Dress code and offending people

gualalamama

On the recent Jazz Crossing I didn't once see the Head of Blue Note Records anywhere on QM-2 without a wide-brimmed hat, not even in the Princess Grill.

I seem to recall when I was a kid growing up, adults wearing hats inside was considered to be ignorant and ill-mannered! How things change. I am sure most wear them because they have low esteem and wish to be noticed. Why else would would they be doing it?

On the recent Jazz Crossing I didn't once see the Head of Blue Note Records anywhere on QM-2 without a wide-brimmed hat, not even in the Princess Grill.

I seem to recall when I was a kid growing up, adults wearing hats inside was considered to be ignorant and ill-mannered! How things change. I am sure most wear them because they have low esteem and wish to be noticed. Why else would would they be doing it?

I have to say that if I was at a table for breakfast/lunch/dinner with a guy constantly wearing a hat then I would be inclined to ask to be moved to another table. That may imply some form of prejudice but as much as they may have a right to wear a hat, I have a right to be amongst those who do not.

... I seem to recall when I was a kid growing up, adults wearing hats inside was considered to be ignorant and ill-mannered! How things change. I am sure most wear them because they have low esteem and wish to be noticed. Why else would would they be doing it?
Thank you RJChatsworth, very well said.

(Of course, they could be one of those fortune few, the ex-mortals, for whom unwritten rules and guidelines (such as general courtesy, respect for others, politeness and good manners) don't apply as they are so very special.

Such guidelines and rules are after all, meant for other people, not them)

Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

I would not think of wearing my hat during dinner on Cunard, especially during a formal night as head wear for men is not considered formal attire in Anglo-American circles. I chose a QM2 voyage partly because of the evening dress code and the overall atmosphere provided by same.

However, during breakfast or lunch I do not see much issue with it. Maybe it is due to my age [32] but I would not consider a fashionable hat to be bad manners just because it was worn indoors. I realize that many years ago this was considered as such but many things in fashion change. Many years ago women were required to wear skirts and stockings to work in a professional environment or they would be sent home; those days are also long gone as times change. The evening dress code is well stated [and should be followed as one knows about it before hand] but I don't believe hats are disallowed by Cunard during the daytime in the restaurants so why balk at it?

The evening dress code is well stated [and should be followed as one knows about it before hand] but I don't believe hats are disallowed by Cunard during the daytime in the restaurants so why balk at it?
The majority of Cunard customers are of an age (or upbringing) that would never wear a hat in a restaurant, written dress code or no.

Hi cruisinggran,

Staff went up to a passenger in the dining room and asked that passenger to take his hat off?

(I only ask because I've known stewards turn a blind eye to far worse (IMHO) than a hat).

Was he following the dress-code for the evenings otherwise?

Thank you and all best wishes,

Yes apparently many people complained about the hat, he was approached

By the head waiter and he said no and it was for religious reasons. The hat was worn every evening.

Yes apparently many people complained about the hat, he was approached

By the head waiter and he said no and it was for religious reasons. The hat was worn every evening.

Sometimes it's just impossible to avoid the attention-seeking, boorish prima donna personality isn't it?

I find this case sad, if the male is not prepared to wear a jacket each evening , and 3 evenings with a tie for the sake of his wife. I can not understand why a lot of American males would sooner turn up in jeans and T Shirt for their meals, but most of the American males do like to look smart along with their ladies who always look good. At least it looks like they have made an effort. You can eat in the Restaurant or Kings Court in shorts if you want at breakfast or lunch or in the Red Lion for lunch or go for afternoon tea. You could cross the Atlantic on other ships, but I am sure you would feel the movement of the ship in bad weather. Crossing the Atlantic with Cunard I would say it is an experience, loads of Brits and Americans do it each year. If you do book a crossing I really hope you enjoy it.:D

I agree with this. Would it be such a great hardship to wear a tie etc for a few hours now and then. If I were a man I would rather suffer the tie than have to eat in the buffet or stateroom on a formal night. It is not always possible to have everything to suit our own preferences even when on holiday.

Hello,what more is there to said.We all choose Cunard for a variety of reasons,I suspect the dress code being high on that list.

If people from my background and upbringing can dress properly then surely anyone can.Long may the staff carry on challenging wrong doers.I think though we have all been onboard when,as pepper says,a blind eye was turned,alas by officers.

