Live From the Voyager

Ahoy Regent Seven Seas lovers! Lady Madeline here (actually that's no where close to my real name...I use my late black lab's name while posting on Cruise Critic). Thought I'd live blog and give you all an idea of what our 4th Regent trip is like.

Prince Albert and I departed Northern Michigan via car mid morning on Friday, June 5th, bound for Detroit Metro. We were fortunate to be booked on Virgin Atlantic on the 5:50 pm flight, direct to Heathrow. Easy check in...zipped through security and boarded on time to settle into our "pods" for the short hop across the pond.

Arriving early at Heathrow proves problematic as you are met by cheery Regent agents for your transfer, but have to park yourself for awhile until the bus is ready to go. We waited almost two hours but were rewarded by a side trip to Winchester on our trip to Southampton. Spent a nice hour in Winchester, paying homage to Jane Austen's grave in the cathedral, before continuing to Southampton where we waited less than 30 minutes before embarkation (right around noon). Proceeded immediately to the pool grill for lunch. Being sneaky...Lady Madeline scoped out our cabin (643) and found it open and clean. A steward came by and upon learning this was our suite said it was fine to leave our carry on luggage. Thank you Agus! Glanced at the excursion tickets left on the desk and noted two envelopes...one for Lady Madeline and one for a Mr. Paul V*****. Hmmm...has Prince Albert left me and am I to live with Mr. Paul V***** for 12 days?! Taking the envelope to the Destination Desk, the clerk promptly looked everything up in her computer, tore up Mr. V's tickets and handed me tickets for Prince Albert. Crisis averted. While doing this the announcement came that all cabins were ready. Unpacked and then it was snooze time....

Over slept until an announcement was heard about sailaway! Showered, changed and completely missed the party on the pool deck. Dined on lovely Italian fare in Sette Mari - warning...the veal parmesan is excellent but enormous. If we were at home, we'd have taken a "doggy bag." As usual, fine service and no waiting. As we were starting to fade, we made it to the Observation Lounge just in time to see a brilliant sunset as we approached the Isle of Wight. Only two other couples in the Lounge as we headed into open water. Time for bed. One thing to note...we like our room cold and Regent does a nice job with climate control in each suite. Slept like babies.

Saturday...woke up to find out American Pharoh won the Triple Crown! Yay!

Quick latte from the Coffee Connection on deck 5 and eggs benedict in La Veranda. Again...great servers, fast service, perfectly cooked eggs (I hate a badly poached egg).

Embarkation from the Constellation Theater was brisk for our only tender service of this particular cruise. Loaded onto a coach that proved to have a faulty microphone and had to be moved to a different coach, which backed up our shore excursion to Mt. Edgecumbe by about 30 minutes. This is when you appreciate coach (bus) drivers. The roads are impossibly narrow and we almost took out a small sedan approaching from the opposite direction. The drive across Plymouth into Cornwall was definitely worth it and the gardens at Edgecumbe are pretty spectaclar. Prince Albert and I agreed that the tour guide was less than stellar - one of those folks who think they're funny, and, alas...they're not.

Back on Voyager by 2:30 pm and a quick lunch back at the Pool Grill. I have to admit a weakness for the sweet potato fries. Prince Albert is on the Pool deck enjoying a cigar in the designated smoking area while I type away in the computer lounge. Others are complaining they cannot log into the system, but I have not had an issue - probably because I met with the IT guy yesterday and established an online account, which works perfectly here and on my I Phone.

Tonight is the Captain's party in the Constellation Theater and then we'll probably try the Compass Rose (will report on Prime 7 and Signatures later in the week). Since we're not big into the shows...I'm betting we'll turn in early as we round Land's End heading for tomorrow's port - Waterford, Ireland (217 nautical miles).

More tomorrow!

So happy that you will be posting live from our favorite ship! Your experience at Heathrow was the same as ours -- waiting a long time for the bus. However, the tour does make up for it.

Hope you enjoyed the Captain's Reception and that Compass Rose wasn't too crazy at the conclusion. It tends to get so busy after these events.

Looking forward to the next episode!

Ladymadeline, We were supposed to be on this cruise until a quad bypass and kidney removal changed our plans. I will be following your posts avidly especially about food service and weather. Have a wonderful time knowing there is an insanely jealous reader out there.

Glad to see you are off to an amazing start. I will be living vicariously.

Newlondon, sorry to hear of the need for surgery. Hope you on the road to recovery. Reading this should help speed you along.

Thanks Rachel, It was a tough 6 weeks. Actually, worst part was missing Barcelona to Copenhagen on Voyager. Second worst part was discovering Mariner was sold out of penthouses for SA cruise on which we would have spent our refund. Still, however, looking forward to Oceania for the same itinerary.

