Even more wine Q's - Navigator/Admiral pack

dakrewser

This is from December. While it's a little out of date, it should be fairly representative.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/395b1726-a042-4c70-849c-102ee97ddb76/9f96e7725ad26c41900884835fde9652

I looked up the ratings for the Navigator package for someone, and the ratings are indicated in the notes. The wines in the Admiral's package are about 4 points higher on average.

POA-1 is our wine expert!!!!

I sure did learn a lot about wines from his post and order accordingly to his suggestions onboard!

We always order the Admirals package and on our last cruise we orderd on board and were able to even get a lot more choices.

Denise:)

POA-1 is our wine expert!!!!

I sure did learn a lot about wines from his post and order accordingly to his suggestions onboard!

We always order the Admirals package and on our last cruise we orderd on board and were able to even get a lot more choices.

Denise:)

Thanks.

If the Franciscan Equilibrium is available, and you are getting the Admiral's package, I'd definitely get a bottle. It's very food-friendly and good on its own as well. If you buy a package, make sure you ask if there are available selections that aren't on the list. They'll help you expand your choices.

This is from December. While it's a little out of date, it should be fairly representative.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/395b1726-a042-4c70-849c-102ee97ddb76/9f96e7725ad26c41900884835fde9652

I looked up the ratings for the Navigator package for someone, and the ratings are indicated in the notes. The wines in the Admiral's package are about 4 points higher on average.

Thanks. The web site cuts off both lists with no way to see them in their entirety.

Thanks. The web site cuts off both lists with no way to see them in their entirety.

Click on the attachment link. It should give you the whole PDF file. It's 8 pages. However, I did type out the list because someone asked for the wine ratings on the Navigator's package. I'll paste the list here:

Navigator's Package

Whites:

Piedra Negra Torrontés, Argentina.

Danzante Pinot Grigio, Italy

Caliterra Chardonnay, Chile

Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, California

Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, California

Danzante Moscato, Italy

Reds:

Puerto Viejo Carmenere Chile

Frescobaldi Remole, Italy

Chateau de Trois Tours Bordeaux, France

Deakin Estate Shiraz, Australia.

Los Riscos Merlot, Chile

Tapena Tempranillo, Spain

Deakin Estate Pinot Noir, Australia

Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile

Admiral's Package

Whites:

Tangley Oaks Chardonnay, California

Grace Lane Riesling, Washington

Estancia Pinot Grigio, California

Franciscan "Equilibrium" White Blend, California

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, France

Hayman & Hill Chardonnay, California

Reds:

Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, California

Wente" Sandstone" Medot, California

Estancia Pinot Noir California

Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Italy

Decero Cabernet Sauvignon, Argentina

Cuarto Uominio Lote 44 Malbec, Argentina

Wente "Beyer Ranch" Zinfandel, California

Thanks.

If the Franciscan Equilibrium is available, and you are getting the Admiral's package, I'd definitely get a bottle. It's very food-friendly and good on its own as well. If you buy a package, make sure you ask if there are available selections that aren't on the list. They'll help you expand your choices.

As the resident wine expert, would you advise how sweet/dry is the Franciscan Equilibrium?

Thank you!

Question.... The current Admirals package is $309. Is there a gratuity charge on top of that? We usually bring our own wine and pay the corkage. This time I will be traveling with my mom who is a 4 star, so she gets a discount. With her discount, the package might make logistical sense. Just looking at options.

Question.... The current Admirals package is $309. Is there a gratuity charge on top of that? We usually bring our own wine and pay the corkage. This time I will be traveling with my mom who is a 4 star, so she gets a discount. With her discount, the package might make logistical sense. Just looking at options.

Yes, gratuity should be on top of the price. One thing to be aware of is that, when one has the Mariner discount, the gratuity is calculated on the gross cost of the package. So, if your package is $309 and you get the 4 star discount of 50%, your total cost should be $200.85 (309/2)+(309*15%).

I don't know for sure, but it is possible that there could be additional taxes depending on where/when you opt to receive the package. If you opt to receive the package in your cabin on embarkation day, you could be charged a state tax. If you wait until you're out at sea, there would be no additional taxes. However, as I said, I'm not 100% sure about it so someone will, hopefully, be able to clarify that.

As the resident wine expert, would you advise how sweet/dry is the Franciscan Equilibrium?

Thank you!

The 2013, which is what they were pouring in December, is 72% Sauvignon Blanc, 17% Chardonnay, & 11% Muscat. The sweetness of the Muscat doesn't really come into play. It's a fairly dry white, with the Chardonnay and Muscat taking some of the acid and tartness off the Sauvignon Blanc. I think it's a really food friendly wine. If you had it and a decent Pinot Noir or maybe a red Meritage, there's almost no food you couldn't pair.

Yes, gratuity should be on top of the price. One thing to be aware of is that, when one has the Mariner discount, the gratuity is calculated on the gross cost of the package. So, if your package is $309 and you get the 4 star discount of 50%, your total cost should be $200.85 (309/2)+(309*15%).

