Specialty dining on Coral Princess

Wishing on a star

I am looking online, and do not know if I am liking the menus they are showing?

and I am wondering if the Bayou does not double as a Steak House? I am a little more adventurous. But I and my husband would hope to actually get a steak/filet. (not the lame' beef medallions' and offerings in the MDR)

Is this not possible?

I had generated an interest in trying SHARE. But, it did not go on the Coral.

Can anyone suggest any dishes at either Bayou or Sabatinis that would be worth the surcharge?

If I sound a bit hesitant or negative or jaded, it is because the last Princess cruise we were on was a 'shorty', and the food and dining options (as well as the service) were definitely under par (poor).

Edited by Wishing on a star

Our group of eight ate at the Bayou last week and were all very pleased. Seven of us ordered the filet, and all agreed that it was outstanding and everyone's was cooked exactly as ordered. One of the best filets I have had in years. One of our group ordered the prawns and she loved it. Most of us had a spicy peel and eat shrimp appetizer that was excellent. And of course desserts were great. We did not eat at Sabatinis.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

The Bayou Cafe is a steak house as well as Cajun dishes. We eat there more often than in the main dining room when we are on the Coral Princess. We love the filet but also try the Cajun dishes too. You can eat all you want so why not try something new. If you don't like it, don't eat it and ask for something else. Sometimes we order one serving of something and share it to see if we like it.

The Bayou Cafe is a steak house as well as Cajun dishes. We eat there more often than in the main dining room when we are on the Coral Princess. We love the filet but also try the Cajun dishes too. You can eat all you want so why not try something new. If you don't like it, don't eat it and ask for something else. Sometimes we order one serving of something and share it to see if we like it.

I did not realize the specialty restaurants allow you to order more than 1 main and/or appetizer!

I did not realize the specialty restaurants allow you to order more than 1 main and/or appetizer!

I've had the waiter bring out two just because I was umming and awing over which to order. So she took it upon herself to bring both.

Thank you guys so much!

That is good to hear.

Will def. go for Bayou Cafe. We can get a filet, and try some of the more Cajun dishes too.

Lots of input from the Coral, post drydock, and the food is getting great reviews. So looking forward to Alaska!

Here's a link to a PDF copy of the Bayou Cafe's menu; $20/pp and an additional $5 to add an 8 oz lobster tail:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/BayouCafeMenu-Sample-2014.pdf

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'll be waiting for that review! And hoping to get a non-cajun filet, too.

And, Jasperdo, thanks SO much for that link to the photo and your photostream. Best comprehensive photo-tour of the Coral that I have seen.

Can't imagine deck 14/15 with the new green outdoor carpeting, instead of the Princess Blue????

Hope the new furnishings, carpeting, in the Horizon Court are nice!

Cost of Specialty Dining????

$20 per person plus $5 if you want the lobster tail???

When can you make reservations??

Sabatini's & Crown Grill cost $25 and includes lobster.

Bayou Café is $25 & an extra $5 for an 8 oz lobster tail; my apologies for previously incorrectly posting the cost for the Bayou Café at $20. :o

Sterling Steakhouse is $25 and lobster is not available on the menu.

SHARE is $39 and has a more trendy menu.

Here's a link to all of their specialty restaurants (including PDFs of their menus) and not all of them on her for on every ship.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

You make reservations on the ship by either calling the DINE line or usually during embarkation the restaurant will have a table taking reservations. Sometimes I've had only one restaurant taking reservations but for all specialty restaurants.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The Bayou was $25 per person last week, I do not remember the add on for lobster. Perhaps Eagle and Hawk can check it out. We made reservations on board.

I found the $5 extra charge for the lobster on the current copy of the Bayou Café's menu on the Princess website but it may have changed & not been updated on their website.

"Red Pepper Butter Broiled 8 oz. Lobster

Add $5.00"

Edited by Astro Flyer

Carpetbagger’s Trinity Smothered Filet of Beef* is the listing on the menu. What is the Carpetbagger Trinity Smothered all about. What's it smothered with and can you get the filet any other way?

I didn't have a clue but searching for it this was one description that I found but is not specific to Princess & hopefully you can get a regular filet mignon.

"It consists of an end cut of steak, such as scotch fillet. A pocket in the meat is made, into which oysters are stuffed and sutured with toothpicks or thread".

Additionally here's a recipe from the Food Network's website:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/carpetbagger-steaks-recipe.html