Terrible news

Tinknock50

Alaska cruise docks have been assigned. The one week that we are on the Oosterdam, it will be anchoring in Juneau. It is being bumped from the dock by the Regatta June 6th only.

I am really upset because my friend is in a power chair and it will be very difficult to get him ashore. Jumping to another date will cost much more.

Very disappointed. :(

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Juneau-JNU-2017.pdf

I am very sorry for you that this has happened.

Many years ago we were on the Ryndam and we had to anchor in Juneau and tender in. Not because of a Regatta -- but there were just too many ships there.

Hope you can work out something for your friend in the wheel chair. I know that it is easy to get on the tender from the ship - after you have your ID card scanned, just go down to the tender area via the special elevator right in that area. The crew can wheel your friend right onto the tender. But at the pier -- that could be a problem if there is a step up to get off the tender. I don't know if they have a portable ramp to put in place.

I am very sorry for you that this has happened.

Many years ago we were on the Ryndam and we had to anchor in Juneau and tender in. Not because of a Regatta -- but there were just too many ships there.

Hope you can work out something for your friend in the wheel chair. I know that it is easy to get on the tender from the ship - after you have your ID card scanned, just go down to the tender area via the special elevator right in that area. The crew can wheel your friend right onto the tender. But at the pier -- that could be a problem if there is a step up to get off the tender. I don't know if they have a portable ramp to put in place.

I don't think you can just wheel a power chair on a tender. They weigh close to 300 lbs.

I am sorry that your friend may or may not be able to go into port at Juneau. I don't know if the pier assignment is lottery or "pay to play."

If the Oosterdam had been given the pier and the Oceania Regatta was forced to anchor and tender, someone on that ship may have been in the same position your friend is in. Luck of whatever...

Tinknock, thanks for the link but being a new cruiser not sure what the abbreviations mean. Are the listed somewhere on the main website?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is the opening page....you will see "Berth Codes"..... click on that for translation. Any 3 letter code that starts with an "A" will mean tender, with some exceptions (like Seward).

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1250

Edited by Tinknock50

I wonder if Oosterdam is more prone to getting bumped due to the a switch from Amsterdam which normally (and still) docks at the Alaska Steamship dock which is too small to handle Oosterdam and got assigned to the Cruiseship Terminal which might have had prior commitments with other lines. Not sure but I think O was a net add to the Juneau schedule.

Bummer on the wheelchair access. Even with my wife's folding manual chair it's a big hassle to tender. While HAL might be persuaded to allow a date switch, especially if original booking was on Amsterdam, at same price if there are other arrangements like air that would have to be changed that could be costly. Still I would be inclined to contact the Special Needs department at HAL and see if they can work out a solution.

I wonder if Oosterdam is more prone to getting bumped due to the a switch from Amsterdam which normally (and still) docks at the Alaska Steamship dock which is too small to handle Oosterdam and got assigned to the Cruiseship Terminal which might have had prior commitments with other lines. Not sure but I think O was a net add to the Juneau schedule.

Bummer on the wheelchair access. Even with my wife's folding manual chair it's a big hassle to tender. While HAL might be persuaded to allow a date switch, especially if original booking was on Amsterdam, at same price if there are other arrangements like air that would have to be changed that could be costly. Still I would be inclined to contact the Special Needs department at HAL and see if they can work out a solution.

HAL at this time does not have it tendering on that date,but I wonder if they are behind in their programming.

Contacted TA and she ascertained from HAL that if it is indeed tendering, they will switch it to June 11th. I have a hold until Wednesday on an identical handicap cabin just in case. I will not lose my refundable $350 in making the switch but only if the June 3rd sailing is tendering.

The AS dock is being rebuilt as we speak, similar to the Cruise Terminal (CT) dock which was completed in May 2016. Like the CT dock, the Alaska Steamship (AS) dock will have an off-shore floating berth that will be able to handle Panamax-size ships such as HAL's Vistas and Signatures. The new dock is scheduled to be completed by the start of this year's Alaska season

Juneau-cruise-ship-berths-site-plan.jpg?_ga=1.172453923.1238156220.1486165387

Why do you say that it will cost "much more" to change the sailing date? I changed our sailing date on a recent HAL cruise after I paid in full just a few weeks before sailing, and we were only out $100.

