A different type of Rome on Your Own ship's tour

pcur

Why didn't someone think of this sooner?

NCL has a tour from Civitavecchia to Rome that uses the train instead of a bus. It was wonderful! No traffic to slow you down, a private tour guide that goes with you, and during the ride helps each person to plan their day. Comfortable, not crowded because of the early 9am train.

We got off at St. Pietro Station, and the guide walked the rest of the group to the Vatican. We took the #64 bus that is literally outside the station door, and goes over to Piazza Venezia (Capitolini Museums), and a short walk down the hill to the Colosseum.

After we got on the hop on/off bus and saw more of Rome.

Then, the bus back to the train station.

Met at the meeting point at the station, and another quiet ride back to the Civitevecchia station.

Included was a shuttle to and from the ship to the Civit station.

To help us navigate, I had an app on my iphone that was a lifesaver the entire 2.5 weeks of our trip. It's called Moovit, and it will help you plan a public transportation trip ANYWHERE in the WORLD! Gives you the bus stop to go to, tracks your trip, tells you what stop to get off at, and then gives you a walking path to your destination. Works with metro systems, too, trains, and ferries.

You need an international data plan to use it for navigation, but I will never go to a foreign country again with my Telestial Intenational SIM card and data plan.

Anyway, the day was wonderful, and the trip back and forth stress-free. NO traffic!!!!

How much was it?

$179 per person, which is about what the bus transpo costs. The personalized planning on the train was terrific.

Plus, we pre-booked our Colosseum tickets online (they are not time-specific, so no pre-scheduled time), and we purchased the hop on/off tickets online.

Various cruise lines have been offering this for several years. It's expensive but easy.

I haven't been in the Western Med for quite a few years, and I find this is a vast improvement over the bus transportation. These "on your own" tours do cost $150 - $200 per person, but when you have 1 day and need to minimize your commute and stress, I loved this option.

I've done Rome from Civitavecchia in a private car, and the traffic was so bad getting in that we literally drove quickly by many of the places with a "OK, that's the so-and-so", then off to the next place. And, I've done an "on your own" by bus, and ended up feeling rushed because of the traffic delays.

This time with the train, we had a wonderful lunch near the Vatican on our way back to the train station in the afternoon.

I agree that train is the ideal way to commute between Civitavecchia and Rome for a port day visit, when you have no luggage to deal with, for all of the reasons you've mentioned.

The cost of taking the train on your own is between €5 - €16 per person, each way or roughly between $11 - $33, round trip. That allows you to compute the cost of the ease offered by the cruise line tour (shuttle from ship to train and back, dedicated train rather than crowded commuter car) and decide if it's worth it to you for the convenience.

For a few years there was another operator offering a private train transfer from Civitavecchia to the San Pietro train station and back, open to all cruise lines. I just checked their web site and it's no longer offered, so I guess the business wasn't big enough to support the costs. It was a compromise for passengers, it offered the shortest day in Rome because it didn't leave until the last ship got into port and it returned in time for the first one leaving. The cruise line specific trains are at least timed to maximize your day.

I agree that train is the ideal way to commute between Civitavecchia and Rome for a port day visit, when you have no luggage to deal with, for all of the reasons you've mentioned.

The cost of taking the train on your own is between €5 - €16 per person, each way or roughly between $11 - $33, round trip. That allows you to compute the cost of the ease offered by the cruise line tour (shuttle from ship to train and back, dedicated train rather than crowded commuter car) and decide if it's worth it to you for the convenience.

It definitely was for us. I'm leery of Italian trains and their "scheduling" issues, and my friend is not a calm traveler. Knowing we were on a ship's tour made her enjoy the day more.

Italian rail strikes are announced in advance, the official site has been given here many times.

I could never see paying in excess of $150 more per person above the cost of a simple train ticket for the privilege of taking the train, especially since no guide was included. For that cost x 2 you could almost have a private car and driver for the day. But to each his own....

(I do agree this option has been out there for at least the last 4-5 years, but the price has certainly gone up; which only goes to show it's valuable to some. :cool:.)

