Caribbean water temps

LovetheCubs

Looking at a cruise to the Caribbean in march of next year. Has anyone taken kids (10 and 6) and had a problem getting in the water in any of the Virgin Islands? I know it's a personal preference but will we need wet suits to snorkel? Will it be miserable?

Where do you live? We have northerners in unheated pools in Orlando in March.

This is what I found when I Googled your question:

"Water temperatures in the Virgin Islands do not change greatly from summer to winter, however the 4 or 5 degree change is noticeable to those acclimated to consistently warm tropical weather. In the summer months the water temperature is about 83 degrees and in the winter about 79 degrees."

Don

Where do you live? We have northerners in unheated pools in Orlando in March.

This is what I found when I Googled your question:

"Water temperatures in the Virgin Islands do not change greatly from summer to winter, however the 4 or 5 degree change is noticeable to those acclimated to consistently warm tropical weather. In the summer months the water temperature is about 83 degrees and in the winter about 79 degrees."

Don

I figured some will swim is really cold water. We live in SWFL and like warmer water. Doesn't have to be a hot tub but I don't think an unheated pool in March would be our cup of tea!

I figured some will swim is really cold water. We live in SWFL and like warmer water. Doesn't have to be a hot tub but I don't think an unheated pool in March would be our cup of tea!

We spend a few weeks in SWFL (I assume you mean Southwest Florida) every March - and find the unheated pool, as well as the Gulf of Mexico water ideal for swimming - much like that along the south shore of Long Island (NY) in August: high 70's to about 80- which is about what the water temp at St. Maarten is in January - and probably much like the Virgin Islands.

What is your ideal water temp?

We spend a few weeks in SWFL (I assume you mean Southwest Florida) every March - and find the unheated pool, as well as the Gulf of Mexico water ideal for swimming - much like that along the south shore of Long Island (NY) in August: high 70's to about 80- which is about what the water temp at St. Maarten is in January - and probably much like the Virgin Islands.

What is your ideal water temp?

Yes, I meant southwest Florida!! That was a great comparrison thanks. I find the gulf water right now cool but not cold. I am not sure what an ideal temp would be! We went to Nassau in May of last year and found the water there perfect then! (If that helps with comparrison!)

St. Thomas water is almost body temp. Conversely, the Southern Caribbean water is much cooler! That "gulf stream" really is what heats up the water!

Depends on how DEEP in the Southern Caribbean. Water in the ABC's (Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao) is very warm ALL year. ;)

Looking at a cruise to the Caribbean in march of next year. Has anyone taken kids (10 and 6) and had a problem getting in the water in any of the Virgin Islands? I know it's a personal preference but will we need wet suits to snorkel? Will it be miserable?

Obviously water temperatures are a personal issue. However, if you must know the actual expected water temperatures, there are lots of sites on the internet where you can find out the actual values. Use them.

DON

Obviously water temperatures are a personal issue. However, if you must know the actual expected water temperatures, there are lots of sites on the internet where you can find out the actual values. Use them.

DON

Most people tend to be very helpful on here. Some are rude.

Obviosuly I already checked websites I was asking for personal experiences. Especially since I said "has anyone taken kids"! If you need to be a rude troll move on...don't comment!!!!