I've always enjoyed your posts and appreciate the good thoughts.

Bill

Thought we'd let you know we skipped the Captain's party last night...too much drama was unfolding on board!

As we weighed anchor in Plymouth we got no more than a few hundred yards when an announcement came through saying we were stopping for a medical emergency. Apparently a crew member was seriously ill and a helicopter would be approaching the ship to evacuate him to shore for further treatment. All guests were told to stay inside, close all balcony doors and avoid the pool area. We headed to a packed Observation Lounge to wait out the helicopter's arrival. We never did see it (though some guests flocked to press their noses to the glass overlooking the pool deck), but we certainly heard the copter hovering above the ship. Prince Albert was famished, so we decided to go to Compass Rose and as we went to the elevator, the curious guests were just leaving the area outside the pool deck and told us the helicopter had lowered a basket and the Voyager crew had assisted with loading their fellow crew member and up he went. Delayed in total about one hour, which the Captain assured us would be easily made up overnight, as we have low wind and calm seas.

As Travel Cat mentioned...Compass Rose was slammed. No window seat for us, but we had a nice table and lovely food - duck for me, lamb for Prince Albert. Afterwards we headed to the Horizon Lounge (the site of my earlier defeat in Trivia - came in second place) and had a night cap. Only two other couples in the Lounge. While strolling back to our suite, we heard an announcement that the crew member was currently at the hospital in Plymouth and responding well. Ray further thanked all guests with complying with directions during the evacuation.

Currently seeing the Irish countryside for the first time in my life. I do believe it is the "greenest" green I've ever seen. We dock at 11:00 am today. Sunny weather today again. Looking forward to our excursion to Scenic Inistioge and Woodstock Garden (did I mention I'm a sucker for gardens?).

I'll follow up later. By the way...the reason we didn't win at Trivia yesterday? Couldn't come up with a tree that uses all the vowels - a,e,i,o,u. Can you?

:)

I'll follow up later. By the way...the reason we didn't win at Trivia yesterday? Couldn't come up with a tree that uses all the vowels - a,e,i,o,u. Can you?

:)

We know, but then we had the same question on our cruise in May! (No, we didn't come up with the answer during the trivia :rolleyes:)

Enjoying your posts! Can you tell me who the evening bartender in the Ob. Lounge is? Last year we had a young man named Jan who was marvelous! Very creative, knows his stuff....!

Linda - unfortunately, Jan has left Regent. He was definitely one of the best bartenders we have ever had. It seems that many of the bartenders are now female and from Eastern Europe. We did enjoy the one we had on the Mariner recently (that you met after we got off of the ship). Still interested in knowing who the bartender is in the Observation Lounge.

It is so good to be reading about the Voyager - we do miss her.

Ladymadeline, We were supposed to be on this cruise until a quad bypass and kidney removal changed our plans. I will be following your posts avidly especially about food service and weather. Have a wonderful time knowing there is an insanely jealous reader out there.

Here's hoping your recovery and rehab is going well and that you are cruising again soon. I went through something similar (without the kidney removal) last summer and was able to go back on the Paul Gauguin 10 weeks later. A relaxing, tropical destination was perfect to make me feel like I was getting to be myself again. And almost a year later I feel terrific. Hope you have something planned.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Ladymadeline here with your U.K. highlights, including gardens at Woodstock and the lovely village of Inistioge.

Yesterday was another day of mostly cloudless skies and temperatures around 60 degrees. Ray Solarie is the Cruise Director this time and starts off every morning with his same forecast - he declares that it is chilly! Ray...Ray...Ray...you are clearly catering to hundreds of passengers from places like Arizona and Florida, because for Prince Albert and myself...this is lovely, warm weather! When I checked the temps in Northern Michigan yesterday it was 49 degrees. We love this weather. Perfect for walking and even nice enough to lounge by the pool deck with just a light sweater. Prince Albert played a little Paddle Tennis and knocked around the putting green.

But I digress...

The trip up to Kilkenny County and the gardens at Woodstock was breath taking. I've never seen such well kept farms in my life. The Holstein cows looked like they'd been scrubbed and brushed and the sheep looked like fluff balls dotting the hills. Our tour guide was interesting in a quirky sort of way. She kept telling us about interesting places in the area, but then would invariably say, "...but we won't be able to go there today." Or, ..."but that's not part of this tour."