I don't know for sure, but it is possible that there could be additional taxes depending on where/when you opt to receive the package. If you opt to receive the package in your cabin on embarkation day, you could be charged a state tax. If you wait until you're out at sea, there would be no additional taxes. However, as I said, I'm not 100% sure about it so someone will, hopefully, be able to clarify that.

You're absolutely correct. The service charge is added to the package price. I don't remember if the gratuity is calculated before or after the Mariner discount.

Once you hit 3 stars, it makes the packages pretty reasonable. Once you hit 4*+, the packages are a pretty good deal. I'd still take my own wine out of Port Everglades, but if we had to fly to meet up with a ship - and I didn't have a good wine shop handy - I'd seriously look at the packages.

One thought is that they won't always have the one wine that you want. Last year on the second half of Amsterdam's WC I ordered a 12-bottle Navigator package. Chose a nice Merlot. At about the 6th bottle they ran out of that so I chose another. After 3 bottles of that they ran out again and the wine steward said I could choose any wine available up to $59 per bottle so I chose an excellent Malbec. I assume this is more likely to happen on longer or Grand Voyages but with the 4-star discount I was a happy cruiser.

One thought is that they won't always have the one wine that you want. Last year on the second half of Amsterdam's WC I ordered a 12-bottle Navigator package. Chose a nice Merlot. At about the 6th bottle they ran out of that so I chose another. After 3 bottles of that they ran out again and the wine steward said I could choose any wine available up to $59 per bottle so I chose an excellent Malbec. I assume this is more likely to happen on longer or Grand Voyages but with the 4-star discount I was a happy cruiser.

Good point. You can always have your wine held or sent to your stateroom. (We chose the latter.) It ready depends on how committed you are to a particular bottle. It's kind of a crap shoot. Sometimes the substitute wines are better. Sometimes they're meh.

Does anyone know about the tax issue? The only reason I put that in the post above is because I heard about it on my Med cruise a few years ago. Someone was charged more for a wine package that they purchased, prior to departure, in Barcelona than what another paid for the same package after leaving FLL. I'm sure I had read prior to that that one need to purchase the items for delivery at sea or purchase while in "international" waters so that there would be no added tax.

The 2013, which is what they were pouring in December, is 72% Sauvignon Blanc, 17% Chardonnay, & 11% Muscat. The sweetness of the Muscat doesn't really come into play. It's a fairly dry white, with the Chardonnay and Muscat taking some of the acid and tartness off the Sauvignon Blanc. I think it's a really food friendly wine. If you had it and a decent Pinot Noir or maybe a red Meritage, there's almost no food you couldn't pair.

Thank you. We're not fond of dry wines so I might pass on this one. We did enjoy the Grace Lane Riesling on our last cruise, though.

Thank you. We're not fond of dry wines so I might pass on this one. We did enjoy the Grace Lane Riesling on our last cruise, though.

If your tastes lean toward the sweeter end of the spectrum, there's a straight up Moscato on the list. Give it a shot. If you're nice, most of the wine stewards will taste you on any wine on the list. (Sounds dirty, but it's not.)

Could the wine expert tell me what he thinks of the Danzante Moscato? I mean besides "straight up".

Not a dry wine, so this was completely stunning to my taste. Don't laugh, eh?

I thought it a bit of a strange choice, though, for the package.

Thanks

Edited by SilvertoGold

If your tastes lean toward the sweeter end of the spectrum, there's a straight up Moscato on the list. Give it a shot. If you're nice, most of the wine stewards will taste you on any wine on the list. (Sounds dirty, but it's not.)

Oooh, it's sooo hard not to make a comment about the wine stewards tasting me that won't tick someone off!!!:D

Thanks for the recommendation on the Moscato. I'll keep that in mind for our next HAL cruise (next cruise is a river cruise). BTW, might you have any recommendations for French wines that lean toward the sweeter end?

If you're nice, most of the wine stewards will taste you on any wine on the list.

What? There's more than one wine stewart in the MDR now? Biggest complaint of our last few HAL cruises was the decided lack of wine stewarts..

What? There's more than one wine stewart in the MDR now? Biggest complaint of our last few HAL cruises was the decided lack of wine stewarts..

There are definitely fewer wine stewards in the MDR, but we talked to one every night on our last cruise. She seemed to have a lot of time to chat.

There are most definitely 5 or 6 wine stewards on each level of the dining room. They only serve people who order wine by the bottle or bring their own bottles. The regular dining room stewards or their assistants serve all other guests who order by the glass.

Could the wine expert tell me what he thinks of the Danzante Moscato? I mean besides "straight up".

Not a dry wine, so this was completely stunning to my taste. Don't laugh, eh?

I thought it a bit of a strange choice, though, for the package.

Thanks

I am not the wine expert you mentioned, but am a devoted Oenophile :). As to the Danzante Moscato, I will be kind and say that stuff offends my senses. But for somebody that likes sweeter wines it might be less offensive.

Hank