Westerdam Dry Dock Fire @ Palermo Shipyard, Italy

need2cruisesoon

I went up to the top of my ship (Aegean Odyssey) and could see the Westerdam but she's a long way away. I took some photos -- it looks like there's a dark patch (fire damage?) on the outside of the ship, just about a third of the way back from the bow and affecting several floors. Unfortunately I can't post them at this moment.

Does that match up with the earlier photo(s)?

... just about a third of the way back from the bow and affecting several floors. ... Does that match up with the earlier photo(s)?
In the pics in post #1 the smoke appears to be above the point where the side "juts out". If the pics are of the starboard side, that would put the smoke about 1/4 of the way from the bow. If the pics are port side, then 1/4 of the way from the stern. Which side were you looking at?

In the pics in post #1 the smoke appears to be above the point where the side "juts out". If the pics are of the starboard side, that would put the smoke about 1/4 of the way from the bow. If the pics are port side, then 1/4 of the way from the stern. Which side were you looking at?

From my vantage point, I was looking at her starboard side, so it could be about right.

I just spoke to Cindy of Holland America and she says IF something happened, they will get it cleared up and brand-spanking new in time...as she and her supervisors were not aware of any incident occurring yesterday. (That's not to say there was no fire, but that if it was major, HA staff would be well aware already before my call -- I advised her of this thread in case cruise lines actually pop in to clarify information...I'm guessing that is not standard practice.)

If there is anything of consequence that does affect us, then we will definitely be contacted via email and made aware as soon as it becomes an issue.

Hi everyone!

According to a spokesperson with Holland America, there is no impact on the dry dock and Westerdam should sail as scheduled tomorrow, April 26.

Happy Cruising!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

There are actual daily updated pictures of the remodeling process of Westerdam on Facebook and nothing indicates a delay or a problem during the yard work in Palermo. Pictures are made by a bar attendant on board, search for Peter Banaag if you are interested.

Since this is an employee of HAL, actual existence of a fire or a problem that occurred earlier, could of course be kept out of the spotlights, so no guarantee that everything is without problems.

There are actual daily updated pictures of the remodeling process of Westerdam on Facebook and nothing indicates a delay or a problem during the yard work in Palermo. Pictures are made by a bar attendant on board, search for Peter Banaag if you are interested.

Since this is an employee of HAL, actual existence of a fire or a problem that occurred earlier, could of course be kept out of the spotlights, so no guarantee that everything is without problems.

Interesting pics. Thanks for the link.

Some of us don't belong to Facebook. Wish someone would post pictures here.

Hi there! We have been in touch with a confirmed source at the cruise line and they've given us this statement to post.

"Sunday, April 23, 2017, while in drydock in Italy with no guests aboard, a fire occurred on a verandah aboard ms Westerdam located on starboard deck seven. It was quickly extinguished. Repairs are scheduled to be made in drydock and the ship will depart as planned with guests on its scheduled April 27 cruise from Civitavecchia to Venice, Italy."

Also, please confirm for yourselves the source of all photos. The initial photos are believed to have been from a 2003 incident. Let us know if you have any questions.

Also, please confirm for yourselves the source of all photos. The initial photos are believed to have been from a 2003 incident. Let us know if you have any questions.

The initial photos are from 4/23 fire, source "Fincantieri Cantieri Palermo Shipyard FB" page.

westerdam%20brand%201.jpgwesterdam%20brand%202.jpg

Looks pretty BAD to me

The original OP advised that he got his pictures directly from the shipyard..

Your pictures, we are told are from the 2003 fire? Where did you dig yours up?

I'm trying hard to understand why someone would use 14 year old pictures..

Unless you actually thought these were the present pics..:confused:

I did a Google search & found the site of your pictures & it clearly states the pictures you posted are from 2003.. IMO it's important to vet them for accuracy before posting erroneous info..

You have scared quite a few people here..

Edited by serendipity1499

The original OP advised that he got his pictures directly from the shipyard..

Your pictures, we are told are from the 2003 fire? Where did you dig yours up?

I'm trying hard to understand why someone would use 14 year old pictures..

Unless you actually thought these were the present pics..:confused:

I did a Google search & found the site of your pictures & it clearly states the pictures you posted are from 2003.. IMO it's important to vet them for accuracy before posting erroneous info..

You have scared quite a few people here..

Sorry to have caused heartburn but since we are booked on her this summer the photos caused me heartburn too until it was clarified. Just googled 2017 Westerdam fire in Palermo shipyard and same photos came up with NO indication what year they were from. So, you are correct in that I actually thought and they were shown as present pics:halo:

The Westerdam was in DRY DOCK at the time of the fire. The word DRY should give a good clue that the 2003 pictures posted were not dry dock. The ship is clearly sitting in a very wet harbour, tied up to a dock. Fake News !!!