Explain the situation to HAL and see what they can do for you. Things will improve as the sailing date draws near and prices drop as HAL will consider what you originally paid.

igraf

Alaska cruise docks have been assigned. The one week that we are on the Oosterdam, it will be anchoring in Juneau. It is being bumped from the dock by the Regatta June 6th only.

I am really upset because my friend is in a power chair and it will be very difficult to get him ashore. Jumping to another date will cost much more.

Very disappointed. :(

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Juneau-JNU-2017.pdf

Copper.....do know any inside people at HAL that can confirm tendering /docking for the June 4th Oosterdam cruise ?

Nope, sorry Sean; Berthing positions are schedule by the Juneau harbormaster/Port Authority. If the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska, the organization all Alaska port agents belong to, puts it on their website, they got if from the Juneau port authority

Nope, sorry Sean; Berthing positions are schedule by the Juneau harbormaster/Port Authority. If the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska, the organization all Alaska port agents belong to, puts it on their website, they got if from the Juneau port authority

That's what I thought.....HAL is behind on it's info.

Why do you say that it will cost "much more" to change the sailing date? I changed our sailing date on a recent HAL cruise after I paid in full just a few weeks before sailing, and we were only out $100.

Explain the situation to HAL and see what they can do for you. Things will improve as the sailing date draws near and prices drop as HAL will consider what you originally paid.

igraf

Yes, as it turned out it wasn't more....actually a few dollars less. Just waiting for HAL to get up to speed and they will switch me over.

Hi Sean: Hope you enjoy the cruise you end up doing. Alaska is so beautiful-I've been there twice and I'd like to go again. I met you some years ago' date=' I believe it was on a cruise to Mexico.

Marnie (luvcruisn')[/quote']

Hi Marnie! Yes,I remember you.😊

I have been to Alaska many times, but I still enjoy each one like it was the first time.

If necessary, there is a tender for wheelchairs that can accommodate the power chair. Have seen it used for just that. Contact HAL's medical. Also, I would recommend you send HAL an email and ask about possibly switching dates due to the anchoring and the wheel chair to see if they will let you switch for no change in fare. One never knows, they may say yes but also, it all may change when you get there.

If necessary, there is a tender for wheelchairs that can accommodate the power chair. Have seen it used for just that. Contact HAL's medical. Also, I would recommend you send HAL an email and ask about possibly switching dates due to the anchoring and the wheel chair to see if they will let you switch for no change in fare. One never knows, they may say yes but also, it all may change when you get there.

Agree on the power chair. The Westerdam could accommodate in most ports. It's definitely worth inquiring. Not sure if it is limited to certain ships or not?

Good for you. In our case, I found out to that I had booked the same week as the gospel music cruise. I definitely had to bail out of that one !!! :-)

Though not as bad as the "Polka in Paradise" cruise......(yes, there really is one)

igraf

Yes, as it turned out it wasn't more....actually a few dollars less. Just waiting for HAL to get up to speed and they will switch me over.

Good for you. In our case, I found out to that I had booked the same week as the gospel music cruise. I definitely had to bail out of that one !!! :-)

Though not as bad as the "Polka in Paradise" cruise......(yes, there really is one)

igraf

I should amend that a bit.. IF HAL didn't allow a transfer to a non-tendering date, I would be out $350 non-refundable deposit for switching. So still waiting for HAL to update their itineraries to match the Port Authorities info.

I just called HAL and he suggested I call ship services on Monday to get more specific info on my particular sail date.

So glad this is going to turn out well for you. Now you can relax and anticipate all the great things about an Alaska cruise.

We are not out of the woods yet. We are still waiting to see if HAL will recognize the fact that it is tendering on that day as the port authority says.