take a taxi for about $15 total to the airport and get something to eat there. Alternatively, you could take a taxi for about $10 to SE 17th St (or walk 0.3 to 2 miles, depending on which terminal), eat at one of the many restaurants there, walk to US1 (about a mile), and take the #1 bus south to the airport.

Dearest all-seeing and all-knowing royalcruz,

I DID search the thread for this information, but did not see it.

I am going to rent a car at Thrifty in Port Everglades. Do they pick up at the port, or will I have to take a taxi from the ship to the Thrifty location at 2400 Miami Road?

Heartfelt thanks for your maintenance of this helpful thread!!!!!

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to find hotel discounts in Fort Lauderdale for our December cruise. I'm finding hotels list at $240+ a night! We are getting 2 rooms, so I don't want to pay a fortune, but don't want to stay at a dump either.

People have been posting $119 for Hyatt Place tower rooms... but can't find anything close to that price.

Although I've never used Priceline, I thought I'd give it a try and see if I could get any bited about $110/per room.

Any suggestions??

Dearest all-seeing and all-knowing royalcruz,

I DID search the thread for this information, but did not see it.

I am going to rent a car at Thrifty in Port Everglades. Do they pick up at the port, or will I have to take a taxi from the ship to the Thrifty location at 2400 Miami Road?

Heartfelt thanks for your maintenance of this helpful thread!!!!!

I've seen a shuttle van for Thrifty in the port but not sure of which location it goes to. The local phone number for the Miami Rd location is (954) 463-2958.

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to find hotel discounts in Fort Lauderdale for our December cruise. I'm finding hotels list at $240+ a night! We are getting 2 rooms, so I don't want to pay a fortune, but don't want to stay at a dump either.

People have been posting $119 for Hyatt Place tower rooms... but can't find anything close to that price.

Although I've never used Priceline, I thought I'd give it a try and see if I could get any bited about $110/per room.

Any suggestions??

Hyatt Place doesn't have a tower. Perhaps these tower rooms are at Hyatt Pier 66. You should be able to get a room at Hyatt Place for $129 on ValueTrips in December. If you use Priceline, I suggest bidding on hotels in the downtown zone if you want to be by the port or on Las Olas. You can't go wrong with any of these hotels; even the 2* Extended Stay is fine. If you want to give the airport zone a try, only bid 3* and up and you should be ok. Bidding on the beach zone hotels can be risky, as some are not exactly at the beach, and some are going to cost you $70 round trip in taxi fare. If all else fails, you should be able to get a room at Sleep Inn Dania within your budget...it's fine but you might be able to do better.

Well, you are in luck. I just reread your post from yesterday asking about Hyatt Place. When you said that you couldn't find a deal there and could only find one on 17th St, I thought you stayed at the one south of the airport, but the one near 17th St is the same one you stayed at last time! They just don't call it Hyatt Place North anymore. It's the one near Waxy O' Connors Irish pub (on SE 17th St)!

Excellent! I can stroll over there for a pint! :D

We're flying in and out of Miami airport for our B2B cruise on the Allure Mar 16-30 2014.

• How much is a taxi from the port to the airport?
  • Do we need to pre-arrange a taxi or can we just hail one there?
  • Are there minivan taxi's there? We're 4 people with luggage!
  • How long is the drive from the port to the airport?
  • Our flight only leaves around 4pm from Miami airport, how long can we linger on the ship until they get upset with us?
  • I am having a hard time finding anything that isn't under $250 a night for 2 doubles in and around FT Lauderdale on Mar 15 for 1 night. We are trying to stay in a decent hotel (like Pier 66 or Hyatt 17th) Is this normal??

Edited by Gumbey

Be aware that the security lines at Ft. Lauderdale airport can be insanely long on days when ships are in port. You should plan on getting there 3 hours before your flight of you are flying internationally.

Bags to Go at the airport will store your bags for you for $6 per bag ( http://bagstogo.net/baggage_storage.php ).

After dropping your bags you can take the Sun Trolley into town ( http://www.broward.org/Airport/Transportation/Pages/SunTrolley.aspx )

Although I've used Priceline, we have good luck using Hotwire for hotels in Ft. Lauderdale. It is an opaque site, but fairly easy to figure out which hotel you will likely get if you look at one of the sites, like Bidding for Travel, where people post hotels they got, by matching up amenities, etc.

It does depend on when you are traveling, of course. Some weeks are much higher than others.

Not sure if this is a good place for this question. We are flying into MCO and are renting a car , staying in orlando near downtown disney for two days prior cruise. Are there any tolls we have to pay for on the road from MCO to that area in Lake Buena Vista? Just want to be prepared.

Thanks for any info.

