ATM's at Heathrow?

jonj

We are arriving into Terminal 5 at Heathrow. We have a private car transfer and would like to know if there is a Barclay's Bank ATM in the airport or any ATM. Barclay's is affiliated with out bank in the U.S. and we would not be charged extra fees for using it. I have been reading articles that a lot of airports have switches to the Travelex machines which are exchange bureaus and I stay far away from them due to the poor exchange rate.

Trying to figure out if I should get some Pounds from our home bank before leaving or waiting until I arrive.

Thank you

I like to to take some amount of the local currency from home, just in case our ATM cards don't work. It seems the banks these days are very sensitive to fraud and turn off cards for the slightest suspicion.

Also, if you don't get an answer here on the ATM brand in the airport, try the port of call forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Trying to figure out if I should get some Pounds from our home bank before leaving or waiting until I arrive.

The latter (plenty of ATMs in the airport), but ensure you tell your bank you are going to avoid any issues.

Thank you. We have been reading the following and was trying to get confirmation. As I see both Travelex and Cash machines (two separate items on the Heathrow website terminal map)

"All cash machines at Heathrow are now operated by Travelex"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't know what bank the ATM was for, but, there were several (and one that worked for my bank) at the airport.

We did what Bob suggested...we had some currency with us...I also like to have some pocket money just ib case.

There are no Barclay's ATMs in Heathrow (I pass through Heathrow at least 4-5 times per year and also use Barclay's). You don't need cash straight out of the gate in London if you aren't going on the Underground (and even then, you can use your American credit card by buying from an agent rather than the machines, which never seem to work with US cards). If you tell me the area where you're staying, I can probably tell you where the easiest ATM is.

There are no Barclay's ATMs in Heathrow (I pass through Heathrow at least 4-5 times per year and also use Barclay's). You don't need cash straight out of the gate in London if you aren't going on the Underground (and even then, you can use your American credit card by buying from an agent rather than the machines, which never seem to work with US cards). If you tell me the area where you're staying, I can probably tell you where the easiest ATM is.

OH! and definitely don't get Sterling in advance. It's a bigger rip-off than using the travelex machines.

I hope you have better luck with Barclay's UK than I did prior to our British Isles cruise. Yes, I have two Barclay's cards, a VISA and a MC. My US bank "forgives" 6 foreign ATM card transactions per month and all of my travel related CC's do not charge any foreign transaction fee. I walked into Barclay's in Bournemouth and was directed by a customer service rep to use the lobby ATM to withdraw GPB and then go to the walk up teller to exchange for Euro's. What? No bank ATM that gives Euro's on this coastal community? Well, I did as directed, and once I reached the teller, [long, slow line] was snottily told, "You are not a UK Barclay's account holder and we do not change money for non-bank depositors." Livid, I went back outside and told my friend who lives in Bournemouth what happened. My friend has an account at Barclay's and took my 300GPB and walked into the bank and approached the same teller - "Exchange this for Euro's at your best exchange rate." The teller was very polite and completed the transaction, no fees. As she was counting out the Euro's I popped up behind my friend and smiled at the teller who immediately recognized me. "Some times, you got to do what you got to do!"

Later found a web site by MC that searches for ATM's throughout the world and have identified those that dispense the currency I need. I should have gone to Waitrose and accessed a multi-currency machine there.

Yes, I still have those Barclay's cards, Jet Blue points and chip & pin for foreign kiosks.

Darcy

Why would you expect to be able to get Euro out of a UK bank ATM ?

I have found ATM's that give Euro's; most are near port communities, catering to those going to and from Europe via ferry or small planes...Southampton, Dover, Lymington, and of course the travelex ATM's at LHR.. Waitrose in Bournemouth, has multi currency ATM's. If a supermarket offers this, why not a major bank?

Darcy

FYI - there are several ATMs on London Underground stations which dispense Euros as well as Sterling. I do not know how good their exchange rate is (I suspect not brilliant).

We have a private driver we need to pay.
As I mentioned in your other thread, it's likely that the driver would be happy to stop en route to let you draw cash from a machine. Taxis and minicab drivers are well used to doing this as a matter of routine.

Here is the problem one should be aware of. If you use say US dollars in London whether they be ATM's or money changes to draw out euro, first they convert the USD to GBP using their inflated poor rate and then they use their inflated poor rate to convert the GBP to EUR. In other words, you lose twice. Now if it's a small amount, you can argue the convenience is worth the loss but that's something for you to decide.

If the car is pre paid you don't need any cash before you get to your hotel. If you need to pay the driver in cash, then do as already said, get him to stop en route. There are lots of branches of Barclays, so should be easy to find one.

Exactly my thoughts. Yes there may be the odd machine around a country that does this but it certainly is not common.

As for the bank teller not exchanging the GBP to Euro because they didn't have an account with them. That is VERY common and a USA bank will tell you the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

No ATm's they were all currency exchange. A few looked like ATM's but when I looked closely in teeny tiny letters Travelex was printed on there. Others clearly notes they were currency exchange machines .

Yes those were, there were a few others in Terminal 5 that were not as clearly marked and I went up to them to check if they were ATM's which they really looked as they were and can see people mistake them

Edited by jonj