Can we walk to....for Cabo, PV and Mazatlan

Sand and Seas

Are there places close to dock (NCL Jewel) that we can walk to in Cabo, PV or Mazatlan? What would you suggest?

Have been on many Caribbean cruises, but this will be our first to Mexican Riviera. We like to do a little exploring and get some exercise too!

Yes, plenty in Cabo. I would suggest walking around the marina where you will arrive by tender. It is very scenic, great for people watching and checking out the boats. There are many shops and bars/restaurants (with wifi). If you just keep walking, you will come to the beach. You could also take a water taxi out to Land's End and check out Lover's Beach, see the sea lions.

If you go to the Cabo San Lucas trip advisor forum, there is a walking tour listed (two actually) for the town. There seemed to be some interesting things to see listed.

We walk away from the pier in Cabo. Usually end up at the main plaza and look thru the museum.

In PV not much to walk to from port. There is a huge Walmart across the street. We take the bus into town. It's $7.50pesos per person.

Follow the Blue Line into Mazatlan.

ETA-- For PV. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47767572

Edited by SadieN

Ok, so lets talk about walking from the port at PV. You can certainly walk out of the port, to the main road, and cross the street to shop at Walmart, Sam's or the nearby indoor shopping mall (Liverpool is the anchor store). But we do not think this is the way to enjoy Mexico :). If you want to walk from the port into town it will take a fast walker nearly an hour (there are places to stop along the route). I have done the walk from the southside of PV all the way to Walmart (this would be the same distance to the port) and it took a little more then an hour at my normal fast walk. But it can be awfully hot in that Mexican sun. What makes more sense is to take a bus (marked Centro) at least part of the way (the bus only costs 7.5 Pesos). For walkers we would suggest getting off the bus just North of Centro (right before the beginning of the Malecon) and then you can walk the entire length of the Malecon...and then over the bridge to the southside where you can do more walking and exploring.

Hank

I like your post Hlitner, except I would suggest grabbing a cab at the cruise docks and taking it all the way to the new pier in old town, and then walk back North. If you grow tired (or run short of time), then grab a cab back to the cruise terminal (cheaper, and we like "old town" a lot).....oh...and I also might suggest that first timers (or anyone, for that matter) take a bit of time to explore the flea markets on the island on Cuale. Just my $0.02P worth.

Edited by downsized
misspelled Hlitner

Yes, USD work at those ports just fine. I have always been quoted USD from Vendors.

Cabo- above post is right on.

Mazatlan- I can't comment- been there and totally forgot it. Going back in December!

PV- Yes, it is a long walk to town from where we docked but we did it. We cut in after a bit and through a path/drive and hit the beach (you will see the ocean) and did the walk that way. Very pleasant. We stopped and got a couple's massage on the beach just before town. Awesome. $50 for 2. The prices varied but not by too much. It was least expensive the closer we got to town. Anywhere from $65 USD for 2 when we started the walk to the $50 when we stopped and needed a rest. We cabbed it back after having a drink overlooking the ocean and a bit of shopping.

Doing the exact same PV 'excursion' when we are there in December.

The stalls by the ship in PV are nice. I got a beautiful leather purse for $20 USD. Be sure to bargain for things- it's so fun to listen to their spiels! I found them less aggressive than in town.

Edited by sportsmum

You can walk to town, but it's probably better to take the bus (if you are thrifty and want a thrill ride) or a taxi and use your energy to walk along the malecon or around the romantic zone or down the shady Rio Cuale. We walked back from town once and it was a long, hot walk.

Ok, so lets talk about walking from the port at PV. You can certainly walk out of the port, to the main road, and cross the street to shop at Walmart, Sam's or the nearby indoor shopping mall (Liverpool is the anchor store). But we do not think this is the way to enjoy Mexico :). If you want to walk from the port into town it will take a fast walker nearly an hour (there are places to stop along the route). I have done the walk from the southside of PV all the way to Walmart (this would be the same distance to the port) and it took a little more then an hour at my normal fast walk. But it can be awfully hot in that Mexican sun. What makes more sense is to take a bus (marked Centro) at least part of the way (the bus only costs 7.5 Pesos). For walkers we would suggest getting off the bus just North of Centro (right before the beginning of the Malecon) and then you can walk the entire length of the Malecon...and then over the bridge to the southside where you can do more walking and exploring.

Hank

I completely agree with this post. Ive been to PV several times. I used to run along this same route in the early hours of the morning. I'd be dripping when I got back to the hotel, and not from exertion! Walkers will be wearing even more clothing and walking unprotected in that very hot sun later in the day. It begs for bikinis, margaritas and sand, not walking shoes, proper clothes and too-warm sun hats! On the other hand, the malecon is refreshing and has great sights to see. The bus was always fine and comes with its own HOHO buskers hoping for your pocket change. A bit of a cultural experience (or giggle - some are really awful) in itself!

We would never recommend taking a taxi from the port! These taxis are similar to the federale-type taxis at the airport and charge a premium. That is why we recommend walking out of the port to the main road (runs right in front of the gas station) and finding a Yellow Taxi which are less costly. For some in PV this is just a matter of principle :). But I would also stress that when we meet friends at the port (or airport) or take fellow passengers on a tour when on a cruise that stops in PV, we always like to take them on the buses. Experiencing the PV buses is part of the fun (and culture). And you will seldom wait more then 5 minutes for a bus running from near the port to Centro.

Hank

Since you don't have a whole amount of time in port (even more so if you're doing some excursions), personally I would take a taxi and walk around the more interesting sites once you're in town. Taxis are cheap and plentiful. I would echo the previous post about getting a taxi away from the port. Just head left out of the port gates and look for the yellow cabs.

Since you don't have a whole amount of time in port (even more so if you're doing some excursions), personally I would take a taxi and walk around the more interesting sites once you're in town. Taxis are cheap and plentiful. I would echo the previous post about getting a taxi away from the port. Just head left out of the port gates and look for the yellow cabs.

Perhaps. But last year we were on the Veendam when we had a day in PV. We took our 6 tablemates on a "private tour." We were off the ship a little after 9 am, so there was no reason to hurry into Centro since just about everything is still closed at that hour. A taxi would have taken us about 15 min, but we took the bus which probably took closer to 25 min. Nothing wrong with the Yellow Taxis (we use them regularly when we are in residence in PV) but the buses are a real "experience" and part of the fun (and our tour).

I should mention that when I take my morning walks (on the Malecon) I will usually see some cruise ship passengers (this is about 9am). These folks are often on tours (sometimes on their own) and its so early they really have nothing much to do but look around the near empty streets (expect for the early walkers and joggers). But I always get a laugh out of Diamonds International who will open early just for cruise tours. We have never met anyone who lives in PV who has ever set foot in that store, but it is always popular with cruisers.

Hank

We would never recommend taking a taxi from the port! These taxis are similar to the federale-type taxis at the airport and charge a premium. That is why we recommend walking out of the port to the main road (runs right in front of the gas station) and finding a Yellow Taxi which are less costly. For some in PV this is just a matter of principle :). But I would also stress that when we meet friends at the port (or airport) or take fellow passengers on a tour when on a cruise that stops in PV, we always like to take them on the buses. Experiencing the PV buses is part of the fun (and culture). And you will seldom wait more then 5 minutes for a bus running from near the port to Centro.

Hank

I do not to be argumentative, but for those that have never been to PV before, and are on a short timeline, $2 more for a cab at the pier over the cost of a taxi after walking out to the highway, might not be a tremendous burden. As for buses, we too like the buses, but we have been to PV before. We know where to stand and what to look for, and know what bus to grab so that we do not end up at El Rio Barbeque (which is not a bad thing, in itself...but I digress...). Two people $1.00US for the bus, or $8.00US for a cab right at the pier....$6.00US if they walk out to the highway. Really?

My advice remains the same... if it were me, I would grab a cab to the new pier, and slowly make my way back, grabbing a cab back to the cruise terminal if tired, or short of time.

I do not to be argumentative, but for those that have never been to PV before, and are on a short timeline, $2 more for a cab at the pier over the cost of a taxi after walking out to the highway, might not be a tremendous burden. As for buses, we too like the buses, but we have been to PV before. We know where to stand and what to look for, and know what bus to grab so that we do not end up at El Rio Barbeque (which is not a bad thing, in itself...but I digress...). Two people $1.00US for the bus, or $8.00US for a cab right at the pier....$6.00US if they walk out to the highway. Really?

My advice remains the same... if it were me, I would grab a cab to the new pier, and slowly make my way back, grabbing a cab back to the cruise terminal if tired, or short of time.

LOL, I agree with pretty much everything you say. That being said, when we happened to be in PV on a cruise (last year) it was somewhat of an eye opener for us. Our tablemates (we had a fantastic table for our multi-week cruise) had never been to PV or even Mexico. They surprised DW and I by "demanding" that we give them a personal guided tour (to include lots of bars). So we explained the taxi and bus situation and suggested that we could probably get a van/taxi at the port or could certainly just grab two regular taxis. But the entire group quickly made it clear they wanted to use the local buses as they understood they were part of local charm/culture. So we took them on the bus into Centro. Later that day, after the custom tour, we suggested getting two taxis back to the port. Our group quickly shouted down that idea and demanded the bus! We relented and were amazed that everyone was still capable of negotiating that big step into the bus :).

Hank

LOL, I agree with pretty much everything you say. That being said, when we happened to be in PV on a cruise (last year) it was somewhat of an eye opener for us. Our tablemates (we had a fantastic table for our multi-week cruise) had never been to PV or even Mexico. They surprised DW and I by "demanding" that we give them a personal guided tour (to include lots of bars). So we explained the taxi and bus situation and suggested that we could probably get a van/taxi at the port or could certainly just grab two regular taxis. But the entire group quickly made it clear they wanted to use the local buses as they understood they were part of local charm/culture. So we took them on the bus into Centro. Later that day, after the custom tour, we suggested getting two taxis back to the port. Our group quickly shouted down that idea and demanded the bus! We relented and were amazed that everyone was still capable of negotiating that big step into the bus :).

Hank

Hank, to that, I agree. We too, would rather ride the bus and have a tour guide! Cheaper, and without doubt, more entertaining. If we were with an experienced soul, we would jump on whatever bus they did! My post was for those that were at PV for a short time, and had never been there before. The comfort gained by jumping in a cab and being delivered to their desired destination might be worth the few extra dollars.

I remember a long, hot, ride on a dirt road to Todos, when all we wanted was a short trip to Wally's in Cabo.... :)

Hank, to that, I agree. We too, would rather ride the bus and have a tour guide! Cheaper, and without doubt, more entertaining. If we were with an experienced soul, we would jump on whatever bus they did! My post was for those that were at PV for a short time, and had never been there before. The comfort gained by jumping in a cab and being delivered to their desired destination might be worth the few extra dollars.

I remember a long, hot, ride on a dirt road to Todos, when all we wanted was a short trip to Wally's in Cabo.... :)

ROFL. I can identify with your remarks :). Although we have been living in PV for a decade of winters, and use the various bus lines many times a week, we still make occasional mistakes when grabbing a bus (especially the Green buses) on the southside. Last year I was running to Costco to pick up a few things, was not paying attention, and hopped on the wrong bus. It took me out to a Mexican residential area miles from Costco and wasted about 2 hours of my morning :(. In fact, I was so far afield that I finally jumped off the bus and managed to find a taxi to get me over to Costco. But like most who live in PV this is just part of the fun.

However, for a cruiser this could be a real problem. But there should be no fear in getting a bus from in front of the port (you should see Sams and Walmart across the road) as long as it has "Centro" in the window and is headed in the direction of town (towards your right as you look inland from the port). You can also ask the driver "Centro??" and he will nod or say :Si." Getting a bus back to the port is a bit more complicated and one should look for a bus that has "Sams" on the window. We used to say "Walmart" was good enough, but now that we have 2 Walmarts this is no longer a sure thing.

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 weeks later...

Since no one has addressed mazatlan here goes. You can easily walk to downtown. Exit the port area to the street. Follow the blue line painted on the sidewalk and the street. There will be Canadian and American snow birds along the way to guide you and answer any questions. Once downtown there is a lot to see. The beautiful old cathedral is very interesting. Across from the cathedral is the mexican market. It is huge. It takes up an entire city block. Everything under the sun is for sale. It is an amazing cultural experience. You can buy souvenirs here, cooking ingredients, clothing, baked goods, toys, fruits, veggies, smoothies, and on and on. It is not to be missed. Also along the street to the market is a large modern bakery. They serve beautiful pastries and coffee, also Mexican food, it is very popular, for good reason. There are lots of other restaurants in the area for enjoying lunch. When you are ready to go back to the ship you can either follow the blue line back or take a pulmonia, which is sort of a golf cart, cab combination. All this makes for a fun, inexpensive excursion. Try it, you'll like it.

• 1 month later...

We've been to Mazatlan twice. I think a tour twice where we did the cathedral and dropped off at a street of shopping. It doesn't seem memorable. We may have seen the cliff divers.

I don't remember spending any real time in old town. But from some pictures I googled, it looks nice. Kind of like Old San Juan. Is there much there? Little shops, restaurants?

We have a party of 8. One of the open-air trucks may be nice to get. If we got one where should we have it go before dropping us off in old town for lunch or should we go to somewhere on the beach to eat? Any suggestions?

We were on the Jewel just last week. In Cabo we were due to arrive at noon but were cleared to go ashore by 1130. We were a multi generational group of 4 and took the ship sponsored semi sub tour to lands end. As it was a ship tour we could tender on one of the first tenders. Great tour, perhaps more expensive than all the water taxis, but our vessel was bigger so a smoother ride, we didn't have to wear life jackets like the occupants of the small boats, and we could go below to view the fish. After that we walked around the marina area and had lunch at a restaurant with great margaritas and free wifi with purchase. There was a market and many shops.

