Horse racing??

Always loved the horse racing on RCL. It was always by the pool. As others said, there were 6 horses. There were 2 or 3 dice. The CD shook the dice and whatever numbers came up, those horses moved one space. So, if there was a 1,2,3, then horses 1,2,3 each moved one space. Duplicate numbers moved that horse up 2 or3 spaces.as for the owners race, early in the week the horses were auctioned off. There were occasions where there wasn't much interest in bidding so horses went for $25 or $50. As folks got into it, the bidding on subsequent horses increase. On a Christmas cruise that was packed with families, the bidding got up to over $1000! It was crazy. The prize for the owners race was the total of all the 6 bids,

We bought a horse on one cruise, and actually won. Our prize was a bit over $1000 if I recall. We bought one of the first horses, before the bidding got crazy on the later horses. It was a blast. Wish they would bring it back.

There was Horse Racing on both of my Skyward cruises, the Festivale cruise, The Regent Sea, and the Enchantment in 2000.

They all had it poolside, on sea days, using 3 dice in a chuck-a-luk cage. Which ever numbers came up, those horses moved forward 1 space for each die showing their number.

On the Enchantment, my Daughter, who was just about 7 at the time, wanted to be a jockey. She didn't exactly understand the "eye candy" concept for picking the riders, so she got turned down. However, the cruise director let her flip the cage to roll the dice, so she still had a great time.

I used to have video of the whole deal, but it inadvertently got recorded over when she and one of her friends did a school project.

On every cruise since, I have noted on my survey card that they need to bring back the horse races. To me, it's one of the most fun activities aboard.

I can remember back on our very first cruise in 1991 on HAL participating in horse races. We pooled our money together with two other couples to purchase a horse during the opening auction. They did go for a few hundred dollars back then.

I remember each group would take their horse with them everywhere onboard to hype the race. While one horse "wasn't watched closely enough" someone (a competing team who shall remain nameless) stole it and put a ransom on it. Messages left all over the ship seeking information on its whereabouts. One way to recoup part of the initial charge of ownership.

We did end up winning the race and ended up a few dollars ahead.

Quite an enjoyable time. Haven't seen horse racing since.

Loved it! Miss it!

Why did they get rid of it.

1 yr we were going to name our horse Chgo

Mobster. I packed a fake gun & handcuffs

And fake money, cigars etc. it would of been

Great. But lol they saw it through the xray.

Had to go to the naughty room and explain myself.

And at this time horse racing was over. They kind

Of just stared at me. Was pretty funny. No harm meant. Also

There were other people in the naughty room with handcuffs and

They were not playing the horse races. Lol!

We Just wanted a well dressed gangster horse to walk around with.

We bought one every time we went. Loved it. Highlight of our trip.

Bring it back RCCL. The ships need more Fun things to do with

Interactions with other people.

It really was fun. Hope they never stop the QUEST!

When we sailed with him a few years ago, the CD was Dan Whitney and he brought back a number of the old cruise standbys including horse racing and the famed skit "If I were not upon the Sea...". Not sure if Dan is still reprising the favorites of times past, but perhaps someone who has sailed with him recently can let us know.

On Radiance to Alaska May, 2013

9097468634_79d67d3d84_b.jpg

While it's nice they decided to have the Horse Races, that's a pretty poor showing.

When they were held poolside, there would be a couple hundred or more people crowded around both decks screaming and yelling. The track was also longer and the horses were the stick ponies w\about 5 feet high that you could dress up.

We were just talking about the horse racing. My husband and I would always bet on a horse and it was really quite fun!:)

When our children sailed with us we bought a horse with our family. The kids did decorate it and took it with them everywhere! My brother had broken his leg and so the horse was called - "Break a Leg" and raced the horse with his crutch. Our daughters dressed up like nurses and though we didn't get first place, we met many people and had a ball. This was on Empress of the Seas back in 2003.

Your experience is similar to mine. We bought a horse for the family to decorate. We are from the San Diego area and named the horse "Del Mar Dreamin" after our local race track. We took the horse to dinner one night. It actually turned out to be a good investment as our horse won the majority of races! Good fun at the time - Summer 2005 on Jewel

Edited by SelectSys

While it's nice they decided to have the Horse Races, that's a pretty poor showing.

When they were held poolside, there would be a couple hundred or more people crowded around both decks screaming and yelling. The track was also longer and the horses were the stick ponies w\about 5 feet high that you could dress up.

This was in Alaska so not much happening poolside!!