Seabourn or Regent Seven Seas Explorer for a first time cruiser

HongKongAlan

First time cruisers here and would greatly appreciate any recommendations. Torn between a day Mediterranean cruise on either RSSC Explorer or Seabourn Odyssey.

We are a mid 40s couple. Quality food and genuine service matter more to us than say the ports or stage shows. Also keen for a real all inclusive cruise including alcohol and speciality restaurants ideally. Definitely wanted to avoid being on a crowded boat with people queuing for a spot by the pool.

Thanks in advance

It is Seabourn for us, but remember that Regent Explorer is the newer of the ships, unless you go for Seabourn Encore which sails from 4th December this year.

You will have super service on Seabourn and everything, apart from excursions will be included. Champagne on ice in your stateroom when you arrive plus a bar set up, 1 litre of alcohol per person of your choice.

Remember also if you are a first time cruiser with Seabourn then you can get 400 dollars On Board Credit with a referral voucher.

I am sure which ever line you choose either Seabourn you will not go too far wrong.

Enjoy your cruise when you decide.

You should obviously ask on the Regent board also.

The principal physical differences are that the Explorer has 750 passengers, and the Odyssey 458. The Explorer has more alternative restaurants for dinner. The Explorer has a few suites at 219 sq. ft., and most of the rest of the standard ones are 253 sq. ft. plus balcony. Seabourn standard suites are all 295 sq. ft., but a few have only a large window and no balcony.

Regent will pretty certainly cost more, mainly (but not entirely) explained by the fact that they include flights and transfers and port excursions, which are extra on Seabourn. If you do Seabourn flights they will tell you what these would be before you decide. Regent do give air credit if you do not take their flights, but I understand it is not very generous. Regent have 'butlers' for the higher categories, Seabourn do not have 'butlers'.

Since you say you are less interested in ports and shows (which are a bit more elaborate on Regent), but would I imagine go ashore on your own to explore, Seabourn would seem to me to be better value. Trying to get your money's worth with excursions can be very tiring!

In terms of food, drinks, and service to me Seabourn wins hands down, particularly on service. We did a Regent cruise last year, so have recent experience. The Seabourn staff are very personable, and much more knowledgeable about the wines, etc. than the Regent staff, and more willing and able to have a conversation with you.

Explorer has had problems this year, but these are no doubt to being new in service, and will doubtless get ironed out. It is a very 'glamorous' looking ship, Odyssey more laid back looking.

I know which I prefer but there are quite a few considerations, and you should read what everyone has to say before making up your mind, I feel.

We have sailed a few times with both Seabourn and Regent (including the new Explorer). Both lines have their vociferous cheerleaders here, some of whom don't like a hint of criticism against their particular favourite so their opinions can't always be relied upon for unbiased objectivity.

It's very hard to give advice if you've never experienced one or both lines because what may be a huge plus for one person maybe a deal breaker for someone else. In your shoes I'd probably make itinerary my first consideration because the truth is both lines are very similar and any differences are really more subjective like ambiance, decor, specific staff, passenger demographics etc.

Accept that whichever you choose probably won't be perfect in every way so have realistic expectations, relax and have a wonderful cruise. Oh and if I had to choose based on previous experience I'd pick Seabourn!

Edited by RustyRollock

HongKongAlan -

one important difference between Regent and SB is that in Regent you need to be in the "upmarket" concierge and penthouse suites to get special perks, such as priority restaurant reservations. In SB there is a "luxury democracy" where everyone is treated the same with the same access to restaurants or excursions regardless of suite category. The "premium suites" on SB get slightly fancier toiletries and an espresso machine, plus a lot more room, of course, but that's it.

Butlers are highly overrated and not needed in a smaller ship. You get wonderful service from the suite staff in SB.

Alan, let me preface this by saying that I haven't yet sailed Seabourn, but it is definitely my first non-Regent choice, and I'm sure I'll give it a shot when the right itinerary matches up with our my schedule. I did the same Q & A back in 2009 when we took our first cruise and at the time, it came down to a toss-up between Seabourn and Regent. Just so happened that Regent won that initial cruise based solely on itinerary.

But based on reading what's important to you and what you're looking for, I can pretty much guarantee you'll be happy on whichever line you choose. As others have said, there are good points and not-so-good points (notice I didn't say BAD points) with each luxury line. The trick is to find the one that's the best fit for you. Unfortunately, trying different cruise lines is a bit more expensive than trying new restaurants. I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Both lines have their vociferous cheerleaders here, some of whom don't like a hint of criticism against their particular favourite so their opinions can't always be relied upon for unbiased objectivity.

Rusty - ain't that the truth?!? :D

Most of the standards on both lines are very similar. In some departments I would give the advantage to Seabourn and others to Regent. Where the big difference lies for me is how management handles issues that we can all have from time to time when travelling.

In my experience, Seabourn will do everything possible to resolve the problem, where Regent will do just the opposite. Today, when the Regent catalogs arrive by mail, they go directly in the garbage.

My response may need to be somewhat taken with a grain of salt since it has been six years since I have cruised either line (and only one cruise on each). We cruised on one of "little sister" ships on Seabourn and found the food and service both excellent. Then only six months later we cruised on Regent Mariner and were disappointed. We found both food in the main restaurant and service to be hardly any better than Holland America. The shows were somewhat better on Regent compared to the small Seabourn ship (as would be expected), but IMO the shows on Crystal are much much better than Regent (similar sized ships), and so I was not impressed with Regent in that regard either. We don't like having to pay for the "included" tours on Regent as at that time anyway, the included tours were mostly the 3 or 4 hour type bus tours and for anything more interesting or all day tours we had to pay extra. Also, we like to do some tours on our own so paying ahead for the Regent tours doesn't set well with us.

We leave this Monday on our second Seabourn cruise (on Sojourn)and looking forward to it whole heartedly.

I've been on both. While IMO my most recent experience on Regent was far better than in 2011, it still had more issues than I've encountered on Seabourn. Regents bar staff on the "faiden" voyage was the ne plus ultra of their crew all assembled for the dog and pony show of the previous voyage. Once they go back to their normal ships (and in some cases lines as there were staff from Oceania/NCL) i'd expect service to dip further. Aside from tendering (and seating at the single outdoor bar), oh and restaurant crowds on club nights/captains welcome/farewell nights; Regent does do a good job of hiding the number of passengers around the ship. I LOATHE Regents management and they alone will probably keep me from returning.

Overall I prefer the smaller size of Seabourns ships. Further the majority of the crew seems friendlier and has more of a can-do attitude than Regents. For my tastes Seabourn gets the nod for food. What they may lack in restaurants they more than make up for in special order accommodations.

My most recent Regent and Seabourn cruises.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2387251

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2320507

Neither a cheerleader of Regent or Seabourn. But in this situation I would suggest making your life "easy" and choose Seabourn. It's very well established and service is exceptional. Many recent issues with service on Regent due to hiring many new staff for the new ship ( which has caused impacts to service on their other ships). Also given your age demographics you may fit in better with Seabourn. Although Regent shows "young" couples in their advertising, that is not necessarily representative of Regents regular clientele. ( much older). Also agree with other posters that Seabourn ships are smaller which makes a difference. Enjoy whichever cruise your choose!

Sent from my iPad using Forums