OBC: a good reference article by CC

BBMacLaird

A very interesting conversation, sceen-gem and uktog. I've shared it with the team in Miami.

The longtime readers of this forum know we've made policy changes based on suggestions from our CC community in the past, and I expect this conversation will be reviewed and considered.

Thank you for caring so much about Azamara Club Cruises that you'd share the suggestions. I'll let you know if I hear any HQ responses next week.

A very interesting conversation, screen-gem and uktog. I've shared it with the team in Miami.

The longtime readers of this forum know we've made policy changes based on suggestions from our CC community in the past, and I expect this conversation will be reviewed and considered.

@Bonnie,

No matter what 'Miami' might decide, I am most impressed that Az execs actually listen to input from the community. Their assignment of time & resources to the position of CBO is also remarkable, and unlike any of the several cruise lines I've sailed on in the past.

BTW, I was just kidding about the ShoreEX Credit acronym for the EBB class of OSM. (but 100% serious about "LDD").

The issue where lines now exist is at Land Discoveries which usually does not open until 1300 and often is not fully staffed. This was never an issue so long as guests could prebook on line, pay by credit card and then switch it to an onboard credit in some form...

@uktog,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and thorough explanation. I now better understand various comments about OSM and Discoveries that I've read here and on other threads. No wonder there is some frustration on the matter. People who plan their vacations well in advance are usually destination-driven. They book their cruises early, and are be inclined to book shorex early as well in order to maximize their destination experience. I can well imagine their reaction to now be told that they can't spend their Early Booking Bonus on their chosen Land Discoveries until they arrive on-board. That's 100% opposed to their personality type (planners). It seems to me that the new AZ policy is ill-conceived; it frustrates the very clientele the company should want to attract. Hopefully, 'Miami' will be sensitive to these concerns and make appropriate refinements to the EBB/OSM program.

• 2 weeks later...
@Bonnie,

No matter what 'Miami' might decide, I am most impressed that Az execs actually listen to input from the community. Their assignment of time & resources to the position of CBO is also remarkable, and unlike any of the several cruise lines I've sailed on in the past.

BTW, I was just kidding about the ShoreEX Credit acronym for the EBB class of OSM. (but 100% serious about "LDD").

@uktog,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and thorough explanation. I now better understand various comments about OSM and Discoveries that I've read here and on other threads. No wonder there is some frustration on the matter. People who plan their vacations well in advance are usually destination-driven. They book their cruises early, and are be inclined to book shorex early as well in order to maximize their destination experience. I can well imagine their reaction to now be told that they can't spend their Early Booking Bonus on their chosen Land Discoveries until they arrive on-board. That's 100% opposed to their personality type (planners). It seems to me that the new AZ policy is ill-conceived; it frustrates the very clientele the company should want to attract. Hopefully, 'Miami' will be sensitive to these concerns and make appropriate refinements to the EBB/OSM program.

OK.....so my take away from all this is...my invoice says $"400 Onboard Credits" for booking early...and this can NOT be used for anything on board.:eek:

I have an inquiry in to AZ..we shall see what they say.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been decided that we will no longer use the term OSM (on-board spending money). The term is being retired! It was simply too confusing to those of us conditioned to use the term OBC (on-board credit) all these years.

Please note there are still different sub-types of OBC:

A) refundable OBC (paid for by someone besides ACC, typically TA. Since cash was used to purchase, this OBC is refundable)

B) non-refundable OBC (offered by ACC as a booking incentive, and no cash exchanged)

B1) non-refundable/applicable to all on-board services & products

B2) non-refundable/applicable only on our Land Discoveries tours and offered in the past on select voyages as a sales promotion.

Our management was made aware of the terminology confusion via these Cruise Critic forum conversations! So thank you for your passionate opinions voiced on Cruise Critic.

Bonnie,

This is great news. Thanks for taking this up the COC...

The elimination of "OSM" should help to clarify things, but only if the different kinds of OBCs are clearly described (to Customers and TAs) and then used on booking confirmations, invoices, etc.

Your post mentioned four different terms: A, B, B1, and B2.

Are these the terms that will be seen? IE, on a booking confirmation form, will customer see "$400 OBC-B2"?

Or perhaps "$400 OBC - Land Discovery Only"?

For a B2B booking credit, will it show as "$400 OBC-B1"?

"$400 OBC Unrestricted"?

I'm disappointed they're not going to use the acronym ShoreEX Credits. for the Land Discovery Only type of credit:-)

Edited by screen-gem

What is the status of being able to prebook tours using Land Discoveries credits?

The policy as I currently understand it is that we have to use those credits only once on board. This is actually causing me to book private excursions for the places I have prioritized seeing. I do not want to risk having a tour sold out and thus scrambling for an excursion while at sea.

Bonnie,

This is great news. Thanks for taking this up the COC...

The elimination of "OSM" should help to clarify things, but only if the different kinds of OBCs are clearly described (to Customers and TAs) and then used on booking confirmations, invoices, etc.

Your post mentioned four different terms: A, B, B1, and B2.

Are these the terms that will be seen? IE, on a booking confirmation form, will customer see "$400 OBC-B2"?

Or perhaps "$400 OBC - Land Discovery Only"?

For a B2B booking credit, will it show as "$400 OBC-B1"?

"$400 OBC Unrestricted"?

I'm disappointed they're not going to use the acronym ShoreEX Credits. for the Land Discovery Only type of credit:-)

I'm disappointed as well...it would have made for quite a number of lively conversations :)

As for our labeling the type of OBC on materials using A, B, B1 or B2, I made up those categories while I was typing. But I do agree we need to be better about explaining what type of OBC one is receiving. I will keep reminding those that can do something about that.

What is the status of being able to prebook tours using Land Discoveries credits?

The policy as I currently understand it is that we have to use those credits only once on board. This is actually causing me to book private excursions for the places I have prioritized seeing. I do not want to risk having a tour sold out and thus scrambling for an excursion while at sea.

The ability to use OBC to pre-book [tours, specialty restaurants, spa services] is always a point of discussion. I have no update on the status at this time.

As for our labeling the type of OBC on materials using A, B, B1 or B2, I made up those categories while I was typing. But I do agree we need to be better about explaining what type of OBC one is receiving.

Understood.

The key attribute (from the perspective of the beancounters) is whether the credits are refundable or not. I'd expect at a minimum they'll want to clearly label them OBC ref and OBC non-ref.

Please do keep reminding your colleagues in Marketing that it's critical to get the terminology right. The issue with the limited scope of the EBB type of credits is quite significant. I've sailed with a number of other lines, and never encountered OBCs that were restricted in that manner. No wonder, then, that pax arrive on board and find they have a credit that can't be spend on anything other than LD.

With the demise of "OSM", this would also be a good time for ACC to review/refresh (and re-communicate) the policy re advance bookings of Land Discoveries which, as I understand it, can't be paid for with OBCs. What should be a positive is turning into a source of annoyance for some pax.

Edited by screen-gem

I agree wholeheartedly about the credit (given for early booking) for land discoveries being made available for prebooking. In our case we have earmarked a couple of excursions as "must dos, without exception" and yet we cannot book them now, using our credit . It seems a bit silly that we have been given the credit, yet cannot use it to do our planning. Is this Azamara's way of ensuring that not every passenger will use all their credit and the cruise line ends up with some of this credit unspent?? Hence, a saving for them?

New to Azamara and we have an OBC question. We have plain generic OBC from Azamara and OBC from our TA. How does Azamara keep track of which is spent. Is there an order in which it is used? Just wondering because the OBC from our TA is refundable where the OBC from Azamara is not.

New to Azamara and we have an OBC question. We have plain generic OBC from Azamara and OBC from our TA. How does Azamara keep track of which is spent. Is there an order in which it is used? Just wondering because the OBC from our TA is refundable where the OBC from Azamara is not.

This refundable vs. non-refundable issue is common among many cruise lines and they all take from the non-refundable first and once that hits zero, they start taking from the refundable so at the end of the cruise you are able to take the any of the refundable OBC off the ship with you in cash.

The response from rallydave is correct; the purser will take from the non-refundable first.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, please can anyone enlighten me what is the criteria for getting OBC for back to back cruises ? As you can see by my signiture we are doing b2b in August so I filled the form in and sent it off,now I still haven't had a responce from that email but I did phone customer services about some thing else and asked if we have go it and she said no we weren't entitled to it.I don't think what we paid for the 2 cruises was cheap by any means so just wondering what the reason could be.This will be our 4th and 5th cruises with Azamara and have never had any OBC from any where yet I read here that people have so much they can't spend it :rolleyes::confused::(

Hi, please can anyone enlighten me what is the criteria for getting OBC for back to back cruises ? As you can see by my signiture we are doing b2b in August so I filled the form in and sent it off,now I still haven't had a responce from that email but I did phone customer services about some thing else and asked if we have go it and she said no we weren't entitled to it.I don't think what we paid for the 2 cruises was cheap by any means so just wondering what the reason could be.This will be our 4th and 5th cruises with Azamara and have never had any OBC from any where yet I read here that people have so much they can't spend it :rolleyes::confused::(

I think you need to apply for the Back to back OBC after you book

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan/extended-voyages-program

Edited by leo178

One question is when did you book the cruise? If it was after the 14th December 2015 then there should not be a problem in getting b2b OBC, presumably as you have completed the form you have read the page on the UK website https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/plan/extended-voyages-programme

We did complete the form when we added a 7 day cruise to the one we had already booked for August this year, I did get an acknowledgment however as we always book with a TA they actually took over and got the OBC added to both cruises.

If it was booked before that date then you should have received the extended voyage discount in which case there is no entitlement to OBC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi all and thanks for your replies so far.

We booked on the 2nd of this month and I put in my request on the 11th July through the Azamara web page that details it. It said to do this within the 14 days after booking.I also emailed my T.A and she also sent the details.As I said above they haven't answered my request I only know they are refusing it because of my conversation with the lady at customer services.Do you think because we've booked a guaranteed stateroom,we aren't entitled to it maybe ?

Perhaps Bonnie may be able to find out for me ?? Otherwise any idea who I should ring or email ?

Thank you

It makes no sense that back-to-back OBC needs to be applied for. Azamara knows you're doing a back-to-back. The OBC should just be applied to your account, as a matter of course.

Mine always has been, the only time I have had to contact the cruise line is when one leg was not booked at the same time as the other. That is why I say whoever it is booked through needs to be spoken to

Mine always has been, the only time I have had to contact the cruise line is when one leg was not booked at the same time as the other. That is why I say whoever it is booked through needs to be spoken to

We booked three back-to-back while on-board in May for the following April-May and my TA was told to fill out the application to get the b-to-b OBC added. This is simply ridiculous.

Hi,I have now emailed Mr Twynam about the OBC but he is out of the office until July 25th so will let you all know the out come if and when I hear anything.

Does anyone here know the trick when trying to see what stateroom you're in,I used to be able to do it but can't remember how now.Oh the joys of getting older !! :D:D

Hi,I have now emailed Mr Twynam about the OBC but he is out of the office until July 25th so will let you all know the out come if and when I hear anything.

Does anyone here know the trick when trying to see what stateroom you're in,I used to be able to do it but can't remember how now.Oh the joys of getting older !! :D:D

Xpress passes for both cruises are available once online check in is complete and if it's been allocated it should be on there. Of course it's always possible that it could be allocated on embarkation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums