ISIS in the Med

Gray Eagle02

Thank you for posting that interesting article. We are also booked in the Med. and will keep our plans as scheduled, however, I do believe that the threat is keeping some people from booking travel to this area in the foreseeable future.

I have read in a few places that The Daily Mail is a little bit 'overboard' in some of their reporting. That may or may not be true, just saying what I have read. Kind of like The National Enquirer.

Edited by Pam

There is no question that some people we know have cancelled travel plans to not only the Mediterranean but also other parts of Europe. In the end, it's a very personal decision, and that terrorist groups want to create terror around the world. How successful they are and where next is anyone's guess.

Keith

Catpow, I was searching my mind for one of our more "conservative" tabloids. I don't think we have anything to truly compare with the Daily Mail, it is truly more conservative. I just knew it was a little more "dramatic" in its reporting, sometimes. No offense intended.

It is a worry, of course. We have a cruise booked in the Med in April. We are going ahead with our plans. I am sure if thing become too unstable the ships will avoid certain areas. I do wonder if this is the reason why our cruise has been so reduced.

• 3 weeks later...

Our July sailing was drastically re-routed, eliminating Turkey and disembarking in Haifa instead of Istanbul. I'm sure Regent has had many cancellations on this cruise, as most categories are still showing available, fares have been reduced, and Business Class has dropped from $1,299 to $499 to $199.

I agree that if things get real bad, the cruise lines will take whatever precautions necessary to be as safe as possible. Is the risk higher now than it was a year or two ago? Absolutely. Is it high enough to cancel plans? Not in my book. Terrorism can strike anytime, anywhere - but when you look at the statistical probability of being a victim, it's still an incredibly low number IMO.

Barring any major changes, I'm still traveling in July.

Which probably means we'll never see Greece.

If it's any consolation, although there are some beautiful places in Greece and the people are friendly, missing Greece isn't that big of a deal...unless you're looking up family or taking a pilgrimage, I'm sure you can have just as nice a time somewhere else.

:D

If it's any consolation, although there are some beautiful places in Greece and the people are friendly, missing Greece isn't that big of a deal...unless you're looking up family or taking a pilgrimage, I'm sure you can have just as nice a time somewhere else.

:D

Agree completely with your last post but not so much this one. We love the Greek Islands (especially Santorini, Rhodes and Mykonos) and do think that Athens is worth a visit...... once...... just to see the amazing sites. The only island that Regent cancelled last year was Lesbos and that was after the arrival of tens of thousands of refugees.

It is clear that many people are cancelling the Med. this summer -- FDR even addressed it in an interview that I was reading yesterday. Apparently, local cruises (U.S. and Canada) are making up for the loss of passengers in the Med. IMO, this summer is the perfect time to go to the Med. as it may be less crowded. It does get crazy busy in July and August and the heat can be unbearable but sailing there in April, May or September would be beautiful.

Now if Regent would offer US passengers the discount they offered to those in Great Britain we might be ready to go to the Med irregardless of ISIS.

Incidentally(and off topic) we have a great hotel suggestion for those embarking in Rome and not doing Regent's hotel stay.

Agree completely with your last post but not so much this one. We love the Greek Islands (especially Santorini, Rhodes and Mykonos) and do think that Athens is worth a visit...... once...... just to see the amazing sites.

TC, perhaps I was a bit too dismissive earlier. I agree that Athens is worth seeing - once. The second time we docked in Pireaus, we skipped Athens and visited Delphi...now THAT was incredible. And Santorini is definitely unique. My wife and still talk about the donkeys. But for my tastes, Greece is great to visit if it's on your itinerary, but I'd be just as happy in Dubrovnik or Kotor or Ephesus. We've been to several of the islands and frankly, to me they all start to blend together in my memories. Nice trips, but not earth-shattering.

Again, just my opinion and your mileage may vary. :D

Interesting how each person has different perspectives.

We have been to Athens multiple times. We enjoy it more today than the first time. There is a lot to see and explore. You can spend hours just at Acropolis Museum. Even we find revisiting sites is interesting because we find it impossible to take it all in during one visit and even a tour guide can make a difference. As the years have passed, I have learned to take the time to smell each of the roses.

Keith

Well...I see this thread has gone off topic, so please allow me to bring it back on point..

Regent and other cruise lines has practiced due diligence and cancelled ports within ISIL reach for land targets, like Turkey. Which is regrettable to those people, since they bring in a great deal of income from tourism. The Turkish government has noticed and is according to recent LEGITAMATE news sources trying to get this under control. ISIL forces are within reach of prime targets in Egypt and other countries bordering the fanatical states that house them. That also is a sad fact.

As far as that article goes they did cherry pick the entire conversation..google and you will find the rest. Yes, he did say exactly what is quoted, but the time frames and the opportunity to mount this offensive is well at best just speculation. As it stands as far as recent intelligence knows ( again google it - if you want confirmation) - ISIL forces have only limited range "speedboats" if you will. Now, certainly they can hit a target with a hand held rocket launcher from that platform, they have done that before. But, they would have to specifically, track and hunt down a cruise ship and then intercept it in the open water near their home base to be successful.

Again this is all just "at this time". If they get their hands on more advance sea worthy attack ships, then all that changes. But then, the opposing forces would love to pick them off in open international water with cruise missiles. France for one I suspect would love to see how their new destroyers work.

My point is that yes, they can hit anywhere, an example being some idiot just tried to get into Disneyland Paris with a couple of handguns. But with all the ships sailing that Med waters in summer and fall, their is only a slim chance they will hit..

As a more intelligent article quotes the fact that ISIS wants a navy is a vast difference than ISIS has a navy.

Again, this is just my opinion..do the research for yourself!

Edited by drcandon

Now if Regent would offer US passengers the discount they offered to those in Great Britain we might be ready to go to the Med irregardless of ISIS.

I am surprised that a Regent discount would make you feel safer :confused::confused:

The difference in these bargain cruises is that it attracts people that really don't care about it being a luxury cruise line as much as they care about free drinks, gratuities and excursions. If the bargain prices were here in the U.S., I wouldn't sail on the cruises either because it could attract Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean customers that do not know or care about the Regent culture.

I am not sure that level of wealth is a good measure of culture in any country......................I do not think that I would be comfortable sharing a cruise with Kim Kardashian, Silvio Berlusconi, Donald Trump, Roman Abramovich, Cheryl Fernandez-Versini to name but a few :D:D

I am surprised that a Regent discount would make you feel safer :confused::confused:

I am not sure that level of wealth is a good measure of culture in any country......................I do not think that I would be comfortable sharing a cruise with Kim Kardashian, Silvio Berlusconi, Donald Trump, Roman Abramovich, Cheryl Fernandez-Versini to name but a few :D:D

Haha, love it! :D

We really need a like button on these forums :)

We can be at risk from lunatics wherever we are. We can be at risk of terrorist attacks all over the world - London, Paris and of course New York to name but 3.

I am sailing with Seabourn this summer from Venice to Istanbul. I hope they don't cancel the Turkish ports but we will see.

We sailed with Regent to St Petersburg last summer - will Russia be a safe place to visit now as they are dropping bombs all over the place will there be retaliation?

Should we go on holiday to France? they are definitely on the 'hit list'

If we give in to this then we might as well just sit under our kitchen tables and then we give ISIL exactly what they want - drive out the infidels!

A huge disservice is done to Regent when somebody new may stumble upon or be directed to Cruise Critic seeking info or to get a feel for the Regent sailing vibe. Long time CC readers are used to it and find it distasteful but unrelenting. LUXURY LUXURY LUXURY! What is that? It means different things to different people and, by the way, CC classifies Oceania as LUXURY, like it or not. Premium plus, luxury lite, almost sort of luxury.....and then there are those people who probably don't belong on a luxury ship.....for one reason or another as dictated.

Regent seems more than willing to market to and accept the money from anyone who can afford their prices. That's the way it is and that's the way it should be. Unless one has chartered their own ship it is rude to insinuate that perhaps some types of people don't belong on a Regent ship.....like those mainstreamers. If someone can afford it they can afford it......with no helpful hints. It is like "steering" in the real estate business.

Not too long ago, a thread got locked....surprise..... because it had not only gotten off topic but had devolved into another version of this stuff regarding the clients of Regent quietly" sipping" champagne and chocolate martinis while those other mainstream cruiser types partied all night. As a former barmaid, I remember chuckling and thinking that if you strained that one chocolate martini into a line of 4 or 5 shot glasses it would be like the kids ordering a batch of "black and whites". Same booze. Let's stop this appearance of elitism and class business on this board. Once somebody actually sails on a Regent ship, they are likely to have a really nice time and hopefully observe none of what is insinuated on this CC board. And this is really off topic so apologies to the original poster .No sad faces or eeks or confused or cutesy smileys. Everyone should feel and be welcome until they prove that they don't deserve it no matter how much money they spend.

fizzy,

WOW, thanks for your post! Our Regent cruise, by the way the FIRST on Regent, will be our 54th cruise. We have sailed on many, many cruise lines, some a bit snobby and some party ships......we usually had a great time. Since we live in Florida with 5 ports all within driving distance, we cruise a lot on ships we find to be fantastic, but for some I guess not so much. (yep, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, to name a few) We learned very quickly, stay away from spring break and a few other times of the year.

Back to the origin of this post, within the past 2 years we have had Turkey and Greece changed from our itinerary a few times. It was disappointing, but we put our lives in the hands of the Captain and the cruise line and know they want to protect us as well as their vessel.

This year on the REGENT cruise we will be going to Russia and taking the optional trip to Moscow and we have no doubt whatsoever if something does not appear safe to the Captain, he will protect his passengers, crew and ship.

Sometimes I feel our world has gone back in time to when all the countries were trying to be the world ruler. We will keep traveling and seeing our world as long as there is a way to get there and we never put someone's else's life in harms way.

We were in Paris 2 weeks after the terror attack and I cannot tell you how well we were treated by everyone. Many, many reservations were cancelled and it was a topic of discussion by many of the Parisians.

I wish everyone happy, safe travels, what a beautiful world this is!

venicia - thank you for taking us back on topic. You will not find elitism on Regent which is one reason we enjoy sailing on their ships so much. As has been mentioned, it does not matter if you are in the highest or lowest category suite - you will be treated the same.

In terms of sailing in the Med., I think we'll know in a couple of months whether or not the issue of immigrants flooding into Greece and ultimately other countries will occur this year. While I appreciate the fact that there are countries that are opening their borders, more security is definitely needed.

In terms of sailing in the Med., I think we'll know in a couple of months whether or not the issue of immigrants flooding into Greece and ultimately other countries will occur this year. While I appreciate the fact that there are countries that are opening their borders, more security is definitely needed.

I am sure you did not intend to link all immigrants with terrorism, but just for the record:

ISIS: Despite the uninformed rhetoric of the likes of Donald Trump, there is a clear distinction between extremist terror groups such as ISIS and the migrants fleeing from the humanitarian catastrophe resulting from the war in Syria

BORDERS: Most countries in the European Union (not the UK) removed their internal border controls at least 20 years ago in order to facilitate free movement within Europe. Some european countries are now re-introducing border controls in order to a)regularise the flow of migrants and to ensure they are properly registered and b) hinder the movement of potential terrorists and other criminals

Edited by flossie009
additional info

Unfortunately this is a topic that is going to get more and more frequent. With that said everyone makes a decision based on their own risk tolerance.

Personally , I would not put off a trip to Paris or Istanbul anymore than I would put off a trip to New York, Boston, or San Bernadino.