No cruise for us

So instead of leaving last Thurs to fly to board Radiance, I spent the day in the hospital :(:( Turns out I will need surgery (not life threatening but annoying and will get worse if not done). Trying to be very glass half full (in that it hit me Weds and not Sat while we were cruising the Inside Passage) but wishing I was in AK now instead of VA. :(:(

Already booked for next summer but this summer was better schedule wise for us.

Just needed to vent. Happy sailings all.

So instead of leaving last Thurs to fly to board Radiance, I spent the day in the hospital :(:( Turns out I will need surgery (not life threatening but annoying and will get worse if not done). Trying to be very glass half full (in that it hit me Weds and not Sat while we were cruising the Inside Passage) but wishing I was in AK now instead of VA. :(:(

Hope you are feeling better soon.

We are also sailing to Alaska next year.

How disappointing. But, like you said, better it happened before the cruise rather than on the cruise. With your reaction to the situation, I gather you took travel/trip insurance.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a great future cruise.

Sorry to hear that, but glad you're already booked for next year. Best of luck!

Venting is good...especially to those who can understand your disappointment.

CC has always been my escape and the cruise just an after thought;):rolleyes:

Good luck on a speedy recovery...I am sure you will see a silver lining as the days go by and understand why the cruise was not meant to be for you at this time.

Take Care, L:)ri

We had a two week transatlantic booked last year and had to cancel two days before because of unexpected surgery also. We had had so many different things go wrong before the cruise and that the final straw of not being able to go and laugh (after we cried). We told ourselves we actually saved 3000+ lives because if we had gone of the cruise it probably would have hit an ice berg!

I know you are disappointed but your health is so important. Get well soon and I know you'll enjoy your next cruise all the more!

Completely understand your need to Vent !

We / I would be the same way .

Have A Nice Day

J.L.

Hope your recovery is quick and complete. Same thing happened to us in March. Instead of packing for an Eastern Caribbean, we were in the ER two days before our cruise date preparing for surgery.

The good news was that the insurance paid us every $$ back (other than the cost of the insurance) in about two weeks, so we were able to book a replacement cruise for May.

I love Cruise Critic members! :D:D:D Thank you all so so much for your kind words. We did take trip insurance (first time I ever have :eek:) so hopefully we will get most of it back (don't think baggage fees will be refunded and lost some OBC but in the big picture…)

I didn't do a lot of pre-planning for this trip (with working FT, DS playing baseball in the spring, graduating in Jun and DD doing a spring sport with a lot of travel, we didn't have a lot of time) so I'm hoping to do a bunch of research as I recover so we can book early this time.

Again, thank you all for helping boost me up. One of the reasons I love coming here.

Happy and safe travels to everyone!!!

Sorry you missed your cruise, but you can look forward to the one next year as you're waiting for surgery. I was in the hospital recently and used my upcoming cruise as a focal point when things were tense. So nice to focus on a lovely cruise while waiting for the doctors to come in and wheel you into the OR.

Sorry to hear of the bad turn of events, neighbor. Good attitude though. You're right. The glass is neither half empty, nor half full. It's just waiting for a couple ice cubes, a double shot of vodka, a little fruit and an umbrella! :D

On the positive side . . . did you (at least) meet any cute doctors or nurses? :confused:

Last nurse I met had a full beard.

Kinda took the fun out of it. But . . . she did have a nice personality :eek: