Wine Corkage Fees!!

Max Circus

I've been so interested in the "nickel and diming" comments about Room Service and other new fees. I started looking around on the NCL website and they have added the new Room Service policy there. In addition, I found this about corkage fees. I always found the NCL policy pretty good. Bring as much wine as you want onboard, you just pay the $15/bottle corkage.

Note the line in "red" which I found very surprising. You can "gift" someone champagne, and they will still need to pay corkage.

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area. Wine & Champagne Policy Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

So...it is true, they will charge $15 for each bottle you may bring for consumption in the stateroom? When/how do they charge you? Do you "declare" it at time of boarding? I think they are really pushing it with this charge...

So...it is true, they will charge $15 for each bottle you may bring for consumption in the stateroom? When/how do they charge you? Do you "declare" it at time of boarding? I think they are really pushing it with this charge...

Somewhere along the way (generally just after security screening) there will be table set-up for those carrying their wine onto the ship themselves. Stickers are places on the bottles and a charge slip is written-up with your name, room number, number of bottles. If your wine is in your suitcase(s), then you will be contacted onboard to go through the process.

I think it's pretty fair! Carnival allows 2 free bottles, but that's it. We bring on several bottles of wine, and are happy to pay corkage, and enjoy them anywhere on the ship. Other lines will charge even more per bottle if you want to drink them at restaurants.

I think it's pretty fair! Carnival allows 2 free bottles, but that's it. We bring on several bottles of wine, and are happy to pay corkage, and enjoy them anywhere on the ship. Other lines will charge even more per bottle if you want to drink them at restaurants.

$15 fee per bottle is better than FREE?

Has Norwegian always charged corkage fees for wine brought onboard or is it a new thing? Trying to keep up with all of Norwegians fees is a full time job!

I think they are really pushing it with this charge...
They have been pushing it for several years now, along with almost all other mainstream cruise lines that also charge corkage and/or limit the amount of wine that passengers can carry on board. Some charge up to $25 per bottle. Some only allow one or two bottles, and if you want more, you have to buy it from the ship.

I know NCL has demonstrated some creativity in inventing new charges lately, but their wine corkage policy is not new and it pretty middle-of-the-road compared to other lines.

They have been pushing it for several years now, along with almost all other mainstream cruise lines that also charge corkage and/or limit the amount of wine that passengers can carry on board. Some charge up to $25 per bottle. Some only allow one or two bottles, and if you want more, you have to buy it from the ship.

I know NCL has demonstrated some creativity in inventing new charges lately, but their wine corkage policy is not new and it pretty middle-of-the-road compared to other lines.

i have paid corkage fee a few times, but even though its $15 a bottle I know its wine i enjoy. I don't always enjoy the wines on board, I a semi dry person and I found them either too oakey or too sweet and even with the corking fee I'm still paying less for the wine they sell on board. I found a moscato that I enjoy during the jazz brunch, its $49 a bottle, the same one local is $11.99 add the corking fee I'm still spending less. Just food for thought. cheers

When we cruised in Europe we would buy inexpensive wine at the local grocery store and pay the corkage. We bought some great wines for very little money, so an extra $15 dollars was not too bad. Celebrity Cruise line only allows you to bring on two bottles the very first day. (free)

Royal Caribbean allows you to bring 2 bottles on board with no corkage fee. I do wish NCL would do the same.

How much does RCCL charge after the 2 free bottles?

Eta - my first NCL cruise was 10 years ago, and the fee is the same as it was back then.

Edited by mjkacmom

I agree. I was shocked when I read about the corkage fee since I have never paid a fee on Royal Caribbean or Carnival.
Up until last fall, RCI supposedly charged $25 per bottle in dining rooms/public lounges. They have now eliminated this fee, but they have a limit of 2 bottles per cabin for the whole cruise. If two bottles is enough for you, this policy is great. If you generally drink more wine than that during your cruise (especially longer cruises), NCL's policy is better.

Carnival allows one bottle per person, but if you want to drink it in a dining room or restaurant, there is a $10/$14 corkage fee. Again, if you are happy with one bottle per person, and you want to drink it in your cabin, this policy is great. If you drink more than that, and you also enjoy having wine with your meals, NCL's policy is better.

Almost ALL mass market lines either charge a corkage fee or simply prohibit bringing alcohol of any kind, including wine, on board.

All wine must be carried on board. It cannot be sent through checked luggage. All bags are X-Rayed. Checked luggage with bottles in it, are held and have to be claimed. You either pay the charge then or surrender teh alcohol until disembarkation.

The same thing happens with carry on bags. You pay as you go through security, or they hold the alcohol until the end of the cruise.

These charges have been around for years and are not new at all. Alcohol sales are a major profit source, and this makes up for you not buying a wine bottle on board.

Almost ALL mass market lines either charge a corkage fee or simply prohibit bringing alcohol of any kind, including wine, on

board.

Actually, Royal Caribbean does not charge a corkage fee if not opened in a restaurant/bar. And neither does Carnival. Of course, this is wine only. DCL is also mass market and you CAN bring liquor on. Of course, the cost of the cruise is much higher.

How much does RCCL charge after the 2 free bottles?

Eta - my first NCL cruise was 10 years ago, and the fee is the same as it was back then.

Two bottles/cabin is the limit on Royal. Any more than that will be impounded and returned at the end of the cruise.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqType=faq

Is there a bottle limit on NCL?

Edited by pspercy

NCL has for as long as we can remember, going back 12+ years, charged a corkage fee for wine.

As Platinum, we got 2 bottles of wine - i.e. the Meriden we took, unopened, was priced at $29 each for the 750 ml on the ship + 18% gratuity if purchased. If you bring that to the port & board, the corkage stamp would be $15 + the retail purchase price, around here @ about $12 - so you will still come out ahead - like getting an extra glass free. Not-wise if you are flying in & have to make an extra stop picking them up en route to the pier, but as locals to the home port - this is one way to stretch one's liquid budget.

Liquor on ships & land-based restaurants always carry a high mark-up and excellent profit margins - it is what it is & well established.

i have paid corkage fee a few times, but even though its $15 a bottle I know its wine i enjoy. I don't always enjoy the wines on board, I a semi dry person and I found them either too oakey or too sweet and even with the corking fee I'm still paying less for the wine they sell on board. I found a moscato that I enjoy during the jazz brunch, its $49 a bottle, the same one local is $11.99 add the corking fee I'm still spending less. Just food for thought. cheers

What is the name of the $49 Moscato wine that they carry on board?

I recently read on some post that RCI has dropped their corkage fee.

Yes, as said (and linked) in post #20 just couple of posts above yours, RCI doesn't have corkage fee anymore and the limit is two bottles per stateroom for the whole cruise.

If I compare that to NCL, even if the corkage fees for the first two bottles are considered "extra", we come a lot ahead with NCL's policy since we drink wine usually at least one bottle per day (dinner) so bringing our own is a lot cheaper than having to pay list price for all bottles after day 2 per RCI policy.