Prime 7

1035567d&t

My husband and I have our 20th anniversary coming up. We usually sail on HAL in a Neptune suite. We eat steak for dinner every night so we dine in The Pinnacle Grille each night. We have seen the quality of the steaks go down over the years so we are considering trying Regent Seven Seas. We would want to eat every evening in Prime 7. Is that allowed? I read somewhere that you can only dine once in each specialty restaurant. If this is true, is it possible to pay extra for the additional nights? How much?

No way to pay extra except for booking Grand or Master Suite; then you are guaranteed reservations.

Prime 7 is great; always enjoy it. Truthfully, steaks are always available and great in Compass Rose, too.

Marc

As Marc said, you can order excellent steak in the main dining room every night. But you are guaranteed only one P7 reservation. Once on board you can make additional reservations as demand allows. But eating in P7 every night would preclude other passengers from getting additional bookings. There are many many other advantages to cruising Regent or the other luxury lines rather than going mainstream. Space per passenger is a big one. Much more space on the luxury lines therefore no crowding and navigating for advantage with all that entails. Everything is paid for up front, so no crew sales pitches for anything. Others might want to pitch in!!!!

Regent is in the process of changing their menu in Compass Rose (their main dining room). As of today, only the Navigator and Explorer have the new menu (it will be debuted on the Voyager in the fall and the Mariner next year). The "new" menu offers filet mignon and/or lobster every night. (in addition to other delicious items). The quality is wonderful. We recently sailed on the Explorer and realized that we would not care if we never ate in Prime 7 because the offerings in Compass Rose were so good.

As has been said, you are guaranteed one reservation in Prime 7. We will be onboard Regent for the entire month of November and do not plan on dining in Prime 7 more than once (even though we are in a Grand Suite and could have as many reservations as we want). While they have a few unique items (crab legs to be specific), we prefer the many options now offered in Compass Rose.

Not only are there no sales pitches on Regent, there are very few announcements over the PA system. The main announcement is at noon every day when the Captain lets us know the weather and future forecast (including how rough or calm the seas will be).

After sailing on HAL, I am confident that you will love Regent!

Edited by Travelcat2

My husband and I have our 20th anniversary coming up. We usually sail on HAL in a Neptune suite. We eat steak for dinner every night so we dine in The Pinnacle Grille each night. We have seen the quality of the steaks go down over the years so we are considering trying Regent Seven Seas. We would want to eat every evening in Prime 7. Is that allowed? I read somewhere that you can only dine once in each specialty restaurant. If this is true, is it possible to pay extra for the additional nights? How much?

Compass Rose steaks & all offering are FAR above the Pinnacle Grill !!!

No real comparison between HAL & RSS.

You will not be disappointed on RSS!!

I have just left the Explorer - had a fabulous steak in the CR dining room on the 1st night and it was equalled, if not bettered, by the one I had on the last night in Sette Mari.

No need to dine in P7 every night, at all. You will receive great steak all over the ship with Regent.

I would add that the filet mignon that I had in P7 was both enormous and outstandingly good too.

Footnote: There are 3 exceptional dining venues on the Explorer - and there is also Chartreuse, which is ok/average, at best, in my opinion. The quality of food and service in the other 3 venues was far better on our cruise.

Why didn't you enjoy Chartreuse?

While I look forward to learning what Pies4u did not care for in Chartreuse, IMO, what anyone thinks of a dining venue doesn't matter since food is so subjective. Repeat Regent customers are comparing Chartreuse to Signatures (the French dining venue still on the Mariner and Voyager). We did not care for Signatures (except for the mushroom soup and rack of lamb) but like Chartreuse. However, we love Jacques on Oceania (a venue you are quite familiar with). If I had to compare Chartreuse to Jacques, Jacques would win - hands down!

On the other hand, we prefer Sette Mari to Oceania's Toscana and aren't sure how to compare Prime 7 to Oceania's Polo or Pacific Rim to Red Ginger (in all honesty, we do not like "Asian fusion" but prefer authentic Japanese, Chinese or Thai food - properly spiced).

As I just posted on the Oceania board, we have read a post where a couple shared a steak. One person loved it and the other didn't. It is a matter of personal taste. I tend to discount any reviews about food and hope that others will do the same (that includes my reviews as well).

Another highly subjective topic is décor. While we love the décor on the Explorer, it is not something we would have in our home (and the décor on the Oceania small ships reminds me of my grandmothers house). What I do find puzzling is why décor would affect anyone sailing on any ship. We never hear of people not wanting to stay in a particular hotel because they don't like the décor. We live in a house decorated in "cat furniture" and are most comfortable with it. However, I don't expect to find a ship or hotel decorated to our tastes:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Why didn't you enjoy Chartreuse?

Our issue with Chartreuse was that it did not live up to expectations and, overall, the service and quality of food fell below the standards we experienced in other venues. I'll do a full review of what was a marvellous trip on the review forum.

Anyway, we were walked through the ekegsnt looking restaurant and sat at a table for 2 (there were 5 or 6 all similarly placed) facing out to the darkness. The lighting in that area is very poor too. Quite why they would arrange seats like that is a mystery. We also sat at the back of the CR and faced the rest of the restaurant, we noticed that Pac Rim and P7 tables also faced inwards. These tables are situated off the carpeted area and are right up against the windiws btw.

Apparently, as we discovered, we should have been provided with a cocktail/ aperitif, that was never offered to us.

When the food did arrive, there was no chef's special/amuse bouche - not a disaster but disappointing in luxury "French" restaurant. We were not offered a sorbet so I don't know if that was normal, it was a strain to keep turning around in order to see what was happening behind us!

The main course - duck - was, quite frankly, very indifferent. It was a fairly tasteless and bland offering and was barely lukewarm. It was edible and "ok", just nowhere near the heights attained in the other dining venues where we always had terrific food served efficiently and effectively.

I thought the service was slightly aloof and bordering on pompous at times too. That does not happen in the other venues. Yes, it is a formal dining room but exclusive French restaurants still retain a friendly and warm service level. It was not a major catastrophe just an observation but it detracted from the overall experience.

Chartreuse was our 1st speciality dining experience on Explorer (2nd night) & we simply compared it to Signatures on Mariner, which was considerably better in our view. Later, having eaten in Pac Rim & P7 we were able to conclude that Chartreuse lacked any of the style and ambience of the other 2 and the food was not as good as either CR or SM either.

Maybe, if we'd been seated in the middle of the restaurant and can get a better idea of the ambience and you avoid the duck, the impression would have Ben different - but we can only comment on the experience we had. We dined twice in PR and would have done so in P7 had the opportunity arisen.

Consequently, Chartreuse was not our favourite venue - Pac Rim managed to replace SM in that regard. The CR was also outstanding and far busier than its counterpart on Mariner on our April 2015 trip.

We had more enjoyable meals and service everywhere else. It is as simple as that really. Hope that helps.

While I look forward to learning what Pies4u did not care for in Chartreuse, IMO, what anyone thinks of a dining venue doesn't matter since food is so subjective.

I tend to discount any reviews about food and hope that others will do the same (that includes my reviews as well).

TC2, I am sorry to disagree but I like to read other guests reviews of the dining venues, the food & drink offered and the service.

Obviously taste is subjective but most readers can make their own judgements as to the validity of the praise or adverse criticism offered. You are at liberty to discount the reviews of others, but please allow the rest of us to draw our own conclusions

Pies4u, Thank you for a very informative and useful critique of Chartreuse

Piesforu,

I will also thank you for your review of Chatreuse. I think I would have felt as you did in the area you were seated, not being able there to gauge the atmosphere really.

Last year on Mariner we both really enjoyed our meal in Signatures. This year it was good, service outstanding but all we both said that it was good. We wouldn't have rushed back if offered another night there.

Looking forward to you cruise review. Jean.

We will soon be sailing Explorer so I really appreciate your comments and will keep them in mind when we dine in Chartreuse.

Frankly, I tire of hearing that food is 'subjective'. It is not totally subjective nor is service [omissions included]. Other than taking a tape measure or reporting ship's speed, almost everything is subjective. This includes experiences/opinions of staff, management, entertainment, décor, itineray and on and on.

I'm sorry to hear that people were unhappy with Chartreuse.

I was on the Explorer over the summer and had several lovely meals there . . .high quality food, excellent service - no attitude what so ever. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

I did not eat at the back of the restaurant so cannot comment about that.

Peggy

Piesforu,

I will also thank you for your review of Chatreuse. I think I would have felt as you did in the area you were seated, not being able there to gauge the atmosphere really.

Last year on Mariner we both really enjoyed our meal in Signatures. This year it was good, service outstanding but all we both said that it was good. We wouldn't have rushed back if offered another night there.

Looking forward to you cruise review. Jean.

Last year we dined in Signatures whenever we could as we thought it excellent. This year, just OK. We shall try it again in a couple of weeks.

TC, I respectfully disagree that decor is not important. Imo it is a major input as to why one likes or dislikes a hotel, resort or ship. We loved the decor of Nautica, particularly the hall where evening string quartets were played. An attractive staircase with a beautiful sky light.

