Mini Bar Charges Post Cruise

I've been following this thread since we booked our Independence cruise. We never got an email statement after the cruise but we just received the credit card bill and the amount was correct. There were a couple of pending charges but they dropped off and were not charged. So all was fine with us.

I hope everyone gets their minibar charges straightened out quickly and that Royal Caribbean fixes this problem soon!

I was mistaken on the amount, it was $12+change. I called today to have it removed. I suggested they check into it because there are multiple complaints of this happening on cruise critic. The gentleman even asked what he should search for on cruise critic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I was mistaken on the amount, it was $12+change. I called today to have it removed. I suggested they check into it because there are multiple complaints of this happening on cruise critic. The gentleman even asked what he should search for on cruise critic.

Funny, when I called to get my incorrect minibar charge removed from my Feb cruise the rep said they knew of the issue and were looking at how to correct it. I did tell them they were taking way too long to figure out the problem and reaping the benefits from those that don't pay attention.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I can not even imagine the number of people who don't bother to call for a $12 charge or have so many charges they don't even notice it. They really have to be reaping the benifits from this. Just not good business practices as far as I'm concerned.

I can not even imagine the number of people who don't bother to call for a $12 charge or have so many charges they don't even notice it. They really have to be reaping the benifits from this. Just not good business practices as far as I'm concerned.

Refer to this previous post.

It is not a glitch. Look at the hard result of over charging.

Average # of cabins - 1000 (conservative)

Times ------------- $13.00

equals ------------ $13,000

Times #of ships-------- 25

equals------------$325,000

Time # of weeks --------52

equals --------$16,900,000

Not chump change. Pretty good profit.

• 2 weeks later...
RCI is much more subtle (okay devious) than putting on an ADDITIONAL. $12 charge. At least in my case rather than bill me say $467.14 plus a separate $12, I was billed $479.14 - much less likely to notice since it is a single charge that is approximately correct.

I'm glad your refund came through, but this is a hassle and looks a lot like fraud.:mad::mad:

We had three cabins on Navigator two weeks ago and all 3 got the $12.47 charge for the bottles of water that sat on the vanity all week. When I called to get them removed, the rep asked if we drank them and my response was "we had the drink package and I knew those were a charge so we definitely did not drink those ones". All three cabins. Oh well.

RCI is much more subtle (okay devious) than putting on an ADDITIONAL. $12 charge. At least in my case rather than bill me say $467.14 plus a separate $12, I was billed $479.14 - much less likely to notice since it is a single charge that is approximately correct.

I'm glad your refund came through, but this is a hassle and looks a lot like fraud.:mad::mad:

It's good you were meticulous on billings. They almost had a fast one on you!

Considering that the $12 extra charge has been going on for some time now without any corrective action, you are right to label it as a fraud.

That is exactly how mine was billed too. I knew to watch for it from another post on CC but I'll bet it is missed far more often than caught.

Between this, the room service fee, the obligatory extra tips if you want decent bar service, the elimination of the wine and beer package and the extra fee items in the extra fee restaurants, my cruise bill is starting to look like my cell phone bill.

Thinking of changing to T-mobile...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happened to us and at least 8 other cabins that I am aware of on our March 5th Anthem sailing. I emailed Bayley's office about it. I got a call and an email about it with a promise of a refund an promises that the known issue was being looked into

So I just checked my bank statement. I finally got the refund today. I received the refund however it was not correct. I was charged $12.36 USD on the cruise which was charged to my USD Visa. The refund I was given was for $12.36 CAD which translated into $9.02 USD after exchange on my USD Visa. The refund should have been for the same amount and currency as the original charge. I just sent another email to the person who contacted me from Bayley's office

Happened to us and at least 8 other cabins that I am aware of on our March 5th Anthem sailing. I emailed Bayley's office about it. I got a call and an email about it with a promise of a refund an promises that the known issue was being looked into

Promises promises. What a racket.

I would probably not have noticed my charge last November but I had paid off my account on board so it was just the water added after I left. Especially with the exchange rate. Yes they did refund it but only after calling.

It's starting to sound like it might be easier just to take or use the water if you are going to pay for it anyway.

For that same $12 at Wal Mart I could purchase three 35-bottle cases of water. I would much rather have 105 cheap bottles from Wal Mart than 2 overpriced bottles from RCI. And, yes, I realize you are not serious :D

For that same $12 at Wal Mart I could purchase three 35-bottle cases of water. I would much rather have 105 cheap bottles from Wal Mart than 2 overpriced bottles from RCI. And, yes, I realize you are not serious :D

I am and I'm not serious. I'm getting lazy in my old age, and hate to admit that I'm probably going to reward RCI's technical incompetence on a much larger scale.

One week before final payment, looks like the cabin I have my kids booked in dropped by a couple of hundred dollars. I normally would jump all over that, but after reading all of the horror stories about cruises being cancelled, cabins being lost, payment after final payment being required, I'm hesitant to rock to boat (so to speak).

If everyone filed a complaint and provided all the documentation here, there would be an investigation

But if you call they will remove the charges with no argument, so not sure if anything could be done. This happened to me once a couple of years ago (small charges from minibar that we did not use).

But if you call they will remove the charges with no argument, so not sure if anything could be done. This happened to me once a couple of years ago (small charges from minibar that we did not use).

That has been the complaint way back. the need to still call even when it has been ongoing for a time now. If you don't call, they retain the payments.