HAL MDR evening dining room and baseball caps?

I am considering a first time cruise on HAL. I've read dress codes are strictly enforced for evening dining in MDR.

So, is it OK on HAL for gents to wear their baseball caps when dining in the MDR? Talking about evening sitting.

The reason I ask is that I noticed gents wearing baseball caps at dinner in MDR on a recent Princess cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Are you asking because you have some sort of medical or psychological condition that requires you to keep your head covered even when going to the MDR or causes you discomfiture should you observe a stranger wearing a hat in the MDR?

Outside of those two cases, I'm unsure why someone who's cleaned up and dressed nicely to go to dinner would then put on a ball cap, nor do I know why one would be concerned whether or not some stranger across the room did so.

Are you asking because you have some sort of medical or psychological condition that requires you to keep your head covered even when going to the MDR or causes you discomfiture should you observe a stranger wearing a hat in the MDR?

Outside of those two cases, I'm unsure why someone who's cleaned up and dressed nicely to go to dinner would then put on a ball cap, nor do I know why one would be concerned whether or not some stranger across the room did so.

No. And I could care less. So it's OK, then? MDR are usually to cold for me. My head gets cold.

I've seen men wearing their cowboy(?) hats at the dining table. And, I would enjoy wearing my top hat just because I can. I'm sure no one would object if I wore it at dinner?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Gentlemen traditionally uncover in a dining room. Ship personnel remove their hats that are part of the uniform while in the dining room. Even train conductors that wear hats as part of their uniform remove them while passing through the dining car.

Nothing worse than a baseball fan not removing their cap during the National Anthem!

I can't get over the fact that in the Southwest USA, men drive in cars with their cowboy hats on. Come on yokels, there is a roof 3 inches over your head, you're in the shade

Edited by germanyboy

Gentlemen traditionally uncover in a dining room. Ship personnel remove their hats that are part of the uniform while in the dining room. Even train conductors that wear hats as part of their uniform remove them while passing through the dining car.

Nothing worse than a baseball fan not removing their cap during the National Anthem!

Thanks!

Then I will remove my hat when I sit down at the dinner table.

we seemed to have lost teaching manners--opening doors, taking off hats indoors, spitting, saying thank you and on and on.Wearing a baseball cap in church is right up there with wearing shorts and bridal dresses with your boobs sticking out. Bad taste and disrespectful. (also calling people bad names just to get attention).

Edited by catl331

is not a gentleman. And if they wear it backwards it lowers their IQ 10 points.

That doubles if they have sunglasses on top :D

Add a sweater and you'll have "World Series Of Poker" :):)

Funny (to remain on topic), we want to forgo suits this year because we find it too hot in the dining room. :rolleyes:

Edited by mariopb
Typo

I am considering a first time cruise on HAL. I've read dress codes are strictly enforced for evening dining in MDR.

So, is it OK on HAL for gents to wear their baseball caps when dining in the MDR? Talking about evening sitting.

The reason I ask is that I noticed gents wearing baseball caps at dinner in MDR on a recent Princess cruise.

Technically, no gentleman wears his hat indoors. You can't even wear a golf hat inside the clubhouse at a lot of country clubs in the U.S., but that might be a bit overboard, no pun intended, on a cruise. That being said, I don't think a ball cap fits HAL's "smart casual" definition.

Edited by blizzardboy

Per Emily Post on Hat etiquette:

Take hats off, including baseball caps …

In someone’s home

At mealtimes, at the table

While being introduced, indoors or out (unless it’s frigid!)

In a house of worship, unless a hat or head covering is required

Indoors at work, especially in an office (unless required for the job)

In public buildings such as a school, library, courthouse, or town hall

In restaurants and coffee shops

At a movie or any indoor performance

When the national anthem is played

When the flag of the United States passes by, as in a parade

I have a cute little clip on my cruise purse (always have it with me) where I can attach my husband's hat when we're coming inside from being outside on the deck.

Very convenient on port stops when going to a restaurant. :)

This reminds me of a Bum Phillips quote.

"Mama always said that if it can't rain on you, you're indoors." (Explaining why he wouldn't wear his cowboy hat in the Astrodome, the first domed stadium)

Edited by PatsyAnne
Hit wrong button

I can't get over the fact that in the Southwest USA, men drive in cars with their cowboy hats on. Come on yokels, there is a roof 3 inches over your head, you're in the shade

That Stetson is probably worth more than the rest of the man's attire combined (saving his boots, of course). It's safer on his head than anywhere else in the car.

No. And I could care less. So it's OK, then? MDR are usually to cold for me. My head gets cold.

I've seen men wearing their cowboy(?) hats at the dining table. And, I would enjoy wearing my top hat just because I can. I'm sure no one would object if I wore it at dinner?

Not to worry: given the recent easing of whatever dress codes did exist, I am sure it is only a matter of (not very much) time before no one will care however absurdly you dress. For women: Spandex yoga pants (emphasizing every butt crack and crease in thigh fat) will soon migrate from Lido to MDR - topped off with tawdry "dressy" tank tops (amazing what a sprinkling of sequins will do) showing underlying camisole and bra straps; and men wearing their frayed jeans hung low so we can all identify their chosen brand of underpants.

And all of us politically correct folk will complacently agree that what someone across the room is wearing has no impact on the flavor of our food.

This reminds me of a Bum Phillips quote.

"Mama always said that if it can't rain on you, you're indoors." (Explaining why he wouldn't wear his cowboy hat in the Astrodome, the first domed stadium)

I was going to quote the same thing. Bum Phillips was a gentleman. And a gentleman doesn't wear a hat indoors. In fact, I spent 20 years in the military. And in the military we never were "covered" indoors. Is this really a difficult question?