Woodstock Gardens are very unusual and have trees from around the world that were planted in the Victorian era. Due to the climate, the trees grow amazingly well. Saw some Western Cedars and Redwoods that were as big as I've seen in California. The tour guide, John, was excellent. Sadly, the mansion burned in the 1920's. All that remains are walls covered in ivy.

Inistioge, while quaint, has absolutely nothing to do. Only 1 cafe was open and a few folks grabbed a cup or tea of coffee (Prince Albert had to try the scone with clotted cream). Even the two churches were locked. Our guide explained that since the A road was built about 6 years ago, little villages can't sustain businesses as all the traffic has by passed them. Kind of like our old Route 66 in the southwest U.S. Time has passed by these little villages. Sort of sad....

Back on board we opted have a cocktail in the Observation Lounge and met some nice people who were on Voyager for the 9th time! Dinner in Sette Mari and another fascinating discussion with folks from Illinois (ladymadeline grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago, so we had alot in common).

As it stays soooo light, we bundled up on our balcony and enjoyed sailing down the river and out to the Irish Sea. We were treated to people in yards and along the river waving and calling out to us as we sailed out.

Woke today to brilliant skies and we were off to Penryhn Castle. Great tour guide who really knew her Welsh history and kept us well informed to and from the National Trust property. Being a Downton Abbey fan, we particularly liked the tour of the "below stairs" portion of a large house. I could almost see Mrs. Patmore and Daisy in the kitchen and Bates shining his lordship's shoes.

There is an impressive collection of railway locomotives and carriages in the former stables and a gorgeous walled garden complete with palm trees.

Back on board now and getting a message to join Prince Albert up on the sun deck. So much fun....more tomorrow.

Thanks for the wonderful reports. It's one of our favorite itineraries. We loved the countryside of the British Isles more than the cities, but we tend to be country mice anyway.

What I especially like is that you comment often on the excursions. Those matter a lot to us, and many good folks don't bother talking as much about that aspect of their cruise, since so many other people seem to like to hear more about the ship, the food, the wine. Thanks for including both.

Happy sails!

Wendy, Thank you for your kind thoughts. All is going well. DW and I are now counting down to a Thanksgiving cruise on O in SA. We wanted Mariner but by the time I knew this Voyager trip was a no go it was too late to get a PH so we moved to O which has an identical itinerary on the same dates. They have since reversed the order of ports, sensible, since one doesn't want two cruise ships in small ports on the same day. We also await a 4 day private game lodge experience ; so, I am feeling we are OK.

Once again thanks for your concern.

newlondon: Also hope that your recovery continues going well and that you will be in tip top shape for your November cruise. I thought that they changed the itinerary because they thought I would leave the Mariner and go onto the Nautica looking for you (lol). Actually, we will be in the same port (East London) on December 1st).

ladymadeline: The cruise down the river sounds amazing. Really would enjoy doing that part of the itinerary!

Quick update to our day in Wales. Currently just pulled away from Holyhead, bound for Dublin.

Had a quiet afternoon after our excursion and were once again soundly thrashed at trivia. Questions are impossibly hard. Tea was good though.

Wanted to dine in one of the specialty restaurants and resorted to an old trick we learned on our first Regent cruise. Show up early, dress nicely, look longingly around the room and basically beg the maitre 'd to let you in. So, Prince Albert dons his best Paul Stuart navy blazer and wears a natty plaid bow tie. Ladymadeline sports a silk Eileen Fisher twinset and silk slacks and her latest silver wedges (sorry ladies, but my days of high pumps or stilettos are OVER!) It works! We're in!

To answer "new london's " question - I think the food varies from venue to venue. The pool grill is pedestrian....very average fare, decent burgers, salads and, of course, the gelato/ice cream bar is good. Sette Mari is above average, but nothing spectacular. Our experience tonight in Signatures was amazing! Foie Gras and Escargot for appetizers, Beef Tornadoes were so tender! A lovely de-constructed ravioli with lobster...oh my...my! Attentive service and higher quality wines than Compass Rose or Sette Mari.

We're happy little campers. Prince Albert has just retired to the Horizon deck to smoke a cigar and enjoy an after dinner drink. We'll soon head to the theater to see Ray Solaire's ventroloquist show (pretty good...have seen it once before).

Tomorrow we are back to the Emerald Isle. Stay tuned for more from Ladymadeline and Prince Albert!

Thanks Jacquie, actually didn't realize the overlap. You and I have communicated about the excursions. We both lost out as the dinner in Walvis Bay won't happen:(. The O tours are expensive but I was intrigued to compare the premium trips on each line and amazingly O while more to me wasn't that bad compared to what R is charging for their select tours; $200 more.

Thanks again TC for your well wishes.