Rengent's Machu Picchu - worth it??

Has anyone done Regents Machu Picchu post/pre adventure? My husband and I will be on a cruise next year that ends in Lima. We are both very interested in Machu Picchu. Looking over what Regent offers, it seems to be a little light in the amount of time spend there and when you arrive at the actual site - no sunrise, busy part of the day, etc. I would love to hear from any of you that have done this post/pre cruise with Regent. Has any one done this on their own and stayed at the Belmont?

Irish witchy, we were too slow to book the post cruise MP with Regent so booked an independent itinerary with A&K. Best thing we did! We spent longer -8 days total - to minimise the risk of altitude sickness and took the chance too see more of an area to which we'd probably not return. So, disembarked Mariner in Lima, spent one night in the city and did a cooking class with a market trip. We flew to Cusco the next morning and stayed three nights in the Sacred Valley, acclimatising and exploring the neighbouring towns with our guide. Amazing! Took the train to MP and stayed overnight - not at the Belmond in the park but at the Sanctuary Lodge at Agua Calientes which was spectacular. So we had two visits to MP before taking the train back to Cusco and spending a couple of nights at the Belmond there. Loved the whole thing as you can tell from my blog which begins here http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/2014/2/9/must-keep-up.html (and goes on...and on...)

I was anxious about altitude sickness from the get go, but taking it slowly was the answer for us. Hope that helps!

We took Oceania luxury (Belmond) tour this past November so would assume it is very similar. It was very rushed and tiring. My suggestion would be to go with Belmond on your own. The Hiram Birkham train trip is wonderful, Belmond Montaserio hotel in Cusco is very special. I would then include the Belmond Sanctuary hotel right at Machu Picchu and spend a relaxing time exploring. It is a very special place and not to be rushed.

I would amen Gilly. Don't rush it. There is much to see and enjoy. I enjoyed it even though I was seriously afflicted with altitude illness and will never ever take another high altitude trip. Machu Picchu is simply breathtaking even for one who feels like he's 150 years old.

I misremembered the hotel name in Agua Calientes in my earlier reply. Sorry! Actually we stayed at the Inkaterra resort - very luxurious, rather quieter than the Belmond in the park, we understand, which has a large number of tour groups passing through.

We did Machu Picchu is part of a land trip in Peru. The biggest negative to doing it with Regent pre or post cruise is the lack of time to acclimate to the altitude. Even someone who is very active and healthy can get altitude sickness, which would totally ruin the trip. I did not get altitude sickness, but I could definitely tell we were at higher altitude, felt just kind of tired and run down when walking, even though we had had a week to acclimate. And there is a lot of walking.

Rachel, I think that was what spooked me about the possibility of getting altitude sickness - that it could get anyone, regardless of age or level of fitness. I couldn't bear the thought of spending so much time and effort and yes, money too, only to find myself grounded and unable to continue. I wasn't prepared to take the medication which some say prevents it, so we spent more time getting there and yes, we still felt the effects but were able to manage them. I knew we were unlikely to have another chance to go there, too. We loved every minute though - not just MP itself but that whole area and the people who live there. Wonderful!

Well, I think if you want to take your time and at your speed-do it on your own. To us it seems more enjoyable and you do what you want and when you want to do it. Leaving you time to rest and and take it easy.

We did a land trip and stayed at the Hotel Monasterio beautiful property. They had oxygen piped into the room which helped a lot. Walking around and I am in excellent shape was a bit tiresome. Just take it slow and you will be fine. We took the blue train up which was very nice if you go first class.

When you go down to Machu Pichu you will be acclimated. It rains often so be sure to bring an umbrella.

PS. This was not a cruise tour it was private. We avoid cruise tours at all costs.

Miles

Strongly recommend kuoda travel. Based in cusco they will customize your trip to anything you want time hotels etc. We had them customize a group trip to Manchu Pichu including a stay a the Sanctuary at Machu Pichu and two days longer than the ships tour for less than 1/2 the cost and was absolutely wonderful. All ships tours are grossly overpriced and too tight. Private tours are so much better and Kuada run by Merri Calderon is th BEST

Strongly recommend kuoda travel. Based in cusco they will customize your trip to anything you want time hotels etc. We had them customize a group trip to Manchu Pichu including a stay a the Sanctuary at Machu Pichu and two days longer than the ships tour for less than 1/2 the cost and was absolutely wonderful. All ships tours are grossly overpriced and too tight. Private tours are so much better and Kuada run by Merri Calderon is th BEST

We just booked a custom PRIVATE tour with Kuoda. We tried to find a cruise where we could "add on" a tour to Machu Picchu but after doing the research we decided to just do a land tour there and no cruise. We are also then able to plan this at a time when it is not the rainy season and spend more time there. Feel free to email me about the details. We are doing a 10 day trip with all Belmond hotels, going next year at the end of May. Carol@CarolWolfe.com

We did a quick trip to MP off a cruise ship. Made all our own arrangements including staying a night at the Sanctuary (a must do from my perspective) and a private guide for 6 of us. We took the medication and it worked perfectly for us. We couldn't take any more time to go and felt we were not likely to get back there so took the chance that the medication would do the trick. Would have loved to go longer but it just wasn't in the cards for us. MP is just a small part of what there is to see. What a beautiful and historic area.

