First Timers review of Oceania Alaska

teemsum

I have cruised with Carnival, Celebrity, Century, Costa, Disney, Holland America, Norwegian, Paul Gauguin, Princess, Regent, Royal Caribbean & Scenic.

This was our 6th cruise to Alaska.

20 May – Arrived at Canada Place at 1 pm. We were herded upstairs to a big hall where we sat for 30-40 mins before

doing ship check-in. Then we went next door to another hall where we were given group # 10 to sit for 20

mins. They were up to # 79. Then they said “I have already called # 1-79”. Ok, so now we go back

downstairs to join the line for security screening. The line goes quickly but I got dizzy walking round & round

so fast. After security screening, we go to another hall: Canadians & Americans go to the right, International

guests go to the left ( to another hall to sit for another 30 mins ). Finally, we are called to the US immigration

line. This is when I see more than 20 self-serve passport kiosks & am perplexed why they are not being

used as they only have 6 agents for each line ( CAD/USD & International ). Finally we board the ship at 3:34

pm, rush to the Terrace Cafe for a quick lunch & back to our stateroom at 4 pm to bring our life-jackets to

Muster Drill at 4:15 pm in the Regatta lounge which lasts 45 mins.

Afterwards, we head to the outside deck for sail-away & the spectacular scenery as we sail under the Lion’s Gate bridge with Stanley Park on our port side. I was disappointed that there was no Sail-away party.

Dinner starts at 6:30 pm in all venues. Since this is a 10 day cruise, I’m pacing myself with the Canyon

Ranch Spa menu. It’s tasty. For dessert, they have homemade cookies & Petit Fours on request.

Out of curiosity, I order them. The homemade cookies are too large for dessert & they taste bland. I like the

acarons but they don’t have them everyday.

The evening show is at 9:30 pm. We attend the Welcome Aboard show which includes the singers & dancers performing 4 numbers. Their singing is quite good.

If you finish dinner around 8-8:30 pm, head up to Horizons Lounge on deck 10 for the beautiful scenery every night. You may even see something in the water !

21May – sea day

Breakfast starts at 6 am in Waves Grill, 6:30 am in the Buffet, 7 am in the Dining room.

Everyday for Breafast, there is a Smoothie Special, Egg Special & a Bakery Special.

Although not advertised, they also have soy/almond milk.

Afternoon TeaTime 4-5 pm daily.

Captain’s Cocktail Celebration – 5:45 pm in the Regatta Lounge

Complimentary cocktails 6-8 pm in Horizon Lounge & Martini Lounge

John Palmisano is the Enrichment Lecturer. He speaks on the history of Alaska today.

Everyday in the Grand Dining room for Lunch, they have the Taste of the World featuring a sampler plate of

International Cuisine. Today it’s Mexico.

Every evening, they have Happy Hour in the Horizons Lounge & Waves Bar from 5-6 pm & 10:30 -11:30 pm

Buy 1, Get 1 of the same drink.

Tonight the show is Good Lovin’ ( This is a must-see if you love Motown with a Twist ).

22May – Ketchikan

Comedian Lee Bayless

Taste of the World – Scandinavia

23May – Juneau

Free wifi at the library at Berth E. Library is on the top floor of the parking garage.

$ 2.00 City bus to Mendenhall takes 45 mins. You get off & walk another 1.5 miles.

This bus is best left to the locals as it gets quite busy with seniors & young families.

Go early in the morning & allow a minimum of 6 hours to see & do everything here.

Tours only spend 45 mins here.

I think the Blue Line express takes you directly to Mendenhall Glacier for $ 30 USD roundtrip.

Taste of the World - Greece

Entertainment – singer Joey Gian sings Rat Pack & Ray Charles

Alaskan Dinner Buffet in the Terrace Cafe.

24May – Haines

Population 2500 year round.

Other than Oceania, Holland America is the only cruise line to visit this port.

There are washrooms at the end of the pier.