~Steph

Although I've used Priceline, we have good luck using Hotwire for hotels in Ft. Lauderdale. It is an opaque site, but fairly easy to figure out which hotel you will likely get if you look at one of the sites, like Bidding for Travel, where people post hotels they got, by matching up amenities, etc.

It does depend on when you are traveling, of course. Some weeks are much higher than others.

I'm going on the Oasis on 2/14 and fly in a day early. A couple of years ago I got a hotel that picked up at the airport and took me to pier the next day for free. I was a mystery hotel.

Does anyone know of any deals like this that are out there? Is there a thread devoted to this subject? Appreciate yall's help.

George

Hyatt Place doesn't have a tower. Perhaps these tower rooms are at Hyatt Pier 66. You should be able to get a room at Hyatt Place for $129 on ValueTrips in December. If you use Priceline, I suggest bidding on hotels in the downtown zone if you want to be by the port or on Las Olas. You can't go wrong with any of these hotels; even the 2* Extended Stay is fine. If you want to give the airport zone a try, only bid 3* and up and you should be ok. Bidding on the beach zone hotels can be risky, as some are not exactly at the beach, and some are going to cost you $70 round trip in taxi fare. If all else fails, you should be able to get a room at Sleep Inn Dania within your budget...it's fine but you might be able to do better.

You're right...the tower rooms are Hyatt Pier 66, which is a nice hotel, but we can't touch the rooms there at a decent price. Thanks for the tip on location using priceline -- I wouldn't have known about the beach zone. We definitely don't want to pay $70 in taxi fare. I want 4 star at a 2 star price! LOL

You're right...the tower rooms are Hyatt Pier 66, which is a nice hotel, but we can't touch the rooms there at a decent price. Thanks for the tip on location using priceline -- I wouldn't have known about the beach zone. We definitely don't want to pay $70 in taxi fare. I want 4 star at a 2 star price! LOL

You might search for Hyatt Stay Certificates online. I was able to purchase the stay certificates for $115 per night and they took them at both of the Hyatt Place hotels in FLL. The prices on e certificates vary based on the class of room, so you'll need to do some research, but if you can find the certificate code online, you can make the reservations then purchase the certificates after you know what you need.

I am looking for a "clean" hotel/motel that offers complimentary breakfast and shuttle to airport, from Port, and to/from Sun Trolley station with a price tag of $100 ± 20%.

If not all shuttle services available, please advise the one(s) with most.

Thanks!

I am looking for a "clean" hotel/motel that offers complimentary breakfast and shuttle to airport, from Port, and to/from Sun Trolley station with a price tag of $100 ± 20%.

If not all shuttle services available, please advise the one(s) with most.

Thanks!

I am a big fan on the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th St. Convention Center. Walk to the Sun Trolley and Harbour Shops; free Airport shuttle and a $7pp Cruise Port shuttle. Free hot breakfast, beer at night, 24hrs free WiFi and $5/nt parking. The rooms are very clean and rather large.

Last two times I've stayed there has been for $95 total after taxes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Hi Lady bird!!

We are staying at the Alhambra as well!! I would love if you could give me a review when you come back from your vacation...I posted on this thread a page back and Royalcruz gave suggestions to my questions! Have fun!

We stayed at the Alhambra Beach Resort for two nights 8/16 & 8/17. We enjoyed our stay. It was just a short walk to the beach. They have chairs, umbrellas and towels you can borrow to take to the beach, at no charge. The hotel was very quiet. The owners are meticulous. The hotel is immaculate.

There are restaurants within walking distance. The closest is Casablanca Café, which we didn't care for. The service was extremely slow. We had to ask for our drinks three times, they didn't leave off the onion on my father's burger as requested (he's allergic to onions) and they never brought the side of mayo my mother requested for her burger. The food itself was just ok, but pricey. We preferred The Quarterdeck just a few blocks away. Service there was great and the food was very good. The hotel offers coffee, orange juice, milk, bagels, cereal and prepackaged baked goods for breakfast.

I would definitely stay there again.

I am a big fan on the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th St. Convention Center. Walk to the Sun Trolley and Harbour Shops; free Airport shuttle and a $7pp Cruise Port shuttle. Free hot breakfast, beer at night, 24hrs free WiFi and $5/nt parking. The rooms are very clean and rather large.

Last two times I've stayed there has been for $95 total after taxes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

2 double beds there for Mar 15 arrival 1 night is $269 plus taxes. w0w

I've been looking for a month for a decent hotel for a decent price. Priceline offered the Holiday Inn 2905 Sheridan st Hollywood for $117/night on Feb 1st. I snapped up two rooms and I think I'm happy with the outcome. Can anyone tell me the area food/grocery/liquor stores? Reviews are good, 3 stars. We usually stay in the Stirling Rd area. Is Sheridan close? Thanks for all the info.