Terrible news

Tinknock50

Still no word from HAL acknowledging the Port Authority's docking schedule. :(

I really wish I could get someone from HAL to LOOK at the Port Authorities assignment of docking and anchoring in Juneau. This is all very frustrating.

I am going to call the Port Authority today to see if I can get someone to rattle HAL's cage so their computers will show the tender dates.

Edited by Tinknock50

I really wish I could get someone from HAL to LOOK at the Port Authorities assignment of docking and anchoring in Juneau. This is all very frustrating.

I am going to call the Port Authority today to see if I can get someone to rattle HAL's cage so their computers will show the tender dates.

I don't think the Port Authority can force HAL to update its website, however much you want that. Also remember that docking assignments can change last-minute. I hope it all turns out that you will dock as expected, but whatever anyone's website says, it isn't guaranteed.

I don't think the Port Authority can force HAL to update its website, however much you want that. Also remember that docking assignments can change last-minute. I hope it all turns out that you will dock as expected, but whatever anyone's website says, it isn't guaranteed.

The thing is, it is not "expected" to dock that day, it is scheduled to tender according to the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska. I called the Port authority and they directed me back to the CLAA because it is the official schedule of docking/tendering. That is what is so frustrating.....I can't reach anyone at HAL to see what their ship is actually SCHEDULED to do that day when someone there HAS to know.

True, docking can change last minute, but I doubt that happens frequently without a major reason. It is more likely it will follow it's official schedule.

My hold on the folowing weeks' cruise stops tomorrow.

I am truly sorry you are having so much trouble. Unfortunately, you have to remember: people and companies lie/obfuscate/deny all the time if it means making money. HAL is, apparently no exception. Keep hounding them to get what you need/deserve.

True, docking can change last minute, but I doubt that happens frequently without a major reason. It is more likely it will follow it's official schedule.

Problem is you need to make and lock in the change NOW... not at the last minute and HAL isn't making that happen. At the moment the best information available is that it is tendering on the 6/4 itinerary so they should allow the switch. Accessible cabins frequently (always really) sell out and usually pretty early. When we switched to a balcony a few weeks ago I was really surprised by the number still available.

After all the posts we would enjoy meeting you on the 6/11 sailing. Hang in there. :)

Problem is you need to make and lock in the change NOW... not at the last minute and HAL isn't making that happen. At the moment the best information available is that it is tendering on the 6/4 itinerary so they should allow the switch. Accessible cabins frequently (always really) sell out and usually pretty early. When we switched to a balcony a few weeks ago I was really surprised by the number still available.

After all the posts we would enjoy meeting you on the 6/11 sailing. Hang in there. :)

Exactly. I don't have the luxury of time for HAL to get it's act together.

It would be great to join you! Prices have evened out between your week and mine and the later in June the better. HAL needs to get on the stick and make this happen.

I am truly sorry you are having so much trouble. Unfortunately, you have to remember: people and companies lie/obfuscate/deny all the time if it means making money. HAL is, apparently no exception. Keep hounding them to get what you need/deserve.

I don't think it is as much lies as it is incompetence and the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. HAL has to know what it's ships are doing that day, but the info is not making it down to the passenger relations level.

I don't think it is as much lies as it is incompetence and the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. HAL has to know what it's ships are doing that day, but the info is not making it down to the passenger relations level.

Sadly, HAL rarely changes it's itinerary unless they consider it a substantial change. (I guess tender versus docking is not substantial).

Our itinerary says we tender in Monaco. Monaco port site says we dock. I'll go with the Monaco port website ;)

Sadly, HAL rarely changes it's itinerary unless they consider it a substantial change. (I guess tender versus docking is not substantial).

Our itinerary says we tender in Monaco. Monaco port site says we dock. I'll go with the Monaco port website ;)

Agree....I go with the Port Authority too.

Come on HAL.....communicate with yourselves!

Sent an e-mail to Access and Compliance pleading for help. Probably get back the standard reply about their online itinerary, so I am not holding my breath getting any satisfaction.

My hold has been extended on the following weeks cruise, but I am very skeptical I will get any satisfaction soon enough to help.

Why do you say that it will cost "much more" to change the sailing date? I changed our sailing date on a recent HAL cruise after I paid in full just a few weeks before sailing, and we were only out $100.

Explain the situation to HAL and see what they can do for you. Things will improve as the sailing date draws near and prices drop as HAL will consider what you originally paid.

igraf

Well, just communicated with my TA and it WILL cost me $600 more to switch. Add to that the non-refundable $350 deposit I will lose.

When it comes to having a handicap, you cannot wait too late.

What type of HC cabin did you book?

