Dress code and offending people

gualalamama

This has been running through my mind, too, for the entire thread! HAHAHA

You are very correct in saying compliance need not be expensive. We are taking our first trip with Cunard next month and the only expense was buying a tuxedo, which can be bought for quite a reasonable price that is actually less then renting in many cases. One tux is fine for the three formal nights. For informal nights I plan to just take two blazers and rotate them [wearing each of them twice over the 4 nights] perhaps with a different pocket square or tie [when I decide to wear one] to give the outfit a "new" look. It's not as difficult as some make it out to be.

I like your style BostonJetSet and you are quite correct on purchase versus hire.

Indeed, I have never worried over the cost of the tux, it's the air fare to Bangkok to have them made that hurts...

11187894645_e4b5de673e_z.jpg

12519334873_6e3b9dc0bd_z.jpg

:D:D

I like your style BostonJetSet and you are quite correct on purchase versus hire.

Indeed, I have never worried over the cost of the tux, it's the air fare to Bangkok to have them made that hurts...

11187894645_e4b5de673e_z.jpg

12519334873_6e3b9dc0bd_z.jpg

:D:D

Thanks for the compliment! :D

Btw, your burgundy dinner jacket is simply stunning!

I wouldn't be too intimidated by this. Certainly, you wouldn't walk around the ship in gym cloths or jeans after 6 and it is actually quite nice to see everyone dressed spiffy for supper on formal nights. Most women are not wearing ball gowns. I saw many wearing long black skirts with a pretty jacket or blouse, which is a nice way to present on a formal night. There were also some in black dress pants with a nice top. You don't have to go all out to still fit in. Your husband would have to have a sports coat on informal nights and wear a tie with a dark suit on formal nights to dine in the main dining room, go to the bars, dance, or attend the shows. But you could still dine in the King's court in your everyday clothes if this does not interest you, and that can be good too (we met several people who did this regularly).

Easy fix: each pack a dark pants suit and you are good to go!

Ignore any rare improper person who gives you a dirty look presumably because of your outfit at any given time. Although this did not happen to us, we witnessed it happening to others and it is a classless reaction by some of the grouches who seem to make a hobby out of it.

I am booked on QV next March from Sydney to Hong Kong, 22 nights - part of the world voyage - so I expect to have quite a few formal nights as there are quite a few sea days.

Thanks to everyone who has replied and especially the OP for starting the topic as I have found all your diverse opinions and experiences very helpful. We have never cruised on any of the Queens before but have done many long haul cruises with HAL.

I like to be prepared and agree that formal nights should be respected, as I have found the majority do on HAL, but not as strict as I assumed Cunard's QV would be so a nice excuse to buy a couple of lovely new dresses.

I wouldn't be too intimidated by this. Certainly, you wouldn't walk around the ship in gym cloths or jeans after 6 and it is actually quite nice to see everyone dressed spiffy for supper on formal nights. Most women are not wearing ball gowns. I saw many wearing long black skirts with a pretty jacket or blouse, which is a nice way to present on a formal night. There were also some in black dress pants with a nice top. You don't have to go all out to still fit in. Your husband would have to have a sports coat on informal nights and wear a tie with a dark suit on formal nights to dine in the main dining room, go to the bars, dance, or attend the shows. But you could still dine in the King's court in your everyday clothes if this does not interest you, and that can be good too (we met several people who did this regularly).

Easy fix: each pack a dark pants suit and you are good to go!

Ignore any rare improper person who gives you a dirty look presumably because of your outfit at any given time. Although this did not happen to us, we witnessed it happening to others and it is a classless reaction by some of the grouches who seem to make a hobby out of it.

