Aaarrrggghhh...I've been "Upgraded"

janny444

Hi....every so often I check into my booking online.Last night I checked in and I have been "upgraded"...certainly an upgrade I do not want.

I originally booked a Bella Experience...2 bed cabin...fairly low deck...mid ship...with a bath. Now they have upgraded me to Fantastica...higher deck...forward position..connecting room...4 bed.

I chose the original cabin for position...midship because I suffer from motion sickness. I have had a connecting room before and heard such a lot of noise from the next cabin so at the time of booking I made it clear that I would not have a connecting room. I was also looking forward to having a bath...a new experience for us on a cruise ship.

We do not eat in the MDR in the evening and we have never had room service so for us it is no upgrade at all...I really want my original choice back but they say they can't downgrade us back to our original cabin. I was aware that they could change our cabin but I thought with it being a 2 bed cabin there would be no reason to...in fact I think we have more chance now of being moved with it being 4 bed.

Is there anything I can do?

Thank you sidari...unfortunately I didn't say that I didn't want an upgrade just not a connecting cabin.

Janny,

I think I'd still give them a call and explain your significant problem with the motion of the ocean. Perhaps they'll be more sympathetic if it's explained that way.

To me, there wouldn't be much point in going on a cruise if I couldn't be assured of being comfortable.

Good luck, hope it works out ok for you.

Hi....every so often I check into my booking online.Last night I checked in and I have been "upgraded"...certainly an upgrade I do not want.

I originally booked a Bella Experience...2 bed cabin...fairly low deck...mid ship...with a bath. Now they have upgraded me to Fantastica...higher deck...forward position..connecting room...4 bed.

I chose the original cabin for position...midship because I suffer from motion sickness. I have had a connecting room before and heard such a lot of noise from the next cabin so at the time of booking I made it clear that I would not have a connecting room. I was also looking forward to having a bath...a new experience for us on a cruise ship.

We do not eat in the MDR in the evening and we have never had room service so for us it is no upgrade at all...I really want my original choice back but they say they can't downgrade us back to our original cabin. I was aware that they could change our cabin but I thought with it being a 2 bed cabin there would be no reason to...in fact I think we have more chance now of being moved with it being 4 bed.

Yes, enjoy your upgrade!:D Edited by FLACRUISER99

Hi Flaccruiser99...unfortunately for me there is nothing to enjoy about this "upgrade"...would just love to have my original cabin back....now that would make me happy.

Hi Cruisemom2nick...no there was no email...just came across it when I logged into my online account...we sail this September out of Southampton

I don't know why they do it. :mad: My friends booked 4 cabins in row on Princess but when they come to port they figure out they all got "upgrade" all over the ship not together and not in location they would love to be . I think they must ask you if you want it first and then do it. I believe HAL ask you if you want upgrade when you book.

Having just received a positive, very attractive, upgrade on my upcoming cruise I'm counting my blessings that it didn't go the way of your own. I'd booked a guarantee cabin for the first time - and with much trepidation - as it certainly is a lottery. I don't know how I'd react if I were in your situation where you've booked a particular cabin - I hope you manage to resolve the issue. If you're stuck with the upgrade maybe it won't turn out to be anything like as bad as it seems at the moment.

Go on an internet website & do a 'pretend' booking so you can see what cabins in your category are still available. If there is one that is not connecting...call & ask for a trade.

We have done this with many cruiselines for various reasons and have never had a problem.

Our last cruise was 2 months ago on another cruiseline. We took a 'guarantee' which means they can assign what they want. As soon as the assignment was made I called to change it. It had the bathtub with the shower inside. I ask if there were anything available in that category with just a tub as I do not like stepping over to access the shower. They immediately changed it.

Usually I change location. We prefer the right side of the ship.

Go on an internet website & do a 'pretend' booking so you can see what cabins in your category are still available. If there is one that is not connecting...call & ask for a trade.

We have done this with many cruiselines for various reasons and have never had a problem.

Our last cruise was 2 months ago on another cruiseline. We took a 'guarantee' which means they can assign what they want. As soon as the assignment was made I called to change it. It had the bathtub with the shower inside. I ask if there were anything available in that category with just a tub as I do not like stepping over to access the shower. They immediately changed it.

Usually I change location. We prefer the right side of the ship.

Hi...the only Bella cabin available is a connecting cabin. I have now spoken to them twice about this....explained my concerns...which they understand but can't do anything more.

I think I will phone them one more time and "plead" with them to swap us back to our original cabin...I am more than happy for the people to have the "upgrade"...in fact they may be rather pleased about that...as I stated before no way is it an "upgrade" for us... but I am not holding my breath on that.

As I also said we now have been given a 4 berth cabin so if a family need one there is every chance of being moved and ending up goodness where on the ship.