I should have got off Queen Elizabeth today,but because of illness had to cancel so I look forward to any updates from this cruise.

Can I just say thank you to pepper.I have been looking through his pictures on flickr,they are very very good.

Rodger.

Edited by branston boy

Hello,what more is there to said.We all choose Cunard for a variety of reasons,I suspect the dress code being high on that list.

If people from my background and upbringing can dress properly then surely anyone can.Long may the staff carry on challenging wrong doers.I think though we have all been onboard when,as pepper says,a blind eye was turned,alas by officers.

I should have got off Queen Elizabeth today,but because of illness had to cancel so I look forward to any updates from this cruise.

Can I just say thank you to pepper.I have been looking through his pictures on flickr,they are very very good.

Rodger.

Sorry to hear that Rodger, having to cancel that is.

I'm just waving off another member on her, our very own MaggieMou.

... Can I just say thank you to pepper.I have been looking through his pictures on flickr,they are very very good. Rodger.
Thank you branston boy for your generous comment :o, very kind of you :). I hope to be adding many more photos next year from cruises on both QE and QM2.

Thank you again, many happy sailings.

I'll second that. Especially useful for first-timers like us.
Thank you Tothesunset for your lovely post! :o . I am so very pleased that you found them useful.

I was so "bowled over" by my first trip on QM2, that I wanted other people, who were thinking of taking their first voyage on QM2 or with Cunard, to get a little of the excitement and magic that I had experienced, if possible.

Plus, possibly, to help them get a "feel" for the ship before boarding (all I had were the Cunard brochure pictures). After QM2, I had to do the same with QE2, QV and QE of course!

Thank you again, very kind of you :)

Edited by pepperrn

Me too. As a keen photographer myself, I know that is some collection of Photographs.
Thank you Solent Richard, for your great comment!

Thank goodness for digital photography; given the cost of film and processing, I'd be broke by now if I'd continued to use my old film camera!

Thank you again.

Hi cruisinggran,

Staff went up to a passenger in the dining room and asked that passenger to take his hat off?

(I only ask because I've known stewards turn a blind eye to far worse (IMHO) than a hat).

Was he following the dress-code for the evenings otherwise?

Thank you and all best wishes,

I always wore a bowler on formal nights & would remove it upon reaching my table whether in the Grills or Britannia. On less formal nights it was a fedora, again removed once at the table.

• 2 weeks later...

I should have known, seeing yet another dress code thread, especially one stretching 13 pages. Yet what silliness. People on CC can overstate the "formal" dress requirements on Cunard by a factor of ten, as someone has said before, BUT such is what the passenger base wants! If one, in the face of fact staunchly won't compromise very strong feelings about dressing up to accommodate a written dress code, then Cunard isn't for them. They should look for other ships for their ocean days. All this "yes, but" attitude is disrespectful to people who dress correctly and have made an effort. There are rules; if you want to participate, then you follow the rules. I've been fortunate? Haven't seen glaring dress violations, but supposed religious reasons or not, a hat at my table I'd be hard put to not want to swat it off. :o

I should have known, seeing yet another dress code thread, especially one stretching 13 pages. Yet what silliness. People on CC can overstate the "formal" dress requirements on Cunard by a factor of ten, as someone has said before, BUT such is what the passenger base wants! If one, in the face of fact staunchly won't compromise very strong feelings about dressing up to accommodate a written dress code, then Cunard isn't for them. They should look for other ships for their ocean days. All this "yes, but" attitude is disrespectful to people who dress correctly and have made an effort. There are rules; if you want to participate, then you follow the rules. I've been fortunate? Haven't seen glaring dress violations, but supposed religious reasons or not, a hat at my table I'd be hard put to not want to swat it off. :o

Agree completely.

As just posted to yet another dress question, simply obtain a copy of the Grills promotional material and follow the attire worn by those shown in the promotions both on embarkation, during the day and in the evening and no one will be offended except those wishing to push the downward trend envelope.

I should have to agree with this. Cunard has high standards; particularly for evenings and especially on Formal Nights. The reason for this is to try and keep the riff raff out but I can understand why some people do not like to conform.

Regards John

I should have to agree with this. Cunard has high standards; particularly for evenings and especially on Formal Nights. The reason for this is to try and keep the riff raff out but I can understand why some people do not like to conform.

Regards John

Good afternoon John.

I'll drink to that, cheers...

11480141816_5e849cfc27_z.jpg