Italian rail strikes are announced in advance, the official site has been given here many times.

I could never see paying in excess of $150 more per person above the cost of a simple train ticket for the privilege of taking the train, especially since no guide was included. For that cost x 2 you could almost have a private car and driver for the day. But to each his own....

(I do agree this option has been out there for at least the last 4-5 years, but the price has certainly gone up; which only goes to show it's valuable to some. :cool:.)

The.Guide.Was.Included......she rode on the train with us and help everyone plan their day, making phone calls, and facilitating.

The shore excursion was an "on your own" tour; just like the bus tours, but using the train.

The.Guide.Was.Included......she rode on the train with us and help everyone plan their day, making phone calls, and facilitating.

The shore excursion was an "on your own" tour; just like the bus tours, but using the train.

When it's just 1 or 2 people traveling together or even a group of 4/5 that are each adult self paying individuals I think this is a great option and good for you for doing it!!!

Once it becomes say a family of 2 parents and a couple of kids...the best option in my book is to get a private driver for the day for perhaps $600 in total sometimes slightly less

The cost of the 2 types of trips is competitive too but for 1 or 2 adults....then this ships tour is great.

Fwiw....I will dyi...when appropriate....I will private tour when appropriate and I will ships tour when appropriate

E.g. The ships tour on the ruby princess in Istanbul a few years ago was better priced and offered better venues with admission and lunch included plus the private Tuesday opening of the topkapi for us

I say this to stress that the savvy ....knows to explore all options

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When it's just 1 or 2 people traveling together or even a group of 4/5 that are each adult self paying individuals I think this is a great option and good for you for doing it!!!

Once it becomes say a family of 2 parents and a couple of kids...the best option in my book is to get a private driver for the day for perhaps $600 in total sometimes slightly less

The cost of the 2 types of trips is competitive too but for 1 or 2 adults....then this ships tour is great.

Fwiw....I will dyi...when appropriate....I will private tour when appropriate and I will ships tour when appropriate

E.g. The ships tour on the ruby princess in Istanbul a few years ago was better priced and offered better venues with admission and lunch included plus the private Tuesday opening of the topkapi for us

I say this to stress that the savvy ....knows to explore all options

I agree completely. I just want readers to know this is a great option if one is looking at the "on your own" ship's tour. The train is a much better transportation option.

Since our NCL cruise had a shore excursion credit included, I compared all the DIY and private tours. The cost was pretty much the same after our discount, and I knew my friend would feel more comfortable with a ship's tour. This was her first trip in 40 years to Europe, so I wanted her to feel comfortable.

The exception was in Naples. I posted on another thread about this tour. It was with Viator, and it was just hands-down fabulous. So, I agree that lots of research is needed, especially on a port-intensive European cruise.

$179 per person, which is about what the bus transpo costs. The personalized planning on the train was terrific.

Plus, we pre-booked our Colosseum tickets online (they are not time-specific, so no pre-scheduled time), and we purchased the hop on/off tickets online.

We assume you are aware that a BIRG ticket (round trip regional train between Civitavecchia and Rome) plus unlimited use of Rome's transportation system (Metro and buses) costs about 12€! The regular train takes about 50 min to get to that same S Pietro station. So a couple can save about $340 by simply using the regular trains versus that excursion,

Hank

We assume you are aware that a BIRG ticket (round trip regional train between Civitavecchia and Rome) plus unlimited use of Rome's transportation system (Metro and buses) costs about 12€! The regular train takes about 50 min to get to that same S Pietro station. So a couple can save about $340 by simply using the regular trains versus that excursion,

Hank

I am aware of all of this. As I said before, this is an alternative if someone has ALREADY decided to go on a ship's tour. Also, I steer clear of independent Italian train travel. Too many bad experiences reported by posters and my family about it.

I agree completely. I just want readers to know this is a great option if one is looking at the "on your own" ship's tour. The train is a much better transportation option.

Since our NCL cruise had a shore excursion credit included, I compared all the DIY and private tours. The cost was pretty much the same after our discount, and I knew my friend would feel more comfortable with a ship's tour. This was her first trip in 40 years to Europe, so I wanted her to feel comfortable.