There’s also a golf cart shuttle if you can’t walk the length of the pier.

Free shuttle around town.

Most shops open at 11 am or 12 noon.

Bald Eagle Foundation is $ 10.00 USD.

Quite expensive to see a diorama of animals & viewing a live eagle.

Only tours will also have a live presentation of an Eurasian owl.

Look up as you’re walking around the town as they’re many bald eagles here.

Washrooms at the Visitors Center, Library & Fort Seward.

Entertainment – Gatsby’s ( pretty good )

Taste of the World – The Caribbean

25May – Hubbard Glacier

We were at the Glacier from 12 – 2 pm.

The Captain turns the port-side of the ship towards the glacier for 30 mins & then the starboard side for 30 mins.

We were so close & there was so much calving...it was breath-taking.

Disappointed there was no commentary while we were at the Glacier like other cruise lines: Disney, HAL, Princess

Entertainment – Cruise Director David Bradshawe “ With a Song in my Heart” ( a tribute to Rodgers & Hart )

Taste of the World – Italy

26May – Hoonah ( Icy Strait Point )

They have a new 400 ft dock & a golf cart shuttle if you can’t walk it.

$ 5 USD per person roundtrip to Hoonah cruiseline shuttle

Or

I think there is a Red Trolley that parks a little further from the shuttle stop that costs $ 3 USD operated by the City of Hoonah with free wifi.

We took the shuttle to Hoonah & walked down to the Community Trail where there are mudflats for bird-watching. We spotted a kingfisher.

Taste of the World - Provence

Entertainment – Tuxedo ( quite good )

27May – Sitka

Free shuttle to town.

Free wifi at the library. Also, a water bottle refill station here.

We walked to the Sitka Heritage Park, then onto the Alaska Raptor Center $ 12 USD.

Very pretty here. We loved it.

Taste of the World – Morocco

Entertainment – Lee Bayless ( this show is a hoot, must watch )

28May – Cruising the Outside Passage

Taste of the World – Asia

Entertainment – Get on the Floor & Dance ( I thought the 1st part was too much like the Good Lovin’ show )

Most activities onboard earn you O points which can be redeemed for merchandise today:

20 points – logo visor or purse hook

40 points – blue/while athletic t-shirts

45 points – baseball cap

50 points – blue/white long sleeve t-shirts

29May – Victoria

Shuttle to town $ 10 USD/$ 12 CAD per person roundtrip

Or

You can walk the scenic 1.5 mile route.

We walked along the David Foster Harbour Pathway to Fisherman’s Wharf where there are quaint floating homes & seafood to sample.

Then we walked along Heron Cove where there was a Great Blue Heron & further on, an Oystercatcher.

Then past the Empress hotel to Chinatown onto Beacon Hill Park to admire the lovely gardens & ponds.

Then back along the Ocean path back to the ship.

All this in 4.5 hours without stopping in a single shop !

Taste of the World – India

Entertainment – Joey Gian sings more Rat Pack

Luggage outside your room by 10 pm.

30May – Everyone out of their stateroom by 8 am & off the ship by 9 am.

US immigration only collects the customs form, nothing else to do.

FYI:

Internet - $ 27.99 per person per day for Unlimited Internet

or

$ 160 for 200 minutes

or

$ 0.99 per minute

There are 4 computers that have MS WORD for you to type documents before pasting it to your email.

Printing is free.

Coffee from the Coffee Bar is better than anywhere else on the ship.

24 hr beverage machine in the Terrace Cafe.

Daily ice-creams & sorbets are different in the Waves Grill, Terrace Cafe & Dining room

At the Waves Grill, try the Surf & Turf & the Kobe Burger.

I asked if they had Sweet Potato Fries.

‘No, we don’t”

They have it on Regent.

“That’s why you pay more on Regent, I know I was there.”

Might be true but I don’t think that’s an appropriate response.

Same bread basket nightly just like Regent.