When we first went with Cunard 20 years ago my wife was scared that she would feel out of it, in the dress sense, she rang Cunard they said you will be O.K. in Black long skirts and Blouses if you do not want to wear a Grown, that was over 40 cruises with them, I had never worn a Tux before in my life, never needed to, but we do enjoy the Dress Code on formal nights when all the men look like Penquins and some even waddle along like a Penguin, to us it is so much nicer the other Cruise lines we have been with.:D

When we first went with Cunard 20 years ago my wife was scared that she would feel out of it, in the dress sense, she rang Cunard they said you will be O.K. in Black long skirts and Blouses if you do not want to wear a Grown, that was over 40 cruises with them, I had never worn a Tux before in my life, never needed to, but we do enjoy the Dress Code on formal nights when all the men look like Penquins and some even waddle along like a Penguin, to us it is so much nicer the other Cruise lines we have been with.:D

There is nothing nicer than seeing men in a tuxedo all looking like James Bond rather then penquins. :D

I like to see them all looking good, and as Solent Richard has shown us you can have a different coloured tux if you want to ring the changes. I like his photo of him and his lady in co -ordinated colours. Very smart indeed. It is nice when people make that extra effort.

Edited by maggiemou

There is nothing nicer than seeing men in a tuxedo all looking like James Bond rather then penquins. :D

I like to see them all looking good, and as Solent Richard has shown us you can have a different coloured tux if you want to ring the changes. I like his photo of him and his lady in co -ordinated colours. Very smart indeed. It is nice when people make that extra effort.

We all wish we could look like any of the James Bond's they have had, but many of us with age do waddle like a penguins.:D

So how much, approximately would that dress set me back?

David.

First of all, you need a fabulous sense of dress to design your own, as Maggie does. That is priceless.

Next you need access to interesting fabric. I suspect that means the cost of a few world cruises in order to shop in interesting places.

Last you need a good dressmaker/designer who can take your ideas and convert them to reality - and such a person is beyond price.

First of all, you need a fabulous sense of dress to design your own, as Maggie does. That is priceless.

Next you need access to interesting fabric. I suspect that means the cost of a few world cruises in order to shop in interesting places.

Last you need a good dressmaker/designer who can take your ideas and convert them to reality - and such a person is beyond price.

Thank you fantasy51.

You are quite correct in your comments. I do design my own evening dresses and I have them made to measure. Price doesn't come into it. I get what I want.

As my husband once said to a table companion on QM2 who queried how much I must cost him with my clothes.

" Nothing" was his reply. Maggie has her own money. :D

Hi David, Were you wanting to buy it from me? :) This is a one off, are you sure it would suit you? :)

Maybe you prefer this one.

b60b89a4-3425-4d49-afc8-191838376201_zpslwetgsee.jpg

Possibly not but it would likely raise a few laughs in my trying to find out.

Maybe we could arrange a fitting if we ever sail together.

David.

If this is just going to be transportation, and at about the same price as a business class airline ticket why not? We would not want to spoil other people's formal evening by even passing through rumpled. We would enjoy the lectures and spa and relaxed atmosphere during the day and yes we would enjoy staying in cabin for the formal nights. You could fly over in a cattle car for less, but if you are going to spend the cash anyway there is nothing wrong with getting the best class limo to cross the pond. It is YOUR cruise, if you wish to do it, and you should enjoy it YOUR way.

Yes, there are a few people who book Cunard totally as transportation, and they will never be seen passing through rumpled because they do respect the line's dress policy. After 6:00PM you won't even know they are there.

I hope that gualalamama has not been totally run off. Cunard will be as happy to take your money as they are to take mine.

Yes, there are a few people who book Cunard totally as transportation, and they will never be seen passing through rumpled because they do respect the line's dress policy. After 6:00PM you won't even know they are there.

I hope that gualalamama has not been totally run off. Cunard will be as happy to take your money as they are to take mine.

If I was the OP, after reading all the comments on this thread.....I would have run for the hills. I find it very sad that if someone wants to take a liner (not a cruise ship) across the Atlantic rather than flying, they are going to come across such a bunch of pompous people! The OP just wants to enjoy their journey (not vacation) without offending people! Give them a break....anyone can go on any ship they want...if they have the cash. As the poster I quoted said..."Cunard will be as happy to take your money as they are to take mine".