In Mazatlan we hired an air conditioned taxi for 25 an hour for 4 people and he drove us to the top of a hill so we got a view of old town and our ship, along narrow residential streets with beautiful flowers etc, malecon, cliff divers, downtown, cathedral, and left us at the market. 1.5 hrs so we gave him 35 including tip. Get an English speaking guide!. AC taxi was welcome as it was soooo hot. We wandered around the market for an hour, had lunch upstairs in an almost sketchy restaurant ( 244 peso for 4 meals chicken fajitas with rice and beans and coke/sprite) and then took a pulmonia taxi back to the port for 5 dollars for 4 people. The pulmonia driver was wild and the smells of exhaust and the city were everywhere which made us glad we had chosen an ac taxi earlier! More shopping at the market near the port.

In PV we took a van taxi to the Malecon for 15 dollars for 4 people and then walked along the ocean and shopped in the many stores. Lunch of chicken burger/clubhouse sandwich/ tacos at the Zoo restaurant with margaritas for 4 for 600 pesos including tip, free wifi with purchase. Again very hot (40 deg celcius) and after a few hours my 80 yr old mom was ready to return to the ship. I took her back ($15 taxi for 4 -probably rip off bur we wanted to get back) and then shopped at the market near the port and sat with a Margarita ($6) and a beer ($3) with a view of the ship.

Edited by SA71

So back to Cabo: what is interesting within walking distance of the port. Am not interested in bars or restaurants. Prefer history, culture. Will be walking on my own. (Is that a good idea?)

Is the beach at End of the World accessible via walking?

Adding: I have a whale watch until 3:00p and we arrive at 11:00a. So am looking for maybe an hour and a half at the most.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I realize that this if "off topic" but maybe some seasoned Mexico visitors might help.

I am destined to a land based week in PV in March, 2016.

What, where, and when is the best way to obtain Pesos in exchanged of USD on Mexico?

Should I load up before I travel? Airport? ATM?

Is there an easy way to mentally calculate the Pesos cost in terms of USD?

In Cabo is there is a '30 minute' museum in the main plaza. Quicker to take a panga to the arches, especially if you're short on time.

The shops in PV a few weeks ago were giving around 16-1 when paying in USD. Some restaurants were using 15-1. If you want pesos Walmart was giving 16.55-1 a few weeks ago. Buy your stuff in USD, get change back in pesos. If you need lots of pesos find an ATM. The Cambios were giving around 15.5-1, you'll need your passport.

Edited by SadieN

• 2 weeks later...
I realize that this if "off topic" but maybe some seasoned Mexico visitors might help.

I am destined to a land based week in PV in March, 2016.

What, where, and when is the best way to obtain Pesos in exchanged of USD on Mexico?

Should I load up before I travel? Airport? ATM?

Is there an easy way to mentally calculate the Pesos cost in terms of USD?

You can also often "order" pesos from your hometown bank - depending on where you live, it may take two weeks to get them.

With the current exchange rate average of 16:1, 100 pesos is about six bucks. Something that's 200 pesos would be about $12 in USD, 300 pesos $18.... and so on....

If you do order pesos from the bank, ask for a majority of 200 peso notes - vendors don't often have change for 500 peso notes and some simply won't take them because of counterfeiting issues. (though the 500 peso notes are super cool --- they have Frieda Kahlo on one side and Diego Rivera on the other!!)

So back to Cabo: what is interesting within walking distance of the port. Am not interested in bars or restaurants. Prefer history, culture. Will be walking on my own.
Cabo doesn't have a whole lot of history and culture. It's mostly a resort and party town. However, the area around Plaza Amelia Wilkes is authentic Mexico. It has a quaint plaza with bandstand gazebo. The small Museo de Cabo San Lucas is at the corner of the Plaza. It's small, but has a decent history section of the area. Just off the Plaza is an historic church, Iglesia de San Lucas, which was built in 1730. If you look on Google Maps, you'll see the Plaza to the west of the marina, between Calle Cabo San Lucas and Calle Miguel Hidalgo, at Lazaro Cardenas. Here are a few photos of the area:

3786002019_7ca18522f4_z.jpg

3786836088_acc88ec420_z.jpg

3786853954_9fa83689bb_z.jpg

3786046187_f27b15123a_z.jpg

(EDIT: I have no idea why the photos came out different sizes. I uploaded them all the same. Sorry.)