DW and I always research hotels to see what the ambiance is as we stay more than one night and the environment is important.

Ship cabins may be slightly less important as the size limits choices, but differences are still apparent.

We agree, the pictures of Explorer are not what we would choose, but we will still sail when we find an itinerary we like.

I certainly think that people should post their reviews. My response was meant to be directed to ronrick1943 due his experience on Oceania. In general, I think that food reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Not only because our tastes are different but because, unless someone has had the opportunity to try several offerings in a restaurant, their experience is minimal. This is particularly true of Chartreuse. I've mentioned that my two visits to Pacific Rim were disappointing. However I am not suggesting that this would be the case for anyone else. We will be trying different appetizers and entrees next month and my opinion may change.

newlondon: Certainly people have different tastes in décor and I am learning (from you and a few other posters) that décor matters to some people. Personally, the itinerary, service, food, size of suites and number of dining venues outweigh décor. The reason we do not like the Nautica (we have toured the ship) is the size of the suites - for us this is a deal breaker.

PaulaJK: I have never said that service is subjective but you bring up a good point. It has been explained to me that people from North America have different requirements for "good service" than in some other countries (however, this isn't the right thread to discuss this). I'm sure that if you think about service in countries that you have visited you will recall the differences.

In terms of Chartreuse, we have only dined there once and look forward to doing so again. While we did not sit near the windows in Chartreuse, we did in P7. We found that looking out at the ocean while dining was quite romantic (however, this was during the summer so it was still light which is not the case now). Also, these are considered prime seats so if they want to seat you there, just let them know that you would prefer another area.

I certainly think that people should post their reviews. My response was meant to be directed to ronrick1943 due his experience on Oceania. In general, I think that food reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Not only because our tastes are different but because, unless someone has had the opportunity to try several offerings in a restaurant, their experience is minimal. This is particularly true of Chartreuse. I've mentioned that my two visits to Pacific Rim were disappointing. However I am not suggesting that this would be the case for anyone else. We will be trying different appetizers and entrees next month and my opinion may change.

newlondon: Certainly people have different tastes in décor and I am learning (from you and a few other posters) that décor matters to some people. Personally, the itinerary, service, food, size of suites and number of dining venues outweigh décor. The reason we do not like the Nautica (we have toured the ship) is the size of the suites - for us this is a deal breaker.

PaulaJK: I have never said that service is subjective but you bring up a good point. It has been explained to me that people from North America have different requirements for "good service" than in some other countries (however, this isn't the right thread to discuss this). I'm sure that if you think about service in countries that you have visited you will recall the differences.

In terms of Chartreuse, we have only dined there once and look forward to doing so again. While we did not sit near the windows in Chartreuse, we did in P7. We found that looking out at the ocean while dining was quite romantic (however, this was during the summer so it was still light which is not the case now). Also, these are considered prime seats so if they want to seat you there, just let them know that you would prefer another area.

Jackie, just a quick question. You said " Also, these are considered prime seats so if they want to seat you there, just let them know that you would prefer another area.".

Is there an extra charge for these seats ?

John

Jackie, just a quick question. You said " Also, these are considered prime seats so if they want to seat you there, just let them know that you would prefer another area.".

Is there an extra charge for these seats ?

John

Hi John - no, there is no charge - it is just a popular area. Two of Oceania's restaurants have the same tables by the rear windows. Getting these amazing view seats can be a challenge unless you get there early or are lucky! Keep in mind that Chartreuse and Prime 7 are open for lunch. It is a great time to get one of the view tables.

Hi John - no, there is no charge - it is just a popular area. Two of Oceania's restaurants have the same tables by the rear windows. Getting these amazing view seats can be a challenge unless you get there early or are lucky! Keep in mind that Chartreuse and Prime 7 are open for lunch. It is a great time to get one of the view tables.

Thanks, could not imagine there would be a charge, just wondering.

Did not know about Chartreuse and Prime 7 being open for lunch. Is this just on the Explorer ? Oh and I like the "romantic " part !

John

Greetings, Travelcat2. Our taste in decor also runs toward "dog furniture" and "blankys". We use doggy directed items to our pets happy. For example, a Sherpa pet carrier has been transformed in an Annex. Our two Chihuahuas store toys in it, as well as the occasional uneaten treat. Since both our boys are food hounds, we know the treats will not be around long enough to be problems. Every time I decide to dispose of the Annex, The dogs seem to suspect and pile into it, kind of like illegal squatters. They stare out at us imploringly. It's still here.

Mary