Dress code and offending people

gualalamama

On the topic of daytime dress... I've been curious about that.

I know there is no dress code before 6pm, but what are the averages like?

For what it's worth, I - and most people I know - are the sort that rarely leave to house* looking "put together". Casual, sure. But never sloppy or lazy. On our September TA will we be having lunch with people in tracksuits?

*exception for early morning dog walks

I doubt folks will meet Hyacinth's high standards.

Hi Tampa Girl,

Some of the reasons we prefer Cunard (over HAL) include:

(1) Love of the QM2 as a ship---just everything about her : ) --how she looks inside and out, up-close and from a distance : ) She is grand! And, how she sails!

(2) We preferred the meals we have had on Cunard ships compared to meals we had on HAL

(3) Fellow passengers on Cunard sailings included more diverse nationalities vs mostly Americans (granted this was no doubt tied to specific itineraries and not that we don't enjoy fellow Americans---just part of the fun of travel has been meeting people from other countries). ...I don't think it is the clothing on Cunard as much as the people we have met and enjoyed…

(4) We have found the daytime lectures on Cunard ships very entertaining---our favorite shipboard activity!

Of course, there are many similarities among cruise lines, but also atmospheres that seem unique to particular ones.

I hope you have a great crossing next May! Please tell us about your experience afterwards.

Happy Sailing!

Jimmybean

Thank you, Jimmybean. Appreciate your response. We are so looking forward to this crossing.

On the topic of daytime dress... I've been curious about that.

I know there is no dress code before 6pm, but what are the averages like?

For what it's worth, I - and most people I know - are the sort that rarely leave to house* looking "put together". Casual, sure. But never sloppy or lazy. On our September TA will we be having lunch with people in tracksuits?

*exception for early morning dog walks

The answer to lunch with people in tracksuits the answer is no. Most people are casual but not scruffy. Some do wear shorts for lunch if it's warm but long shorts which are quite smart. One of my pet hates you will see is men ( and some women ) wearing baseball hats indoors and while eating . My response is WHY ??. I have a baseball cap but it only gets worn outside.

The answer to lunch with people in tracksuits the answer is no. Most people are casual but not scruffy. Some do wear shorts for lunch if it's warm but long shorts which are quite smart. One of my pet hates you will see is men ( and some women ) wearing baseball hats indoors and while eating . My response is WHY ??. I have a baseball cap but it only gets worn outside.

I ate lunch in yoga pants and a tshirt. Or a bathing suit with a cover up. Or shorts. Most folks at lunch wore leggings, sundress/cover up, or shorts. This was Bermuda so I'll see what we wear when I head to Canada. Yes I saw track suits, who cares. Baseball hats at lunch, sure saw tha too. Never thought twice about it.

I think the answer slightly depends on where you eat lunch. We tend to go to Britannia, people may be more casual in the Kings Court/Lido.

We also usually sail from Europe, things may be more casual during the daytime on US sailings.

Edited by Host Hattie

I think the answer slightly depends on where you eat lunch. We tend to go to Britannia, people may be more casual in the Kings Court/Lido.

We also usually sail from Europe, things may be more casual during the daytime on US sailings.

Yes , I should have clarified that. In the Kings court / lido people are much more casual while in the restaurants , people wear normal day clothes, dresses, long shorts etc.I have sailed on European cruises, transatlantics and USA and Canada and yes if it's hot people are more casual ( still haven't seen many tracksuits apart from people running) . And yes to previous post I know Americans wear baseball caps indoors but still don't know why !

I ate lunch in yoga pants and a tshirt. Or a bathing suit with a cover up. Or shorts. Most folks at lunch wore leggings, sundress/cover up, or shorts. This was Bermuda so I'll see what we wear when I head to Canada. Yes I saw track suits, who cares. Baseball hats at lunch, sure saw tha too. Never thought twice about it.

Bathing suit with a cover up, Baseball Hats at lunch, what cruise line was this on ? Certainly wasn't Cunard in the Britannia restaurant ..or was it alfresco at the pool area.

One of the problems with the CC forum is, occasionally some posters when contributing to a thread often forget what Board they replying to. No wonder these friendly debates often get heated.

Yes , I should have clarified that. In the Kings court / lido people are much more casual while in the restaurants , people wear normal day clothes, dresses, long shorts etc.I have sailed on European cruises, transatlantics and USA and Canada and yes if it's hot people are more casual ( still haven't seen many tracksuits apart from people running) . And yes to previous post I know Americans wear baseball caps indoors but still don't know why !

Well if you've been wear the hat for a while, you take it off and you have sweaty, smushed, hat hair. So you better to leave it on! :)

Bathing suit with a cover up, Baseball Hats at lunch, what cruise line was this on ? Certainly wasn't Cunard in the Britannia restaurant ..or was it alfresco at the pool area.

One of the problems with the CC forum is, occasionally some posters when contributing to a thread often forget what Board they replying to. No wonder these friendly debates often get heated.

Sorry. True, that was not on Cunard. I did forget which board this was.

Ah yes - yoga pants - showing every crease in the adipose tissue; goes with the partner's backward baseball cap.

I was on the Blue Note Cruise and a lady at the next table (Britannia) wore a baseball cap to dinner the first evening out:eek:

Another day at lunch, again in Britannia I counted 8 men wearing hats, ball caps and flat caps. :mad:

I was on the Blue Note Cruise and a lady at the next table (Britannia) wore a baseball cap to dinner the first evening out:eek:

Another day at lunch, again in Britannia I counted 8 men wearing hats, ball caps and flat caps. :mad:

Two sailings to avoid, as the US Cunard site lists two 2016 Blue Note Jazz Crossings:

• M613 August 1, 2016 8-day EB
  • M624N October 25, 2016 7-day EB

I'm sure there are many reasons, for example...Some people wear baseball caps and other head coverings indoors because they are bald as a result of chemo and/or radiation treatment or other medical conditions. Some cover their head for religious reasons or simply because they are having a bad hair day. I just assume a head covering is a matter of personal preference and the motivation is none of my business. Especially if it is a tin foil hat ;)

Edited by Salacia

I'm sure there are many reasons, for example...Some people wear baseball caps and other head coverings indoors because they are bald as a result of chemo and/or radiation treatment or other medical conditions. Some cover their head for religious reasons or simply because they are having a bad hair day. I just assume a head covering is a matter of personal preference and the motivation is none of my business. Especially if it is a tin foil hat ;)

I'm sure that's true for some, but I think the majority are simply too lazy to take it off. If they take it off and set it down, they might forget to pick it up again, so the easy solution is to keep wearing it. Also, if you wear something all the time you become less aware that you've got it on.

I hate seeing the ballcaps worn indoors. Does anyone really wear one of those for religious reasons?

On the Queen Victoria last year La to La segment a man wore a soft hat in the MDR every night. When the staff asked him to remove it he told them it was for

Religious reasons. Just looked like any other men's dress hat with a feather on the side.

Hi cruisinggran,

Staff went up to a passenger in the dining room and asked that passenger to take his hat off?

(I only ask because I've known stewards turn a blind eye to far worse (IMHO) than a hat).

Was he following the dress-code for the evenings otherwise?

Thank you and all best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn