New Pizza Place on the Renovated Ships

SilvertoGold

It was on the Rotterdam in January. The nice part is that it is open in the afternoon to grab a quick bite when returning from an excursion after the Lido is closed. One evening a half dozen of us returned late, after closing time for pizza, while the chefs were cleaning up. They stopped cleaning and made pizzas for all of us. Service above and beyond!

Nice to hear :)

Can you (or others who have had the new pizza station) tell me if there is a Taco Bar on the Rotterdam? I seem to recall friends saying that the new pizza place on the Vistas meant the elimination of the Taco Bar?

thank you :)

We had always found HAL pizza lacking -- but were thrilled with the New York Pizza on the Nieuw Amsterdam last fall. (We sailed on the Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale transatlantic, so lots of sea days to try out different things on the ship.)

We found the new made-to-order pizzas similar to pizza in Italy - crisp, thin crust, and made for 1 person but could feed 2.

If you want to see photos of the menu and the pizza, check out this link: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/11/19/a-look-at-new-york-pizza-on-holland-americas-nieuw-amsterdam/

What type pizza station is on the Amsterdam now? And is there still a taco bar?

I find advantages to both pizza station types but the custom made pies were better tasting, just too big. I prefer to get a slice so I guess the old rubbery style will do for an add-on with a salad. I like to alternate with the taco bar offerings.

Thanks, m--

New York style pizza is by the slice. The slice is folded and eaten from your hand. AND IT IS NEVER EATEN WITH A KNIFE AND FORK.

A whole small pie is definitely not New York style. Seattle is wrong on this one!

Hey, Seattle isn't known for pizza! :p

The Vista class Oosterdam was just in drydock in April 2016. Does anyone know if the pizza facilities have been changed from a "by the slice" setup in the Lido to the New York Style whole pie, made to order system ?

The last time we were on the Zuiderdam, the pizza oven was a part of the Pasta Station in the Lido Restaurant. I will confirm if this is still the case on November 20th.

This is indeed still the case on the Zuiderdam (as least it was a month ago when we were on board). My previous experience of pizza on cruise ships is that it's been pretty inedible with the only exception being on Costa ships. We were pleasantly surprised by the good pizza (by the slice) that was served on Zuiderdam.

We really liked the New York Pizza on the NA. Especially loved the one with the arugula. We often shared a pizza for a snack, or had one each for a lunch. They are thin crispy crust and have lots of toppings to choose from. You can order them to "take out" and they will put it in a pizza box - we did that once and took it to our cabin and had pizza on our balcony. Yummy.

This is indeed still the case on the Zuiderdam (as least it was a month ago when we were on board). My previous experience of pizza on cruise ships is that it's been pretty inedible with the only exception being on Costa ships. We were pleasantly surprised by the good pizza (by the slice) that was served on Zuiderdam.

Thanks for the confirmation..Sounds good! :DI might even try it when we're on the Zuiderdam in the fall..