EPIC Question: Are mens allowed to wear shorts at MDR for dinner?

Supertec

Follow the cruise line dress code....it says shorts are appropriate dress in the most dining rooms and specialty restaurants. On the EPIC that means the Manhattan Room and Le Bistro would be the higher Smart Casual.

From NCL;

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days.

Edited by ray98

From FAQs on NCL website:

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

If you dine in Taste or Savor (smaller dining rooms), you are allowed to wear shorts.

Hi all

Next week we will be aboard EPIC, last year we were at SPIRIT and I can't remember if it was allowed to wear short pants at the MDR at night...

Could you please tell me how it works on EPIC?

Thanks!

Too much incorrect information.

You may NOT wear shorts in the Manhattan Room and Le Bistro.

You may wear shorts in all other dining rooms (complimentary or specialty). Including the Taste MDR.

Too much incorrect information.

You may NOT wear shorts in the Manhattan Room and Le Bistro.

You may wear shorts in all other dining rooms (complimentary or specialty). Including the Taste MDR.

Thank you for the good explanation BirdTravels;)

Hi all

Next week we will be aboard EPIC, last year we were at SPIRIT and I can't remember if it was allowed to wear short pants at the MDR at night...

Thanks!

I went on my first NCL cruise on the Epic in April 2015. I had no idea what to expect on the Miami to Barcelona transatlantic. I was delighted/relieved/overjoyed to discover the completely casual approach onboard. And I fell in love with it.

I took another NCL Epic transatlantic cruise in the fall of 2016 - Barcelona to Port Canaveral. I loved it even more the second time.

I'm going to be onboard the Epic for 27 nights starting October 29 this year (B2B2B). The casual approach - and yes, shorts in most dining rooms - is one of the things I like the most. I look forward to not having to get dressed up for dinner.

Pack your shorts. Wear them. And enjoy yourself. You deserve it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=PugsRuleATL&date=10-29-2017&text=&ship=Norwegian%20Epic

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=PugsRuleATL&date=11-5-2017&text=&ship=Norwegian%20Epic

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=PugsRuleATL&date=11-18-2017&text=&ship=Norwegian%20Epic

Be advised my son was wearing dress shorts with nice shirt and he was told no entry on Spirit ...so do wear slacks for main dining room ...it is not as freestyle as you think

We did go to other dining room ...Truthfully I was surprised by this ....so even dress shorts were not welcome

Be advised my son was wearing dress shorts with nice shirt and he was told no entry on Spirit ...so do wear slacks for main dining room ...it is not as freestyle as you think

We did go to other dining room ...Truthfully I was surprised by this ....so even dress shorts were not welcome

As stated on the NCL website and the freestyle dailies.

It's been said before, I'm not sure why you were surprised by this. It has long been the NCL dress code on the older ships.

Hi all

Thanks!

Only boxer shorts with hearts on them.

On Spirit, shorts are not allowed in the Windows MDR and Le Bistro. Shorts are allowed in the Garden Room MDR and all other dining venues. This is consistent with the other ships in the fleet - one dining room and Le Bistro do not allow shorts, while shorts are allowed in all other dining locations. This info is noted each day in the Freestyle Daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't it in your daily newspaper that you had to wear long pants to the one dining room? It has also been posted on here for as long as I can remember....the more dressy MDR and LeBistro requires long pants, all other venues you can wear shorts to.

How can someone who I assume is an experienced cruiser by your number of posts on here be 'surprised' by this. It is printed in the dailies and standard practice on their published policies that the aft dining room has a slightly higher dress code. I wouldn't have been surprised by this even on my first cruise, it is spelled out.

How can someone who I assume is an experienced cruiser by your number of posts on here be 'surprised' by this. It is printed in the dailies and standard practice on their published policies that the aft dining room has a slightly higher dress code. I wouldn't have been surprised by this even on my first cruise, it is spelled out.

To quote Ron Tater Salad White = " You can't fix stupid".