Finally found the list of HAL Tendering Ports (or is there something specific for the 6/4 sailing?) and noticed it still lists Sitka but on the CLAA schedule ALL HAL ships are using Old Sitka Dock (OSD) so Sitka should no longer be listed as tendering - same as Juneau should be too - even with an asterisk for "sometimes". So the HAL tendering port list is by no means definitive and more than likely has been overlooked by the web site maintenance people and is obsolete - something to point out to HAL reps if that is what they are relying on.

VA on deck 5. If I recall there were either 6 or 8 on various decks to select from. It popped the price $500/pp over the original Inside cabin but we were able to keep the Explore 4 promo.

Were you originally booked on Amsterdam before the switch?

Finally found the list of HAL Tendering Ports (or is there something specific for the 6/4 sailing?) and noticed it still lists Sitka but on the CLAA schedule ALL HAL ships are using Old Sitka Dock (OSD) so Sitka should no longer be listed as tendering - same as Juneau should be too - even with an asterisk for "sometimes". So the HAL tendering port list is by no means definitive and more than likely has been overlooked by the web site maintenance people and is obsolete - something to point out to HAL reps if that is what they are relying on.

VA on deck 5. If I recall there were either 6 or 8 on various decks to select from. It popped the price $500/pp over the original Inside cabin but we were able to keep the Explore 4 promo.

Were you originally booked on Amsterdam before the switch?

The reason I ask which cabin you got is because when I called HAL they said there is only 22 1/2" between the foot of the bed and the side wall. Is the wheelchair you are using going to fit there?

I was booked on the Eurodam before I moved to the Oosterdam.

Well, I am now on your cruise instead! I will try to recover my $350 for the first booking later.

More on that later. :)

Oh great....now my travel insurance will not let me switch the dates. I just wrote them back to see if I can cancel the policy since I am making no claims on it and it is useless now. There could be a small charge for cancelling, but I hope to get some of my money back.

Oh great....now my travel insurance will not let me switch the dates. I just wrote them back to see if I can cancel the policy since I am making no claims on it and it is useless now. There could be a small charge for cancelling, but I hope to get some of my money back.

Just heard back from them. No refunds whatsoever. Guess I know who NOT to use next time.:mad:

Just heard back from them. No refunds whatsoever. Guess I know who NOT to use next time.:mad:

Which travel insurance? Travel Guard paid a claim where I'd changed the dates. USAA says we can make one date change.

I hate tenders, and if it was not specified as tender at the time of booking, I'd ask for the port charges back for Juneau. Not like you'll be using the port.

We had two ports that were tender at the time of booking, but turned to port when we got on the ship. So you never know.

Which travel insurance? Travel Guard paid a claim where I'd changed the dates. USAA says we can make one date change.

I hate tenders, and if it was not specified as tender at the time of booking, I'd ask for the port charges back for Juneau. Not like you'll be using the port.

We had two ports that were tender at the time of booking, but turned to port when we got on the ship. So you never know.

I got a hold of a nice lady at HAL customer service, named Christine, and she sent me a great letter explaining the changes in my booking. I forwarded it to my insurance as one last plea for a refund or date change. I am not going to mention the insurance company name until I get that answer.

Anyway I am still very happy that we have a cruise now that docks instead of tenders.....and with no penalty!

I got a hold of a nice lady at HAL customer service, named Christine, and she sent me a great letter explaining the changes in my booking. I forwarded it to my insurance as one last plea for a refund or date change. I am not going to mention the insurance company name until I get that answer.

Anyway I am still very happy that we have a cruise now that docks instead of tenders.....and with no penalty!

More good news! The trip insurance company is now going to refund my premium!:')

Thank you Christine at Guest Relations!

Now I am on a better date cruise and for a little less money too.:)

The AS dock is being rebuilt as we speak, similar to the Cruise Terminal (CT) dock which was completed in May 2016. Like the CT dock, the Alaska Steamship (AS) dock will have an off-shore floating berth that will be able to handle Panamax-size ships such as HAL's Vistas and Signatures. The new dock is scheduled to be completed by the start of this year's Alaska season

Juneau-cruise-ship-berths-site-plan.jpg?_ga=1.172453923.1238156220.1486165387

As much as I appreciate this info, I'm sorry to see that the great view from Hangar on the Wharf will be severely compromised. :(

Edited by Boatdrill

As much as I appreciate this info, I'm sorry to see that the great view from Hangar on the Wharf will be severely compromised. :(
I hadn't thought of that. It seems you would have a good view of the "port" side of the two ships there. But they would block the view of the rest of the harbor. Maybe they will relocate the camera?

Going to be tricky for the floatplanes too. Especially to be mindful of the bulbous nose of the ship sticking out toward the plane docks.

Glad it all worked out Tinknock50. See ya in June!

I wonder if they haven't reconfigured the floatplane docks too.

Yes Sequim88.....getting excited about this trip!