Freebies from Travel Agents?

Cruizer Bill

In this age of discount cruise fares, do travel agents offer "freebies" any more? Specifically, if we book an Oceanview room at the discount fare you see about 90 days before sailing, can we ask for a dinner at the Pinnalce Grill (for 2), or are freebies only offered to Verandah and Suite customers nowadays?

Thanks....Bill

No freebies for me......I barely got my CRUISE!!!! :mad:

Uh Karen, You are SO WRONG my friend!!! You have gained a few hundred GROUPIES!!!!!:D So you got more than a Great Cruise, you have people all over the world who will be following your every move. AIN'T That a Great bonus/freebie??:cool::D

It would be up to the individual TA as to any gifts/freebies. Our TA was nice enough to arrange for chocolate covered strawberries in our cabin at arrival.

So, I think it is an individual thing with the TA. Not at all dependent on the cabin category that you book.

We get a $100 onboard credit, a photo voucher, a bottle of champagne and a worthless coupon book (worth up to $350!) with our upcoming cruise. I do not know or care whether the freebies are from the online agency or the cruise line. You might want to shop around. It costs nothing but your time to check the prices and offerings of the online agencies.

It costs nothing but your time to check the prices and offerings of the online agencies.

It nearly cost Kween Karen her cruise. There's more to selecting an agent than what freebies they offer, and the lowest price. I'd think that Kween Karen's experience should be a cautionary tale told and re-told regularly, to remind people that they need to be extra-vigilant in the choice of agent to whom they entrust their vacation and their money.

It nearly cost Kween Karen her cruise. There's more to selecting an agent than what freebies they offer, and the lowest price. I'd think that Kween Karen's experience should be a cautionary tale told and re-told regularly, to remind people that they need to be extra-vigilant in the choice of agent to whom they entrust their vacation and their money.

AMEN CowPrincess!!!!!/I cannot remember the thread (nor find it via the CC search) so I found the part of Kween-Karen's Blog that speaks of the horrors she went through. Go to this link to read and ALSO contact her, she will tell you what can happen first hand: http://dreamcruise.kweenkaren.com/146-8 weeks to go.pdf

I lucked out and gained a great travel agent a little while back.

While this upcoming cruise I'm getting a "free coupon book":rolleyes:, I consider what she have done for me on my other cruises far more important.

My travel agent have work to get me great upgrades, obc, and great price reductions. I consider this more value than some freebies.

Enjoy your cruise!!

----------------

Now playing: Fourplay - Any Time Of The Day

via FoxyTunes

Interesting thread. We have a different attitude when it comes to booking cruises...and in most years we do book more than 60 days on ships. We have developed our personal "short list" which currently has 6 travel agents (all internet agencies) on our favored list. When we decide to book a cruise we generally know which ship and category. At that point we contact all of our TAs (usually on-line) and book with whoever gives us the best deal. In some cases, the price differences plus amenities amounts to thousands of dollars difference. For us, it is no different when we buy a car of make any other major purchase. We look for quality service (all the agencies on our short list are fine in that regard) and the best prices. I should add that we also check the price on the cruise line's own site (we have been on 11 cruise lines) but have yet to have any cruise line match some of the TAs.

Hank

IMHO the best "perk" you can get from your TA is great service. If you've got a TA that gives you that, be thankful :)
Right on! The only time we've gotten anything was from the FCC onboard who dropped in some nice things. But that was one time.

My TA enclosed her leftover cocktail and soda cards from her last HAL cruise when she sent my docs...

...That's gotta be worth a fair spot of change!

:)

I was given 2 soda cards after my Ryndam cruise last year, do you know if I should bother taking them on the Zaandam. Hate to see them go to waste........

I was given 2 soda cards after my Ryndam cruise last year, do you know if I should bother taking them on the Zaandam. Hate to see them go to waste........

I would say so - Those things don't expire to my knowledge!

On our first sailing we booked through the online agency that has a name that rhymes with media...and we got the Pinnacle Grill for free, but we've used a different online agency since and have gotten nothing (but our bookings always include amounts of OBC). We have yet to find a "land-based" travel agent that can meet or exceed online prices.

As far as the soda,wine and drink cards go no they do not expire at this time but soon HAL is going to go electronic and then they will expire as they will tied to your room key. Just a fair warning this plan is in the works. No time line given yet. Colakid.

Archived