If you can take longer by all means you should but if you have limited time i would go for whatever time you have. You can easily make the arrangements on your own or have an agency make the arrangements for you. Make sure you have a guide. It was much cheaper than what the cruise line was offering.

Have a great trip whatever you decide.

I have not done a cruise to Peru, but have traveled in Peru. It is relatively easy to put together a trip either guided or independent. I highly recommend staying at the Sanctuary Lodge up on Machu Picchu - you must book well in advance. It is amazing and quiet after all of the day trippers are gone. Sunrise is also amazing. In terms of altitude, Cuzco is actually higher (over 10K feet) so if you fly in there, you will likely experience any altitude issues there before you get to Machu Picchu. I would recommend some additional time in the sacred valley outside of Cuzco and Machu Picchu. A good travel agent and/or private guide can help put the trip together. Have a great trip!

I am working on one thru Ker and Downey adding in Colca and another stop. Some hotels are Belmont ..others a step up. Also want the HB train both ways. To me the TLc and food will be worth it.

This will. Be after my cruise with Regent.

Question for those who have done the REGENT Machu Piccu Pre-Cruise:

It looks like there are only 2 general flight arrival times into Rio...either 5-7 AM or 10 PM-Midnight.

If you have the early arrival, what does Regent do with you between arrival time and hotel check-in time?

If you have a late arrival, are you checked in that night (with no time for dinner) and then up 4 hours later to catch the Cusco flight?

...or do you try to deviate and fly in the night before, pay for an extra hotel night to try to get some rest?

Edited by BBfromCA

Question for those who have done the REGENT Machu Piccu Pre-Cruise:

It looks like there are only 2 general flight arrival times into Rio...either 5-7 AM or 10 PM-Midnight.

If you have the early arrival, what does Regent do with you between arrival time and hotel check-in time?

If you have a late arrival, are you checked in that night (with no time for dinner) and then up 4 hours later to catch the Cusco flight?

...or do you try to deviate and fly in the night before, pay for an extra hotel night to try to get some rest?

I just checked the tour from Lima (I stated earlier that I had done the Deluxe tour with Oceania this past Nov.) it is identical to what Regent is offering.

I would suggest flying in early or the evening prior (this is what we did) and we then booked the same hotel (Country Club Lima) for the extra night. We booked the hotel for the extra night on our own and not at Regent prices and they put us in the same room for the 2 nights. It will give you time to see Lima and relax.

Those that arrived the same evening had to get up at 3AM to ready for the flight to Cusco. It is exhausting enough and 3AM makes it worse.

Honestly, do it on your own because this tour is too rushed. You will save $$ and also have time to appreciate the beauty of Machu Picchu. I hope this helps.

We also did this with Oceania and spent very little time in Machu Picchu-I think we were only there about 2 hours.- plus we had a tour guide who rattled

on and on so there were areas that we ended up missing.

Just getting there--planes ( our plane was delayed several hours due to wind and due to the tiny airport they had to briing food in for us) ,trains, busses ---and the altitude was a problem for me and I was 55 and in good shape--I woke up through the night at our hotel and my heart was beating so fast--scared me to death!

A gentleman in our group had a stroke at dinner that same night. Our bus couldn't make it through the narrow

street where the hotel was located--so we were dropped off at the bottom of the hill -many people had a hard

time walkIng due to the altitude.Not my best cruise memory

I have to ask any idea why you had issues with the altitude? Do you have heart issues? I'm asking because my husband has a new stent, but hasn't had issues in Quito, but I don't want husband to have issues here.

Sadly, there is no simple way of predicting whether altitude sickness will affect anyone. Even climbers who go to high altitudes frequently can be affected on one trip but not on another. Taking time to adjust to the thinner air is the best advice anyone could suggest. Oh, and drinking the mate tea made from the coca leaves which can help.

...Oh, and drinking the mate tea made from the coca leaves which can help.

Oh, just a slight correction. I don't believe that mate tea contains coca leaves. Coca tea is commonly available in Peru, but mate is a different herb (and available in other countries, unlike tea containing coca.)

Altitude sickness can affect anyone, no matter age or fitness level. You wouldn't know you are prone to it unless you have previously been at high altitudes without acclimation time and had no trouble.

Coca tea does help some people but not everyone. You really need at least 48-72 hours or more to acclimate to the elevation.