The exception was in Naples. I posted on another thread about this tour. It was with Viator, and it was just hands-down fabulous. So, I agree that lots of research is needed, especially on a port-intensive European cruise.

Good to hear about Viator. Others will now post that they aren't actually running the tours but are just a middleman. Which is true but I'm booked on several Viator programs on my next trip and glad I am. I want to prepay as much this trip as possible and we are not a big enough group to warrant private tours. I also don't want the hassle this trip of paying in cash

My take on Viator is that for the most part even though you could book the same tour on your own...I researched it...I found that on your own some prices were actually higher or unavailable due to the tour op contracting through Viator on a particular day

Plus, when a tour op goes through Viator for their customers I feel they will definitely do a top notch job or risk Viator not promoting them any longer

Face it, the Viator advertising is massive for a local tour operator, versus just having your own website and hoping people will find it online. Lol

Others on this board will now disagree but so be it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Plus, when a tour op goes through Viator for their customers I feel they will definitely do a top notch job or risk Viator not promoting them any longer

Face it, the Viator advertising is massive for a local tour operator, versus just having your own website and hoping people will find it online. Lol

You can think it if you like but my experience with Viator tours in Rome has been 0 for 2. Not because they are a middleman, but because the tours were either below average or not as advertised.

On one tour, my booked tour was cancelled at the last minute, with no notification to me until I showed up at the meeting point. Then I got a hassle about getting a return (company wanted to book me on a different tour instead -- one I had no interest in.)

On another tour, there were three different language groups -- guide had to go through all three languages at each stop; total PITA and the other passengers were not respectful when the guide was giving the English info so it was difficult to hear.

Hopefully your mileage will vary.... :cool:

You can think it if you like but my experience with Viator tours in Rome has been 0 for 2. Not because they are a middleman, but because the tours were either below average or not as advertised.

On one tour, my booked tour was cancelled at the last minute, with no notification to me until I showed up at the meeting point. Then I got a hassle about getting a return (company wanted to book me on a different tour instead -- one I had no interest in.)

On another tour, there were three different language groups -- guide had to go through all three languages at each stop; total PITA and the other passengers were not respectful when the guide was giving the English info so it was difficult to hear.

Hopefully your mileage will vary.... :cool:

Too bad but I always reconfirm so if something is cancelled I'll know

I woukd just dispute the charge if I didn't get a prompt refund too

The tours I booked all get great reviews also

I'm not too concerned about problems but thanks anyway for questioning my post.

I totally agree with it! I don't see any problem using local transportation system even with a family. I'd prefer to save this 340$ then to waste it on this kind of excursion. Or to have a private guide with us for the whole day. But not to have somethng in the middle..

The poster who started this thread did not consider it a waste and she was only paying for herself anyway

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what she chose either

She was not upset with what she paid either so for you to call it a waste really isn't relevant

It was not a waste to her, nor would it be for me if I wanted this sort of excursion, just because it's a waste to you doesn't mean it's wrong to do this excursion

Too bad but I always reconfirm so if something is cancelled I'll know

I woukd just dispute the charge if I didn't get a prompt refund too

The tours I booked all get great reviews also

I'm not too concerned about problems but thanks anyway for questioning my post.

Please do not dismiss CM42's experience with a blithe "I reconfirmed so my tours went on." What part of "last minute" do you not understand? You can certainly reconfirm 24 hours in advance, but that does not mean it won't still be cancelled right up until you get to the meeting place. But, thank you for dismissing her experience...

People will buy whatever they buy because they are comfortable. Some need the full "in the bubble" private car experience, some go totally joyfully DIY, and some somewhere in between. If someone did not want to totally DIY because they are uncomfortable making reservations online or over the phone in a foreign country, I guess I could see paying 10x the normal train fare to have someone onboard to help them for a few minutes to line up things.

Oh, both Cruisemom42 and I are solo travelers...

I am aware of all of this. As I said before, this is an alternative if someone has ALREADY decided to go on a ship's tour. Also, I steer clear of independent Italian train travel. Too many bad experiences reported by posters and my family about it.