I am sure they are not going to walk around the ship in looking like slobs.....they just don't want to be dressed to the nines....and no matter what all the die hards say....there is no way 100% of people on every crossing are wearing tuxes and formal gowns!

Just my 2 cents!

Its obvious you have never been on a Cunard ship...(joke)

And it is a bit of a shame as my parents live in Scotland and I visit them every year. My husband won't contemplate a Cunard trip because of what we have been reading regarding dress codes. That being the case, we come home via a transatlantic on other lines.

To return to the OPs question.....they should be able to take a liner across the Atlantic if they want without feeling brow beaten to death by the dress code brigade. You must admit that you can see the way things are going to be in the future...just look at the Holland America site and the new dress code! Cunard will welcome anyone on their ship. I am so glad that such a very small percentage of cruisers actually read Cruise Critic....otherwise the ships would be empty! Please also don't try to say I don't know what I am talking about.....there was a thread on here not so long ago from a lady complaining bitterly that the dress code wasn't being followed to the nth degree on her European trip.

If I was the OP, after reading all the comments on this thread.....I would have run for the hills. I find it very sad that if someone wants to take a liner (not a cruise ship) across the Atlantic rather than flying, they are going to come across such a bunch of pompous people! The OP just wants to enjoy their journey (not vacation) without offending people! Give them a break....anyone can go on any ship they want...if they have the cash. As the poster I quoted said..."Cunard will be as happy to take your money as they are to take mine".

I am sure they are not going to walk around the ship in looking like slobs.....they just don't want to be dressed to the nines....and no matter what all the die hards say....there is no way 100% of people on every crossing are wearing tuxes and formal gowns!

Just my 2 cents!

I suppose you can refer to people as "pompous" simply because they believe in respecting a dress code which is part of the reason many choose Cunard.

No one asks anyone to "dress to the nines" --- but would the "sixes" or "sevens" ba acceptable to you?

Your references to being "brow beaten to death by the dress code brigade" indicates that you are carrying as big a monkey on your back as does ANY poster on these threads who simply urges compliance with REQUESTED norms.

We don't have formal wear. However, we will still be following the dress code which allows us to still eat at the buffet on formal nights, and will be appropriately dressed for those evenings that are not considered formal. We are not slobs; we just don't own long gowns or tuxedos. If someone looks askance at us on formal nights when we will restrict ourselves to the appropriate areas of the ship only, then so be it. However, we will not be breaking the rules if we stay where we're supposed to be and not infringe on the formal areas of the ship. We are nice people who just want to enjoy ourselves but respect rules.

We don't have formal wear. However, we will still be following the dress code which allows us to still eat at the buffet on formal nights, and will be appropriately dressed for those evenings that are not considered formal. We are not slobs; we just don't own long gowns or tuxedos. If someone looks askance at us on formal nights when we will restrict ourselves to the appropriate areas of the ship only, then so be it. However, we will not be breaking the rules if we stay where we're supposed to be and not infringe on the formal areas of the ship. We are nice people who just want to enjoy ourselves but respect rules.

I doubt anyone here would have an issue with you doing that.

All most people ask is that people comply with the dress code and invariably that leaves plenty of options, like the buffet or room slice or even alternate restaurants.

Is all that the OP wants to do. I have no doubt that lots of people like to do this and why should you feel in any way uncomfortable not being dressed up. My parents friends travel on Cunard and take part in all aspects of the voyage....they are in their 80's and the husband wears a blazer and slacks.....has not felt out of place at all. He was worried the first trip from what he had read.....don't you think it sad that someone in their 80's should be made uncomfortable!

In the end they had a fabulous time and have since been on a couple more transatlantic one of them being the 175 anniversary trip to Liverpool....all along wearing his blazer and slacks for formal nights.