Only Toscana had a different bread basket.

Dinner in the Polo Grill ( steak & seafood ) is really good.

Toscana is not for those with dairy allergies.

This is a very low key cruise.

Good for people who like to create their own amusement.

The dinner menus have a bit more variety in that not everything had dairy in it.

But after 5 days, the menu started to repeat.

Captain Meinhardt Hansen is very personable & his English is good.

He has captained the Regatta for 3 years now.

We enjoyed the ease of getting on & off a ship with only 648 passengers.

However, for destination immersion; Princess still does it best with Alaskan Seafood in several venues daily, bringing on local talent, Alaskan-themed onboard activities & an Alaskan Park Ranger for commentary onboard.

Your embarkation in Vancouver sounds even worse than ours. We were on the Regent cruise that started from there just a couple,of days prior to yours.

Interesting that on regent all the shuttle buses (Victoria, Sitka, Hoonah ) were included.

How is internet speed on regatta? We will be on board in January. One of my previous major complaints with Oceania, in fact so bad that I swore I would never said them again ( haha--never say never) was that the Internet was so slow and I was having to pay by the minute for it. It would take me five or ten minutes just to get logged on to my VPN for work and get through all the firewalls, much less be able to do any actual work.

Did they bring on fresh seafood? They did this at every port on Regent.

And finally, you stated that you were very close to Hubbard glacier. How close is that exactly?. I was quite disappointed at how very far from the glacier we were on our recent trip. We had been there before and gotten much closer. We were way too far away to see any calving at all. Weather was not an issue, as the weather was perfect. We were told it was because of some regulation that prevented the ship from getting any closer. But that doesn't make sense unless it is based on the size of the ship.

I laughed at your embarkation story!! Our very first cruise ever was Regatta departing from the Canada Center. It was the worse nightmare and took hours -- never ever repeated since on any Oceania voyage. Since it was our first experience, we thought it was always that bad!

Thanks for the review, OP, but I'm surprised at your comment that menus started repeating after 5 days or so. That has never been our experience on our Oceania cruises. It's always been more like every 14 days.

I wonder if there might have been a specific reason WHY meals repeated more often. I can't think of why that might have been since Alaska is not at the end of the world ...

One reason we tend to prefer the GDR or Terrace to the specialties is because the menus change, and have a large variety, whereas the specialty restaurants have static menus which change only rarely. If they normally changed every 5 days or so, we wouldn't be so positive about dining there!

Mura

Interesting that on regent all the shuttle buses (Victoria, Sitka, Hoonah ) were included.

Could it be because Regent is marketed as ALL-INCLUSIVE ??

I bet on Regent you also had free shore excursions unlike Oceania

Could it be because Regent is marketed as ALL-INCLUSIVE ??

I bet on Regent you also had free shore excursions unlike Oceania

Doesn't Oceania have some free excursions with "O Life" (or whatever it is called?) Actually, the good excursions in Alaska are not included but do cost less than on Oceania. On the other hand, the cruise fares on less on Oceania than on Regent. Both cruise lines are fine -- it depends upon what your priorities are.

TC, yes it does now ... that's rather new, and it's not a free tour in every port, just a limited number depending on the length of the cruise.

Reactions are mixed from regular cruisers on O whether they like the idea or not. It's popular for sure with people who usually use ship's tours.

Speaking for myself, we are using them on our next 3 cruises to the extent that they are offered although we prefer organizing our own tours (or joining other passengers' organized tours).

Not arguing whether O or R is better! Especially since we haven't travelled on R yet ...

Mura

TC, yes it does now ... that's rather new, and it's not a free tour in every port, just a limited number depending on the length of the cruise.

Reactions are mixed from regular cruisers on O whether they like the idea or not. It's popular for sure with people who usually use ship's tours.

Speaking for myself, we are using them on our next 3 cruises to the extent that they are offered although we prefer organizing our own tours (or joining other passengers' organized tours).

Not arguing whether O or R is better! Especially since we haven't travelled on R yet ...

Mura

Mura - thank you so much for the information - really appreciate it. Regent also has only a few included tours in each port - the rest have a charge. Like you, we prefer doing our own thing or joining small groups.

Also appreciate your attitude on the Oceania board. You make this a better place to visit.:)

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you, TC! Besides, we have similar looking cats...

Mura

P.S. Now that I think of it, Whisker's photo seems to have disappeared!

Edited by Mura

Thank you, TC! Besides, we have similar looking cats...

Mura

P.S. Now that I think of it, Whisker's photo seems to have disappeared!

Please get Whisker's photo back. Believe it or not, my avetar cat's name is Whiskey🐱

We recently disembarked at Canada Place. It was so horrible, and so unreasonable, that I want to avoid any cruise ending or starting there. Like, hundreds, maybe a thousand, people with luggage in a line to go up in one elevator? And port staff not mentioning you could walk on a little farther and go up a ramp to get out of there? And other things just as bad. Bad signage or none for the metro system. It was horrible. I have a lasting negative impression of that city, but Victoria was very nice.

Thanks for the review, OP, but I'm surprised at your comment that menus started repeating after 5 days or so. That has never been our experience on our Oceania cruises. It's always been more like every 14 days.

I wonder if there might have been a specific reason WHY meals repeated more often. I can't think of why that might have been since Alaska is not at the end of the world ...

One reason we tend to prefer the GDR or Terrace to the specialties is because the menus change, and have a large variety, whereas the specialty restaurants have static menus which change only rarely. If they normally changed every 5 days or so, we wouldn't be so positive about dining there!

Mura

You have the "discovery" that many of the items on the specialties as well as the main dining room, are all present in the Terrace cafe to some extent..every night. It is this huge variety of choice and the ability to mix and match as you so feel is incredible.

It aint a golden corral buffet!

I can recall recently Having a seafood salad, with scallops and shrimp with smoked duck breast and olives on the side with grilled eggplant. Then had a prime rib, a good 3/4 thick with escargot ent croute, a trimbal of forest mushrooms and oven roasted baby potatoes.. Finished up with an outstanding Apple strudel...with fresh Tahitian vanilla sauce.... My wife wanted simple just few lobster tails and a green salad.....

I was ignoring Terrace in my comments but Dan you're absolutely right, of course. We often compare the menus for the GDR and Terrace (especially for lunch) and notice similarities. It's hard NOT to find something you'd like to eat on any of O's ships. At least, it's hard for US ...

Terrace certainly has more options than the GDR, and the GDR has more than enough for us most of the time.

Mura

Toscana is not for those with dairy allergies.

Clarification for those who may not yet have traveled with Oceania - you can request special diets through your TA ahead of your cruise, including lactose free. O seems to do a pretty good job in my experience - I have to eat gluten free - although see CC threads, some other lines are even more focused on this issue judging by comments.

On O's website, search for "faq" and select the "Before You Go" section, scroll down and

"What special diets are available on the ships?

"Special arrangements can be made if you require diabetic, gluten-free, lactose-free, kosher, vegetarian and vegan meals. Other diets must be requested for approval and, in some cases, may require additional medical documentation.

I suggest you check in with the dining reservations desk on embarkation day to make sure your TA's dietary request has been tied to your room #. You will be asked to fill out a dinner menu ahead of time so they can accommodate your choices (some items might not be possible to adjust). In Terraces, ask and the server can tell you (or get someone who can tell you) if a given item fits your dietary restriction. Note, elsewhere in the FAQs it says kosher meals are available in the GDR only at this time (see Dining section of FAQs).

I smile as a past loyal Regent passenger for many years,They are very great and everything is included pretty much.... I found that didn't want to do or have everything they offered all the time.

I went to Oceania as an ala carte version of Regent, because they rotate crews and are in essence the same company.... However, I could have more freedom on Oceania ...More flexibility and more options for my creativity and options .

