Enough time from SEATAC?

Hrhbob

Sailing on Pearl to Alaska out of Seattle. Arrive SEATAC 12:30 pm for 4:00pm sailing. Plan on collecting luggage and doing Uber/Lyft to pier. Assume we will have plenty of time to get to embarkation, especially since it is a Sunday and light traffic? Thoughts?

Sailing on Pearl to Alaska out of Seattle. Arrive SEATAC 12:30 pm for 4:00pm sailing. Plan on collecting luggage and doing Uber/Lyft to pier. Assume we will have plenty of time to get to embarkation, especially since it is a Sunday and light traffic? Thoughts?

OMG! If your flight is the least bit delayed or AS IS COMMON at SeaTac you are stuck on a runway waiting for a gate to park you will Absolutely miss the ship.

Even if your flight lands on time, getting thru the airport to baggage and then getting a cab.... this is not doable.

Change your flight to the day before, exact same flight. Spend the night and board your ship at 11:30am.

Sorry this is not doable in Seattle!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would have to agree. We were scheduled to fly in the day before our sail to arrive at 12:30 p.m. to SEATAC. We did not arrive until 5:00 in the evening. If we had tried to fly the day of, we would have missed our ship. Sail the day before and do not stress about your flights. I agree with the statement about construction. The waterfront is under construction and has been for awhile, as it was when we were there last year.

No, do not put that kind of stress on yourself on your vacation. As other posters have stated it's not enough time. You won't get out of Seatac till almost 115 to 130. Then it's 30 to 45 minutes to Pier 66.

Plus, give yourself a chance to see some of Seattle!

Your plan is high risk. All aboard time which is clearly printed on your edocs is 2 pm.

Your bags will be available around 1:15. And the freeway to the port is often congested and slow. With lots of surface streets with tourists to get down to the port.

Conside changing.

No, not even close to enough time. SEATAC isn't actually in Seattle Proper, it's about 30 minutes to Seattle with normal traffic, on a Sunday it's probably at least 45. You won't even have gotten your bags until 1:15 so no way will you make the pier by 2. Come in the day before, stay downtown and enjoy Seattle with less pressure.

I live in WA, we would have left our house by 10:30 to meet your cruise schedule and we're 40 miles south of the pier.

This is why I love this forum... I've taken your advice and rebooked my flight to Saturday and will now have time to see a bit of Seattle and leisurely make my way to the pier Sunday morning. Thanks so much for your help!

This is why I love this forum... I've taken your advice and rebooked my flight to Saturday and will now have time to see a bit of Seattle and leisurely make my way to the pier Sunday morning. Thanks so much for your help!

Good choice. Those of us who have lived in Seattle our entire lives know that an "easy" Sunday afternoon drive through town is anything but!

Great decision! Enjoy your cruise, the sail away is incredible leaving thru the islands!

Good choice. Those of us who have lived in Seattle our entire lives know that an "easy" Sunday afternoon drive through town is anything but!

LOL...there is no such thing as an "easy" Sunday afternoon drive in Seattle....at least not in my lifetime...and I'm a native Washingtonian since 1953! :o

Right now we are planning on arriving at the parking garage (we are driving from our home in the SW part of the state) at 11 a.m. Knowing the pier area and the drive from Fort Lewis on up to Seattle, we are probably leaving at 7 a.m. to allow for construction, traffic, pit stops and a drive-thru breakfast (grandkids will be along).

Good choice! Personally, we don't fly in "day of" for any cruise, leaving from any port. Just too many chances of travel delays these days.

Now head over to the West Coast homeports board and figure out what you'd like to do in Seattle. It's a great town.:D

Glad to hear you changed your flight. In addition to possible flight delays, there's one more thing that we dealt with: lost luggage.

We took a nonstop flight to Seattle the day before the cruise only to learn that one of our big suitcases did not arrive with us. We had a little over 24 hours before the ship sailed so the airline assured us that more likely than not, our bag would be located in time. Long story short, it didn't. After a few calls to the airline and them being unable to track the bag, we made a mad dash to Target in downtown Seattle a few hours before sailaway in order to purchase a brand new wardrobe for our family of 4 along with a new suitcase.

Had we arrived on the same day of the cruise, we would've never had enough time to do this and most likely we would've ended with no extra clothes, at least until we arrived at the first port of call 2 days later. For the record, the airline NEVER found our bag but they were gracious enough to refund the cost of everything lost. They also gave us an additional $800 for our troubles. And in addition to that, our insurance paid for everything that we had to purchase last minute in Seattle. Even though it was an absolute pain in the bottom to deal with this, we are grateful that we had enough time to salvage our vacation, and that the the airline and insurance responded in an acceptable manner.

So morale of the story is to fly early and to get travel insurance. [emoji3]

Thank goodness! Reminds me of our Alaskan Cruise when we flew from OAK to SEA. We were on the second flight of the day, to arrive at 10:30am but, our luggage didn't make it on the flight! Talk about stressed OUT! Airline (Southwest) had no idea where it was and we had to "hope" it was on the next flight, which arrived at 12:30pm, and they did. Grabbed an Uber and sure enough, there was traffic. Got to the port at 1:30pm and breezed through check in. Lesson learned, give yourself adequate travel time, and plan for the inevitable! ;)

Well that's easy, it means when you turned it over at your check in your bags never made it on the airplane in the first place! Always make sure you have a couple outfits in your carry on. I pack my carry on with the thought in mind I may never see my checked bag again :(

How does an airline lose luggage on a non-stop flight? yikes!!

Easy. SWA may have had a flight that was leaving around the same time that connected at a hub. The bag may have been accidentally been sent there. So it took a detour and arrived a bit later. Or possibly it never left the origination airport and needed to be sent on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same goes for NYC cruises. NYC is very unpredictable. We aren't even flying, we are driving, but still going a day ahead and staying overnight. It's only a 2 to 3 hours drive but we are leaving in the winter.......and can just imagine waking up to a few feet of snow. LOL Better safe than sorry.

How does an airline lose luggage on a non-stop flight? yikes!!

For this flight, we did curbside check in. I had a bad feeling as there was a lot of luggage on the curb; I should've trusted my gut! So, it probably sat on the curb or under a pile making its way to the tarmac by the time we left.

What really ticked me off is that SWA had zero record of it. I guess they don't scan bag tags before loading them on to your plane, or a plane, for that matter.

Good choice! Personally, we don't fly in "day of" for any cruise, leaving from any port. Just too many chances of travel delays these days.

Now head over to the West Coast homeports board and figure out what you'd like to do in Seattle. It's a great town.:D

The other issue with flying and sailing the same day is that you spend the whole day in line ups, security etc and are exhausted by the time you get on the ship! We found that we ended up losing the first day of the cruise because we were recuperating from the long travel day the day before. Now we always fly the day before and are ready to PARTY by the time we get onboard!! 😃

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app