The tales of Italian train travel are horribly exaggerated here in CC (and elsewhere). We have over thirty years experience and have seldom had any issues with Italian trains. You will read here on CC about train strikes...but the truth is that nearly all strikes are announced far in advance. I have heard of a lot more horror stories about excursions...then the Italian trains. In fact, we have had more issues with the French trains then in Italy :). The secret to independent travel is knowing your options and always having a "Plan B." For example, say I take the train to Rome....but something happens to the train line (this is very rare) and the return trains are all canceled. I would simply walk outside the station and hire a taxi to take me back to the ship. If there was a major train issue that taxi would rip me off and probably charge 150€. For 2 persons this would still be a lot less expensive then the excursion.. But, it has never happened to us in decades of extensive travel in Italy.

All travelers have their own level of comfort and spirit (or lack thereof) of adventure. For some, using the overpriced (and over crowded) ship excursions is the best option For others, arranging private tours is a better option (we have done some of this ourselves). And for even others....doing what you want, when you want, with whom you want....is the best way to travel. There is no right or wrong...but simply personal preference. As a stockholder of both major cruise stocks...we salute those who use cruise ship excursions because they do contribute to the bottom line. And even more important it means there are fewer folks trying to use public transit or rent cars...which is good for those of use who do these things.

Hank

I wouldn't want to rain on anyone's parade and it's possible that this is a good alternative for many. I do remember seeing something like this being offered a few years ago and there was some concern about air conditioning on the train. The other issue here is the 9 am time. I remember we caught the public train at 8 and I would hate to lose out on an hour of time in Rome. Getting an early start, especially on a hot summer day, was important to us. In any case, the train in Civitavechhia is very easy. Getting there is even easier. You see people walking right from the cruise port in a straight line right to the station.

pcur,

THANKS for taking the time to post. We were last in Italy 3 years ago, with 4 days in Rome. We have decided that due to energy and safety issues we also will be taking a RCCL dedicated train to Rome from the port. Can you remember about what time your NCL train arrived and when it departed? RCCL has told us we will have about 6 hours in Rome and every minute counts!

We totally agree with you that for some travelers the train is the way to go. We have had different friends robbed using every form of transportation in Italy and while we know by experience it is safe, having the extra time and convenience in Rome is worth it to us.

• 1 month later...

We are just back from our 7 day Mediterranean RCCL tour and are DELIGHTED we took the Roma Express dedicated train to and from Rome because it gave us the longest time in Rome (6 hours) of ANY of the options and saved our senior energy for the 6 hours on the delightful cobblestone streets of Rome that we had last seen 3 years earlier. We were surprised that many of our fellow train travellers were young, as they too valued the time in Rome (priceless) and the convenience.

We were picked up right outside the boat by our comfortable tour bus, and our guide whisked us to the train station, saving us a great deal of time waiting for a shuttle and WALKING to the station before heading out on the train, which took about 42 minutes and we each had seats. The tour guide also gave us maps of Rome and discussed EXACTLY where we would meet afterwards and then after disembarking from the train, walked us from San Pietro station past St. Peter's and to the area near Castel S'Angelo where many of the travelers took the Hop on Hop Off Bus, or went wherever they desired. We opted to take a cab (a good value and very direct) to the Colisseum area and San Clemente, the fascinating layer church built upon 3 other churches.

Having the 6 hours in Rome enabled us to visit 3 special places, eat a leisurely lunch at Piazza Navona, do 2 gelato tastings at Rome's best gelaterias and end up near Castel S'Angelo and St. Peter's where the tour met promptly for the trip to Civitavecchia.

9 other people off our boat who didn't book an excursion in Rome got stranded, even though the boat waited almost 1 hour for them, as they missed their connections.

It was worth every euro to have a safe, comfortable, timely and efficient way to get to Rome, where we toured at our own pace, for a lovely day! The only way to book the Roma Express is through your ship's excursions.

OMG, my partner and I could get return flights for the two of us from London to Rome for that amount of money.

It seems the cruise ship was taking advantage of people who have money to burn.