Regent is a package deal...like a summer camp you pretty much are in a organizational set up... You eat drink and tour on their schedule.. not yours.

Oceaina says "Your world Your Way" Regent says" Your world Our way"

Now .... as to comments that well "on Regent we did this" ..... "On Regent they offered that."....., "On Regent we could"... left out "That we paid $1500 to $2000 MORE "....... for the same length cruise than on Oceania for the same trip, on a smaller ship with less dining choices..

I smile as a past loyal Regent passenger for many years,They are very great and everything is included pretty much.... I found that didn't want to do or have everything they offered all the time.

I went to Oceania as an ala carte version of Regent, because they rotate crews and are in essence the same company.... However, I could have more freedom on Oceania ...More flexibility and more options for my creativity and options .

Regent is a package deal...like a summer camp you pretty much are in a organizational set up... You eat drink and tour on their schedule.. not yours.

Oceaina says "Your world Your Way" Regent says" Your world Our way"

Now .... as to comments that well "on Regent we did this" ..... "On Regent they offered that."....., "On Regent we could"... left out "That we paid $1500 to $2000 MORE "....... for the same length cruise than on Oceania for the same trip, on a smaller ship with less dining choices..

Actually Mariner has more dining choices and is larger than Regatta. And I have done the cost analysis--for comparable cabins and adding in all the extras that we use (drinks, excursions, laundry room, Internet)--there is no cost difference or Oceania is more expensive in some cases.

I am not wanting to start a fight. We are going to be on regatta in January. I just think charging for the shuttles is a bit of nickel and diming. And that, plus the slow internet, was my major complaint with Oceania when we cruised with them previously. I have no problem with the extra charge for excursions.

I laughed at your embarkation story!! Our very first cruise ever was Regatta departing from the Canada Center. It was the worse nightmare and took hours -- never ever repeated since on any Oceania voyage. Since it was our first experience, we thought it was always that bad!

Good reason NOT to cruise Alaska with Oceania, besides the children on board. Until they get their act together we will stay away. :(:(:(

25May – Hubbard Glacier

We were at the Glacier from 12 – 2 pm.

The Captain turns the port-side of the ship towards the glacier for 30 mins & then the starboard side for 30 mins. We were so close & there was so much calving...it was breath-taking.

Disappointed there was no commentary while we were at the Glacier like other cruise lines: Disney, HAL, Princess Entertainment – Cruise Director David Bradshawe “ With a Song in my Heart” ( a tribute to Rodgers & Hart )

Taste of the World – Italy

If you want to be out on deck to see the glacier the entire time, what deck is best?

And finally, you stated that you were very close to Hubbard glacier. How close is that exactly?. I was quite disappointed at how very far from the glacier we were on our recent trip. We had been there before and gotten much closer. We were way too far away to see any calving at all. Weather was not an issue, as the weather was perfect. We were told it was because of some regulation that prevented the ship from getting any closer. But that doesn't make sense unless it is based on the size of the ship.

Vessels rarely get closer than 1/4 mile and that would be unusually close. We were about 1 mile away from the face of Hubbard Glacier several years ago and it felt as though it was just a couple hundred yards. It's hard to judge distance because the glacier is just so huge. Two years ago we only got within 12 miles due to ice.

It would be nice to hear from teemsum if the Captain mentioned how close they were.

If you want to be out on deck to see the glacier the entire time, what deck is best?

Vessels rarely get closer than 1/4 mile and that would be unusually close. We were about 1 mile away from the face of Hubbard Glacier several years ago and it felt as though it was just a couple hundred yards. It's hard to judge distance because the glacier is just so huge. Two years ago we only got within 12 miles due to ice.

It would be nice to hear from teemsum if the Captain mentioned how close they were.

We were over 3 miles away at least, this time. Very disappointing. We were far away from any large ice bergs as far as I could tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk